New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Took them long enough, thought Pieter with irritation when Raffy and Ithelus entered the Crow.

"Secret meeting is over? Nothing I needed to know, I take it?" he said, his voice coming out more bitter than he intended.

A few minutes later, Lothar and Illiiya joined them. Pieter patiently waited for the conversations to resume before addressing the others, keeping his voice low.

"Just learned that the Society has nailed another pamphlet all over town. Apparently even more subversive than the first. Don't know what Klaus is thinking, but his timing is very poor. I hope no one in the Society sells him out."

He sighed, finished his ale and turned to Lothar.

"So, anything interesting? Right now I'm pretty much stumped, but the few clues I found seem to support Rafale's Killer Rats Theory."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-16 at 12:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy doesn't ask Pieter for the promised drink, and if it appears, he takes a long while before touching it. He seems quiet and distant as he listens to Pieter's gripes and then the greetings of the others when they arrive.

Once everyone is assembled he announces, "I've got a sort of job this afternoon.... It'd go quicker with more eyes. I'm going to walk the whole town and..."

He lowers his voice. "Figure out where all the sewer openings are. Look for 'em, and also ask everyone along the way. Some might be real old, or clogged up, or hidden. But we have to find them."

He takes a sip at his weak beer and explains. "Marius agrees that the rats are the murder weapon. We won't have a strategy or know how many men are needed until we know as many openings as possible. We have to assume all the murder sites have a tunnel entrance. Beyond that we need to find the sewers. Then tomorrow, he can start mobilising."

He says nothing of... the other plan.

Sucking air through his teeth he looks at Pieter. "You can write, can't you? I guess that would be... useful."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #363
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter listened patiently to Raffy's plan. Finding another way to the tunnels was also what he had in mind, although he was none too eager to go back in.

"You can write, can't you? I guess that would be... useful."

The initiate nodded. "Yes, of course. What do you need?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-16 at 12:25 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well... we'd need to make a map. If you can draw, too."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter shrugged.

"Anyone can make a map. I'm not sure I'm better than anyone else here, but I can give it a try."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ettin in the Playground

Rafale looks around to see if any of the others want to help locate sewer openings.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

After returning with the now-beardless soldier, Illiiya took a seat beside Ithelus, giving him an odd look for a moment before she scootched up against his arm, took his hand and seemed to settle in quietly. She seemed half-aware and spacey, as well as very quiet. It was fairly usual for her... and a far cry better than the panic attacks and nervous demeanor she had but a few days prior. A change for the better, perhaps. She did seem uncommonly quiet, however.

Oh. C-can we... can we stay here for a little while.... b-before we go out looking? She said suddenly, in a quiet, almost demure tone. Ithelus? Sahl torrin vae taal? Maers t'loren salaris?

Translation for those who know elven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Ithelus? Do you have lodging? Can we speak alone?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

8. - Top - End - #368
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus shrugs, 'I'm pre-occupied tonight, sorry bout that.'
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #369
    Ettin in the Playground

"Well this would need to be done before nightfall," Raffy repeats. "Perhaps we can steal you till then?"

10. - Top - End - #370
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar shrugged, taking his own seat. "Aye, 's a good a plan as any." He shot a glance across at Pieter. "I've seen those posters. Damn idiotic actions, if you ask me. I want you to find the woman who's writin' 'em, if you can. A former acolyte of Verena, name of Magda- works for Klaus."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

11. - Top - End - #371
    Titan in the Playground

"Heard of her," Pieter said with a nod. "She never comes to Society meetings, but I suppose I could find her. I meant to have a chat with Klaus about those pamphlets, anyway. I guarantee nothing: idealists tend to be annoyingly stubborn. But Karl will be with me, and perhaps I can get Maria to threaten to withdraw her support."

He shrugged.

"With a killer on the loose, it's not the first of our concerns. I'll take care of it when we get some spare time. So, Lothar, what about you? Where have you been?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-17 at 09:10 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

12. - Top - End - #372

The soldier waved away the question. "I'm not asking you to speak with her on my behalf. I want to talk to her. Tomorrow, for preference, after we're done pluggin' rat-holes."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter's eyes narrowed at the soldier. He opened his mouth to speak, closed it, then finally said:

"No other leads to work with, then? So let's get on with the sewer duty. We should start with the southeastern side of the city."

Where the recent murders took place... or will take place tonight.

"I'll have to buy some ink and parchment on the way, for the map."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

14. - Top - End - #374
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus raises an eyebrow at Raffy's choice of words, there was little doubt in his mind that they were deliberate. Turning to Illiiya he nods, 'Excuse us,' He then stands up and leads Illiiya out of the Crow.
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Raffy looks disappointed but doesn't try to stop the elves. I hope he talks to her, he thinks. Ith doesn't trust me anymore... it's too bad, I liked that guy.

He'll go with Pieter and agree to starting on the SE side. "I expect the sewer lines will follow the path of the murders," he says to no one in particular."
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-08-18 at 02:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

Secretive-type elven meeting

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya looked about, awkwardly as the two stepped outside... seeming more anxious and nervous with every step. She ended up moderately content with a little nook to the side of the building, where at least there didn't seem to be so many people about.

Do not even think to-

After shuffling her feet in nervous reluctance for a moment, Illiiya stepped forward and grabbed tight to the front of Ithelus' shirt, pressing her lips to his in the awkward manner of someone not entirely familiar with the nuances of the gesture.

(That seems an appropriate enough place to await a response.)
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

17. - Top - End - #377
    Ogre in the Playground

The Elves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus's head jerks back and a look of mild terror crosses his eyes, 'Wow, hang on... what - what was that?' Calming a little he looks her straught in the eye, 'What brought that on?'
    Sigatar by Me

18. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

After a short while, the elves came back inside, seeming infuriating mysterious about whatever had occurred in private between them. Gathering up their effects, the party set out on their sewer-mapping mission, the tension between Raffy and Pieter simmering down as they set to work.

Securing stick of charcoal and a map of the town from a man in the Neumarket who claimed to sell maps of all kinds of remarkable places – and seemed rather disappointed that they only wanted one of Delberz. It was a rough, sketchy thing, quite unlike the great map in the Guard House upon which Marius was tracking the murder sites – nonetheless, it would do.

Heading south-east, they began in the vicinity of the latest killings. The people of Manor Road and its surroundings seemed less than enthusiastic in assisting them – nobles, richly-dressed burghers and liveried servants catching the scent of the common people on the Captain’s investigators. Still, the streets were clean and well-made, and the drains not hard to find – a surprising number of them, the artisans who had built these streets clearly having paid more attention to detail than the slapdash expansion of the lower town.

It took some time to find them all – or at least, as close an approximation to ‘all’ as could be made with four people searching the unfamiliar streets of the well-to-do by eye. Circling west, away from the river, they began to find their way into smaller, windier streets, the homes and businesses of the craftsmen and established city-dwellers who existed to supply the needs of the wealthy. Pieter’s map began to swarm with dusty little dots as the more approachable burghers helped them to locate the storm drains and coverings that led down into the sewers – they covered the same area in half the time, news of their task beginning to spread ahead of them as they went.

By the time they had crossed the Altdorf Road, they had more than a couple of curious spectators trailing after them: in the dishevelled alleys around New Street, Raffy began to find willing accomplices in the street children, each ragged urchin dancing away with a shining coin gripped in a grubby paw as they scurried off to search the muddy gutters of the lower town. Their findings poured in at a remarkable rate, the Sparrowhawk practically haemorrhaging pennies – Pieter managed to save him something of the order of a shilling by pointing out when different children were reporting the same drain.

As they worked their way north, through the Neumarket and the worst slums of the west side of the city, the frequency of their findings fell off rapidly, the square, barred drains they had found around Manor Street replaced by the occasional rusted manhole or old wooden hatch. Opening a couple of them, the smell that wafted up soon persuaded them to stop doing so – if these sewers were still functioning at all, they were no longer draining as they should. The lack of new discoveries didn’t stop Raffy’s train of children following after them, however, their initial enthusiasm for the treasure-hunt turning into a ruthless competition to be the first to a particular find. More than one group of children practically knocked him off his feet in their flat-out running races to get back first.

It was hard not to draw attention at the centre of such a circus – skirting the edge of the knot of Hounds that still lingered in Helstrum’s Ward, Raffy found the locals volunteering all sorts of contradictory ‘facts’ about the old sewers that they had heard from their parents, or their grandparents, or this old dwarf, I met him in the Arms this one time, he knew all about it.

“The Baron back in those days, he was going to have ‘em dwarf-built, but the cost was too high, so he had ‘em done on the cheap. That’s why they’re all falling down – shoddy craftsmanship. It’s dangerous, that’s what it is.”

“There used to be sewerjacks to clean those ol’ places out, but the last of ‘em chucked it in years back. Now they’re just collectin’ muck. I heard they had to close Fleischer’s butcher-shop down, on account of it seepin’ up.”

“Weren’t that mutant feller trying to dig a tunnel through ‘em? Right up to Brass Keep, I heard, so those Norther bastards holed up there could come and murder us all in our beds.”

As they progressed through the lower town, Raffy noticed that they had other spectators – the omnipresent rats, scuttling around the corners of the alleys and byways of the ramshackle blocks. There were always rats here, but the young bounty hunter couldn’t help but feel that a couple of them stared longer and harder at the party than was right. Maybe he was just imagining it. Maybe.

It was when they reached the Walden Road – their progress from the Neumarket having been exceptionally swift, there being practically no drains in their path – that they crossed the path of a couple of men in the livery of the Guard nailing a handbill to a prominent wall. Their crowd of onlookers drifted over to read it, joined by a similar number of other citizens from the street around them – it looked freshly-printed, the arms of the city stamped at its base.

[Handbill]

A literate fellow amongst the crowd read it out – within what seemed like mere moments, the sewer-hunters had lost their entourage, idle adults and avaricious children alike scattering to every point of the compass in search of the easy pennies that scuttled freely through the streets. At Illiiya’s feet, Mr Cat purred in seeming satisfaction as a huge rat fled squeaking across the road, two children chasing after the creature with improvised bludgeons battering the ground behind it.

Heading round to the east, they encountered a brief resurgence in the number of drains in the area around Leitpold Square – crossing over the bridge on the Drakwald Road, they found themselves in an area of town that seemed to have no sewers at all, although there were enough rats around the warehouses on the east bank and the edges of the Fields to keep the amateur rat-catchers of the town busy for a fortnight.

By the square at the convergence of the Middenheim and Schoppendorf roads, there were a couple of sewer drains – mainly close to the river, seeming to be later additions to the system than the network that ran under the old town on the west bank. Doing their best to make a thorough search of the surrounding area, they finally crossed back over the river, towards Sigmarstrasse and the heart of the city. By now the the sun was dipping fast towards the horizon – rising tall above the shadowed streets, the unfinished spire of the cathedral stood in stark silhouette against the reddening sunset, the ant-like figures of the workers in its scaffolding packing up their tools for the day and slowly crawling down out of their aerial nest.

The old streets around Tempelplatz seemed to have the highest concentration of sewer openings yet – storm drains ringed the square, while the surrounding houses seemed amply supplied with draining gutters and dunny-hatches. It would not do, after all, for people to empty their waste into the streets around the houses of the gods. With the day’s business dispersing, the narrow streets that ringed the temple district proved perhaps the most taxing to search: twilight was already ebbing away by the time Raffy was satisfied they were finished.

For their pains, they had a map of the city that was speckled with hundreds of tiny dots. Looking at the way they were clustered, it was not hard to imagine where the sewers ran, although their precise layout remained a mystery. It only remained to be seen whether it could be put to good use...

OOC: Whoever’s paying, deduct yourself 1 gold crown for the map & charcoal. Maps take skill, don’tcherknow. Raffy should also deduct himself a full crown's worth of expenditure on Bow Street Runners enterprising kids.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

On the way to the Neumarket, Pieter drew closer to Illiiya and spoke to her in a low voice, smiling:

"Hey. I wanted to apologize for my, um, loss of control in Maria's house. It was horrible on my part, and I'd like to make up for it. I can buy you a gift... Say, a skirt, a necklace, something like that. Just tell me what you want."

[hr]

While they searched the city for sewer drains, Pieter made sure to hide his face behind his map or someone else's head every time they met Hounds: he did not want to be recognized if he tried to infiltrate them again. He also kept an eye on Raffy: as soon as the young man was busy speaking to a gaggle of children, he edged closer to Lothar and murmured something to him.

Lothar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Um, Lothar. I'm a bit worried about Rafale and Ithelus. They're not telling me everything. Just before you joined us at the Crow, they had a private conversation away from me. Coincidentally, they're also the two men who have held a blade against my throat during the past two days. I can't force them to like me, but I'm sure you'll agree that we can't let their distrust get in the way of our job. You're with me, right?"

((OOC: Since Ithelus and Illiiya are nearby, perhaps they can eavesdrop with a Perception test. GM's call, as usual.))

[hr]

At twilight, Pieter examined the map more closely.

"That's a lot of drains," he commented, "I'm not even sure guarding them all will be enough to stop the killings: the rats are pretty much everywhere in this city."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-20 at 10:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

20. - Top - End - #380

Pieter:

Spoiler
    Show
    "Is that so? Interesting." The soldier frowned, then glanced at the Raffy before looking away. "I'll, ah. Keep an open mind, then."

===

At twilight: "Oh, I suppose. But folk'll be peerin' a lot more at rats, I guess. I suppose this could be our revenge, for that beatin' they gave us." He scratched at his leg absently.
    Games:

=

=

21. - Top - End - #381
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Prior: with Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya looked equal parts awkward and hesitant, but moved in again to try and kiss Ithelus... reaching a hand for a very private place, only to be rebuked in shock.

Ith... please! I don't want t-to lose you too. She said pleadingly, almost as if someone had a knife to her and was forcing her words, She's got everyone else... I d-don't want you to go too. I can't do what she does... but I can do this. Why is she better than me at everything?! I... I d-don't mind... if it means you'll stay. Please let me do this. I can't lose you.

She clung to his shirt and begged, seeming ready to cry or have a break down.

(I'm only assuming she's rebuked. If not, let me know and this shall be corrected.)

Later: With the whole crew.

Illiiya kept pace with the group, looking out of focus and spaced-out... as she often did. She barely spoke the entire trip, just holding Mr. Cat and gazing about in a near-vacant manner. It was hard to say if something was wrong or not, but if she was having one of her "moments" it was at least the quiet kind.

She barely reacted when Pieter moved towards her, not seeming to notice he was there until he spoke. She turned to him quickly, as if he'd startled her... and actually took a step back flinchingly.

Don't want a skirt. I want someone to believe me. She said softly to him, She's controlling you. Otherwise... you hit me on your own... And then I would have to kill you.

The strangely dark tone her voice took on for those last few words seemed almost like another person... even though it shared her voice. If it was a joke, she was a masterful actor.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

Don't want a skirt. I want someone to believe me. She said softly to him, She's controlling you. Otherwise... you hit me on your own... And then I would have to kill you.
    Pieter blinked.

"Ah, uh. Possibly," he said cautiously. "Now that you mention it... It was the first time I hit a girl, you know. I'm sure I wasn't in my normal state."

Maybe she was joking, but Pieter would rather not take a chance.

[hr]

To Lothar:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter smiled. "Thank you. Glad to see there's still a sensible person in this little group. We won't get anywhere if we're always working behind each other's back."

And yes, I'm aware of the hypocrisy of talking in secret about trying to work in team.

[hr]

Later

The evening was still young: it was winter and the sun set early. Pieter was sure there was more they could do today.

"Hey... Has any of you seen one of the Society's new pamphlets, or have they already been taken down?"

I'd sure look stupid if I berated them about it without even knowing what it's about.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-21 at 07:43 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

The Sparrowhawk seems content to spend penny after penny and err on the side of over-paying rather than short-changing the kids. When they run off to hunt rats he cheers them on, as he does any time he sees citizens heeding the Captain's poster.

As twilight engulfs the city, however, he becomes more and more edgy. Once they have completed the maps he seems downright unsettled.

"I haven't seen the pamphlets," he says absent-mindedly. Then: "Pieter, you seem lively, can you deliver the map to the Captain? This sickness is getting to me. I think I need to return to my lodging."

If Pieter won't do it he'll take the map himself and promise to deliver it in the morning. Then he bids adieu, and heads off on his own down the city streets, picking up the pace whenever he sees rats in the gloam.

LCP only:
    Spoiler
    Show

Is there any kind of salve or anything I might be able to get from the Doc that might allow me to recover a Wound or two? I am really worried the rats are going to try to murder me tonight.

If so I'll stop by the Doc's, if not I'll go to the place where I'm lodging tonight

Either way please consider that I make frequent Perception checks to see if any of the others are following me. If I don't have to go to the Doc's then I'll use a few extra minutes to vary my route through the streets, head toward the Tongs a bit first, etc., to lose any tails.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Another_Poet View Post
    "Pieter, you seem lively, can you deliver the map to the Captain?"
    "But I don't even work for him," Pieter argued. "And I don't want the Hounds to start thinking I do, or they'll never let me spy on them again. I'd rather keep a low profile for as long as I can."

He turned to Lothar and Ithelus hopefully.

((OOC: If neither of them volunteers to bring the map to the captain, Pieter will do it.))
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #385

"Nah, Raff, I'll take it. And yeah, Pieter, I've seen those pamphlets. 'Swhy I want you to get me in touch with that girl."
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #386
    Titan in the Playground

"Get you in touch? I could simply try to convince Klaus to put an end to his campaign," Pieter suggested. He turned to leave. "Anything else I can do this evening? Right now I'm pretty much at a dead-end."

Because you guys are not telling me anything.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

27. - Top - End - #387

"That's a good idea, act'lly. You speak to Klaus, I want t' speak with the girl." He nods firmly.
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #388
    Titan in the Playground

"Fine, I'll try to get you in touch."

On his way to the Hammer and Tongs, Pieter zigzagged a bit in the streets, trying to find one of the new pamphlets.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-28 at 10:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #389
    Ogre in the Playground

With Illiiya
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus shakes his head, 'You- you don't have to do this to make me believe you. I believe you anyway, I keep telling you this.' He hugs her tight, 'We'll work this out together.'

After the great search

Ithelus nods as the group begins to part ways, 'Well, aren't we a cheery bunch.' he turns to Pieter, 'Can I borrow that charcoal?' he then motions for Illiiya and Lothar to move down the street a bit, out of earshot.

Illiiya and Lothar
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Lothar, you seem to be the most neutral party here. I'm going to be doing some investigating tonight but if I'm not back at the Crow tomorrow evening I want you to take this to Marius and the Witch Hunter' He hands what appears to be one of the notes from the Mandrake man to Lothar, although first he writes something on it and folds it. 'Please look after Illiiya for the night. And don't read the note until you hand it over'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-08-23 at 06:09 PM.
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #390
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Exeson View Post
    Can I borrow that charcoal?
    "Sure, take it."

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    A very unhappy-looking initiate of Ranald burst into the Hammer and Tongs and strode straight to the table where Klaus and his friends usually sat to discuss politics.

(Assuming they are there:)

"Klaus, are you out of your mind?" he snapped without preamble, not bothering to keep his voice low. "What exactly are you trying to accomplish?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-24 at 06:47 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing: