New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIII - "1 Plot, 2 Plot, Dead Plot, New P

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Right-o then. I have. I really do apologize.
    I would suggest that you would be better off not tackling personal issues for these interviews, but rather use ABR-related matters, like my overly controlling nature, Threeshades' godmodding or Randomizer's inability to accept a loss. Not... real-life affairs. Those can get very touchy.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIII - "1 Plot, 2 Plot, Dead Plot, New P

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
    I would suggest that you would be better off not tackling personal issues for these interviews, but rather use ABR-related matters, like my overly controlling nature, Threeshades' godmodding or Randomizer's inability to accept a loss. Not... real-life affairs. Those can get very touchy.
    Seconded.
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

3. - Top - End - #153
    Troll in the Playground

I've never read the FFF archives. I've made attempts and gotten to like 600 or so but I always quit.
    ____

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonAngel View Post
    I've never read the FFF archives. I've made attempts and gotten to like 600 or so but I always quit.
    I didn't read them either. I lived through them!

5. - Top - End - #155
    Troll in the Playground

I'm feeling killy today. After I finish this quest chain one of you is going to get it... (Too bad it's the main quest chain, right? )
    ____

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fay Graydon View Post
    No but having a character with goals is good.
    I mean I'm gunna use Rae as an example...
    How did he know about the first key? no one else did till Salmon and Leyroy went all trancy.
    Why does he want them?
    Does he know what power they have?
    I'll answer these:

He didn't know about the keys, but it's reasonable to assume that someone on the ship told him the reason why they were doing what they were doing.
    He doesn't want the keys, he's just in this to have fun and see the sights.
    And no, he doesn't know exactly what powers they have, but even if he did he wouldn't want it. Power corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that. Also more mysterious reasons, but those would be spoilerific if I were to reveal them.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    Crae is the bestest daddy,
    I make avatars, all you have to do is ask, and I'll do it if I can.
    My Awards
    I've got a Formspring, ask me questions if you want.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rae Artemi View Post
    I'll answer these:

He didn't know about the keys, but it's reasonable to assume that someone on the ship told him the reason why they were doing what they were doing.
    He doesn't want the keys, he's just in this to have fun and see the sights.
    And no, he doesn't know exactly what powers they have, but even if he did he wouldn't want it. Power corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely and all that. Also more mysterious reasons, but those would be spoilerific if I were to reveal them.
    sorry hun i didnt mean you i ment wassis name... summoned McOverpoweredPants
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

sorry hun i didnt mean you i ment wassis name... summoned McOverpoweredPants
    Lord Raziere? The one who wanted to give the keys to the dragons in exchange for immortality? And turned into an electric monster?

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

Lord Raziere? The one who wanted to give the keys to the dragons in exchange for immortality? And turned into an electric monster?
    Thats the one!
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #160

Thats the one!
    The one where I kicked his ass?
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

11. - Top - End - #161
    Barbarian in the Playground

I have come to announce that I am bored. And took an avatar request for the first time in a while. So I may be killing someone. Feel free to compete for the somewhat dubious honor of being random-killed.
    Kopaka in a former life.

Avatar made with "help" from banthesun.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    *Boot to the head*

Dang Whippersnappers. In my time we didn't have no Reboots or Futures, we just had to read the archive's thousand and more comics and WE LIKED IT!

In the goode ol' days, when I actually made comic strips, we fought ancient evils up-mountain (Both ways!) and the evil manifested in the form of the shades instead of these round-down little Sovices
    I did read the 2000 comics, it really took 4 or 5 days to read all that.

hey, it was all you guys faults, you just said a vague "no godmodding" and such, and oh and by the way, your characters are kind of the powerful side themselves, and its a different format of roleplay than I was used to, all this combined sorta made me confused as to what passed for "too powerful" or "godmodding" mmmmk? you didn't speciafy whata theya werea.

and it wasn't turning into an electric monster! it was internal summoning a storm elemental and using its powers, the altered look is just a side-effect.
    why? so that he looks cool duh.

I mean I COULD make a non-overpowered character who just snarks at everything now that I know what passes for overpowered here, but nyeh.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post

hey, it was all you guys faults, you just said a vague "no godmodding" and such, and oh and by the way, your characters are kind of the powerful side themselves, and its a different format of roleplay than I was used to, all this combined sorta made me confused as to what passed for "too powerful" or "godmodding" mmmmk? you didn't speciafy whata theya werea.

and it wasn't turning into an electric monster! it was internal summoning a storm elemental and using its powers, the altered look is just a side-effect.
    why? so that he looks cool duh.

I mean I COULD make a non-overpowered character who just snarks at everything now that I know what passes for overpowered here, but nyeh.
    Rule 5: Don't godmod others, It's okay to have somebody else say things, but don't have them make any big decisions.

Rule 6: NO SHOWBOATING! in Improv every member is trying to make the rest of the ensamble look good, not to try to make themselves look good. You can still do awsome things, but don't completally overshadow everybody else.

Rule 7: Build Up, if your going to change the plot in a major way, Don't do it all in one post, start it, making it clear what your trying to acheive, if other people want to stop it they can and we dont have to vote your post non-canon.
    --
    Rule 9: Don't finish lethal or incrediably dehabilitating attacks against other PC's, start them and give the other person a chance to react, its not "I cut your head off", its "I try to cut your head off", it's up to them whether or not you succeed.

Rule 10: accept weakness, we are not all superman, we are not all invincible, its no fun if nobody loses anything.

Rule 11: Get over yourself, there are other people in this plot to, so don't plan more then one post ahead and then get mad when people don't feel like going with what you want them to do, I don't care how awsome it seems.
    Amendments can be allowed, rules can be changed according to votes, ect.
    From the first post containing the rules. Just passing through.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-08-04 at 02:36 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIII - "1 Plot, 2 Plot, Dead Plot, New P

He has my permission to include any personal issue I have if he ever does one with Keveak

I never seem to notice them myself so an exaggerated parody of them might be helpful.

Slooooowpooooooke

It wasn't vague to the rest of us, I was just a jerk when I was thirteen.

Also, no fault-calling our whatever you just did. saying it's other people's fault because you didn't get it is mean, meanie-meanie-mean.

My character's got a gun and can run, he works for a completely mortal Moonelf with a sword and works with a penguin with standard magic, a Kung-Fu guy with electric powers weaker than what the penguin could do and a sneaky Thiefling. How is that powerful?

Where should we know you didn't know what god-modding was? it's in the first post and written in higher detail in the FFRPG section.

Too powerful means you can railroad the plot if you feel like it just because you can explode anyone that disagree and god-modding means you
    do stuff without giving the rest of us time to react, simple

If you think it could be fun then do it!

We don't mean you can't have a character who have power, we just mean he shouldn't be able to out-power everybody without breaking a sweat and just steal all the keys thus derailing the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    From the first post containing the rules. Just passing through.
    Hi Brighty!

How's it been going, dude?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #165

hey, it was all you guys faults, you just said a vague "no godmodding" and such, and oh and by the way, your characters are kind of the powerful side themselves,
    Hey, mine isn't. I mean, I'm being beaten up by Q!!! How low can I go!
    Love you really Q in a sort of platonic Gnomish way...
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2010-08-04 at 03:24 PM.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

He has my permission to include any personal issue I have if he ever does one with Keveak

I never seem to notice them myself so an exaggerated parody of them might be helpful.

Slooooowpooooooke

It wasn't vague to the rest of us, I was just a jerk when I was thirteen.

Also, no fault-calling our whatever you just did. saying it's other people's fault because you didn't get it is mean, meanie-meanie-mean.

My character's got a gun and can run, he works for a completely mortal Moonelf with a sword and works with a penguin with standard magic, a Kung-Fu guy with electric powers weaker than what the penguin could do and a sneaky Thiefling. How is that powerful?

Where should we know you didn't know what god-modding was? it's in the first post and written in higher detail in the FFRPG section.

Too powerful means you can railroad the plot if you feel like it just because you can explode anyone that disagree and god-modding means you
    do stuff without giving the rest of us time to react, simple

If you think it could be fun then do it!

We don't mean you can't have a character who have power, we just mean he shouldn't be able to out-power everybody without breaking a sweat and just steal all the keys thus derailing the plot.

Hi Brighty!

How's it been going, dude?
    there is many kinds of godmodding, just saying "godmodding" isn't enough, for example invincibility godmodding and mind control godmodding are two very different types, while super-speed godmodding is different from regeneration godmodding, I know what godmodding is you just didn't specify which one.

I consider super-speed, the ability to summon a space ship/airplane, a certain ponytailed person who can apparently use super clay to reach miles into the sky to pull my character down, a sword that can cut through anything, control over a tentacle-airship, very powerful, yes.

ok, how about summoning like last time, but only with non-living objects and nothing bigger than himself? the only reason he came down here is to snark at people. His backstory is that he spent too long on vacation and forgot what he was supposed to be on vacation from. that sound good?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Avatar Battle Royale Discussion Thread XXXIII - "1 Plot, 2 Plot, Dead Plot, New P

there is many kinds of godmodding, just saying "godmodding" isn't enough, for example invincibility godmodding and mind control godmodding are two very different types, while super-speed godmodding is different from regeneration godmodding, I know what godmodding is you just didn't specify which one.
    All of them are bad, to put it in example form:

If your character were the best tap-dancer ever but otherwise weak and defenceless and I had my character who had never shown dancing skills before and had all kinds of other powers out do yours at tap-dancing it would be a Mary Sue moment and not god-modding (We still wouldn't allow it but that's another post) but if I drew mine out do your s and then had yours say "You've beaten me, here have my belongings" then it would be god-modding because I took your control of your own character from you

I consider super-speed, the ability to summon a space ship/airplane, a certain ponytailed person who can apparently use super clay to reach miles into the sky to pull my character down, a sword that can cut through anything, control over a tentacle-airship, very powerful, yes.
    Superspeed and no other magical powers, mind you. Crow can only do one other thing that constitutes as magic (which has nasty side-effects anyway) and both require specific items.
    The Vendettamobile is a team-jet of sorts and can't do all that much so why is it a problem?
    That was super-denim and I'll let Rae explain that one.
    What sword?
    That tentacle-thing is the first mate of Nitrine, the ship was team Good's team-jet.
    It's all different characters who could by no means affect your character (except Rae) anyway so why is it them you call very powerful?

ok, how about summoning like last time, but only with non-living objects and nothing bigger than himself? the only reason he came down here is to snark at people. His backstory is that he spent too long on vacation and forgot what he was supposed to be on vacation from. that sound good?
    See no problem there, just remember to have funny-fun and be careful not to spoil other's fun.

FunFunFun : 3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #168

That was super-denim and I'll let Rae explain that one.
    Yep, My character has 1 power really (well, he can do simple spells and add his power to other people's spells, but those aren't major), control over denim and the ability to summon it, he is a half decent fighter by his own rights, but yeah magic denim. Yellow denim, like the kind I used to restrain you is electricproof and can deliver shocks, and has the same capabilities as steel. I used my in-comic knowledge of what I could have seen your character do and attacked in the best way I could, which wasn't perfect, a still fireball, for example, could have easily burnt the denim. There were options, and more than the 2 I gave It's powerful yes, but not Gamebreakingly so.

EDIT: OOH OOH OOH! Me, Pick me Q! I'll make you a nice denim suit!
    Last edited by Rae Artemi; 2010-08-04 at 05:22 PM.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

19. - Top - End - #169

What sword?
    Falira's, IIRC...

Edit: Here http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showp...&postcount=248
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2010-08-04 at 05:49 PM.
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Q needs a date with Chris.

Not me, my character with the same name. >.>
    ____

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Well, it's take two for this issue for A Date With The Q. I figured Fay deserved a less offensive try at this.

A Date With The Q #4: Fay Graydon
    Spoiler
    Show

I wonder who Q should date next episode. Should there be a next episode?

Hmmmmmmm.
    This... This was funny!
    You know I actually do have a naked template that i start with...

And I'm dressed as a wolf girl (as its a costume I've actually bought and waiting on to be delievered)
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #172

Are we having that overpowered discussion thing again XD?

I think a good way to summarize the whole issue is this: no one cares about how powerful a character potentially is. People don't care if Mr. A have time stop or shapechange if he uses them sparingly and don't dominate the plot with them. I'm actually left-handed and lazy genius both works, and even if he doesn't believe in trope shenanigans, you can let others win once in a while by:

1. Posting sparingly
    2. Try not to interrupt attempted plot points such as a battle between team good and evil.
    3. Avoid taking on everyone single-handedly.

Overall, it's not about the potential power of a character as much as it is about how you use them. I've roleplayed (freeform) with some of the most ridiculous overpowered things out there and have personally used many of those characters (in fact, Fel is very overpowered), and I was able to have fun with things like very, very weak child characters because they didn't try to dominate the roleplay at every single turn.

And now that I've said all of that...*disappears*

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

hmph.

please just stop all these lectures I just want to put this all behind me.

and don't you talk; I wasn't the one who brought this up. I just want all this forgiven and forgot, not my fault if Fay and Mask are unable to do that.

24. - Top - End - #174

hmph.

please just stop all these lectures I just want to put this all behind me.

and don't you talk; I wasn't the one who brought this up. I just want all this forgiven and forgot, not my fault if Fay and Mask are unable to do that.
    And I only got into it because you mentioned Rae. if you want to put something behind you, here's my advice, stay out of it, if you ignore something when people bring it up, they will eventually stop bringing it up. Apologise once and move on. Oh, and stop blaming us for "Not clarifying what constituted overpowered" or whatever, you say you read through the entire archive, dont you think that you should have gleaned a little understanding as to how much impact a single player could have in such a short amount of time with absolutely no buildup? Yeah, very little.

So, yeah, you want to put this all behind you? Stop blaming others, apologise and move on, until then I guess you will just have to live with it.
    I made comics!
    Spoiler
    Show

[/URL]
    My Awards

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Screw living with it. I shouldn't have to put up with something when I've already learned from my mistakes.

When I screw up, I fix myself, forget about it and get on with my life improved because of it, the end. I don't know why its hard for other people to get that.

So if there are people who still have a problem with me, they need to settle it and get on with their lives, cause if you bring it up, you clearly still have problem with me, settle as soon as you can and go back and do better things than bringing up mistakes and things some people would prefer to keep in the past.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

I think that insulting a group of people who were offering friendly criticism and being generally trying to be helpful because you were mentioned as an example of godmodding (and rightly so) in passing, in a community you claimed in previous discussion thread to no longer be any part of seems a little silly... Take it in stride, my good fellow.

Oh, and Keveak, I'm doing quite well, thank you. As expected, my stress levels have greatly decreased in the past week or two since I dropped back into my stated plan of lurking (apart from these recent two posts), and I have been active on other forums quite happily. I've been able to really think with a clear head, and it has helped me to be considerably calmer.

Keep being a nice guy, Kev.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

I think that insulting a group of people who were offering friendly criticism and being generally trying to be helpful because you were mentioned as an example of godmodding (and rightly so) in passing, in a community you claimed in previous discussion thread to no longer be any part of seems a little silly... Take it in stride, my good fellow.
    that was being insulting? I was just saying I'm tired of the issue.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry, but it did come off as rather rude, especially when Rae was trying to be reasonable and no one truly meant to be offensive. It is no different to Squark's past actions, or Masterranger's tales of godmoddery being referenced as a cautionary tale to this day. If you truly are moving on, simply smile, learn from your mistakes, and laugh along with the rest.

Trust me, things get a great deal more fun when you don't get so fired up about the little things.
    Last edited by Darklord Bright; 2010-08-05 at 03:52 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Screw living with it. I shouldn't have to put up with something when I've already learned from my mistakes.
    I learnt from my mistakes and I make fun of them myself but I guess that's different from person to person.

So let's all look for something else to talk about that won't get the mods attention

Oh, and Keveak, I'm doing quite well, thank you. As expected, my stress levels have greatly decreased in the past week or two since I dropped back into my stated plan of lurking (apart from these recent two posts), and I have been active on other forums quite happily. I've been able to really think with a clear head, and it has helped me to be considerably calmer.

Keep being a nice guy, Kev.
    Sounds like everything worked out nicely for you

Now I'm envious

will try
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

____