New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 29 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #841
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    "Din't know you were workin' for His Nibs now as well," said Halbermann, almost amiably. "Ain't seen anyone like that."

He grinned. "If you're lookin' for the lady, though, she done a runner." He tapped the side of his nose. "Knew we were onto her, no doubt about it. Left her stuff behind an' all." He gestured to the manor. "We're searchin' the place now. Templar's orders."

"Um, sarge," said one of the Hounds with Lothar, stepping up - leaning forwards, he murmured something in the Sergeant's ear. Halbermann's expression changed almost instantly.

"He's what?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-21 at 09:00 AM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #842
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar snarled. "You idiot! Yer a slimy, worm-riddled excuse for a soldier, Halbermann." He shook his head. "A Templar trusts ya to search the house of a suspected witch and you let her sodding leave." The mercenary broke off into a string of curses in Reikspeil and mangled Kislevite, running one hand through his auburn hair.

"Right. That kid I mentioned is wanted for attackin' Herr Jagrun. There are places he might've gone, seein' as his lady-friend is all away- thanks to you." He turned and pointed at the Hounds which came with him. "Jurgen, Wolfgang- try the 'Tongs. Don't go all Houndy, bargin' all over the place. Just go there, see if anyone's seen 'im."

"Me, I'll try a place he mentioned just before the fight." He glared at Halbermann. "Know a Herr Kleiner?"

In the back of the soldier's mind, he knew this was hopeless- the Society would dive underground, and would never let him catch a peek while he was saddled with the Hounds. The hard-won contacts of the group were worthless while travelling with Hounds. Ranald, you bastard. Stop workin' against me.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-21 at 09:12 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

3. - Top - End - #843
    Titan in the Playground

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    “Hey, she were gone when we got here,” said Halbermann, reflexively. He glanced between Lothar and the Hound who had spoke to him. “You’re tellin’ me some kid killed the Hunter? That ain’t possible.”

He held out a hand. “Jurgen, you stay where you are. You too, Wolfgang. Who’d you think’s giving the orders round here, eh?” He looked Lothar in the eye. “Say, fancy hat, blunderbuss... ain’t that your friend what we met on the road? I remember him. Right nutter.”

“Ain’t never heard of no Kleiner,” he said, flatly. “You ain’t, neither, if you know what’s good for you.” He glanced over his shoulder. “Now as it ‘appens, what we have got is some rock-solid proof, what we just found tryin’ to leave this here house in a horse and carriage. But I s’pose you wouldn’t be interested in that, what with all your big ideas, eh, mister?”

He squinted at Lothar.

“How’d the Lector end up givin’ you these orders anyway, eh?”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #844
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The drinking den looked seedy even by Pieter's standards, and that was saying something. The initiate wondered how a middle-class intellectual such as Karl could get to know such a place.

"All I have to say," sighed Pieter, sitting down wearily, "is that this makes things a lot more complicated. Two of my friends have been arrested, and the other two will soon have bounties on their heads. The Elven girl, Illiiya... she used magic against the Templar, yes, but she's not a bad person. I want to save her. I've managed to stay beneath the Hounds' attention, and that gives me an advantage my friends don't have."

He closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead.
    "I didn't want to go to war against the Sigmarites, but Rafale just took away all other options. My opinion of what he did doesn't matter. Here's what does: now I'm in, and it's personal."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-21 at 09:27 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #845

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Lothar gestured, barely suppressed anger making the soldier vibrate. "He sent me to find the boy, bring him in. It was a trial by ordeal, but that's not the sodding point- the kid's been drinking seawater, gotten his head twisted about." He scowled, ran his fingers over one cheek and through his hair.

"I know places he mighta run- he'd be lookin' for Samztunge, had a thing for her. I've your lot as ballast, and it doesn't take this many men to drag a carriage o' books to the Tempelplatz for squity scribes to look at 'em- so help me out."

"Or should I tell his 'Nibs' that on top o' disrespect, you aren't actually interested in finding. a. killer." Lothar's voice had gotten low, his glare intensified as he drew himself to his full height.
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-09-21 at 09:25 AM.
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

6. - Top - End - #846
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    “Glad to have you with us,” said Karl, firmly. “Thought we’d lost you for a while there.”

Klaus struck the table with his fist.
    “This is our moment,” he said, half-rising to his feet – Karl motioned to him to sit back down, not wanting to draw too much attention. “Jagrun was the symbol of the fear the Church inspire, and that boy cut him down. In front of the whole city, as much as it matters – by noon today, every man in Delberz will have heard.” He looked around the table, his eyes burning with revolutionary fervour. “We won’t get this chance again. If we want to save our friends, if we want to see von Kemperbad brought down, we need to act now.”
    “How?” said one of the others. “What have we got? They’ve taken Maria, she was the one who paid for everything...”
    “The printers will let us use their presses for free. We’ve got Magda, and we’ve got Ilsa’s story. And we’ve got the people.” Klaus struggled to keep his voice down, pointing to the window. “I heard the talk this morning, when they found the new killings. The people are frightened, and the people are angry. They know as well as we do that the Hounds have failed them long enough. It’s time we broke the whole rotten heap of them wide open.”

[hr]

Lothar

Spoiler
    Show
    Halbermann hesitated, seeming to size Lothar up. Cracking a grin, he nodded.

“Man’s got a point,” he said. “Right. Jurgen. You go round up Meyer’s lads. Seven or eight of ‘em. This man thinks he knows where the kid’s gone to ground, you do what he says.” He looked across at Lothar. “Keep an eye on him too, mind. An’ you stick together.”

He turned back to the soldier.

“You said you were lookin’ for a certain fellow. You might try the old pawn-shop down Neumarket way.” He paused, a certain mysterious air to his words. “Not that I would know where to find such men as you were talkin’ about, you understand. Stricly a shot in the dark.”

He shook his head.

"A shame about the Hunter. I was wonderin' if he'd let me claim his reward." He shrugged. "Prob'ly not," he grinned. "Guess this is my job, after all."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

7. - Top - End - #847

Lothar and the Dogs

Spoiler
    Show
    "Aye. Right. Well, I don't want seven o' ya with me- three oughta do it. The rest of 'em oughta keep an eye on the 'Tongs. Watch out for the kid there; he might go lookin' for some of the Lady's friends." Still scowling, the soldier stroked at his not-beard.

"I guess you oughts make sure he doesn't come back here, Halbermann."

With that, the soldier turned away, taking his gun out and beginning to peel away the oiled wrappings he kept it in. "We're off to pawn some things, lads..."
    Games:

=

=

8. - Top - End - #848
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate's face was grave.
    "Klaus. Have you heard of the Fog Riots 1 in Altdorf, a few years back? I was there. I wasn't in them, but I saw them with my own eyes." He was looking at Klaus, but it was obvious by his tone that he was addressing everyone. "I know from personal experience that a revolution is an ugly thing. There's no glory in it, no heroism, only violence. Think carefully. Make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into."

1 Shades of Empire, p. 42-43
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #849
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "You'd rather leave your friend to whatever the Hounds have in store for her?" said Klaus, quickly. "You'd rather abandon Maria to the Lector's mercy?"

"The Hounds aren't state troops. They're a mob, same as any other, and if we don't bring them down now, we never will. I say we find Ilsa, then publish and be damned." He looked around their circle for confirmation - there were many nodding faces. "Magda's already been composing the third handbill. Once the story's out there, we can get out on the streets. We can bring this tyranny down."

There was a strong murmur of agreement. Klaus looked across at Karl.

"I think we put this to the vote. We need a full meeting of the Society. Tonight."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #850
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm for the revolution," declared Pieter firmly. "I just want to make sure no one had any delusions about it. Innocents will die, good people will commit atrocities, and if we fail we'll all be executed. If you don't have the stomach for it, then stay out of it. We need fighters, not thinkers."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

11. - Top - End - #851
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Agreed," said Karl. "This begins today."

Klaus looked around at the assembled company.

"The Tongs, then, tonight, for the vote. Tell everyone. One of us needs to persuade Ilsa - I can go speak to Magda now." He smiled to himself. "I think the next pamphlet will need altering a little."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #852
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "I'll go to the Fields and try to learn more about the Sergeant's bastard," Pieter decided. "I'll also spread the tale of Rafale's defiance: we need the refugees' support if we want to succeed. And if any of us learns of what's happening to Maria, let us know at the meeting tonight."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

13. - Top - End - #853
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy and Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show

'Greetings to you too. Now we both know I don't really want to kill you because we both know you really want to help save Illiiya. Funny thing, that is just what I was chatting to Mister Kliener about. See he seems to think you are a threat to his health, and if his health is in danger it is not likely he will be willing to help us with our little problem.'

'Now what do you say we all give our word not to kill each other and the weapons can be exchanged for chairs. I assume there is a reason why you came here other than fuel your righteous bloodlust?
    Raffy nods the barest nod he can manage, since he doesn't want to slice himself on the sickle.

((Assuming Ith lets him go))

He lowers his pistols. "Well I'm glad to know we're all friends here. My reason for coming is--"

He pauses and looks at Ithelus, interrupting himself. "Illiiya is alright. She gave herself up so we could get away. Captain Marius is a good man and he'll treat her right, but yeah, we need to break her out before they sentence her."

He looks back at Kleiner. "But that's not why I came. This has to be quick. I have three things to tell you.

"First, Marius knows you were Jagrun's broker. Jagrun lied about how he got the box but I cleared his conscience. You'll have guards here asking you questions soon and I thought you might want a tip off. Since we're friends. Just tell the truth, if you know what that means. For all I know you would never, ever tell your employees to break into someone's house, but the Witch Hunter ordered it. Probably threatened your life if you wouldn't do it? Your store sure looks like you were threatened. It's all busted up down there." He gives his forced smile at the crime boss.

"Second, your strongbox. That thing's gonna get you killed when Marius finds it where I left it. Which he will, soon enough, unless I move it. Yeah, there wasn't much in the way of shillings, so I was so disappointed I put some documents into it that a concerned citizen made for me. They look an awful lot like proof that you sold poisons to Samtzunge. I know you've kept Marius off your back a long time, but he's forced to act these days. Those come to light.... well, I'd hate for those to come to light. Because we're such good friends."

He looks back at Ithelus. "See, Kleiner and me have this deal that if Maria dies, Kleiner dies too. He's a good sport."

And glancing back at Kleiner. "Last, I'm going to need a few things. Clothing that'll cover my face and all that. A lead on some gunpowder and shot. And be quick - those guards'll be here any minute. It's not going to help your case to have the Sparrowhawk hanging about your attic."

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-21 at 10:50 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

14. - Top - End - #854
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner simply stared back at Raffy.

“You know, mister Sparrowhawk, I’m an old man, and I’ve heard a lot of bull**** in my time – but you really keep it comin’, don’t you?”

He shook his head. “You killed the Hunter, and you came here on your own, all cut up, plannin’ to break some prisoner out of the city’s own cells, and you’re tellin’ me that the Captain will listen to a word you say or said?” He sniggered. “There ain’t no faker or forger in this city who I don’t know, and even if there were, you’re tellin’ me you had ‘em knock out these incriminatin’ documents in what... an hour? In between your visit ‘ere and your going off to fight duels, o’course.” He blinked. “Why, I’m almost tremblin’ in my boots.”

“You want help, you came to the wrong place. I’m a reasonable man, an’ I deal with reasonable people, in reasonable ways. Now you ain’t the first and you don’t seem to understan’ the second, so I think our business is done.” He nodded to Ithelus. “Mister Ith, there, though, I think he might have some business of his own with you, from the sound of things.”

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Klaus nodded. “Absolutely.” He rose from his seat. “It’s decided then. We act today. We meet tonight. All of us.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

15. - Top - End - #855
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus keeps his sickle by the man's neck, but does relax the pressure slightly. 'But Raffy, my good friend, we have the Sparrowhawk captured at knife point. You barged in here yelling something about revenge and being in league with the Witch Hunter. We could hand you over and no one would bat an eyelid.'

With a slight nod, 'Of course, because we are such good friends here I'm sure we can let you go, maybe even give you some clothes. Thing is Mister Kliener is a generous man but he does still run a business. What do you say that you owe us a favour? Don't worry, I assure you it will be for a good cause.' He looks over to the Crime boss, 'That agreeable sir?'

If Raffy and Kliener agree Ithelus will lower his sickle and step away from Raffy. 'Did Lothar manage to get away?'
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-09-21 at 11:09 AM.
    Sigatar by Me

16. - Top - End - #856
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    'That agreeable sir?'
    "I'm lis'nin'," said Kleiner, warily.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #857
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

"Mister Kleiner, Sir, Captain Von Brucker doesn't need to trust me at all. My name isn't on the documents. They were started last night.... shortly after the break in. I just didn't have a convenient container until this morning."

At Ithelus' question he shrugs. "I won't say a word further until I have my new clothes and a lead on some gunpowder. Oh, and some information on the Lector. If you want to take your chances with how willing Von Brucker is to trust a mediocre forge job, then go on and kill me, and enjoy the noose if my lead doesn't get you. Von Brucker's been wanting to hang you up a long time."

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-21 at 11:16 AM.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

18. - Top - End - #858
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Smiling with grim satisfaction, Pieter rose and left the drinking den. Outside, he donated his overly large and conspicuous quarter staff to a crippled beggar, then strolled through the Neumarket in search of makeup to conceal the ugly rashes on his face: he was getting tired of sideways glances.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do I need to roll a Gossip test?

Gossip 41: (d100)[54]

Also, do I need to see someone else (say, a barber-surgeon) to apply the makeup to my face?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #859
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    ”I don’t have to take a chance on anythin’. Your name ain’t on those ‘documents’ because they don’t exist, and you’re wastin’ your breath pretendin’ otherwise.”

“You want clothes an’ powder, you know where you can buy ‘em. You want somethin’ from me, you do somethin’ for me. Mister Ith here understands how that works. Seems you don’t. You don’t come in here makin’ demands, Mister Sparrowhawk. You come here makin’ requests.” He sniffed. “Right now the only request I’m hearin’ from you is for my boys to kill you, and frankly that’s soundin’ awful temptin’.”

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Charge yourself a shilling for makeup, and no, you don't need to visit anyone to apply it - you can apply it yourself, if you can find something to see your reflection in.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

20. - Top - End - #860
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Raffy, please. We all know you haven't made the forgeries. Either accept the deal or leave and find help elsewhere. But if you get arrested I tell you now I won't bother to break you out.'
    Sigatar by Me

21. - Top - End - #861
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Pieter hid in a side alley to apply his makeup to the best of his ability, using his reflection in the blade of his never-used shortsword.

How typical of me, he thought with a smile. I've had this sword for years, and now I finally get to use it... as a mirror.

He sheathed his blade and began the long walk towards the Flüchtling Fields.

OOC: Does the makeup reduce my Fellowship penalty?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-21 at 12:02 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #862
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy hesitates, considering his options. After a moment:

"What do you want me to do?"

23. - Top - End - #863
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus & Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    "Me, I'd like you to leave me in peace. But I think Mister Ith here has some bright idea or other."

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Yes it does.

Will need a short break before I give you Pieter's next update - need to do some planning plus keep in sync with the others.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #864
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Spoiler
    Show
    Illiiya did not fight or protest... staying quiet along the whole trip. Her demeanor was still the same gentle calm she had while speaking to the Lector. If she was afraid, it did not show. Of course, to some this could look just as bad as a panicking soul struggling to flee justice.

I am Illiiya. She answered the man, turning her eyes to him, I will give you no trouble. If I wished to resist, I would have done so already.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

25. - Top - End - #865
    Titan in the Playground

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    "Right," said the fat man, swallowing. "Well, um - well, aye, I'll set a watch," he said. "You din't hear... when they'd be comin' for her, did you?"

"Not a clue, Gustav," said the leader. "You just make sure she stays here, eh?"

Two of the Hounds bundled her forwards.

"Right," said Gustav. "This way, lads."

OOC: There'll be a short break here - as much for me to try and get a space to breathe and adjust my plans as to wait for the others! Hope that's OK.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #866
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fine by me. Take all the time you need.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-09-21 at 01:14 PM.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

27. - Top - End - #867
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus pauses for a moment. 'Well we have to make a plan before we start talkign specifics. Just agree not to try and kill myself and Mister Kliener anymore and I'll call on you soon?' He smiles slightly.
    Sigatar by Me

28. - Top - End - #868
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk & The Sparrowhawk Gang

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy grimaces as Ithelus' seemingly friendlier tone sinks in. He seems to consider his next words more carefully, though they don't come out particularly diplomatic.

"I'll not forget it was you two scum who got Maria indicted in the first place," he says. And thus, Illiiya in the gaol. "But there are bigger villains to consider than thieves right now."

He swallows. "I'm willing to help spring Illiiya. Bear in mind though, it's questionable if she's even broken the law. If she breaks free - then they have something she's guilty of. She'll be in the same place I'm in. Do you think that's what's best for her?"

His tone at the end is without judgement (for once); it's a sincere question.

((after answer))

Raffy sighs. "Well I'm in, if we do break her out. But... you'll be calling on me at the gallows if I don't get a hooded cloak and some shot."

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-21 at 02:19 PM.

29. - Top - End - #869
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Raffy sighs. "Well I'm in, if we do break her out. But... you'll be calling on me at the gallows if I don't get a hooded cloak and some shot."
    "Think you'd best go lookin' for them things, then, Mister Sparrowhawk," said Kleiner, coldly. "Ain't goin' to find 'em here."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #870
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus and Raffy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    'I hold very little faith in her just being set free. I suppose we will find out soon enough the answer. At the moment my plan stands.' Ithelus nods and pulls out the bandana he used to conceal his face during the robbery. 'This is the best you'll get I reckon. Now you best be off, The guard will have started locking down the main roads. The Fields are probably your best shot.' His tone is not cold but it is still obvious he considers the conversation over.
    Last edited by Exeson; 2010-09-22 at 02:30 PM.
    Sigatar by Me