New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WFRP] The Hour After Midnight (II)

"Yes - of course," said the playwright, eager to defuse the confrontation. Taking a piece of parchment, Pieter sketched the symbol - the quill jerked and twitched over the paper, leaving jagged lines of ink behind as if it rebelled at the shape it was being forced to draw. The others recognised it as the Chaos rune Jagrun had shown the assembled company at the Baron's reception - the sign that had been cut into the flesh of the murder victims, the ones who had not been consumed.

Lenkster shook his head.

"I've never seen that in my life," he said, flatly.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sentinel, could you give me an Intelligence roll for Pieter, please?
    Spoiler: My Games
    Show

WFRP 2E - Tales of Perilous Adventure
    The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

Dark Heresy 1E - Wake of the Byzantium
    Episodes: I, II, III, IV, V

WFRP 2E - The Bloody Crown
    Threads: I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Int 47: (d100)[48]

Edit: Meh, forget it, I won't use a Fortune point.

Edit 2: No one told Pieter that this was the sign found on some of the corpses... Could someone mention it to him later, please?
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-29 at 11:32 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:
    Voyages of the Ghostlight (Risus)

Playing:
    The Bloody Crown (WFRP) as Elsabeth Holt, rogue pyromancer and court wizard

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    Ludo has a crowbar, if that helps.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy glowers at the symbol, suspecting it is a sin just to draw it as Pieter has.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

You can grab it on Kindle or paperback.

Proud to GM two Warhammer Adventures:

Plays as Ulrich, Student of Law

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya stood up slowly, seeming distant... with an out-of-focus look in her eyes. She didn't look to the group so much as spoke at them. Her voice was flat and devoid of emotion or inflection.

It's all right Pieter. If he's guilty... and he is... he's no one important. Just another worthless sycophant held on a leash.

She turned to look to the group, Raffy in particular... almost as if she were addressing him personally.

You can finish with the rabble. I am going to speak to the one in charge.

And with that, she turned and left... moving with a firm destination in mind. This was going to end today if she had anything to say about it.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

Nekkid Kyra avatar by Keris Rain!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

"Illiiya, damn it..."

With a deep sigh, Pieter mumbled a few apologies and followed the Elf out of the room. He was afraid of trying to stop her, but most of all he was afraid of what she might do on her own.

"Wait, I'm coming with you. I believe you," he lied.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

Oh wow. I will never again underestimate [our characters'] ability to turn friendly conversation into a possible life or death situation.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

"Ith, if you think it's worth it, will you book him? I've got to go prevent trouble."

He runs out the back of the playhouse. Once they're outside he grabs Illiiya by the shoulder. It's the way he would grab his little sister if he had to discipline her - not cruelly hard, but authoritatively.
    I just published my first novella, Lúnasa Days, a modern fantasy with a subtle, uncertain magic.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Not this time. You won't defend her this time.

Illiiya paused dead in her tracks, looking up at Raffy with a disjointed expression before she seemed to settle back into the real world a bit. She looked at Raffy's hand, then is face, and her expression grew coldly angry as she stared fearlessly back into Raffy's gaze.

Let. Me. Go. She said firmly, her voice low and almost... threatening.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-07-29 at 05:29 PM.
    Anyone looking for awesome art, look no more! Check out my stuff here! I do comissions, for those interested. Catch me at this site: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/rukis/

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy keeps his hand on her shoulder, and doesn't express anger - or fear - at her tone. He keeps a steady voice and says quietly, "What are you going to do?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

"Um. Illiiya. We are going to see Maria." Pieter gently put a hand on the Elf's shoulder. "We were always planning to. But you can't take her on alone, she's too dangerous. You need us. Wait for us, okay?"

For now he thought it wiser to pretend to believe Maria was an enemy: it did not seem like Illiiya would listen to reason. He hated himself for lying to her, but did she really think she could just waltz into a noblewoman's house and fight her?

"It's you I want to protect, Illiiya. Not her."

That, at least, was true.
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-29 at 08:33 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Illiiya pulled away from Raffy, scowling.

She's right. None of you trust me. She said, turning to Pieter, then back to Raffy, You'd rather I just hid in corners and babbled to myself, wouldn't you? You... you only want me around if I'm some sniveling thing that hides from her own shadow.

Worthless humans! I won't be your pet any longer!

You can't tell me what to do. I know... KNOW... who is behind all of this. I've felt things you couldn't possibly understand! I see things that I cannot unsee! She said, her small figure shaking with anger, I am TRYING to help you! But... but you've looked at me like I'm mad every time I try to tell you... and more people die! I am... I...

No! Don't falter! Show some willpower for once, damn you!

I know it's her. I know it! I can prove it! Please... Her voice dropped to a low pleading one, Please... please trust me...

11. - Top - End - #161
    Bugbear in the Playground

Lothar followed along, puffing away contentedly. He watched Illiiya's growing madness with an odd expression; a mixture of concern and complacence. "It can't hurt. All our leads keep drawing us back to Lady Samztunge, and she's already familiar with Illiiya's ma-- ways. This mandrake chap has tapped out, and we're running out of things to chase down."

He nodded. "Plus, it looks like the murders are moving in her direction. Did anyone else see that on th' map?"

He glanced over at Illiiya, then to Ithelus. "I say we give Illiiya a chance to lead."
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-07-30 at 12:29 AM.
    Games:

[WFRP] Ill Met By Morrslieb, as the increasingly-scarred Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Lord of Lost Heart, reprising Lothar Fischer.

[WFRP] The Hour After Midnight as Lothar Fischer, former soldier.

=

January 19-25 2014 is GOBLIN WEEK!

I did writings for it! Read them here!

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

"No one's 'taking on' Maria," Raffy snaps at Pieter.

To Illiiya: "If you can prove it, then do it. Show us the evidence. Show us the evidence that we have to show the Captain and the witch hunter. Right now it sounds like you're going in there to lynch her. That is not allowed."

When Lothar suggests they let Illiiya lead, he says: "I won't follow someone who's going vigilante. It was wrong of me in there with that scum and it's just as wrong with Maria."

He looks back at Illiiya. "So can we do this the right way? Can I trust you to go in there peacefully? Arrest her if there's proof, leave her free if there's not, and not attack her either way unless she attacks first? Can you promise that?"
    Last edited by Another_Poet; 2010-07-30 at 02:22 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

He's patronizing you. He'll side with her over you! Don't listen to him!

Raffy... w-we're not.... We can't prove she's involved. No one will even try! N-not Mr. Marius. Not the hounds. Not even you. She said, head downcast, But too much adds up. Lothar... you agree with me, right? Pieter?

She looked to her other two human companions for support. They understood. they HAD to.

She's... our best lead. And I can't prove to you what I felt around her... but I felt it! I swear I felt it! I promise you... I won't attack her. But people are DYING every day over this. Let's go over there... t-tell her what we think... and tear her place apart. If she really cares so much about the people here, she could at least let us rule her out. If she's innocent, no harm. If s-she's guilty... the only way we'll be able to prove it is making her slip up. She's too smart to have left evidence... and every... EVERY man in the city seems obsessed with the idea that she can't possibly be guilty or involved. Why? Why can't she be? Is she just that perfect? Tell me Raffy... wh-why is it so impossible? Why are you so set on defending her? She is just USING YOU!

The fragile elven woman shook slightly... her rant leaving her red in the face as she unleashed a torrent of pent-up frustration.
    Last edited by BloodyAngel; 2010-07-30 at 09:15 AM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    [Lothar] nodded. "Plus, it looks like the murders are moving in her direction. Did anyone else see that on th' map?"
    Pieter was skeptical.

"I doubt this has anything to do with her. Let us suppose for a moment that she's involved... How would that explain why the murders are heading her way? What would be the purpose? Not very subtle, is it? I think her house just happens to be in the wrong spot."

When Lothar suggests they let Illiiya lead, [Raffy] says: "I won't follow someone who's going vigilante."
    Pieter let out a short, mirthless laugh.

"Couldn't agree more, Blunderbuss Boy."

He listened patiently to Illiiya and began to suspect that Raffy had a thing for Maria. The idea amused him. The Elf's ludicrous claim that everyone loved Maria, though, made him frown.

"We are most definitely going to see Maria," he said quietly. "But we're going to do this the civilized way. We're not the Hounds." He raised an eyebrow at Raffy. "And you're not her lawyer. Got that?"
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-30 at 10:18 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ettin in the Playground

Raffy continues to ignore Pieter and responds to Illiiya.

"Alright Illiiya. As long as we're going there to talk, not fight. I'll be right there with you and listen to what you have to say."

he adjusts the prybar hanging from his belt with a twinge of guilt but knows he can't convince the others to make a side-trip now. Whenever they're ready, he'll follow them to Maria's.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

The tension palpable, the group made their way out of Wishbone Street, heading east towards the well-appointed houses of Manor Street. On their way, they passed a parcel of guards emerging from a house on their left, carrying a stretcher between them – there were the faint sounds of wails and sobs from the interior, no doubt the family of the victim. A thick, dirty blanket had been thrown over its contents: Pieter knew all too well what they would look like.

Reaching Samtzunge House, they found themselves looking up at the imposing front door, the trotting fox on the Samtzunge arms smirking down at them...

OOC: From your first visit to Samtzunge House, you also know where the servant’s entrance is. Front door, or servant’s entrance?
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

17. - Top - End - #167

"We're not 'zactly dressed for the front door; we oughta go 'round to the side."
    Games:

=

=

sext: take my hand as the bombs fall. we will engrave our affectionate shadows on the walls in dush and ash, to last a thousand years. [my twitter]

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Heading around the side of the manor house, the group tugged on the bell-pull by the stable door: after a long wait, the bolts rattled back, the familiar face of Maria's decrepit old butler peering out at them with milky eyes.

"Who is it?" he snapped - stepping closer, he squinted at their faces from an uncomfortably close range. "Oh, it's you. What do you want?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaerae

Official business with the guard. Illiiya said, trying hard to maintain her confidence, We need to see your lady, and to enter this place.

Illiiya had a strange, tense calm about her... and her intentions were hard to read. She seemed all right for now, but she was clearly not acting her usual skittish, fearful self.

OCC: Witch's Sight on full blast! I know it's always on, but now is the time when it matters most, so I'm just reminding you.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

The man grunted, looking the party on his doorstep up and down - stepping back from the door, he opened it wider, admitting them into the stableyard. From their stalls, the two fine black horses the lady kept turned their heads to follow the newcomers with a docile regard.

Leading the way inside, the aged servant showed them into the drawing-room they had seen before: the portrait of Maria's deceased father frowned down at them from over the fireplace, seeming to disapprove as much as the butler did at the presence of commoners in his old home.

"I'll fetch her," said the servant, turning towards the door. "Wait here." He paused, looking again at the three humans' bandages. "Don't touch anything."

Heading out into the corridor, he stumped ill-temperedly up the stairs, disappearing from view. Through the thick walls of the old house, Illiiya's keen senses made out the man's croaking voice, Maria replying - the sound was too muffled to make out words, however. After a short pause, the man's slow, heavy footsteps were audible on the stairs again.

He re-entered the room.

"She'll be down presently," he said. His mood didn't seem to have improved. "Will you be having any refreshments?" he added with excessive chagrin, like a small boy who had been force-fed the words of an apology.

When he had heard their answer, he hobbled away, muttering to himself under his breath as if he believed his guests couldn't hear him. Taking seats, the group waited in a rather tense silence for the object of their disagreements to appear.

Illiiya
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aethyric senses straining, Illiiya searched every inch of what she saw for some indicator of guilt - there seemed to be nothing out of the ordinary, however, if the word 'ordinary' could ever be applied to the behaviour of the Winds.

That was, until just now. Faint but unmistakeable, the transient twitch in the flow of the aethyr that she had felt twice before...

Somewhere on the upper floors, a door opened and closed - there were rapid footsteps on the stairs, and Maria entered.

"I'm so sorry for keeping you waiting. Rafale - Illiiya - what an unexpected pleasure." Taking a seat of her own, she looked surprised as she took in Raffy and the others' appearances. "Gods' breath, what happened to you?"
    Last edited by LCP; 2010-07-31 at 10:14 AM.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

21. - Top - End - #171

Lothar stood as Maria entered the room, knuckling his forehead briefly. A lifetime's habit was a hard one to break, after all, and his officers had trained the former soldier well. At her question, he rubbed his cheeks uncomfortably and grinned a wry grin. "A fight with a razor, m'lady. You should see the other chap."
    Games:

=

=

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Maria laughed uncertainly. "I can only imagine," she replied, nodding to Lothar.

Furrowing her brow, she seemed to notice Pieter for the first time. "Pieter - are you part of Rafale's merry band now, too?" she asked, lightly.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    "She'll be down presently," he said. His mood didn't seem to have improved. "Will you be having any refreshments?" he added with excessive chagrin, like a small boy who had been force-fed the words of an apology.
    Pieter was tempted to ask for wine just to annoy him, but answered instead: "Thank you, but I'm not sure we have much time for this."

Quote Originally Posted by LCP View Post
    Furrowing her brow, she seemed to notice Pieter for the first time. "Pieter - are you part of Rafale's merry band now, too?" she asked, lightly.
    "Oh, hi, Maria." Pieter smiled. "Yes, it looks like I'm with them now. Klaus and I were worried that the Hounds might come sniffing around the Society... You know them, they'll use any excuse to tighten their grip. The quicker this situation is dealt with, the better."
    Last edited by -Sentinel-; 2010-07-31 at 01:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Running:

Playing:

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Maria raised her eyebrows. "Oh? He didn't tell me." She sounded the slightest bit surprised that he hadn't. "A good plan, though."

Her voice taking on a more serious tone, she looked back at the others. "Alfons tells me that you're here on Marius' behalf. How can I help?"
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

((Just want to remind everyone that I actually *am* dressed to knock at the front door - though I go with the others to the back - and should look quite dapper for Maria))

Raffy bows deeply and smiles. "I came to make a withdrawal, actually, while they want to ask you some questions." He frowns slightly. "Sorry... official business and all."

He gives a sideways looks to Illiiya and then heads for where he left his gold.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

There would be no pleasantries from the elven woman... Not even feigned ones. Illiiya watched Maria with a narrow-eyed glare as she entered. Focusing on her anger towards the woman was ample distraction from her waffling feelings of confidence, and she stood unflinching for a change... even though the back of her head held a nagging worry of the daemons who might be at the woman's beck and call.

Smug little whore. This ends now.

To start, you can tell my why this is the third time I've felt the Aethyr shift just before you've arrived to speak to us. Illiiya said in a cold, calm tone, And it had best be an impeccable explanation.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Maria blinked, utterly taken aback.

"The... Aethyr?" she said, uncertainly. She stared back at Illiiya in surprise. "You're a mage, then."

She paused.

"As for your question... since I'm not... I would have absolutely no idea," she said, politely.
    Show

The Hour After Midnight
    The Lord of Lost Heart
    Ill Met By Morrslieb

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

I thought you might say that. Illiiya said coldly.

And then without a moments warning, she began to channel. Her hair whipping around her in a sudden, frigid wind that sprung from nowhere. Under the sudden zephyr the very perceptive might even imagine themselves to hear things... Soft growls and shrieks... even entire voices speaking nonsense in tongues they could not understand. Illiiya's incantation was short, before she held her hand out to Maria insistantly.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Roll: (1d10)[1] + (1d10)[9]
    Information coming in a PM

29. - Top - End - #179

Lothar stood back, one hand going to a sword; an oath spilling from his lips. "What in the name of the Hammer--"
    Last edited by goblinpaladin; 2010-08-01 at 10:16 AM.
    Games:

=

=

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Illiiya Jaelrae

Burn the witch. How... apt.

The tainted will burn. Illiiya said intently, reaching for Maria, Let us see if you truly are innocent, lady.