New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    blah blah rant blah cast of eight thousand characters who all look the same and all have names with more apostrophes than vowels and that we last saw three chapters ago drawn in a totally different style by a different artist.
    Ask, and Ye shall receive!

http://wiki.drowtales.com/index.php/Clans_Overview

Though clearly not everyone is there... it's at least a sign that the Drowtales team acknowledges that there are too friggin' many characters to keep track of without either cheat sheets or eidetic memory...

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

New chapter time! I see battle! I see...who the hell is that?
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

3. - Top - End - #453
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall View Post
    Not exactly.

I don't really care enough about the story and characters to go on a wikibinge to try to sort them all out (DT is one of these comics that I follow mostly because there are threads about it here rather than on their own merits). Especially when I don't know who they are to begin with, so how would I go look them up?

Unless they have something like the Erfworld wiki, where the latest update always has a page that dissects it and explains who is who (or, at least, gives the names (and links!) to who speaks on each panel). Or they could do something like Legostar Galactica, where you have a "wiki links" section below the comic so that you can look up the characters and events mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

4. - Top - End - #454
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

http://wiki.drowtales.com/index.php/Clans_Overview

Though clearly not everyone is there... it's at least a sign that the Drowtales team acknowledges that there are too friggin' many characters to keep track of without either cheat sheets or eidetic memory...
    Nice! This must be rather new.

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    New chapter time! I see battle! I see...who the hell is that?
    Well from the colors from hair and clothes he looks like an Illhardro. An Illhardro fighter obviously! Also see the tree symbol on the bridge.
    Probably the black suns are attacking the wrong clan!

But were is Arrrieeelll??? I wanna see Ariel, not some auxiliary character. Give me Arrriel!!!

Not exactly.

I don't really care enough about the story and characters to go on a wikibinge to try to sort them all out (DT is one of these comics that I follow mostly because there are threads about it here rather than on their own merits). Especially when I don't know who they are to begin with, so how would I go look them up?

Unless they have something like the Erfworld wiki, where the latest update always has a page that dissects it and explains who is who (or, at least, gives the names (and links!) to who speaks on each panel). Or they could do something like Legostar Galactica, where you have a "wiki links" section below the comic so that you can look up the characters and events mentioned.
    Not easy to please, are we? Fore someone who is not so interested in the comic, why don't you only concentrate to memorize the main characters, Team Ariel and Team Tainted. Here you can find a slighty outdated version of the main cast. It's them 80% of the time. See all other pages as fillers and enjoy the comic!

Primary I want to enjoy the comic itself, not to read for each page a text page which explains the comic to me. I also enjoy movies more were there is not an narrator who constantly reminds the audience what the plot is about. If everything would be as cataloged as you desire, it would point out to me that the comic isn't able to stand on it's own.

Drowtales tells a compelling, complex story and yes I am the first to admit that it needs time to get submerges in all the world-setting Kern & Kite have created over the years. But in my opinion it's better if some developments are at one time only suggested rather than explicitly explained! I rather enjoy to think and guess of further developments, or which past events are still lurking in the shadows, waiting to be revealed.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm not asking for the story to be explained. But for the characters to be identified (unless of course they're supposed to be mysterious).
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

6. - Top - End - #456

I'm not asking for the story to be explained. But for the characters to be identified (unless of course they're supposed to be mysterious).
    Always remember that drow are color codes for your convinience:

Red: Ariel's clan, lead by the female version of Atilla the Hun.
    Blue: Imperial clan that twins Chrys and Shinae belong to. Lead by the three eeeeevil sisters.
    Orange: Demon worshippers, lead by the one an only Kharla. And indirectly by Kiel the mad.
    White: Various religious fanatics.
    Black: The emo elves, they are so sad. Also spiders.
    Green: They are biodynamic.

And some other clans too, but they don't do much.

Basically it's red and white vs blue and orange. Or those with normal eyes vs those with red eyes, if you prefer it even simpler. Those with red eyes are evil and the others are trying to kill them because...er...they are evil too! That's drowtales in a nutshell.

So just keep your eyes on Ariel, Chrys and Kiel. That's where the action is.
    Bad to the Bone!

7. - Top - End - #457
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Keil isn't mad. Just everyone thinks she is. (It's not her fault she and Kharla can see the other side of the 4th wall.) She is actually one of the few characters that has something resembleing a concept of right and wrong.

8. - Top - End - #458

Always remember that drow are color codes for your convinience:

Red: Ariel's clan, lead by the female version of Atilla the Hun.
    Blue: Imperial clan that twins Chrys and Shinae belong to. Lead by the three eeeeevil sisters.
    Orange: Demon worshippers, lead by the one an only Kharla. And indirectly by Kiel the mad.
    White: Various religious fanatics.
    Black: The emo elves, they are so sad. Also spiders.
    Green: They are biodynamic.

And some other clans too, but they don't do much.

Basically it's red and white vs blue and orange. Or those with normal eyes vs those with red eyes, if you prefer it even simpler. Those with red eyes are evil and the others are trying to kill them because...er...they are evil too! That's drowtales in a nutshell.

So just keep your eyes on Ariel, Chrys and Kiel. That's where the action is.
    You forgot the other blue drow, the ones who like to party, they are the real allies of the reds

Countdown to the zombie Apocalypse: braaaaaaains.

9. - Top - End - #459
    Halfling in the Playground

Is it me or are these the first chocobo's in Drowtales?

Frecus
    The glade wanderer
    Madwarrior
    Temporary ponytar is temporary

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack217 View Post
    You forgot the other blue drow, the ones who like to party, they are the real allies of the reds
    Well actually we have another blue clan. There are also the light blue traders who want's to be friends with everyone and who can sing really well . They also have chocobo's and a big city which seems to go down in flames as we speak write.

Quote Originally Posted by Frecus View Post
    Is it me or are these the first chocobo's in Drowtales?
    No they aren't. Hi there by the way.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Barbarian in the Playground

Unless they have something like the Erfworld wiki, where the latest update always has a page that dissects it and explains who is who (or, at least, gives the names (and links!) to who speaks on each panel).
    well, if you like your pages dissected, there's still the manga section of the DT forums for you.
    there's always someone who can tell you the names of characters you have forgotten. the guy on the latest cover, for example, is a teacher from chapter 2.

12. - Top - End - #462

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilkar View Post
    LOL! The Illhar'dro clans motto should be "We are in touch with our feminine sides!"

Quote Originally Posted by Fion MacCumhail View Post
    There's always someone who can tell you the names of characters you have forgotten. the guy on the latest cover, for example, is a teacher from chapter 2.
    Hey, you are right! Ok, I agree. There are entirely too many characters in this comic to keep track of. But still kind of cool that we have seen him before.
    Last edited by Miklus; 2011-10-13 at 10:44 AM.
    Bad to the Bone!

13. - Top - End - #463
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

On the DT forum they also identified the two tainted kids. They are the children of Nyoka, here the pre-timeskip version of them can be seen, of course they have grown up a bit now. I see they are handling themselves quite well.

Well Nyoka's line of "sending them on a student exchange to Nurqrah'shadeh" proves that this was already planned out, although I fear that we are now getting too much characters to keep track of and too less time on Ariel, Kiel and Chrystel. Maybe some more main characters need to die to streamline the story a bit? (just kidding, I like almost all characters)

Love the action shots though. Maybe we see Kyonne soon? In fact I am pretty sure of it since she did see a pretty boy of that city in the past, this can't be a coincidence!

14. - Top - End - #464

So the only ones that can fight is the Vloz'ress kids...It looks bad for the Illhardro. Oil the guillotine, it's a revolution!

That the hell is that in the last panel (of page 6)? Is that a reference to Quasimodo? Or some kind of goblin?

EDIT: A question: Drow can be possesed because they have an aura, right? Dragons are magical too and can also be possesed. But are creatures (like humans) with no aura immune?

If so, there is a way out for team tainted (or what's left of it). If they can remove their aura, they could escape the demon taint. I imagine that the drow magic aura comes from some kind of centre in the brain that humans don't have. If that could be removed or destroyed, they could be cured. There are drawbacks, of cause. They would lose the ability to cast magic. They could also have a limited lifespan. But the magic we have seen cast so far was pretty pathetic and what is the point of a 2500 year lifespan if you are going to die at 25?
    Last edited by Miklus; 2011-10-17 at 05:15 PM.
    Bad to the Bone!

15. - Top - End - #465

EDIT: A question: Drow can be possesed because they have an aura, right? Dragons are magical too and can also be possesed. But are creatures (like humans) with no aura immune?
    yes. that's the (main) reason the sarghress have the war meat.

as far as i know, the aura can't be removed from a fae being without killing it, though.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

as far as i know, the aura can't be removed from a fae being without killing it, though.
    With proper preperation it seems the body can be preserved and kept alive. Sharess's body has been kept alive for over a thousand years. But of course it is just an empty shell.

17. - Top - End - #467

yeah, the whole consciousness went with the aura in that case. so (arguably) the fae and the aura haven't been separated.

18. - Top - End - #468

That Yafein and his slavegirls! That the third one! What does he have that I don't?!
    Bad to the Bone!

19. - Top - End - #469

NecromancerGuy

That lucky son of a . . . She's a slave? Well, it'd be pretty terrible to wish I had sexy slave girls . . . Damn morality.

At least she seems willing and able. *sigh*

20. - Top - End - #470
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That Yafein and his slavegirls! That the third one! What does he have that I don't?!
    Owning a lot of Money and living in a society were slavery is legal and not contemned by the general public?
    Sorry couldn't resist.

Probably Yafein is all kick ass now and, with his earth sorcery, powders anybody to a pulp who offends him.

Hey, could there be a new Team forming up besides Team Ariel and Tainted?

Tamiir, Kys'sae,Yafein, Kyonne (?) and maybe pretty boy (?). Given the wild mix I want to reserve the name “Team Circus” for now.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why is Yafein's crotch so low? Is it some Drow rasta-gang fashion trend ? Or he he getting dressed or something ?

And the slave's outfit is... er... interesting. Yes. Interesting is what it is. Quite.
    Last edited by Gamall; 2011-10-19 at 11:20 AM.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Why is Yafein's crotch so low? Is it some Drow rasta-gang fashion trend ? Or he he getting dressed or something ?
    Either it's a strange way to draw the trousers (otherwise how to run in that thing!) or Yafein is da pimp now, so his clothes are pimped up. But then were is his gold chain or his golden Rolex?
    I honestly couldn't keep a straight face while I was writing this!

Quote Originally Posted by Gamall
    And the slave's outfit is... er... interesting. Yes. Interesting is what it is. Quite.
    What outfit? She didn't cover her neck at all!!!
    Old DR joke since almost all characters cover their necks almost all the time, Drows seem really to avoid showing off their naked necks!

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I think he's trying to make those slave girls a subsitute for Ariel.
    Last edited by HandofShadows; 2011-10-19 at 01:14 PM.

24. - Top - End - #474

Probably Yafein is all kick ass now and, with his earth sorcery, powders anybody to a pulp who offends him.
    He looks like the drow version of Gordon Freeman from Half-life! Expect the beard, but drow don't really have beards.

LOLLLLLLLLL! Maybe the Illhardro has turned him into a hip-hop gangsta now!
    Bad to the Bone!

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I think he's trying to make those slave girls a subsitute for Ariel.
    Was he ever interested in Ariel like that? I don't remember any hints that their relationship was ever romantic/sexual in nature.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    Was he ever interested in Ariel like that? I don't remember any hints that their relationship was ever romantic/sexual in nature.
    Actually in the old, outdated and no longer online available version of Drowtales, there was a kind of three way relationship going on with Ariel, Faen and Yafein until Faen ran away and Ariel killed Yafein's slave (that much remained the same).

But in the revised version I don't think so. However I think it's pretty sure that Yafein still has some kind of issue with Ariel.

He looks like the drow version of Gordon Freeman from Half-life! Expect the beard, but drow don't really have beards.
    Hmmm so Yafein is the secret hero after all, who will at the end, enter the nether world dimension to kill the Overlord turtle demon?

27. - Top - End - #477
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

I'm starting to like Yaefin in this chapter.
    I love the attitude and the sexy slave girls aren't half bad!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I don't think romance has a thing to do with it.

29. - Top - End - #479

Actually in the old, outdated and no longer online available version of Drowtales, there was a kind of three way relationship going on with Ariel, Faen and Yafein until Faen ran away and Ariel killed Yafein's slave (that much remained the same).
    this (probably outdated) world setting page is still online.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

Huh. Can the outdated version be found anywhere? It sounds like it'd be an interesting read - everything I hear about it makes it seem like more of an experiment with morality than the current story (not that the current story isn't good).

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I don't think romance has a thing to do with it.
    That was meant as an "or" slash

So, uh... Have we seen a single bisexual male so far? I mean, the comic obviously loves its lesbian/bisexual females, but any male with a hint of sexuality seems to be paired off with a female. Or have I missed something?

(this actually annoys me a bit. It changes the bisexuality from a potentially interesting world setting detail to pure fanservice... which seems below Drowtales' general setting and detail skills)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.