New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilkar View Post
    It's really a kind of a mirror of 'Ariel's Group'
    I noticed this as well. Considering how well mapped out the storyline is this is clearly intentional. But how will it play out?

2. - Top - End - #32
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    I noticed this as well. Considering how well mapped out the storyline is this is clearly intentional. But how will it play out?
    Who knows the future? I think that the two groups will not interact in some time, especially since Chiri and her Warder are still in the overworld. Maybe they will clash after the timeskip? If there's no Kyonne present, who could then play the mediator (again).

Too many members of the two groups hate each other, therefore each initial meeting would be quite hostile, that's for sure. The Sharen hate the Sarghress and vice versa. The Kyrols hate the Vlozress, Kiel blames Ariel for the death of her brother (quite true) and I don't think that Ariel will be happy when she sees Nau and Khal.

Of course this is only true if they all continue to survive. Taken into account that some characters already died in Drowtales, sneaking around in Snadya's Lair might be quite dangerous. After all, if no cure for 'bad' tainting is found, all members of Team Tainted will die, eventually.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

And then you have Mini Diva in there to make it even more complex. How will she react to her grand kids?

I think that how things end up will depend on if someone can figure out that many of the them are on the same side to some extent.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

It seems pretty odd that no one notices that people are conveniently sprouting riches in the recent strip.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Poor Relic Hunters. Seems like a lot of people are looking for WMD in one form or another. The Sharen with the Tainted, the Jaal have a nasty bioweapon and there is the Demon God that members of the Vloz are trying to summon. And who knows what other Clans are up to.

Worse, the only a few people are trying to do anything about it and most of the are kids.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Kiroth6 View Post
    It seems pretty odd that no one notices that people are conveniently sprouting riches in the recent strip.
    It seems pretty odd that no one of the Relic hunter notices that they are conveniently sprouting some fungi infection on their skins.

Poor Relic Hunters. Seems like a lot of people are looking for WMD in one form or another. The Sharen with the Tainted, the Jaal have a nasty bioweapon and there is the Demon God that members of the Vloz are trying to summon. And who knows what other Clans are up to.
    I wonder how the Jaals will fit in the general storyline. They could infect everyone. All Drow die. Story ends!

Worse, the only a few people are trying to do anything about it and most of the are kids.
    Why do I think of this suddently?

Team Tainted: "That puts an end to your nihilistic plans of word domination Snadhya!"
    Snadhya: "I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling little kids!"
    (just joking!)

It seems that in the current chapter we'll be watching Team Tainted investigate their school. Apparently it will take some more time, when we'll see Ariel again. Hmmm I know that Drow from the cover somewere. Could it be the one who tried to taint Faen?

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

It seems pretty odd that no one of the Relic hunter notices that they are conveniently sprouting some fungi infection on their skins.
    That is actually more realistic than you might think. There are actually some parisites that force their hosts to get themselves KILLED as part of their life normal cycle. Someone inventing a Bioweapon (it seems to me that this is a weapon left over from the Moons time) that would effect the hosts mind.

I wonder how the Jaals will fit in the general storyline. They could infect everyone. All Drow die. Story ends!
    This may not be far off. Chel is headed for a HUGE blowup and it could be the end of the Moonless Age sometime along the line.

Why do I think of this suddently?

Team Tainted: "That puts an end to your nihilistic plans of word domination Snadhya!"
    Snadhya: "I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling little kids!"
    (just joking!)
    LOL

It seems that in the current chapter we'll be watching Team Tainted investigate their school. Apparently it will take some more time, when we'll see Ariel again. Hmmm I know that Drow from the cover somewere. Could it be the one who tried to taint Faen?
    This seems to be the case.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Lu run fast, because when Snadhya puzzles it out, she will be in a mad rage.

Well Snadhya will not loose Khaless, and since a part of her is still inside of Lu, maybe Snadhya can let the seed grow, so that it takes over. Either that or Lu dies in the process.

Yes, Lu should definitely run fast. She should not have tried to contact Mel in the first place.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ok, now this is really raising the question of who is running the show in Lu's head (the sudden healing is quite unnatural). The demon or Lu? Maybe instead of the demon eating Lu, Lu ate the demon? (I know, fat chance of that happening).

10. - Top - End - #40
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Ok, now this is really raising the question of who is running the show in Lu's head (the sudden healing is quite unnatural). The demon or Lu? Maybe instead of the demon eating Lu, Lu ate the demon? (I know, fat chance of that happening).
    Yes this is suspicious. I don't know what effects heavy tainting has though. Or is Lu beyond tainting (and doesn't know perhaps) ?

Since a demon gets some knowledge of the host, could it be also the other way around? That Khaless-demon-thing was intelligent unlike most of the demons we seen so far. What if we have a mix of personalities in Lu, therefore her confusion. The only certainty for me is that Khaless didn't take over Lu's mind. If Khaless would have taken over Lu's mind completely, she would have behaved different.

-

Oh and Mel in the bath with (Archvillain) Snadyha and high on chocolate is funny. And it is something how girlish Mel behaves in front of her (nihilistic) lover. Really convincing how their hair and the soap bubbles are covering all delicate parts in the last two pages.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well if they showed more it would be a Daydream page. Mel has always had the emotional development of a child. Heck, in many ways Ariel is much more grown up emotional than Mel is.

I wonder how many more levels of "Manipulative ****" Snad can take though. She must nearly be maxed out on them. Or maybe in the Dorwtales Universe the Drow don't have a level limit for tha skill.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Bugbear in the Playground

Oh and Mel in the bath with (Archvillain) Snadyha and high on chocolate is funny. And it is something how girlish Mel behaves in front of her (nihilistic) lover. Really convincing how their hair and the soap bubbles are covering all delicate parts in the last two pages.
    The Vals sure know how to have a good time! I think elf hair is magic, it is always in the right place at the right time.
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Oh noes!

Seems that Naal will die soon. The recent pages were another reminder that Nall will not stay with the others all the time. How often was is mentioned in the comic now that she will die soon? Three times?

I believe that Naal will not survive the announced timeskip.

Also, what a coincidence that this room is the very place were Faen and Ariel met for their first time.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh noes!

Seems that Naal will die soon. The recent pages were another reminder that Nall will not stay with the others all the time. How often was is mentioned in the comic now that she will die soon? Three times?

I believe that Naal will not survive the announced timeskip.
    I had forgotten about that. The timeskip is at the end of 2010, right?

I'm gonna miss Naal. She's my favorite character, right up there with Kiel.

Also, hi. This thread's existence is what finally made me read Drowtales, after having stumbled across references to the comic on TVtropes all the time. So, um... 'sup?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge
    , courtesy of HeadlessMermaid.

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I really don't think Naal's fall is a reminder of her very short time left. If you notice she collapsed JUST as she entered the room. And I also don't think that it's a coincidence this is where Ariel and Fen first met. On the Drowtales forum they went and dug up the old pages when the story was is this area the first time and there where a few interesting things going on. One thing is that it seems that something saved Ariel from crashing into the floor at flull speed.

http://www.drowtales.com/mainarchive...page=1&check=1

So there is someone or something down there. Who or what is the question. At this point it does seem to be friendly. This part of the story has been planned WAY ahead of time.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I really don't think Naal's fall is a reminder of her very short time left. If you notice she collapsed JUST as she entered the room. And I also don't think that it's a coincidence this is where Ariel and Fen first met. On the Drowtales forum they went and dug up the old pages when the story was is this area the first time and there where a few interesting things going on. One thing is that it seems that something saved Ariel from crashing into the floor at flull speed.

[...]

So there is someone or something down there. Who or what is the question. At this point it does seem to be friendly. This part of the story has been planned WAY ahead of time.
    So the room helps certain people while it inconveniences others?

I'd rather think that Ariel pushed herself unconsciously up with her air-sorcery, it's her specialty after all. The images of the ghosts (during Ariel's healing) could indicate something, though. Maybe this was one of the doors Faen was staring at?

Quote Originally Posted by Glass Mouse View Post
    I had forgotten about that. The timeskip is at the end of 2010, right?

I'm gonna miss Naal. She's my favorite character, right up there with Kiel.
    Yes, I think so. Naal is one of my favorite characters (together with Ariel and Diva/Liriel)
    But Kiel I do not especially like. (I don't know why exactly, maybe she is too chaotic?)

Also, hi. This thread's existence is what finally made me read Drowtales, after having stumbled across references to the comic on TVtropes all the time. So, um... 'sup?
    Hi there!

For me the Drowtales forum is a bit too crowded ^^ Also when I look inside, everything I want to discuss is often already taken care of, the rest discussions are then only for fun or sometimes a super detailed analysis of some side issue. Both doesn't suit me much.

Also it's fun to discuss the comic with people who are not fully dedicated to the cause.
    Last edited by Hamilkar; 2010-10-15 at 10:39 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Yes, I think so. Naal is one of my favorite characters (together with Ariel and Diva/Liriel)
    But Kiel I do not especially like. (I don't know why exactly, maybe she is too chaotic?)
    Kiel's chaotic, carefree attitude is exactly why I like her. She's a great foil for Naal (or maybe it's the other way around).
    I can't really imagine one without the other, though...

Ariel and her party are kinda annoying to me. I think mostly because they feel more like an RPG adventuring party than real characters in a story.
    Ragtag-ness can be cool, but in this case it just feels tagged-on.

Hi there!

For me the Drowtales forum is a bit too crowded ^^ Also when I look inside, everything I want to discuss is often already taken care of, the rest discussions are then only for fun or sometimes a super detailed analysis of some side issue. Both doesn't suit me much.

Also it's fun to discuss the comic with people who are not fully dedicated to the cause.
    Hehe. I haven't been to the Drowtales forum. It's a good comic, but not enough to dedicate the time it takes to keep up with a forum (OoTS is special that way ).
    I fully support the "casual plot discussion" approach! Incidentally, I don't think we've ever seen "unconscious magic" anywhere in the comic before, so I'm gonna have to go with "there's something there".
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

Avatar courtesy of the talented Neoriceisgood. Features Pumpkin from my webcomic.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

So the room helps certain people while it inconveniences others?
    What if Naal wan't the one being "inconvenienced", but the demon inside of her?

I'd rather think that Ariel pushed herself unconsciously up with her air-sorcery, it's her specialty after all. The images of the ghosts (during Ariel's healing) could indicate something, though. Maybe this was one of the doors Faen was staring at?
    Faen was not looking at the door during that scene (she was concentrating an Ariel). Ariel did look at the door when she woke up though. The person who did pay the most attention to the door (and even threw a stone at it) is now the one who wants the door opened the most. I wonder if she sees the irony of it?

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ariel and her party are kinda annoying to me. I think mostly because they feel more like an RPG adventuring party than real characters in a story.
    Ragtag-ness can be cool, but in this case it just feels tagged-on.
    A lot of people said they felt that Ariel trip to the surface was a dungon exploration in reverse. And I think it was intentional on the part of the Drowtales team. It did serve it's purpose and the results with all the characters will have a lasting effect on the storyline. Ariel is a little more confident now and saved her friend. Faen is alive and should (will) recover. Diva is back and seems to be falling into a mentor role for Ariel. The fanatics may not be so fanatical anymore and a huge threat to Ariel is dead. Ariel's bodyguard (and closest thing to a true parent) joining the Raiders was a loss, but she is still alive (for now) and should come back with Chu's help.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Miklus View Post
    The Vals sure know how to have a good time! I think elf hair is magic, it is always in the right place at the right time.
    If that is the case then elf cloathing is magic too!

Mel is so trusting with Snadhya, it would be infuriating to watch, if not for the nice artwork of these pages. Very Nice!

Incidentally, I don't think we've ever seen "unconscious magic" anywhere in the comic before, so I'm gonna have to go with "there's something there".
    We have seen unconscious magic with the character of Waes'soloth. During the council, twice (1, 2) when she gets agitated her shadows are forming up behind her, almost like an extension of her body. I don't think she did it consciously. That seem to happen to her without any conscious thought.

A lot of people said they felt that Ariel trip to the surface was a dungon exploration in reverse. And I think it was intentional on the part of the Drowtales team. It did serve it's purpose and the results with all the characters will have a lasting effect on the storyline. Ariel is a little more confident now and saved her friend. Faen is alive and should (will) recover. Diva is back and seems to be falling into a mentor role for Ariel. The fanatics may not be so fanatical anymore and a huge threat to Ariel is dead. Ariel's bodyguard (and closest thing to a true parent) joining the Raiders was a loss, but she is still alive (for now) and should come back with Chu's help.
    Well everyone learned something on (the trip to) the surface. Kyonne that carefreeness can be unhealthy, Chiri that she is of (double ^^) light elf origin and that some light elves are still alive up there, as well to better hold her (very short) temper at check. Shan learned that he, wait he developed somewhat? Liriel learned the source of her headaches, Melodia that she can talk, Faen that traveling to the surface alone and unprotected is not necessary funny and finally Ariel (and Chiri too) that a suicidal frontal attack to a city will succeed, if you have the power of the plot at your side.
    Who finds any sarcasm here, can take away as much as he can carry.
    I do not see so much change (except Liriel/Diva) in the characters, but the trip might still lead to some future character developments in the characters, if they are starting to consider what they learned/experienced. (If they have time for this before the timeskip will take place ) They are all alone or in groups of two, now. I'm really looking forward to see how Diva and Ariel will interact with each other.
    Last edited by Hamilkar; 2010-10-19 at 02:49 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

@HandofShadows: I guess they did learn something new, and I agree that the trip was necessary for a lot of things.
    That doesn't exclude the execution from being poor, though.

I liked the Rik storyline. It had been foreshadowed and felt natural. I also liked Chiri & co.'s new discoveries... though their departure from the group just felt like a plotty excuse to get them away.
    I also like Ariel's bodyguard, and her departure was a nice plot point.

I didn't like the "win by the power of plot" (though I think I read that they had to shorten that particular chapter considerably). I don't understand why Melodia had to come along, except to be neither-funny-nor-cute filler (she's quite... creepy to me, actually).
    Liriel annoyed me from the beginning. She seemed like something waaaay too wacky for the otherwise dark tone the comic normally has.
    To contrast, I like Kyo's wackiness. It seems natural and cute and doesn't leave me wondering "how have you survived until now?"
    Liriel's behavior made a bit more sense after her transformation, which made it almost tolerable in hindsight, though it basically just cemented Ariel's Mary Sueness.

Yeah, I don't care much for Ariel. As far as I understood, the comic originally had Ariel as a product of Evil Drow society and slowly learning empathy. I think that would've been a much more interesting story to read.

Mel is so trusting with Snadhya, it would be infuriating to watch, if not for the nice artwork of these pages. Very Nice!
    Meh. Personally, I was kinda surprised when I realized that the artist is female.
    I adore the details in the backgrounds, and the generally high quality of the artwork. But when it comes to fanservice, I tend to be a bit distracted by the many, many anatomical and physical laws it breaks

We have seen unconscious magic with the character of Waes'soloth. During the council, twice (1, 2) when she gets agitated her shadows are forming up behind her, almost like an extension of her body. I don't think she did it consciously. That seem to happen to her without any conscious thought.
    Ooh, nice catch. I actually didn't notice that when I read the comic.
    Part of me wants to counter-argument that Waes'soloth is one of the strongest characters in the comic (maybe only trumphed by Diva (pre-Liriel) and Ash), so maybe it's not really a common phenomenon.
    However, I have no basis for this argument, so I'll condlude with "huh, seems the theory could be plausible."

Woow, lots of bitching here. I still follow the comic, and I enjoy it a lot at it's current focus on Team Tainted and Snad/Mel.
    Seems like you guys just caught my specific peeves - the reverse dungeon crawl, Liriel, Ariel's Mary Sueness, and the physics-defying fanservice.
    I'll be nicer, I swear
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

[QUOTE=Glass Mouse;9587682Meh. Personally, I was kinda surprised when I realized that the artist is female. [/QUOTE]

Umm. Kern (the writer and penciler) is a guy. Kite, the colorist (and Kern's main squeeze) is female.

As for Ariel currently being a Mary Sue I really don't see it. Ariel was well on the way to be a Anti-hero until she accidentally killed a slave. That was when she started trying to turn herself around. While she is fairly powerfull, her abilities aren't that far out of line with others, just rare (and logical considering who her parents are).

The Old Ariel (pre-rewrite) was much more a Mary Sue. Her abilities far greater than anything she can do now. Really, I tend to think that Ariel has gotten lucky in meeting the right people. Both Faen and Vaelia have kept Ariel in one piece mentaly and physically. Having Diva will along will likely continue the trend as she acts as a mentor to her.

And you didn't know that Queen Blueberry was in part Diva? We discovered that some time ago in the story "The Longest Wait". Read that and Liriel being batspit insane half the time is actually logical.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Umm. Kern (the writer and penciler) is a guy. Kite, the colorist (and Kern's main squeeze) is female.
    Oh. I guess that explains that, then. Also, I'm a moron.

As for Ariel currently being a Mary Sue I really don't see it.
    I see your point(s), and Ariel is definitely not the most reality-warping character I've ever seen.
    The Mary Sue thing didn't really show up for me before the Faen rescue. It was just too over-the-top (and I bet you've heard that a lot of times before). There were hints before, but I think we'll have to disagree here - you see the "right persons" as something negating the Mary Sueness, I see it as an expression of it.
    I guess it all comes down to whether or not we think it feels natural that Ariel meets the people she does, and gets help where she does, or if it feels like the plot is construed specifically to make her meet those persons or get that help.

I'll be honest, too, and say that my judgment may be slightly biased as I have disliked the character ever since Maya's death. Dunno. To me, Maya's death did indeed feel like a turning point, but completely opposite of the way you see it.

And you didn't know that Queen Blueberry was in part Diva? We discovered that some time ago in the story "The Longest Wait". Read that and Liriel being batspit insane half the time is actually logical.
    Oh. I haven't read that one. That sounds like it may redeem Liriel's character to me :-)
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aaaaaaaand Kiel's plan fall apart. 5.37 seconds, a new record for her!
    Bad to the Bone!
    Miko Miyazaki : Strip #120 - #464 : R.I.P.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

Or maybe they counted on Snad to bring the crown along, which means Mel just saved their entire plan!

What? I can hope, can't I?
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

What would be really funny is if Mel was planning on doing something similar with the crown that Team Tainted was planning. She didn't taken the crown by accident.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think that's the case, though. I seriously doubt that Mel would go sneaking around behind Snad's back.

However, if Lu confided in her first, that might be a very different story...
    Last edited by Glass Mouse; 2010-10-20 at 02:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Challenge badge

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well Kiels plan doesn't seem to work out.
    But only because Snadhya is lucky to have Mel around.
    Well team tainted needs to be careful. Let's see how Naal will deal with the headmistress.

On the bright side, as long Snadhya has Mel accompanying her, she won't be too nasty in punishing students.
    Last edited by Hamilkar; 2010-10-21 at 12:39 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Keil is a good planner and I suspect she has a plan B and C someplace. Either that or something will happen that drops the crown into Team Tainted hand's by accident.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Yay, Lu is back! And she's apparently no prisoner, she even has a sword.

Well maybe Team Tainted won't get Snadhya's crown, but the meeting with Lu could yield some results. Although Lu hates the Vlozress as I recall.

By the way, Kiel eating the orange like an apple, eating the bitter orange peel, is the mistake everyone makes who doesn't know the fruit. Happened to a lot of east Germans (former German Democratic Republic) shortly after the reunification, when many of them had for the first time the chance to eat a citrus fruit, which communism wasn't able to provide, apparently.

But it's still funny