New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter could feel nothing but dust and scraps of old plaster - sweeping his hand around as far as he could through the tight opening, he felt something small and hard under his hand, and pulled it out.

It was a rat-trap - fortunately, it already seemed to have been sprung, its bait missing. Stefan looked down at it nervously.

"Um, yes... should have said... you, uh, you should look out for those..."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-10 at 04:54 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

L'Ill

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar glanced at Illiiya, then leaned over to one of the folk clustered around the bill- one of the nobbier-looking ones, who could clearly read the thing. "What's that say, then?"
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Apparently, the rats had been either smart enough or lucky enough to eat the bait without getting caught in the trap. Probably the former; after his experience in the sewers yesterday, Pieter could no longer underestimate the filthy rodents.

But could they be blamed for the killings? Even if they had some disease that turned them into crazed predators, the idea seemed ridiculous. Unless, as Raffy suggested, they were controlled by someone. Wizards of the mysterious Amber Brotherhood were said to be able to command the beasts, but perhaps it was only hearsay.

"I think I'm done here."

As soon as he was out of the house and out of sight of anyone inside, Pieter took off his white ribbon. Just wearing the stupid thing made him feel dirty. While he pondered the next step in the investigation, he headed toward the Temple of Shallya to have his rashes examined.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy's goal becomes singular: to open that sewer grate and look inside at all cost. He can feel his focus bending to this one task, as if nothing else in the world could matter. He had to do it.

((In an effort to keep things moving along, here is another procedural synopsis of what I intend to do.))

1. Since neither cobbles nor flagstones are mortared, and the sturdiest thing holding the grate shut is the stone it's bolted to, Raffy will simply use his prybar to remove a couple of stones around it, then lever up the stones with the bolts. This should get it open.

2. If this somehow fails, he will pound on each nearby door until someone is willing to loan a sledge hammer to the town guard. Then he'll bash apart the stones and kick the grate off.

3. He'll remove his fancy overclothes and stick his head in. He'll toss in a burning brand from someone's hearth if need be to see.

4. If he sees anything that might constitute evidence that the rats are the murderers, he will force the guard to look in so that he has a witness. If the evidence is small and movable (unlikely) he'll climb in and retrieve it.

5. Then it's off to the guard house to see the Captain, then to the Crow.

I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    ”It’s saying down with the Hounds, is what it’s saying,” said the man, some kind of trader by the looks of him. “Says these murders are their fault, or ‘leastways they’re not doing anything to stop ‘em.” He squinted at the handbill. “Says the Lector done something bad, an’ this is a judgement.”
    “Aye, and they know what it is!” said another. “See, it says they’re going to publish it!”
    An uncertain murmur ran through the crowd in response, some seeming curious, others worried. Regardless of their attitude, the flyer’s claim certainly had their attention.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading out of the noble district and back towards the lower town, Pieter found his way through the winding streets that led towards the Neumarket, and the Temple of Shallya that lurked nearby.

A small building compared to the churches of the other gods on Tempelplatz, Shallya’s temple stood out clean and white from its squalid surroundings. A painted dove adorned the gate, wings spread as if in benediction to the decaying houses around it – an uncommon number of beggars had taken up position outside, preying on the charitably-inclined who stopped at the temple.

The gates stood open. Inside was a small courtyard, centred around a plain stone fountain. Separated by rows of unadorned stone columns, two walkways led off to either side of the quadrangle, occasional figures shuffling between them.

There was a polite cough to his left – looking round, he saw a white-robed novice of about his age standing there, looking straight back at him with a demure expression on her face.

“Do you need help, sir?”

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Prising up the stones into which the bars of the grate had been driven, Raffy removed his fancy new jacket, sticking his head down into the drain to the increasing bemusement of the watching guard.

The trap of the drain was clogged with the detritus of many rainfalls – old leaves, bits of gravel, and stagnant water. Leading away along the direction of the alley, a dark pipe opened to channel the overspill away, presumably into the sewers – far too narrow for anyone to pass, but wide enough to admit a small animal, like a street-cat or terrier. For rats, it was an open highway.

Running his fingers over the edge of the pipe, Raffy held them up to his face – there were traces of blood lingering there too. Squinting down its length, he tried to see if he could make out an end-point, but it clearly ran a long way: any light he stuck down here would only illuminate this end.

[OOC: I don’t know if you consider this to be the kind of evidence you were looking for, but if it is, then consider the guard to have gone along with you showing him.]

Once his investigation was complete, the Sparrowhawk set off briskly towards Judge’s Square and the Guard House – the place looked busy, a number of citizens lined up outside the door while uniformed men passed in and out. Heading inside, he was directed to Marius’ office, where he found the captain writing something out for a man with the grimy apron and inky fingers of a printer.

Marius looked up as Raffy entered the room, a light of anticipation kindling in his eyes.

“Yes?” he asked, keenly. “Have you found something?”

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading down towards Manor Street at a gentle stroll, Ithelus found his way to Samtzunge House – it was easy to find, its high roof and stone façade making it stand out among its neighbours.

It looked like a tough nut to crack: the front door was thick, sturdy oak, the lower windows lead-latticed with metal frames too small to admit entry. Some of the upper windows might have served, but the walls were smooth stonework, not plaster or timber that might have given easy handholds. On top of that, there was an overhang – and the street in front was broad and open, anyone in the houses across the street or who happened to be passing by would have a clear view of you if you tried to scale the front.

The other sides looked little more promising. On the left, more stone walls, reaching up to the slate roof: the roof itself was higher than its neighbours, and its chimneys tall and narrow, making it an awkward prospect for a rooftop entry. On the right side and to the back, the stone wall of the stableyard extended out from the back of the house – around nine feet high, it had the one gate, with a smaller door for people to come and go set into it. The wall of the yard itself was rougher than the stonework of the manor, but along its top, short cast-iron spikes had been set in place to discourage anyone who felt like climbing it. The old house had clearly been designed with the security of its inhabitants firmly in mind

Completing his circuit of the house, Ithelus found himself back on Manor Street, the fox on the coat of arms over the front door grinning down at him once more.

Go on, it seemed to be saying. Try and burgle me.

OOC: I’ll try and make a rough map for you this evening. Hopefully this’ll do for now.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-11 at 06:02 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #306

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar raised a brow. "Oh? Int'resting. Did he publish his name? I bet the Hounds won't like that sort of talk..."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Says... 'Martin Marpralat'," said the man, squinting to read the name.

"Here, that's the same name that was on the other one I read yesterday," said one of the others.
    "Yeah, well," said another, "stands to reason it'd be the same man." He blinked, looking at the handbill. "This one's a bit... fiercer, though."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #308

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye. Poor bloke- I reckon if I were him, I'd find a nice quiet spot for a bit. The Hounds'll be nippin' at his nethers once they see this." Lothar paused and scratched at his face. "Anyone here see who pasted it up?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right. Let's see if 1) we can track this chap down and 2) let's go pay a visit to Lothar's favourite Huntress. Illiiya, you in?
    Games:

=

=

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate would gladly have handed out pennies to the beggars, but decided against it until he was sure his disease was not too contagious.

"Do you need help, sir?" a young novice asked him.

"I do," answered Pieter curtly but politely, pointing at the rashes on his face. "Got bit by a rat, and I need to know what disease this is. Who do I see?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-11 at 07:58 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy gets the guard's name ((I'm gonna call him Baasch unless you already have something for him)) and tells him to remain at his post so the body won't be unattended while it awaits Frankl. He does make him peer down the pipe however, and makes sure he understand the importance of it. He prompts the man's answers if need be to ensure he gets it right.

"Mister Baasch, what do you see smeared all over the inside of that pipe?"
    ((blood))
    "And look at the alley - would the rain have washed it all the way over there?"
    ((no))
    "And is there a slaughterhouse or other source of blood here?"
    ((no))
    "So then something carried the blood from the murder over here and down, right?"
    ((yes))
    "And what is this?"
    ((shows him the rat hair - makes sure he knows what it is))

"So who or what do we think might've taken the gore down the drain, Mister Baasch?"

This one he lets the man reason out on his own. Once he has heard a satisfactory conclusion he says, "And you tell that to Captain von Brucker when he asks. You hear?"

Racing into Captain's office, the guard who let him in barely has a chance to open the door before the Sparrowhawk is in the room, hat removed and held in his left hand out of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Marius SIR
    “Have you found something?”
    "I have, Sir. But I don't expect you want this gentleman present, Sir."

He waits while the Captain either finishes his business with the printer or shoos him out - in the latter case, the Sparrowhawk gives him an apologetic nod as he goes by, and then firmly closes the door behind him.

"Sir, have you put out the word to kill rats? Have you Sir?" His tone is almost desperate.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-08-11 at 11:56 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius apologised to the printer – seeming equinanimous about the being dismissed, the man made his respects to the captain and left, taking a piece of paper with him.

Turning to Raffy, he nodded at the question, gesturing at the door where the printer had just left.
    “That’s what I was talking to Mr Bechtermünze about. Drafting the handbill we’ll be printing to post up around the town. Why?”

OOC: Baasch it is. I like it

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The novice blinked politely, a little uncertain.

“I’m sorry – do you wish a benediction said over you?” She paused, seeming a little new at this. “Or to commit yourself – um, consign... to be looked after in the infirmary?”

[hr]

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Anyone here see who pasted it up?"
    A chorus of “no”s rose from the assembled citizens, some of them repeating themselves enthusiastically just to make it clear that they didn’t know any such person, no sir. Lothar’s comment about 'nethers' had clearly struck a chord of common sense among the crowd.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-11 at 01:46 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'd like to go to the infirmary," answered Pieter. "I won't be staying. I just need someone to look at this" (he gestured at his face) "and tell me what can be done about it. Of course, a prayer can't hurt."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-11 at 12:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The novice looked a little mortified.

"It is faith that heals," she said, quietly. Seeming to feel the newcomer had been adequately chastised, she turned to one of the doors in the side of the quadrangle, gesturing for Pieter to follow. "This way."

Heading inside the temple, Pieter found himself in a low, long room with whitewashed walls: rough pallets bearing the sickly poor filled the silent space, women in the white gowns of the priesthood glided silently about to minister to their charges.

An older woman, with a stern face and vestments that suggested superior standing to Pieter's young guide, approached them.

"Who is this gentleman, Elsebeth?" she asked, briskly.
    "Mother Glauben," said the novice with the utmost sincerity, her head bowed in deference, "this man seeks healing for his face." She paused. "He has been attacked by a rodent, and believes he is diseased."
    Mother Glauben looked at Pieter's face with an expression that seemed to imply that she would be the judge of that. Reaching out, she surprised him by pinching the skin around the wound rather hard, watching the change in colour with no attention to Pieter's reaction.

"Very well. See to it, sister."
    "Yes, mother." The novice turned to Pieter again. "This way," she repeated.

Seating Pieter on one of the few vacant beds, she opened a scarred and ancient cupboard, producing a jar of something green and sticky. Squinting closely at the wound, she applied the salve with her forefinger and middle finger held together - it stung like nothing else, the strong smell making Pieter feel rather light-headed.

Murmuring prayers to Shallya under her breath, she passed her hand quickly in front of his face in the sign of the dove, binding a swatch of gauze to the wound. Pressing her hand to his forehead, she closed her eyes, counting to ten.

"You should be fine," she said, straightening up and smoothing out the creases in her white gown. "The skin is just angry where it has been bitten. Shallya will watch over you."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Captain, it's true. The murders are truly being committed by the rats."

He takes a deep breath and then states his case.

"Sir, I have visited two of the murder sites. The murders before were largely indoors. More of them are outdoors now - the day after the tunnel system that leads secretly into houses was partially collapsed. There's more, Sir--" he tries to hasten on to prevent Marius dismissing him. "At the site on Manor Street, your man Baasch showed me where the body was found. It was in the same alley as a sewer grate, but nowhere near enough that any of the rain would have washed the blood down the grate. When I opened the grate I found that the inside of the sewer pipe was nonetheless completely smeared in blood. The buggers took pieces of him down there, Sir. No human could fit through that drain, not even a child. I also found rat hair on the sewer grate. Baasch can attest to all of this. Rats fit through anything Sir - there have to be a lot of them before it's such a tight fit that their hair gets caught on the way."

Another deep breath and hurrying onward.

"Sir, I would also encourage you to compare my definite rat bites to any of the corpses. The bodies often have little tiny marks that are neither weapons nor wolf bites. They're rat bites, sir. The bodies aren't being eaten - they're being nibbled. Gnawed. Rats can climb right into the wounds, it's why they're such a mess."

He seems to relax a bit as he comes to the end of his argument. "It doesn't explain the symbols carved in two of them, Sir, but it does explain all the others. Sir, if we can control the rats, we will see a decline in murders, Sir."

If Marius does not think him completely bonkers he is willing to suggest a plan of action:

"We have about four hours till sunset, Sir. Everyone in town has to know to kill rats by then. Or stuff up their holes with plaster. Additionally Sir... well, please consider this, Sir. If the guard went to all of the sewer openings with a pile of firewood and a bellows, we could start a fire inside of each sewer grate. Put a flagstone over it and use the bellows to feed air, Sir. The entire sewers would fill with smoke. Thousands of rats would suffocate, Sir. With that, and citizens being vigilant, we'd stop the rats all in one night.... though the wizard controlling them would still be at large, of course."

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius’ expression was sceptical, but not disbelieving.

“To the best of my knowledge, the bodies with the... symbol, or whatever it is, haven’t been gnawed on at all like the others. A clean cut to the throat, and that’s it.” He paused. “The others, though... Sigmar save us, that must be powerful sorcery.”

Sitting back into his chair, he seemed to lapse into thought.
    “The brothers Bechtermünze will have the notice printed today – I’ll have the men putting them up before sunset. Maybe it ought to be more emphatic than what I wrote, but if we recall it now it might not get done in time.” He paused. “Do you know how many rats there are in Delberz right now? I don’t, but I fear the answer. Manor Street and the like might be easy enough to protect, but the lower town...”

If the guard went to all of the sewer openings with a pile of firewood and a bellows, we could start a fire inside of each sewer grate. Put a flagstone over it and use the bellows to feed air, Sir. The entire sewers would fill with smoke. Thousands of rats would suffocate, Sir. With that, and citizens being vigilant, we'd stop the rats all in one night.... though the wizard controlling them would still be at large, of course."
    Marius looked dubious.

“The sewers haven’t been properly maintained in decades – I’m not sure there’s anyone left who even knows where every exit is. The last sewerjack threw in the job when I was still a boy.” He considered the idea further. “I suppose there are the obvious outlets along the riverbank... but you said yourself, the rats can use the drains. Even if the sewers aren't too porous to smoke them out, do we want to drive a swarm of rats up onto the streets?” He looked Raffy in the eye. “Rats that, if you are right, are hungry for blood?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-11 at 02:50 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy grins at the Captain. He had been waiting for that.

"It'd be a hell of a battle, Sir. But it'd be on our terms."

He pauses to let it sink in and then adds, "That is, if we choose which sewer opening not to put fires in."

If needed he'll add that guards could start walking the streets looking for drains and grates now, and find them all before sunset. They don't need to know the layout of the sewers, just where there are openings. It can't be more than one per block...

((OOC: what was done with Puderbrand's corpse?))

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius seemed doubtful.

"One man for every drain," he said, slowly. "Teams for the fires at every outlet, and all of them to be ready for a fight. I couldn't put a figure on it, but I'd say that's more men than we have."

OOC: Puderbrand and the other mutants' corpses were burned.

Also, taking your 'one drain for every block' approximation... take a gander at the map, try and count how many blocks there are. Bear in mind, this isn't a modern town, the concept of a 'block' is fairly higgledy-piggledy at best.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((OOC: but the sewers don't run under the whole town, just part of it, right? And these are small medieval blocks, not Chicago blocks.))

"Two men at every opening," Raffy correct absent-mindedly. Regaining his respectful attitude he says,

"Sir, I see how it may be impossible to organise this for tonight. We can simply try to block holes and warn citizens today if need be. But every day that goes by, the rats can work on more new tunnels...."

He stands up a little straighter and meets the Captain's eye. "The Sparrowhawk will pay a penny for every dead rat. We can announce it tomorrow, smoke the sewers in the evening, and the citizen volunteers will swell alongside your guards... plus there's the Hounds. Dead rats can be brought to the main gate the next morning, and I'll pay out in person before we burn 'em. I can cover.... uh...." He struggles with the math. "Ahem, twenty thousand of 'em, Sir, if there's that many."

He takes a more sidelong look at Marius. "And sir... I'd put the Hounds right where we're driving the most rats, Sir." he almost wants to wink at the captain after making this statement, but resists the temptation. He does smile a little though.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Marius was starting to appear more convinced.

"As it happens, I've already put a penny bounty on rat-tails in the notice," he said, with a brief smile. "I appreciate your offer, but I think the Guard coffers can cover an indefinite number of rats." He shrugged. "We were already warning the people to take counter-measures; I thought it might be better to appeal to their greed than their fear."

"You're right that this could take a while to organise. But if we take volunteers, rope in the Hounds... we could gather up the fuel and have it ready by tomorrow." The appeal of the idea seemed to be growing on him. "At least we would be doing something. And the people will be warned about tonight." He nodded to himself. "I can double the patrols going into the lower town, spread the word by ear as well as the printed notice. Verena knows, most of those peasants never learned to read."

A thought seemed to strike him - he looked back at Raffy. "I'll have to tell the Witch Hunter about this, too. He may want to speak to you. Will you be staying here, or will I have to find you somewhere else?"

OOC:
    but the sewers don't run under the whole town, just part of it, right?
    That's the thing: no-one really knows any more.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-11 at 03:49 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

OOC: if there are whole neighbourhoods where streets become flooded messes for half a day after a heavy rainstorm, then the sewer doesn't run under the whole town. Surely the captain and other locals would know whether such inconvenience occurs each spring?

(My guess is the sewers run under a part of town that corresponds near perfectly to the path of the murders...)

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-08-11 at 04:03 PM.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "You're an angel, Elsebeth," Pieter smiled at the girl. "Ranald watch over you."

He did not usually speak of his worship of Ranald to strangers, but he was sure the young woman would not frown upon it. Ranald and Shallya were all in all not so different: both abhorred violence and had a soft spot for outcasts and the poor.

On his way out of the building the initiate donated a few coins to the beggars, but made sure none of them came within arm's reach of his purse.

Out of ideas, he went to the Crow to meet with the others.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Raffy
    As it happens, I've already put a penny bounty on rat-tails in the notice. I appreciate your offer, but I think the Guard coffers can cover an indefinite number of rats.
    Raffy succeeds in supressing a disappointed frown at the news. It was good of Marius, but.... I'm not going to get famous if YOU do it.

I'll have to tell the Witch Hunter about this, too. He may want to speak to you. Will you be staying here, or will I have to find you somewhere else?
    "I'm staying at the Hammer and Tongs, Sir. Though I also have some business at the Graf's Arms tonight, so I could be at either one depending on the hour." That ought to keep him busy.

"By the way Sir, I know you will need to coordinate everything across the city - but you may want to wait until the last possible moment tomorrow to announce the smoking plan. Rats could be--"
    He suddenly looks around the floor of the room as if checking for rodents or rodent-holes. "They could be listening anywhere sir, and the more the word spreads, the more likely they know. We'd want them to be in the sewers amassing for a murder in the evening when we start.

"Oh, and Sir - the Manor Street murder was frighteningly close to, ah, Samtzunge House, Sir. I recall you have some affection for the Lady Samtzunge. You may want to send one or two of your best by to protect her, Sir."

With that out, unless the Captain has anything else to say, he'll head for the Crow.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Lothar + Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Bad. Bad bad bad. Trying t-to tear the city apart. It's all going to come apart. Illiiya said looking over the bill, Killings bring chaos. These b-bills.... more chaos. They both serve the same purpose. I know it's her.

Illiiya looked to Lothar, concerned. From the look in her eyes, it seemed like he was the only one left she felt she could turn to.

Wh.... where... will we go? The one who posted it is j-just... a lackey. We're... chasing scraps of nothing. Ghosts on the wind.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

24. - Top - End - #324

Lothar and Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "I have an idea," Lothar said to Illiiya. Turning to the crowd he grinned and saluted them. "Wise, you lot. Now we're gonna head off, afore some lost puppies come along, white collars around their throats, eh?"

Grinning, the ex-soldier pulled the elven woman aside. "I know who it is has that story 'bout the Lector. She'll give us a clue, I'll wager."
    Games:

=

=

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus inspects the place. I've done worse.... but now magic is involved. He curses slightly. I'll have to see what Kliener's associates say.

He then inspects the surrounding buildings to see if they could provide and aid in getting over the wall.

Once he is done he turns round and makes his way to the Crow.
    Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "By the way Sir, I know you will need to coordinate everything across the city - but you may want to wait until the last possible moment tomorrow to announce the smoking plan. Rats could be--" He suddenly looks around the floor of the room as if checking for rodents or rodent-holes. "They could be listening anywhere sir, and the more the word spreads, the more likely they know. We'd want them to be in the sewers amassing for a murder in the evening when we start.
    “You think they’re spying on us,” said Marius – he couldn’t prevent a flat note of disbelief creeping into his voice. “Well, we’ll have to tell the people eventually. But I’ll see what can be done.”

"Oh, and Sir - the Manor Street murder was frighteningly close to, ah, Samtzunge House, Sir. I recall you have some affection for the Lady Samtzunge. You may want to send one or two of your best by to protect her, Sir."
    Marius seemed momentarily surprised that Raffy knew – recovering his balance admirably, he shook his head, his tone of voice discouraging any further speculation by the Sparrowhawk on his employer’s ‘affections’.

“The last murder last night was beyond Manor Street – if they move on again as they have before, she’ll be safe in their wake.” He looked down, shuffling some papers without much purpose. “We can’t be seen to be showing anyone special favour, or every noble in the city will be clamouring for a body of armed guards.”

He shook his head, doing his best to dismiss the subject.

“I’ll start making the arrangements for tomorrow immediately. In the meantime, if you’re right – if this is going to work – that means that someone is controlling the rats. There’s no way such behaviour could be natural. We mustn’t lose sight of who we’re after – the murderer, not his disgusting little pets.”

He watched Raffy’s face, making sure he understood. Nodding, he gestured to the door. “Good work. You’re dismissed.”

Heading to the Crow, Raffy met Pieter at the door, the initiate returning from the direction of the Neumarket. He had a fresh dressing over the wound on his face, and his hands were grimy with dust.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The Crow was not far from here – heading to the run-down tavern, he met Raffy at the door, the Sparrowhawk returning from the direction of Judge’s Square. He was wearing a fine new hat.

[hr]

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Heading across the river, Lothar and Illiiya made their way towards the fields, and the tumbledown hovels that crouched on the boundary between the town and the surrounding countryside.

Going by memory, the ex-soldier managed to find his way back to Ilsa’s home – the woman was standing outside, unsaddling her horse. By the look of the animal, she had just got back from a long ride.

She looked around at Lothar’s approach, a wary expression coming over her face as she noticed Illiiya – she clearly had a peasant’s superstitious aversion to elves.

“You’ve come back?” she said, guardedly.

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, the adjoining buildings were high-sided houses in much the same vein – a jump from their rooftops into the stableyard seemed a fairly suicidal prospect.

Making his way back to the Crow, he saw Raffy and Pieter practically bump into each other outside the door.

OOC: They’ve been notified that they’ve seen each other, but not you. Feel free to join their spoilers from here on however you see fit.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-12 at 07:02 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #327

L&I

Spoiler
    Show
    "Dunno what you mean- I'm only meeting you just now," Lothar said, grinning. He jerked a thumb at Illiiya. "This is Illiiya. She's an elf, but she's alright anyway."

He went to stroke his beard, paused awkwardly, and looked at the ground. "Uh. There's some new posters in town, claimin' that someone knows something awful 'bout a certain minister o' the Hammer." He looked at Ilsa. "And is goin' to publish it. Know anything about it?"
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    “That Klaus Ziemlich was up in my ear about something like that a few days back,” said Ilsa, continuing to unsaddle the horse with a surprising lack of concern. “I’ve been out of town, though. Your telling me is the first I've heard of this.”

She looked round at Lothar again, dumping the unharnessed saddlebags on the ground. They seemed full.

“They mention my name?” she said, her voice a little sharper than before.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #329

Spoiler
    Show
    The soldier shook his head. "No. But this 'Martin' fellow who signed the poster- well. You know which one he is? Klaus? Maybe I can have a word in his lily-white ear, y' know. Ask him to lay off."

Lothar nudged one of the bags with his foot. "Want a hand?"
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-08-12 at 08:38 AM.
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Oh, hi, Rafale," Pieter greeted him with a broad smile. "Nice hat. Maybe you peasants do have a sense of style, after all."

He looked around furtively and lowered his voice.

"I'd rather chew broken glass than admit this, but I owe you an apology. At first, I thought your idea about the rats being responsible for the murders was complete nonsense. I'm still skeptical, but now I'm at least willing to consider it."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: