New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate suppressed a sigh at the old man's grumpiness.

"Hi, Maria." Pieter nodded at her rather stiffly, waited for the wizened butler to leave and spoke quickly, his tone grave: "I'm here on Society business. Did you see the pamphlets they nailed all over town under the name of Martin Marprälat?"

Pieter rarely used the pronoun they when referring to the Society.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-26 at 03:23 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

F**k.

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-08-26 at 03:23 PM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #423
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    With his characteristic shuffling gait, Alfons headed back to the kitchen. Sure enough, Raffy heard Pieter's voice.

"Hi, Maria." He spoke quickly, his tone grave: "I'm here on Society business. Did you see the pamphlets they nailed all over town under the name of Martin Marprälat?"

"I did," came Maria's voice. "Did you not know about them?"

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria nodded, seeming to give Pieter her full attention.

"I did," she said, evenly. "Did you not know about them?"
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy continues to listen in the dark...

(Primarily I'm just posting so it won't seem strange that you keep giving me updates, on the assumption that Pieter is a loyal non-spoiler-reader.)
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate nodded somberly.

"I knew about them, but I didn't think Klaus would go ahead with his campaign, considering the... current situation. This is just about the worst time for unrest and riots. Even if no one cares, the Hounds will get nervous and become even more oppressive. People need to be reassured, not whipped into a frenzy. Don't you agree?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-26 at 03:41 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter began to speak.

"I knew about them, but I didn't think Klaus would go ahead with his campaign, considering the... current situation. This is just about the worst time for unrest and riots. Even if no one cares, the Hounds will get nervous and become even more oppressive. People need to be reassured, not whipped into a frenzy. Don't you agree?"

There was a beat before Maria replied.

"No, I don't. I did pay for them, after all."

"What do you want to reassure the people, Pieter? That the Hounds will catch the killer? That the Witch Hunter has their best interests at heart? That they can sleep safe in their beds?"

She paused.

"Don't you think they deserve the truth?"

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "No, I don't. I did pay for them, after all." She paused.

"What do you want to reassure the people, Pieter? That the Hounds will catch the killer? That the Witch Hunter has their best interests at heart? That they can sleep safe in their beds?"

She looked directly into Pieter's eyes.

"Don't you think they deserve the truth?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-26 at 03:52 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #427
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "They do," admitted Pieter. "But their discontent won't drive the witch hunter away, and neither will it help us in our task. Our best bet remains to find the killers before the Hounds do, to discredit them and get the authorities to finally kick them out of town."

And there I thought Maria would be the voice of reason... Ah well, it was worth a try, I guess.

"Speaking of finding the killers," he added, "we've made some progress. I know it'll sound far-fetched, but we have reasons to think sorcery is at work... Sorcery that causes the rats to attack people." He scratched at the rashes on his face. "Just yesterday, Lothar, Rafale and I were almost killed by those filthy things. They're not acting normally, and they seem to gnaw their way into people's rooms. Be careful, eh? If you hear scratching sounds in your walls tonight, go sleep someplace else."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy Taffy

Spoiler
    Show

aaaand just waitin'

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Really?" Maria's face assumed a surprised look, but she didn't seem particularly alarmed. "I'll, um - I'll bear that in mind."

Motioning to one side with her hand, she returned to the matter of the pamphlets.

"You haven't seen the Lector at the Baron's court, Pieter. Have you even seen him speak to the common people?" She raised her eyebrows. "Even if Rafale and his friends catch the murderer tomorrow, he will find a way to steal the credit, and use it to whip up more fear, to tighten his grip." She shook her head. "I have been to the Countess' court in Nuln, and I visited Middenheim before the Storm, but I have never seen a more fiendishly cunning politician than that priest. The only way to topple the Hounds is to make the city too hot to hold them."

"The alternative is to let von Kemperbad set him up as the real ruler of this town. When the Hounds have supplanted the Guard, when the temples of the other gods are in the permanent shadow of that monstrous cathedral, how much do you think things will improve? Von Kemperbad is in this for himself, and no-one else."

[hr]

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "They do," admitted Pieter. "But their discontent won't drive the witch hunter away, and neither will it help us in our task. Our best bet remains to find the killers before the Hounds do, to discredit them and get the authorities to finally kick them out of town."

"Speaking of finding the killers," he added, "we've made some progress. I know it'll sound far-fetched, but we have reasons to think sorcery is at work... Sorcery that causes the rats to attack people. Just yesterday, Lothar, Rafale and I were almost killed by those filthy things. They're not acting normally, and they seem to gnaw their way into people's rooms. Be careful, eh? If you hear scratching sounds in your walls tonight, go sleep someplace else."

"Really?" Maria did her best to sound surprised. "I'll, um - I'll bear that in mind."

Moving swiftly on, she returned to the matter of the pamphlets.

"You haven't seen the Lector at the Baron's court, Pieter. Have you even seen him speak to the common people? Even if Rafale and his friends catch the murderer tomorrow, he will find a way to steal the credit, and use it to whip up more fear, to tighten his grip."

There was a pause.

"I have been to the Countess' court in Nuln, and I visited Middenheim before the Storm, but I have never seen a more fiendishly cunning politician than that priest. The only way to topple the Hounds is to make the city too hot to hold them."

"The alternative is to let von Kemperbad set him up as the real ruler of this town. When the Hounds have supplanted the Guard, when the temples of the other gods are in the permanent shadow of that monstrous cathedral, how much do you think things will improve? Von Kemperbad is in this for himself, and no-one else."

(OOC: This next section edited in from the posts that followed so as not to give the game away)

"I have nothing but contempt for Von Kemperbad," agreed Pieter, "and I'd like nothing more than to see him fall. But if there's even a remote possibility of violence, I'll have no part in this whole thing. I joined the Society to alleviate misery, not rearrange social order. This is getting too big for me."

"Careful, Maria. You know the witch hunter doesn't like you. If he learns of your involvement in this, don't let him make you a martyr. Do whatever you have to, but survive."

Maria replied quickly.

"Sometimes risks have to be taken, when our freedom is at stake. I'll look after myself, Pieter."

"There's violence that goes on every day. Halbermann and his followers are violent men, and they use violent means. There's more than one old woman who's had bones broken because of her neighbour's groundless suspicions - if we want to stop it, we can't roll over."

"It's your choice, Pieter. If you want to end the people's misery, there's no surer way than to break the Hounds. But you have to decide for yourself. I think we can trust you, either way."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-26 at 04:57 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "I have nothing but contempt for Von Kemperbad," agreed Pieter, "and I'd like nothing more than to see him fall. But if there's even a remote possibility of violence, I'll have no part in this whole thing. I joined the Society to alleviate misery, not rearrange social order. This is getting too big for me."

He turned to leave.

"Careful, Maria. You know the witch hunter doesn't like you. If he learns of your involvement in this, don't let him make you a martyr. Do whatever you have to, but survive."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Sometimes risks have to be taken, when our freedom is at stake. I'll look after myself, Pieter."

"There's violence that goes on every day. Halbermann and his followers are violent men, and they use violent means." She looked grave. "There's more than one old woman who's had bones broken because of her neighbour's groundless suspicions - if we want to stop it, we can't roll over."

She looked down. "It's your choice, Pieter. If you want to end the people's misery, there's no surer way than to break the Hounds. But you have to decide for yourself. I think we can trust you, either way."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate tried to retain his somber face, but could not keep a smile from his lips.

"Thank you, Maria, trust is something I could definitely use more of these days. Have a good night."

That is to say, don't get eaten by rats. I love you.

He turned and left.

OOC: Need a bit of time to think of what to do next.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-26 at 05:48 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #433
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy winced when Maria said she trusted Pieter, but held his silence.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Thank you, Maria," replied Pieter. "Trust is something I could definitely use more of these days. Have a good night."

With that, he turned and left, Raffy hearing his footsteps recede towards the door and then pass outside. With a slightly amused tone, Maria called out:

"I think it's safe for you to come back in, Rafale. The fearsome Pieter is gone."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #435
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar ocus Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar rubbed the back of his neck and shook his head. "Uh- I don't think so. But, uh, he's a big boy- um, elf. He'll be fine. And he can meet us there when he's done doing.... whatever it is he's doing."

He paused, furrowing his brow. "Wait. Don't you know?"
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

16. - Top - End - #436
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar & Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't too far from the Guard House to the Carter's Rest, where Lothar was staying - inside, the tavern was quiet as usual, its regular clientele not being the talkative sort. Nevertheless, being of rural stock, they couldn't help themselves but gawk silently over their drinks as Illiiya entered. The fact that they remembered Lothar for his entertaining beard-shaving, clothes-burning performance of the night before probably didn't help.

The barkeeper seemed less fazed, ready to take any opportunity to sell a drink or two. His customers seemed rather sparse today: a few clustered along the bar, and others spaced out among the rough wooden tables around the outside of the common hall, talking in low voices among themselves or just nodding off after a day on the road. One man sat alone, an almost shapeless, broad-brimmed farmer's hat pulled down over his eyes as he slowly ate away at a plate of bread and tough cheese: the rest of them were in twos or threes, seeming all to know each other to a certain extent. One or two of them nodded to Lothar - the soldier recognised them vaguely as the men who had bought him drinks the previous night.

OOC: I assume you guys will walk & talk, and therefore put this update up to enable you to have more talking as well as walking with the same number of posts. Please say if you'd rather not move on from where you are!
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffasaurus Rex

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Maria
    I think it's safe for you to come back in, Rafale. The fearsome Pieter is gone.
    Raffy opens the door and saunters out with a self-deprecating grin on his face. He makes a mock insulted glare at her and tosses himself heavily on one of the chairs. "I don't trust that guy. Not yet. But if you say he's a good man... well, I'll give him another chance." His eyes move slowly over the room and he says more distantly. "He did help map the sewers, I guess."

He gets back up and goes to hang his net on the wall. Leaning against the mantle he looks back at Maria. "Maria, I keep wanting to tell you everything will be alright. I want you to be safe and happy. But the truth is I don't know if it will be alright. We've got a good setup here, we should be fine tonight, but I don't know what tomorrow will bring."

Sinking down along the wall, he sits on the floor beside the hearth and idly plays with the latch of a warming pan. "I've been all talk since I met you. But I'd rather listen. Tell me your story, Maria. What was the college like? What was it like growing up? How..." he grins. "How did you get so brave?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Maria laughed and shrugged. “Well, there’s a question,” she said. “I don’t know. Necessity?” She grinned. “I’m not sure everyone would agree with you.”

Raising her eyebrows, she motioned with her head towards the door through which Pieter had left.

“He may be a bit... dry, but he wouldn’t sell us out to the Templars. He’s like the others – all very sincere in their beliefs.” She smiled. “I find it gets a bit much, sometimes. If there’s nothing to be done at one of their meetings, I tend to find an excuse not to go. Otherwise it’s just an hour or two of young men talking with terribly serious faces.”

She sat back in her chair, looking into the fire. “Klaus was always like that. It was odd, coming back from Nuln, and finding him... grown up. And still the same.” She blinked. “Marius, too.”

Drifting off for a moment, she looked round at Raffy.
    “We were all the Doctor’s pupils, you know. When he first came to Delberz, he made a bit of money by tutoring rich men's children. A class of about seven little boys, and me.” She laughed to herself. “The same story at the university, too. I’ve been very lucky, I think. Spoiled rotten, compared to other women of my position.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-27 at 01:14 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #439
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Doctor Raisen? Really?" Raffy blinked. "I knew I liked that guy. He taught you all about... democracy? And... rights?"

((lets her answer))

"Most other women may not have the same chances you had, but some do. Most don't do what you've done." He sighs. "We all have to make our own way in the world. Choose a destiny, fix our sights on it, fight for it, hold on no matter what happens." Another pause. "Do any of the philosophers teach that?" He glances up at her, sincerely interested in the answer.

((After the answer to this, you can just imagine Raffy will talk to Maria about her life and views for as long as sleepiness, distractions, and rat raids allow. Into the wee hours if possible - need to pass the time somehow. I don't expect you to write it all up, but if you want to do highlights that's cool. Raffy will share about how he used to be best friends with Lily before she was killed and how he didn't really like moving to the country but learned to respect the peasants. He'll try not to talk too much though, he wants to learn about Maria.

If the servants don't show up soon though he'll have to go get them. All 4 people in the room! And only sleeping in shifts. Once Hans is there he might take on a more boastful air and share a few of his stories about hunting his first bounty. He'll pretty much leave Alfons be since he doesn't really know what to make of the old man. But he'll definitely keep the conversation with Maria going if she's open to it.))

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Doctor Rasen? Really?" Raffy blinked. "I knew I liked that guy. He taught you all about... democracy? And... rights?"
    “Ha, no,” laughed Maria. “History and arithmetic, mainly. The good doctor was a bit younger then, he just took the work to put food on his plate. Some of the other boy were frightfully dull, just sent there to learn figures and letters so that they could grow up to be guilders like their fathers. But, I developed a taste for it, so when I was older I begged my father to send me to the University in Nuln. That’s where I found out about more... interesting ideas.”

She looked up at the portrait above the fireplace. The family resemblance was clear, although Lord Samtzunge had a harsher set to his face than his daughter.

“Father doted on me. I think I was all he had left of mother. Still, he did the work of two.” She smiled to herself. “The books in this old house, that he used to read to me...”

"Most other women may not have the same chances you had, but some do. Most don't do what you've done." He sighs. "We all have to make our own way in the world. Choose a destiny, fix our sights on it, fight for it, hold on no matter what happens." Another pause. "Do any of the philosophers teach that?" He glances up at her, sincerely interested in the answer.
    “Not in this country,” she said. “At least, no philosophers of which people approve,” she said, doing her best stuffy impression of the Lector on the last word. Reaching forwards, she jabbed the fire with the poker. “If you look south, though, you can find a Tilean in support of pretty much anything.”

“I used to read Dolmancé’s early works religiously. He was a Breton, but nothing like the rest of them – worse than the Church here, for the most part. Von Leiderot, here, too, although he got into trouble with the nobility. He’d agree with you, I think. He thought that liberty was the greatest good of all – that the worst sin a man could commit was to prevent another from following their own path.”

She looked sideways at Raffy with a wry smile.

“It turns out you can write about liberty all you like, provided it’s liberty for the right people. And provided it doesn’t trespass on their prejudices.” She gave the fire another prod. “After that, things get a bit iffy.”

At that point, Hans and Alfons came back into the room, carrying supper between them: it was only cold meat from the pantry, but it was richer than anything Raffy had eaten in his life. Laying it down on the low table in the centre of the room, the two servants hung back a bit, unsure of themselves – Maria motioned for them to sit down, insisting that everybody eat. Nervously seating himself on a chaise-longue, checking first to make sure no mud or straw was adhering to his breeches, Hans obeyed: Alfons was rather less disconcerted by his lady’s company, taking a seat across the room from Raffy and looking at the young man with milky, hooded eyes as he picked slowly away at his food...

OOC: To synch up with the others, I’ll have to ration your night at Maria’s out into segments. Feel free to continue to interact with the NPCs yourself, but if you don’t, don’t worry – I’ll put up ‘highlights’ according to your instructions as time progresses.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #441

Lothar takes Illiiya to the Pub

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar returned the nods of the vaguely-remembered friendly sorts, weaving his way to the bar. "Right. Ale for m'self, and the lady'll have- oh, I don't know- wine, I guess. Illiiya?" Lothar glanced at her for confirmation, before turning back to the 'keeper.

"Any of these regulars up for a game o' dice, you think?" he added, as he pulle coins from his purse.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya at the Pub

Spoiler
    Show
    Enough of this sulking. You are a sorceress, not a child.

I... I just thought that if I did what she does... THEN he would...

What is that? Enslave them with foul magic? You will not! We do not sell our soul for anything. Not the coven, not the king, and not for some worthless Asur that you insist on fawning over. Disgusting!

W-what? No. I thought... I mean, s-she is a whore... yes? Is not that how she has gotten to... to everyone?

Your ignorance would infuriate me less were it not willful. Sex is just the lure... the scent of blood in the air that attracts the predator. Human men are simple, stupid things, and easily swayed... Barely better than animals. It takes so little a tug on the winds to bring their basest desires to the fore.

I... oh. W-well then how do we... stop her?

We kill her.

I... We... tried! No one would listen! I c-could not... I mean... t-they were defending her. How could I have-

We kill them all one by one, while they are alone and vulnerable, until there is no one left to defend her.

W-what?! No! Illiiya muttered aloud, a look of horror on her face.

After spending most of the time she had been following Lothar seeming distant and somewhat vacant, the sudden, loud jump back to reality was as jarring for her as for the folk around her to witness the sudden outburst. She spent a moment or two looking around in a panic, before finally seeming to realize where she was.

L-lothar? She asked, seeming strangely uncertain of it considering she was staring directly at him. She then stepping in hurriedly and hugged herself to his chest, breathing quickly in her panic. I don't want to hurt anyone... but s-she won't go away. I c-can't make her go away.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

23. - Top - End - #443

Lothar the Chivalrous

Spoiler
    Show
    Blinking, and looking awkwardly between the frightened witch and the bartender, Lothar put an arm around Illiiya. "I think that's a 'yes' to the wine, then, aye?" He patted her awkwardly on the back. "We've all got things we wish'd go away, Illiiya. Me, I- uh. Well, I did somethin' once. Not proud of it."

The soldier picked up their drinks with his spare hand and gestured to a booth. "Tell you what. Siddown, we'll have some drinks -that always helps chase 'way ghosts- and I'll tell you my Dark and Terrible Secret." It was clear that Lothar oughtn't give up his day job as a hired killer, because his attempt at the booming voice of a Sierck narrator was awful. He nudged the elf, hoping to have cheered her up somewhat.
    Games:

=

=

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya + Lothar: AKA Illiiya's Turmoil

Spoiler
    Show
    Look at it... speaking to you as if you were equals. This one can be first...

Illiiya looked at Lothar timidly, fear and hesitance in her eyes.

A-all.... right... She told him nervously, following along with him to the table.

She did not seem to know what to do or how to do it... simple socializing not something she was used to. Or perhaps her mind was just elsewhere, but she did not take her eyes off Lothar.

I... I h-have... a secret... too. She admitted in a low murmur.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus nods, 'I'm in,' he then motions for the group to lead the way.
    Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #446

L&I (inc.)

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar raised his mug to the elf. "Ah, yes- I bet I know what it is." He lowered his voice and looked around in an obvious pretence at being surrepititous. In a loud whisper he added: "You have pointy ears."

The soldier leaned back on the bench and nodded sagely. "I know- 's a dark an' terrible secret. Don't worry- you can trust me."
    Games:

=

=

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    “Right,” said Ricard, looking Ithelus up and down. “No time to waste, then.”

Kleiner nodded, banging his stick on the floor with a grin. “Off with you! And don’t be forgettin’ the box. You get out of there with nothing else, get out of there with that. Don’t want to be upsettin’ our client.”

Making their respects to their employers, Ricard’s robbers scuttled out of the attic room, drawing Ithelus along with them. Kleiner watched them go, the deep shadows seeming to swallow him up as Ithelus descended the stairs.

Outside, Greta hurried off to keep her appointment with the stable-boy, Ricard and his two henchmen remaining behind.

“Right, mister Ithelus – this here is Gunther, and this is Walther.” The two men nodded. “We’ll be going in after you, once you’ve got the door open. First things first, though, you need to cover up. Someone says they saw an elf loiterin’ around the house, that’ll trace straight back to us. Ain’t never been many elves in Delberz, and I don’t reckon there are now.”

When Ithelus had covered his face and ears to their satisfaction, they set off into the night – a thin rain was beginning to fall, and looked set to thicken, making the tiles of the rooftops gleam slickly in the occasional patch of moonlight.

“We’ve got to give Greta time to get the lad properly blotto,” said Ricard by way of explanation, as they began to head in a direction perpendicular to that of Manor Street. Arriving at a shady yard, they pushed through the battered wooden gate – inside were a light cart and a tired-looking horse, its coat wet from being left to stand out in the drizzle. “This here is our getaway, if things go south. Guards or Hounds, they chase you on foot. Walther’ll keep Griselda here nearby, and if the whistle gets blown we can go for a ride, shake ‘em off on the Drakwald road, maybe.” He looked sideways at Ithelus. “Strictly a backup plan, mind you. Come on, help us get her harnessed up.”

When the cart was hitched to the horse, they swung out onto the streets again, Walther driving their glum but obedient beast in the direction of the house. Getting off a couple of streets up, Ricard and Gunther gestured for Ithelus to follow, the leader taking a sling bag that had been lying in the back of the cart with him – when the elf had dismounted, Walther turned the cart quietly into the side-streets, making to approach the house from another direction. It wouldn’t do for their vehicle to be seen.

It was when they reached the house itself, however, that Ithelus realised that something was awry. Greta was still waiting outside the side gate, by now looking thoroughly soaked. Turning with a look of alarm as they approached, she hurried towards them – before Ricard could speak, she hissed her report.

“The lad isn’t here,” she said. “He said he was going to be waitin’, but there’s no-one in the yard.” She looked from face to face. “I can’t exactly ring the bell-pull, can I?”

Ricard cursed under his breath. Turning to Ithelus, he gave the elf an appraising look.

“Alright, cat-burglar... change of plan. Looks like we’re going to have to get you over that wall.” He gestured to the stone wall of the stableyard, nine feet high with its short iron spikes along the top. “Think you can do it?”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-29 at 06:54 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    With little else to do and some time on his hands, Pieter decided to take a look at the Flütchling Fields before going to bed. The refugees being the reason for his presence in Delberz, he should not neglect his duties toward them, no matter the other things on his mind.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-08-29 at 07:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus lets out a stream of curses in Eltharian. He nods, 'I have two choices, I can try to scale it with a rope or you can bring the cart over here, quiet like, and I can climb up on top of it.' he shrugs, 'whichever you prefer, this is your job.'
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "We don't want to bring the cart too close. People might hear," said Ricard. "The rope it is."

OOC: Scale Sheer Surface would be the relevant skill here, with a +20 for the rope.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    It was a long way to the Fields, the thickening mist of descending rain soaking through Pieter’s clothes and plastering his hair flat against his head. The black silhouette of the Cathedral glowered down at him as he passed through the darkened Tempelplatz: it couldn’t be long until it was finished, its shrouds of scaffolding now clustered around the highest reaches of the belltower.

Down Gods’ Row, over the river, the rain stippling the sluggish skin of the Delb with a myriad of tiny ripples that gleamed brightly through the dark. Swinging left, the Drakwald road yawned ahead of him, the low, hazy light of the city behind him glowing in soft contrast to the shadows of the surrounding country. Glimmering through the rain, hundreds of tiny points of light pierced that deeper darkness, the camp-fires of the Fields feebly attempting to stave off the night’s chill.

Sleeping was for people who had beds, or more importantly, locked doors. It didn’t stop people dropping from pure fatigue, but as a whole, the Fields never slept – there was always one family member keeping watch over the others, groups of refugees waiting out the night around the warmest fires. You wouldn’t know it to look at the great expanse of mud and canvas, but Pieter knew from experience that the Fields were divided up into clusters of those who had known each other from before the Storm – survivors from the same sacked town gravitated to each other, forming communities around the town or village that they used to share. Grimminhagen, Schoppendorf, Wolfenburg – proud equals of Delberz once, now sheltering under the wings of the river city as their old homes crumbled into rubble.

OOC: Obviously there are a very large number of people in the Fields: since Pieter is supposed to have been hanging around here for some time prior to the game, if you want to invent some NPCs that Pieter knows, I’ll be more than happy to play them.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-08-30 at 06:08 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb