New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Marius waved a hand as if swatting away a fly. "The highwayman's not important. That's the roadwardens' job, if they'd only do it."

The guards behind him muttered in agreement.

"If these murders continue, there'll be a general panic. That's your job: to find out who's behind them, and how we can stop them. Everything else is secondary." He paused, thinking. "If you think your witness knows something, he needs to be investigated. If you think these tunnels are connected, they need to be investigated - that is, if you think you can investigate with the Church's men underfoot. I may not know what the Witch Hunter is doing, but men like that are never idle. I'd rather not still be in the dark when he draws his conclusions."

He looked over his shoulder at his guards.

"As for storming the tunnels... my men are stretched thin keeping order as it is. If I was seen to send them off on a wild goose chase, and if the killings continue - well, it could hurt our position far more than help. If you're confident that these tunnels are the answer, then I can spare you a few men. No more." He shrugged. "As for the rats, I can't pretend I understand such a thing any more than you do... perhaps you disturbed a nest, or something of the sort? You might talk to a ratcatcher. I would think that was a rather low priority, however."

The Captain looked back at Raffy. "So those are your orders. Find the killer. I don't care how you do it, just do. My men can keep watch day and night, but it does no good against an invisible murderer that can pass in and out of a locked room at will - and in the meantime, the people grow agitated." He coughed. "I've heard your reports, but you've seen these things first hand. I trust your judgement. Sigmar knows you've found more out in the last week than the whole pack of Hounds."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-21 at 06:10 PM.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy doesn't salute, but he takes on a tone of deep respect - one would almost say loyalty. "Then we will hard press the murderer till we catch him, Sir. And leave bandits to the roadwarden." The choice of the male pronoun might ring especially loud to Illiiya.

He drops his tone somewhat lower however - almost trying to assure the other guardsmen in the room wouldn't hear. "However, recall that the beast men plagued the roads till recently. How odd that within days of their death, a new threat seizes the road. Pilserier had a contact outside of town - I expect this highwayman is a deliberate ploy from the Chaos to harry you."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

Marius shook his head. "The Wolf's been preying on the northern roads for a while now. It was him that people suspected when the stone shipments went missing - at least, until you caught those beastmen in the act." He sighed. "He went a long time between his last crime and this one. Perhaps he'll do the same again. Gods above know we have more important things to deal with."

OOC: Earlier references are here and here.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-21 at 07:25 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "These captives, though... you understand that's an extraordinary claim. Did you secure any evidence that they're down there?"
    "No sir, I couldn't," admitted Pieter bitterly. "I was planning to bring you a score of witnesses, but things turned out differently." He glanced sideways at Ithelus.

Don't blame the Elf, he told himself. With or without him, it would have failed. Maybe he did the right thing.

"So obviously I can't expect you to believe me. I had trouble believing it myself." He clenched his jaw. "But I'll prove it."

"If you think your witness knows something, he needs to be investigated. If you think these tunnels are connected, they need to be investigated - that is, if you think you can investigate with the Church's men underfoot."
    "If the Hounds are exploring the tunnels," remarked Pieter, "it's because they're pretty sure it's worth their time. And if it's worth their time, it's worth ours."

"As for the rats, I can't pretend I understand such a thing any more than you do... perhaps you disturbed a nest, or something of the sort? You might talk to a ratcatcher."
    Pieter let out a skeptical grunt, but on second thought decided not to dismiss the ratcatchers' help so quickly. They surely knew better than anyone what was going on under the city.

I'll look into it after those meetings with Lenkster and Maria.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-21 at 09:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

After Pieter tells his story Raffy gives another neutral evaluation. "Sir, no one else saw the alleged slaves. However, Lothar and I can both vouch for the rat attack. It was unnatural, Sir. They acted like an army - they ran into explosions to keep up the chase. I swear to Sigmar." He glances at Lothar for a third opinion.
    Lothar nodded at Raffy's glance. "Aye, sir. Damnest thing I've ever seen, an' I've seen some- well, sir. The War weren't that long ago, sir. But you speak right, Captain; this murder's the thing. We'll get it done."
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus stands at the back, knowing that if anyone here truely knew what he intended to do today he would be clapped in iorns... If Raffy didn't kill him first.

'I think there is a connection between the tunnels and the murders, Who says that is not how they are getting into the buildings? So far there seems to be no pattern so trying to aticipate the murderer seems foolish.'
    Sigatar by Me

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Marius nodded slowly. "That could be the case. The man we saw yesterday seemed to me to have no idea that there was a tunnel beneath his house." He paused. "There's been more than one murder on an upper floor, however - and behind locked doors and windows. You'd still expect a tunnel-crawling murderer to have to pass in and out of his victim's room."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

"And they lock after they leave," said Pieter quietly. "Sounds like the murderers' way to tell us that no one is safe. They're trying to spread panic. And it suits the Hounds, since they can justify their power abuse. They play in the murderers' hands..."

He stopped himself. No one here seemed to have much love for the Hounds, but he did not want to let slip his general anti-authority ideas.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-22 at 08:20 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Marius looked skeptical.

"In which case, one would expect them to be visible exiting the room. We've had witnesses who were awoken by the screaming of the victims, but swear they saw no-one pass in or out of the room where they were found."

"It may be what the Church wants, but we can't dismiss the possibility of sorcery." He glanced at Illiiya. "Either that, or our murderer is exceptionally stealthy... and exceptionally fast. As far as we can tell, last night's murders mostly occurred within a very short period of time, the same as the night before."
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-22 at 08:34 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

"Exceptionally stealthy, exceptionally fast..." Raffy echoed. "Like a rat."

He looked at Marius. "Sir, if the sorcerer can turn into a rat, he wouldn't need to unlock doors. He could squeeze right under most of 'em. And no one would notice one rat in the shadows compared to the--well, the body Sir."

He tapped his foot. "Sir, if I may suggest something Sir, something rather big.... what if you put out the word, officially, that rats are believed to be the familiars of the sorcerer who's killing these people? Please hear me out Sir!" he suddenly picks up his pace as he (I presume) sees a look of skepticism seize Marius' face. "If I'm wrong then you'll at least have the whole town feeling like there's something helpful they can do. They'll be setting rat traps, sealing mouse holes, changing their thatch... generally keeping busy and feeling they have a purpose, Sir. That'll hold off the panic a bit. And if by some tiny chance I'm right... well, it sure will make the sorcerer's job a lot harder if everyone in town is looking to kill rats."

((once Marius makes a decision on the rat idea))

"Sir, I'd also like to ask about the murder in the castle. Who was the victim, Sir? Anyone of standing?"

((after answer))

"Did he have any known political foes, Sir?"

((after answer))

"And what about your f--, uh, his Excellency the Baron, Sir? Will he be retiring to a country home for his safety?"
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Marius blinked.

"That's... um, that's quite a suggestion." He paused. "I'd have to tell the Witch Hunter first. If the Guard were to act on information that had not been passed on to the Church - well, I wouldn't like to be charged with withholding evidence from the Templars."

"What you say about giving the people something to do, keeping them calm... it might have some merit, but at the same time, there are more rats than people in this town right now. If the common folk thought the rats could kill, it might have the opposite effect."

He looked Raffy in the eyes.

"If really think that's true - or strikes close to the truth - I'll put out the word. But if it turns out to be false, the consequences could be the end of our investigation."

"Sir, I'd also like to ask about the murder in the castle. Who was the victim, Sir? Anyone of standing?"
    Marius shook his head. "Below-stairs. A scullery boy, I think."

"And what about your f--, uh, his Excellency the Baron, Sir? Will he be retiring to a country home for his safety?"
    "No - that would give people the excuse to panic. His chambers will be guarded at all times, but he will remain in Delberz."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #72

"What I wanna know," Lothar piped up, "is whether the new murders look like they were done quicker than the others. I mean- more an' more are happening faster'n faster, right?"
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya had been quiet and pensive since waking this morning, keeping to herself. It was almost as if she'd regressed a bit back to the way she used to be, but with less jumping at every noise and shadow.

It's the tunnels.... um... I-in the tunnels. She said finally, her voice far off and unfocused, I didn't see... what Pieter did. But I felt it, down there. The... the winds... d-don't move right. It felt like... I... I don't even know how to describe it. It felt like being buried alive. Just... breathing the air in the dark... as if gets thinner and thinner... and your head starts to fade... and you can just feel that heavy, crushing weight... all around you.

She'll pause for a moment, clenching her hands tightly... and shivering, as if she's forcing herself to do what she plans to next.

Don't even think it! They'll turn on you! Never trust you again!

Right now *I* don't trust me.

But... I've been.... seeing things. Hearing things. A-all the time. She confessed, I... I'm sorry. I have trouble... telling what's real, and... w-what's not. I was sure... so sure... that I knew what was happening. But... but maybe I imagined it. Maybe I imagined all of it. Oh gods, I need help. I don't think I can do this anymore.

She spent a moment to compose herself, putting on her best determined face and mustering up as much willpower as she could manage.

But no matter what... The tunnels are real. Pieter saw the people down there. Everyone still has scars from it. There IS something horrible down there. She said resolutely, Instead of the guards wandering on patrol... maybe you should put them at every exit from the sewers and tunnels you know of, and see if tha changes a thing. It... cannot possibly grow worse, can it?
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

"I'd have to tell the Witch Hunter first. If the Guard were to act on information that had not been passed on to the Church - well, I wouldn't like to be charged with withholding evidence from the Templars."
    "Of course Sir. Though as few people as possible should know it's a ruse - we wouldn't want info leaking."

"What you say about giving the people something to do, keeping them calm... it might have some merit, but at the same time, there are more rats than people in this town right now. If the common folk thought the rats could kill, it might have the opposite effect."
    "Well Sir, I leave it up to you to decide of course. If you do make the announcement, we oughtn't say every rat is in league, just that he has a rat as a familiar. So they should kill rats on sight, but needn't fear they are surrounded by witches."

"If really think that's true - or strikes close to the truth - I'll put out the word. But if it turns out to be false, the consequences could be the end of our investigation."
    "Sir, I know with certainty that there are supernatural rats in this town. I haven't even a guess whether they are involved in the murders. But my own thought, Sir, is that if I am completely wrong - no one will ever know. If we find the murderer and his familiar is not a rat, how would anyone prove it? If he's not even a sorcerer, would the rumours of sorcery suddenly go away?"

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

"What I wanna know," Lothar piped up, "is whether the new murders look like they were done quicker than the others. I mean- more an' more are happening faster'n faster, right?"
    Marius shook his head.

“The same horror-show as the others, I’m afraid. If you want to examine them, a fair few of the bodies haven’t yet been moved.”

But no matter what... The tunnels are real. Pieter saw the people down there. Everyone still has scars from it. There IS something horrible down there. She said resolutely, Instead of the guards wandering on patrol... maybe you should put them at every exit from the sewers and tunnels you know of, and see if tha changes a thing. It... cannot possibly grow worse, can it?
    Illiiya’s words seemed to give the Captain food for thought.

“That’s not a bad idea – but then again, we haven’t had dedicated sewerjacks in Delberz for more than a decade. I wonder if there’s anyone left who knows all the ways in and out.” He paused. “We can at least guard the ones we know, though – and the outlets into the river. I’ll see to it.”

"Sir, I know with certainty that there are supernatural rats in this town. I haven't even a guess whether they are involved in the murders. But my own thought, Sir, is that if I am completely wrong - no one will ever know. If we find the murderer and his familiar is not a rat, how would anyone prove it? If he's not even a sorcerer, would the rumours of sorcery suddenly go away?"
    Marius nodded to Raffy. “You have a point. I’ll speak to Jagrun today, put the word out as soon as we can.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"Rat traps in the sewers," muttered Pieter, as if thinking out loud. "And arsenic, too. Can't be too careful."

He frowned.

"Sir," he asked off-handedly, "what sort of machinery is under the city? Is it some kind of mechanized waterworks, or such? I could hear it while I was in the tunnel."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-23 at 09:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Marius' brow furrowed.

"...Machinery?" he asked. "Under the city? There's none - never has been, either." He paused. "There's a water-wheel on the river, but I can't think of anything else."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter's frown deepened.

"Ah... thank you."

He was from Nuln, and he could tell the sound of machinery when he heard it. It was not his imagination. He glanced at Raffy and Lothar, hoping to meet their eyes — surely they, too, had heard something.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

'Me and Illiiya heard something down there too, thudding, it could easily be machinery.' He pauses, 'I think we should go back to the house that we caught Puderbrand in, turn over every flagstone and floorboard. I'm guessing there might be a tunnel there as well, it might give us a back door in.... He pauses, Hang on, Lothar, didn't you say they were tunneling through to the sewers down there?'
    Sigatar by Me

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy heard the machinery too, but doesn't say anything.

To Ithelus: "Yes, he had two tunnels as I recall, one that went into the sewers and an unfinished one that dead-ended."

He adjusts his 'buss on his hip and eyes the door.

((I am ready to go when the others are. I'd like to stop tpo purchase powder & shot on the way to see Lenkster.))

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, perhaps that might bear looking into also," said Marius. "Which means it's about time you got to work." He nodded. "You're dismissed."

OOC: If anyone has anything more to say to Marius, feel free to: I'm putting this post up so's to save time, not to cut people off.

[hr]

Leaving the Guard House, the group were immediately confronted by the sight of a trio of men crossing Judge’s Square, towards the notice-post that stood in its middle: wearing the white armbands of the Hounds, they ostentatiously nailed a large handbill to the post at eye-level before moving on, the sheaf of similar papers in one of the militiamen’s hands implied that they were putting them up all over town.

People were already crowding round the notice, but it was not hard to get a good look – it was a simple message, in large, bold letters.

Poster

Before they could turn to leave, a shabbily-dressed man practically bumped into Raffy, looking up at the young man’s face with a snuffling apology.

“’Scuze me,” he said, “but are you the one they’re callin’ the Sparrowhawk?”

On confirmation, he pressed a grubby scrap of paper into Raffy’s hand.

“Bloke down Neumarket way wanted me to give you this. Dunno why, but he gave me a schilling and all.” He touched his grubby hat with a hint of deference, Raffy’s sharp new clothes evidently having made something of an impression on his peasant nature.

The note was written in the same spidery hand as the one they had received outside the castle. To Raffy, the letters were all so many incomprehensible symbols – it was clear, however, that the writer had put a message on both sides.

Note: Front
    Spoiler
    Show

Reverse
    Spoiler
    Show

“I hope it’s good news, yer honour,” said the man. “Now if you don’t mind, sir, I have to be on my way...”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"Let me read it to you," offered Pieter, extending his hand.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-23 at 01:46 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

To the messenger:

Raffy scans the note as if he can read it, and nods. "Thank you," he says simply.

Raffy smiles at the man. "I can't make anything of these letters, sir. Never was much of one for reading. But thank you for bringing it."

As the man disappears into the crowd he hands it to Pieter or whoever and lets them read the markings.

((OOC note: I keep forgetting I haven't much money. We can go right to the theater, I'll save my munition shopping till after Maria's house.))
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-23 at 02:45 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"The mandrake man will lie, watch where he goes." Frowning, Pieter turned the sheet over. "Shun the tunnels, they will be your death." He arched an eyebrow. "Now I wonder, is this a warning or a threat? Um... does someone still have the other anonymous note? I'll have a look at it."

(assuming someone gives it to him:)

"The writing looks pretty similar..."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-23 at 08:16 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

25. - Top - End - #85

"Wait, wait- who gave this to ya, mate?" Lothar called out at the departing messenger. "Another piece o' the moon, if you can tell us where to find him."
    Games:

=

=

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Not one to turn down the offer of hard coin, the peasant stopped. At Lothar’s question, he took off his cap, scratching his head.

“I don’t rightly know, mister. He had a cowl down over his face – I thought maybe he was a monk or somesuch. Little feller, though. Had a funny smell to him." He paused. “Seemed in a terrible hurry – he scurried off sharpish after he gave me the note.”
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

27. - Top - End - #87

"Tell you what- here's a few coppers. Spot him again, come find the me at the Carter's Rest, or Sparrowhawk here at the Tongs- and you'll get a full other silver."

OOC: Party loses -5cp.
    Games:

=

=

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The man touched his forelock.

"I surely will, mister."

Stowing the coppers away, he headed off into the gathering crowds of the square.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

"Fear not, Lothar, your money's safe," said Pieter dryly. "Our anonymous monk won't be seen again, unless he wants to send us another note."

The initiate was not inclined to trust people who hid their faces under cowls and paid random strangers to deliver their messages. Granted, Ranaldites were known to do that too. But of course, he did not trust other Ranaldites either.

"I just can't wait to hear what Lenkster has to say."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-23 at 08:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

30. - Top - End - #90

The soldier shrugged. "No harm done, an' we made a friend on the streets. That's worth a few coppers- an' if it works out, all the better."
    Games:

=

=