New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 30 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #871
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

Raffy the Sparrowhawk & Ithelus the Ithelbird

Spoiler
    Show

He looks at Kleiner. "Where's the back way out. I don't expect you want me moseying out the front door and smack into the Guard like you let me go."
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

2. - Top - End - #872
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy & Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner raised his eyebrows.

"Bruno'll show you. Ain't that right, Bruno."

The bearded giant gave a grunt and nodded, still watching the Sparrowhawk like... well, like a hawk.
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

3. - Top - End - #873
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk and Ithelus the Purple-Hootered Nosedive

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy tips his filthy new patchwork cap at Bruno as if out of respect. "Aww thanks Bruno."

As he edges toward the stairs he says to Ithelus, "Maria should be far from here by now. If the murders continue it's the Lector. If you still care, you might want to nose around him a bit."

As he disappears down the stairs Ithelus hears a final: "Good luck."

Raffy the OnHisOwnBird
    Spoiler
    Show

((Are there any clothes among the things downstairs in the pawnshop?))
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

4. - Top - End - #874
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Yes - sad, shabby things. The proprietor, however, is nowhere to be seen.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

5. - Top - End - #875
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((So if I just grab a few things, with my pistol out, Bruno is the only one to object? Are we headed into the shop part of the building again or...?))

6. - Top - End - #876
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus turns to Kliener. 'Well, we've had our talk now and I think it is safe to say he won't give us trouble.' He smiles, 'still gonna kill me, sir?'
    Sigatar by Me

7. - Top - End - #877
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner made a face, sucking his teeth.

"I s'pose not. I won't deny, you did good just now." He glanced darkly in the direction of the stairs. "Won't make no promises 'bout him, though."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

8. - Top - End - #878
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'Who knows,' He sheathes his weapons, 'So, have I done enough to get my cut?'
    Sigatar by Me

9. - Top - End - #879
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    With a grudging nod, Kleiner fished somewhere beneath the dirty woolen blankets that swaddled his knees, producing a leather purse and throwing it to Ithelus. It had a nice weight to it as the elf caught it.

"That means we're square, Mister Ith," said the crime lord. "I won't let it be said I don't deal square with them what works for me. I was plannin' on seein' whether you'd want to be stayin' on for any more jobs after you got your cut there - but after this little adventure we've had, I think it'd be best if you went your own way."

He turned his head sideways to look at the elf.

"We got any more business, or are we settled?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

10. - Top - End - #880
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((Dunno if you missed my second question but I'll just do my best to drive the scene forward))

As they go through the pawn shop Raffy picks up a drab overcoat and a wide-brimmed hat that had seen better days - its brims droop down on either side and if there was ever a feather stuck in it, it's gone now.

If Bruno opens his mouth to object Raffy shoots him a "Don't even start" look and tightens his grip on his pistol-handle. He waits for the big man to show the way out.

((I'd like to hear a description of the back way out just so I know how to make use of it as a back way in, in the future.))

Once outside Raffy backs away from the door, keeping an eye on it and any back windows as if worried he'll be shot as he leaves. He looks up at the sky ((about eleven o'clock I reckon?)) and tries to guess what events might be in motion.

Illiya'll be in jail. Lothar too, he won't run away. Pieter would've got out of there one way or another. Maria should be past [town the stone shipment started in] by now. Hounds'll have her place wrecked. Marius....

He bit his lip.

What about Marius? He's got to be starting the sewer plan. O please Marius, start the sewer plan. You've got the map, you can't be totally convinced Jagrun is the - You're not even convinced, why would Marius be? Could be the Lector or--

His thoughts were a jumble. He's a damn fool if he doesn't get those sewers under watch, and smoke out the rats. If that's true then he doesn't have many men to look for you. He's got to focus on a few places. The Tongs, Maria's, maybe the North Wind. The--

He pales as he paces the alley. You told him to recruit from the Fields. He's just about got to now. Dammit Sparrowhawk. He brightened, realising he had just called himself Sparrowhawk without thinking about it. Well you couldn't go there anyway, Ith suggested it, and you can't go where he'll find you again.

He pulls the battered hat down over his head so that the drooping brim on either side almost acts like a hood, shadowing his face. Slouching, he tucks the pistols into the blood-sullied fine jacket he just ruined, and pulls the overcoat on and buttons it. He shouldn't look bloody anymore, just bulky and far less stylish than before. Slouching to minimise his height, he strides out of the alley and turns toward Doctor Rasen's surgery.

(Staying to side-streets and back alleys; going to approach the surgery from the rear, even if there is no back entrance - better to peek through windows than to walk in the front door.)

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-21 at 06:32 PM.

11. - Top - End - #881
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Bruno had clearly had enough arguments with loaded firearms for one day: letting Raffy take the shabby articles of clothing without comment, he opened the way to a back room, unbolting and then unlocking a warped old back door behind a pile of what looked like papers of some kind.

The door opened onto an exceptionally narrow alleyway behind the pawn-shop - hearing Bruno slam it behind him, Raffy hurried on his way, soon finding his way back to familiar streets.

Taking Delberz's myriad of back streets slowed him considerably, his childhood knowledge of the city proving a little out-of-date: approaching the doctor's surgery from behind, he found a side-door lurking beneath a coat of peeling green paint in the building's left-hand wall, the space between Rasen's house and the next barely wide enough for the cracked door to even open.

Checking that no-one was watching him, he knocked as loudly as he dared. There was no answer from within. Waiting perhaps a minute, he knocked again, this time knocking for twice as long - still nothing. Maybe the Doctor was out?

OOC: Sorry, I thought I'd answered both questions. Can't have been clear enough.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

12. - Top - End - #882
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

((Is there a window on the building anywhere? If so I go look through it.

If not, I look around to make sure no one is watching and then take out my sword to try to slip it in and lift the bar, to enter the premises.))

13. - Top - End - #883
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    Shifting around to the nearest window, Raffy peered inside: he found himself looking into the Doctor's operating chamber, the room with the by-now-familiar table and chest of drawers dark and empty. There was no movement from within.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

14. - Top - End - #884
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Does the window open? If not, back to the door plan.

15. - Top - End - #885
    Titan in the Playground

Raffy

Spoiler
    Show
    The good doctor apparently had a concern for his security - wise, considering the part of town in which he lived - and the window was secured firmly from the inside. Moving back to the door, Raffy attempted to lever the bolt with the edge of his sword - but the door locked with a key, and the effort was fruitless.

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Making his way across town, Pieter cut a path directly for the Fields. As he crossed over the Delb, he could feel something in the air, see it in the faces of the people who passed him by. News of the Witch Hunter’s death was spreading fast, multiplying and no doubt distorting by word-of-mouth – what he could sense was the slip and rumble before the avalanche began, the first wobble of the house of cards. He had felt it before, in Altdorf. It had not ended well.

When he reached the Fields, the word had got there long before him: the sprawling camp was more alive than he had ever seen it, rumours leaping from person to person like fleas on a crowded ship. Taking a right, he headed towards the little hut on the edge of the Middenheim road that Karl had once pointed out to him as Ilsa’s. The windows were closed up, the door shut – but a bony horse was stabled outside.

Knocking on the door, Pieter heard an alarmed scuffled of footsteps from inside – then, the door creaked open, and the battered muzzle of a gun protruded from the shadows within.

“Who are you?” said the young woman holding the other end, glaring at Pieter with hard, hostile eyes. “What do you want?”

[hr]

Illiiya

Spoiler
    Show
    Hauling the elf forwards by her elbows, the Hounds dragged her towards the back of the house before chucking her unceremoniously into a windowless, unfurnished room – slamming the wooden door shut on her, there was a grating scrape of wood as what sounded like a heavy bolt was dropped into place on the other side. She was left alone – only the cracked plaster of the walls and the woodlouse that was scuttling between the soiled rushes on the floor kept her company.

Outside, she could hear the muffled voices of her captors.

“Right. Gulli, Sturn, you sit watch, y’hear?”

There was a vague mumbling, too indistinct to be clearly made out through the thick door. Heavy footsteps moved away, leaving Illiiya in silence.

OOC: Don’t feel the need to post if you have nothing to do: more will follow when appropriate time has passed for the others. Looks like there’s going to be some more waiting, I’m afraid.
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-21 at 07:27 PM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

16. - Top - End - #886
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy the Sparrowhawk

Spoiler
    Show

Raffy sighs. Today was such a good day till now, he thinks. Ah well.

Slumping against the side wall of the place, he sinks to the ground, feeling the full burden and anguish of his wounds for the first time. He feels feverish and hot as well, perhaps just from the multitude of coats he's wearing. He glances around in search of a handful of snow but finds none.

His rat bites begin to burn, and he feels the weight of a sleepless night. Drawing out his pommander and wrapping it in Ithelus' bandana, he holds it to his face as if he is just some sickly plague victim staying out of the thoroughfare till the doctor returns. He even coughs a moaning cough - but it's not part of the act.

Closing his eyes, he allows himself to doze, catching fluttering dream images of Puderbrand, Marius and Maria. They're all at a polka for for some reason, and seem unfairly jolly for the wounded young man's tastes....

((Guess I'll doze for an hour or ninety minutes (probably waking/stirring frequently from discomfort) or until sounds of people in the alley or the Doctor's house wake me, or for whatever plot-driven period of time you might prefer, since Raffy could oversleep... ))

Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-09-21 at 08:49 PM.

17. - Top - End - #887
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    What's the matter with gun owners? sighed Pieter, showing the woman his empty palms in a placating gesture.

"You're Ilsa, right? I'm Pieter, from the Society. Klaus sends me."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-21 at 07:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

18. - Top - End - #888
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilsa squinted at him suspiciously.

"Why?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #889
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    "Recent events. Have you heard of the witch hunter's death?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

20. - Top - End - #890
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilsa blinked. Slowly, she lowered the gun, stepping back from the door.

"You'd better come inside."

The inside of the hovel was hardly impressive: there was a fireplace in the centre of the earthen floor, a large, locked trunk wedged up against one lath-and-plaster wall. Some tatty old hides and furs had been laid down to make something that approximated a mattress, and that was it.

Moving over to the centre of the room, Ilsa sat down behind the fire.

"Close the door behind you," she said, looking at the fire rather than Pieter's face - rummaging in one of her pockets, she produced a tinderbox, withdrawing the flint and striking sparks until she managed to light the crumbled remains of last night's firewood. The smoky fire illuminated the inside of the room a little better, turning the woman into more than a silhouette.

"The Witch Hunter's dead?" she asked. She didn't seem one for words.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #891
    Titan in the Playground

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    The initiate sat down and nodded slowly. For a moment he studied Ilsa's indistinct features in silence. Karl had told him her story. Pieter wondered what it was like to live with such resentment in one's heart. It was no doubt a bleak existence, and one that could not lead to any good.

He gave her the rundown of the events of Judge's Square, omitting his association with the people involved. He also told her about the accusation against Maria, but did not mention the evidence found by Jagrun.

"The people were already on the verge of revolt, and now the Church has been openly defied. Klaus thinks this is the time to make our move. He calls for a meeting at the Tongs this evening. Will you be with us?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-09-21 at 10:22 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

22. - Top - End - #892
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus nods, 'That's a shame sir. I was planning on extending my services. One quick question sir, What happened to Dort's men?'
    Sigatar by Me

23. - Top - End - #893
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner looked a little surprised.

"Old Wilhelm?" He thought for a minute. "Went their own way, I s'pose. Some of 'em are workin' for me now, as you might expect. Some of 'em who were too tied up in their boss' old ways left town. Couple of 'em went down with the ship, when the Hounds busted it."

He looked askance at the elf. "Why're you askin'?"

[hr]

Pieter

Spoiler
    Show
    Ilsa stared at Pieter long and hard.

“I don’t give two coppers for your fancy lady,” she said, after a long pause. “If Klaus thinks he can bring down the Lector, though, I’m in.”
    She gave the fire a sharp poke with a stick.
    “Least, I would be. But Klaus doesn’t need me, does he? Already got my story. Already been spreading it about. I wouldn’t care, if he had the sense to keep my name out of it.”
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-22 at 06:27 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

24. - Top - End - #894
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus's smile curls into a menacing grin. 'Well, if I'm gonna finally get round to taking Halbermann's ears I'll need a few people at my back who share my feelings towards the Hounds.' He pauses, 'I wouldn't be asking but if we can no longer do business I need to make other plans.'
    Sigatar by Me

25. - Top - End - #895
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner raised an eyebrow. "You're goin' after Halbermann? You're never goin' to find enough friends to outnumber the Hounds, Mister Ith."

"You were pretty ticked off at him before, as I r'member. What's changed, that you're willin' to get so risky?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-09-22 at 05:05 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

26. - Top - End - #896
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    'At the moment a good friend of mine is being detained for being a witch. If I'm to get her out then the Hounds need to be removed. The guard will be much more open to reasoning and logical explanation. The Hounds on the other hand are a bunch of fanatics.'
    Sigatar by Me

27. - Top - End - #897
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    Kleiner's eyebrow fell back into its original position. "Fair 'nuff, I s'pose," he said. "But what's your plan?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #898
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus sighed, 'At the moment I don't have one, but with the Witch Hunter dead they're bound to be jumpy. Any place I might find some men then?'
    Sigatar by Me

29. - Top - End - #899
    Titan in the Playground

Ithelus

Spoiler
    Show
    "You're lookin' for common cause, is what you're lookin' for. People ain't goin' to want to save your friend so much as they're lookin' to save their own skin, and going toe-to-toe with the militia isn't helpin' that much."

He gave Ithelus a sly look. "What you want is an incentive, Mister Ith. Profit. That's what it all comes down to, in the end. You find an angle, and maybe I might find you some friends."
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

30. - Top - End - #900
    Ogre in the Playground

Ithelus
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ithelus tips his hat, 'Then I'll be calling on you once more in the future sir.' He then heads down the stairs, counting the coin purse. Once he is down the stairs he turns the the old man, 'You got a cloak with a hood or something similar?'
    Sigatar by Me