New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter had no idea how he could use this information, but it sure was interesting. Could that bastard son threaten Halbermann's career? Von Kemperbad would probably not care, being a politician and therefore just as corrupt. Jagrun, though, was no doubt a man who did not tolerate hypocrites.

"That's right, Sigmar's just an excuse to them," he drawled. "They wouldn't have the balls to bully people and take what they want if they didn't have the Church's power behind them. The witch hunter, what's-his-name, must hate working with this bunch." He frowned. "I wonder where he's gone, that one. They say he's nowhere to be found. Can't be good."

Fellowship test (41) to be accepted into their conversation.

(d100)[24]
    Fortune Point: (d100)[8]
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-08 at 11:19 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The boy waves to Hands and the Watchman (or yell to them if needed, but sounds like they haven't gone far) to join him on this street. Then he takes off down it ready for battle.
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-08 at 11:22 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Racing down the street, Raffy nearly slipped on the wet cobbles as he skidded around the bend, Hans and the watchman trailing behind as they ran to catch up. Turning the corner, Raffy saw a gaggle of dark shapes through the drifting veil of rain up ahead, vanishing into an even narrower alleyway that led off to the left. The last of them hesitated for a moment - Ithelus’ distinctive hat giving him away once again.

OOC: Check the OOC thread.

[hr]

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus realised the shouting was growing nearer behind him – looking right over his shoulder, he saw a dark figure skid around the last corner, recognising Raffy’s outline by the cut of his clothes through the darkness and the drifting rain. The youth was hot on their trail.

OOC: Check the OOC thread.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The men looked up from their circle in surprise at Pieter’s interjection.

“I heard he and the Lector were old chums,” said one of the, seeming dubious of Pieter’s suggestion. “Hunted out heretics in the South together, sort o’ thing.”
    “Wouldn’t say a bad word against the Lector,” said another, mumbling rather weakly. “Wouldn’t want to do that.”
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter slouched into one of the empty chairs around the men's table.

"The Lector used to hunt down heretics?" he said with a frown. "That's surprising. I thought he was nothing but a politician, like Esmer."

The initiate gestured to one of the serving girls. "A mug of light ale, please," he said with the lazy smile that made young women melt. Then, turning to the others: "First drink's on me, if anyone wants something." He shuffled his deck of cards. "Name's Kurt, by the way. You up for a game of Five Knives? Low stakes, of course."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "The Lector used to hunt down heretics?" he said with a frown. "That's surprising. I thought he was nothing but a politician, like Esmer."
    One of the men around the table nodded.

"Nah, fire an' brimstone, he is. Made 'is name hunting out changelings in the forest villages near here, or so I heard. That was how the Altdorf bigwigs heard about him, how he fell in with them." He twitched his head towards the door. "'s why the Church sent him here, after the old temple went up in flames. 's why the Baron let him form the Hounds. A man of action."

Another snorted. "Some joke that turned out to be." The others looked circumspectly at their friend, perhaps not wanting to be too openly associated with his acerbic comments.

"First drink's on me, if anyone wants something." He shuffled his deck of cards. "Name's Kurt, by the way. You up for a game of Five Knives? Low stakes, of course."
    "If you're buyin', I'll have what you're havin'," said one of them. The others chorused their agreement, suddenly far more enthused about their new acquaintance.

The suggestion of cards seemed to go down well, all five of the men seated around the table joining Pieter's proposed game.

OOC: Ale is two pennies a stein. If you want to start a gambling game, it's up to you to choose the stakes.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya and Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya gave Lothar a long look, perhaps trying to discern the sincerity of his words... perhaps just musing on whatever randomness was in her troubled head. It took quite a moment for her to speak again.

Even if th-those are hollow words... Thank you. She finally spoke, letting out a soft sigh, I... I feel better... talking about it. I did not think I would. I t-thought if I spoke earnestly... you would all hate me. Or be afraid of m-me. I don't have... much. I d-do not want to lose my only... friends.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Okay, let's start with a shilling. Hey, you heard about those pamphlets against the Church? That's someone who sure doesn't fear the Hounds."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I really don't know if a shilling is reasonable. To me it's not much, but according to the rulebook it's a hefty sum to many people. If it's too high, I'll lower it.

Here's my Gamble roll: (d100)[91]

(Target 57: Int 47 + Super Numerate)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

8. - Top - End - #548
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    “I did hear somethin’ like that,” said one of the men, his eyes on his cards as Pieter dealt them out. “Been a lot o’ pretty bits of paper nailed up ‘round town, lately. Can’t tell one from t’other, to be honest with you.”

“I heard someone read one out,” said the slightest of the bunch – the one whose comments about the Sigmarites had most often swung towards being barbed. “They’re speakin’ the truth, is what they are. All this murderin’, people are forgetting – the Lector an’ his Hounds, they hunted for months for them what brought down the old temple, found nothing. Some outsiders breeze in and dig the whole mess up in a week. Maybe Halbermann an’ his men were all sittin’ on their hands, but the priest?”

He shook his head, looking down at his hand.

“There’s somethin’ fishier than Manaan’s feet about that man. I saw him down Tempelplatz the other day. I tell you, his eyes gave me the shivers.”

“Wouldn’t want to say anything bad about the Lector,” mumbled the man who had said so before. “Wouldn’t want to say nothing bad at all.”

Fishing out a shilling apiece – one or two of them seeming circumspect about Pieter’s definition of low stakes – the game began. The luck went the little mumbler’s way, and Pieter was surprised to find himself deprived of a shilling as the victor claimed his spoils.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Not sure I like those agitators," commented Pieter. "They're far from wrong, but now I bet the Hounds will tighten their grasp just to be on the safe side. You know how it is with people who claim to protect us..."

His brow creasing with concentration, he put his Knight of Roses on the table, trying to remember how many Skulls had been played.

"What's this about old Halby's bastard?" he asked curiously. "Been stirring up trouble, you say? What kind of trouble?"

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gambling roll 57: (d100)[31]

I assume last hand's winner decides the stakes for this one.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-08 at 06:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus curses and runs after the gang, hoping that Raffy doesn't shoot at him again.

(1d10+10)[17]
    Sigatar by Me

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Sprinting away after Ricard and the others, Ithelus put on a burst of speed that left the pursuing Sparrowhawk in the dust - feet pounding on the slick cobbles, he heard the boy round the corner of the alleyway behind him, the voices of others close behind. Thankfully, there was no thunderclap from the blunderbuss - Raffy had given chase so quickly, he surely could not have had time to reload...

Rolls:

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy (1d10+7)[12]

Which means that by a conspiracy of the dice, both groups are now all at the same separation. Ithelus & company's lead increases to 20 units.

Since Poet’s away, I don’t foresee there being much in the way of tactics on the pursuing side: as such, I’m going to roll a bunch of rounds in advance. That’s not to discourage you from coming up with any clever ideas – it’s just that what with changing accommodation over the next few days, there’s a good chance I won’t be able to keep up with a back-and-forth well enough to resolve this before you leave.

Round 2
    Raffy (1d10+7)[16]
    Other Pursuers (1d10+7)[8]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[13]

Round 3
    Raffy (1d10+7)[13]
    Other Pursuers (1d10+7)[14]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[17]

Round 4
    Raffy (1d10+7)[12]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[11]

Round 5
    Raffy (1d10+7)[10]
    Other Pursuers (1d10+7)[16]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[14]

Round 6
    Raffy (1d10+7)[17]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[10]

Round 7
    Raffy (1d10+7)[9]
    Other Pursuers (1d10+7)[8]
    Ricard & co. (1d10+7)[15]

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    ”There was a dis-turbance up on the Fields,” said one of the men, paying more attention to his cards than the conversation. “Bunch o’ refugee kids chucking stuff at the Hounds. When they caught up with ‘em, they said a man had paid ‘em to do it – looked like the Sergeant, only younger.” He glanced up at Pieter. “Halbermann’s bastard boy. At least, that’s what people are sayin’.”

“Wouldn’t want to say a bad word against the Sergeant,” muttered the mumbler. “Wouldn’t want to do that.”

“Ah, shut it, Gulli,” said another, good-naturedly. “No-one’s listenin’.” The others nodded.

“Half-shilling stake,” said the last round’s winner, pushing his own coin into the centre of the table. “Some of ain’t so flush, mister Kurt.”

Rolls:
    Spoiler
    Show
    On a warm summer’s evening,
    On a train bound for nowhere,
    I met up with a gambler...

(1d100)[17], (1d100)[61], (1d100)[54], (1d100)[43], (1d100)[75]

This time, Pieter's native skill with the cards won out - two and a half shillings came his way, last round's winner taking his loss with good grace while some of the others began to look a little uncertain about their continued participation.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-09 at 01:56 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #552
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter smiled with amusement. So, not only did the sergeant have a bastard, but this bastard had no love for his father and could even be a potential ally. That was interesting. He made a mental note to investigate further.

If I knew who my father was, I'd gladly pay children to throw things at him, he mused.

Feeling the other men's reluctance to bet too much, he set the stakes at two pennies. He would not go to bed a rich man, but had he wanted to play for crowns he would not have come to the Graf's Arms.

Gamble 57: (d100)[47]

"I wonder why no one's heard of that bastard before. Is Halbermann from out of town?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The men looked around their little circle, each of them shrugging.

"Dunno," said the mumbler. "Never 'eard of him before the Hounds came along. But I s'pose you could say the same about plenty of people in this town."
    "I heard he were a soldier. One o' the regiments what got gobbled up in the Storm. Survived some battle or other and found work here when the war was over."

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d100)[23], (1d100)[37], (1d100)[64], (1d100)[47], (1d100)[34]

Once again, Pieter outplayed his companions, gathering tenpence for his trouble.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-09 at 04:58 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing the gap widen and not being blown to pieces Ithelus smiled, he might just get away with it.

(1d10+10)[13]
    Sigatar by Me

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Dogging the nimble elf's footsteps as best he could, Raffy refused to give up - the men behind him were not so determined, falling further behind the fleeing thieves. Ricard and his companions seemed surprisingly fleet-footed, keeping pace with the elf as they fled through the winding back-streets.

OOC:

Spoiler
    Show
    Using the previous rolls, Raffy gains by 3, whereas his allies fall behind by 5.

Other Pursuers - 8 - Raffy - 17 - Ithelus, Ricard & co.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #556
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus snarls, determined bastard, he had to give Raffy that. He steps harder, hoping Raffy would trip up or at least slow.

OOC: (1d10+10)[12]
    Sigatar by Me

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy stayed hot on his heels, the others behind the Sparrowhawk racing to keep pace - turning a sharp corner between two overhanging houses, Ithelus saw Ricard and the others sprint ahead with a last, desperate burst of energy as the getaway cart came into view. The driver looked round at them in alarm, shaking the tired old horse into wakefulness as he made ready to drive away...

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Other Pursuers - 7 - Raffy - 16 - Ithelus - 5 - Ricard & co. - 3 - Cart
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-10 at 05:03 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #558
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus kept running, his legs beginning to burn now. I do this way too often for a theif he thinks as he makes for the cart, hoping it can get moving before Raffy catches up.

(1d10+10)[13]
    Sigatar by Me

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Edging away from Raffy with a last burst of speed, Ithelus caught up with the others, Ricard and Greta helping pull him up onto the back of the vehicle as the driver cracked the reins, sending the horse trundling forwards into a trot and then a canter with repeated shouts. Behind them, Raffy slowed and stumbled to a halt as the cart drew away, glaring daggers at Ithelus - behind him, the two other men drew to a panting stop, one in the livery of a servant, the other carrying a watchman's lantern.

"Hit the Middenheim road," hissed Ricard to the driver, as the horse picked up speed. "We'll get out of town, ditch the cart, and creep back in by another way."

As their vehicle headed north-east, the houses beginning to roll by to either side, the leader of the little gang looked round at Ithelus.

"What in Ranald's name happened?" he snarled. "You were supposed to be sneaky!"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'And Kliener assured us that the Lady would not be entertaining tonight.' he snarls back. 'Let alone one with a loaded blunderbuss'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-09-10 at 05:21 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Ricard looked surprised.

"That who was chasin' you?" He shook his head. "Shallya's tits, she weren't meant to be entertainin'. We checked. There's a regular crowd what attends, they're all 'busy'." He looked over Ithelus' shoulder, just to check that they had lost their pursuers.

"You get the goods, at least?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #562
    Bugbear in the Playground

Illiiya and Lothar are Talking While Everyone Else is Doing Something Exciting, I am Sure of It

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya spoke after a long silence, letting out a soft sigh, I... I feel better... talking about it. I did not think I would. I t-thought if I spoke earnestly... you would all hate me. Or be afraid of m-me. I don't have... much. I d-do not want to lose my only... friends.

Lothar shifted uncomfortably in his chair, pulling at the stiff, too-warm collar of his new coat. "I'nt speakin' for everyone. That Pieter, he seems a bit- snivelly to me, a bit wormy. He might not be as kind or fun-loving as me or Raffy. An' I'm not goin' to pretend that what you said- that wasn't scary-like." He shook his head, pushing the near-empty mug aside.

""Cause it's a right frightenin' idea, that you might go- I dunno. Might go 'somewhere else', and some weirdo takes your place, kills you dead without touchin' yer skin. But. I believe you. An' we're yer friends, and it's a big ol' world out there, and so I'm willin' to trust you."

He reached part way across the table as if to take Illiiya's hand, and paused uncomfortably. He cleared his throat instead and looked away, signalling a barmaid. "Ah, how about we talk about something else, then? Or drink some more. Or I could show you dice. Let's do that. Dice're good fun. Specially with, um. Friends."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-10 at 05:48 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

23. - Top - End - #563
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus Is Talking As Well But Out of Breath And With An Elevated Pulse.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus's face cracked into a grin. 'Well,' he produces the box of letters, 'managed to get this before I had to bail out her bedroom window. It has letters in it but I didn't have time to check it properly.'
    Sigatar by Me

24. - Top - End - #564
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Ricard took the box, cracking open the lid.

"Huh," he said. "Well, we got to hope this is what Kleiner's man wants, or this whole thing'll be worse than a write-off."

He looked sideways at Ithelus.

"You didn't snag nothing else?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus's sly grin widens as he produces the second box. 'If I'm guessing correctly this is the Lady's jewelery box.' he pulls his set of picks from his pocket and begins working at the lock. 'Let's see if I'm right'

(1d100)[24]
    Sigatar by Me

26. - Top - End - #566
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Under the elf's expert fingers, the lock sprung open: inside the box, things glittered. Expensive things - probably worth more than your average citizen of Delberz would make in a lifetime.

Ricard grinned.

"Looks like you are," he said. "Made something of a bad job after all, then. Kleiner can get this fenced for us, make us a pretty penny." A slight frown crossed his face. "After the old man's share, of course."

The cart rattled across a bridge, a shambling old beggar scrambling out of the way as the speeding vehicle loomed out of the darkness. Making the east bank, they swung north, heading for the road through the Fields and out of town.

"We hide this in the woods, walk round for a way and sneak back into town, yeah?" said Ricard, sitting down a little more comfortably. "Ith, why don't you give me that box. For safe keeping."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus frowns, 'I'm sure it is safe enough in my hands, trust me, you'll get a share.' He closes the box again and replaces it in his pocket. 'If you let me off here I can make it back into town before all the guards are alerted. You guys will find it easier to sneak back in than I will. That man got a good look at me unfortunately.'

He gets up and moves to get off the cart. 'I'll meet you at the pawnshop.'
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #568
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "Hey, wait just a minute now," said Ricard, moving to block Ithelus' escape. "You think you're slippin' off on your own with the prize, you've got another thing comin'. This was my plan, and we're doin' it my way."

As they trundled out towards the Fields and the surrounding country, he nodded back in the direction of the town.

"We'll go back in by way of the riverbank. No-one'll see us, I promise you. Ain't enough guards to keep watch over the whole town, and it'll take them at least an hour to spread the word. You stick with us, mister."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-10 at 07:23 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #569
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'It was just a suggestion,' he says slowly as he sits down again. 'We'll do it your way then,' He reaches into his pocket and pulls out the letter box, opening it he begins to read the letters.
    Sigatar by Me

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Brushing the crumbling flower aside, Ithelus unfolded the first letter. The sweet smell of the decaying petals had seeped into the paper, giving it a strong musk.

My Dearest Maria, the letter began.

I wake filled with thoughts of you. Sweet, incomparable Maria, what a strange effect you have on my heart! Are you angry? Do I see you looking sad? Are you worried? I cannot keep my mind from wandering to such things – to whom you may have met in Nuln, to what you might be doing there, or what strange things you might be studying. Life has been nothing but dullness since you left Delberz…

It was a love letter. No doubt. Scanning quickly down the page, Ithelus’ eyes fixed on the signature – and the seal. Marius von Brucker. The Captain had sealed it with his family sign, the same black wolf upon a hill that now adorned the notices warning the citizenry to hunt out their rats. How long ago had he written this?
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-10 at 07:37 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb