New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Drowtales: The Info Dump

I guess Vaelia was about to leave or just got back in, because it would be strange to constantly carry her child on her back.

And I can't but notice that Quain sent away all positive mentors Ariel had.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It was nice to see Vaelia again! She didn't seem to recognize Faen. Faen didn't talk after they rescued her and that was 15 years ago, but she might have recognized Faen's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    I guess Vaelia was about to leave or just got back in, because it would be strange to constantly carry her child on her back.

And I can't but notice that Quain sent away all positive mentors Ariel had.
    I think you are putting too much blame on Quain. I thought that Kelnoz wanted to be where he wound up at although I can't find a link to prove it. It was Ariel's idea to have Vaelia join the Highland Raiders, because Vaelia hated living underground and thought doing so was very bad for humans. I think Diva talked Sillice into letting her raise Sillice's children.

I think Kern probably didn't think about Vaelia not wanting to constantly be carrying her baby. He probably just doesn't know any better.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-04-26 at 06:09 PM.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well, some happy times in the colony. Don't know how long they are going to last but some interesting changes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    No slaves in the colony? (boggles)
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    No slaves in the colony? (boggles)
    It's just Kelnoz being an enlightened dude. As soon as the conservatives manage to get rid of him, slavery will be reinstated.

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by guttering flame View Post
    It's just Kelnoz being an enlightened dude. As soon as the conservatives manage to get rid of him, slavery will be reinstated.
    Actually it seems there are a fairly large number in the colony that supported the move. I don't think one new leader is going to be able to change it easily. And since the new head of the Clan does not want the policy to change....
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Also, the colony seems to have flourished under Kelnoz, so his position and policies might be pretty secure. Relatively speaking, anyway.

7. - Top - End - #1327

"I know you are good people and because good people are in charge, good things will happen. And, if it doesn't go that way, I'll just sell you all to slavers."
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

"I know you are good people and because good people are in charge, good things will happen. And, if it doesn't go that way, I'll just sell you all to slavers."
    So if Chapter 51 starts with everyone in chains, we'll know what happened.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

The cutest invasion ever. And that's from someone who does not do "cute" much.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Well new chapter has started and it's 3 years after the last one. Ariel looks like a very angry camper on the cover. That is very bad news for whoever she is mad at. The Hermionne have arrived at Machike and are looking to destroy the entire place. In fact it has been stated that they want to kill ALL fae on the planet. Even the cute little Locust. Kern (or someone) did the research on how cannon used solid shot. The cannon ball hits the ground and keeps bouncing down the field and through enemy troops. In real life it was horrific to see the results of, fortunately we don't have to in the comic though. I guess that's one thing I have always liked about Drowtails. A real attempt to make things look practical and realistic whenever possible.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Kern (or someone) did the research on how cannon used solid shot. The cannon ball hits the ground and keeps bouncing down the field and through enemy troops. In real life it was horrific to see the results of, fortunately we don't have to in the comic though. I guess that's one thing I have always liked about Drowtails. A real attempt to make things look practical and realistic whenever possible.
    No, what Kern is showing isn't realistic, actually, and I think you just misinterpreted what Kern is trying to show.

Rather than firing through the attackers as you described, he's showing the defenders lobbing the balls over the heads of the nearest attackers in order to divide the attackers into a near group and a far group. He's not showing anyone being hit by the balls. Instead, he's showing attackers to the sides of where the balls hit being knocked down, apparently by the impact of the ball hitting the ground or maybe by debris being kicked up in all directions by the impact. He even shows people that the ball went past being knocked down in a forward direction somehow! He's also showing the balls bouncing up so high they will sail over the heads of many of the people in the rear, rather than just mowing through them.

Kern's forum comment makes it clear that drawing a line across the battlefield to separate the attackers was Kern's intent:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kern
    The main goblin army charge up to the fortification where they are divided by the defenders' artillery.
    Deal with them in smaller numbers at a time is the idea and whats to come will divide the attackers even more.
    So, no, it's not an attempt to shoot cannonballs through as many people as possible; it's an attempt to divide them into two groups.

What you described is accurate as far as how cannons could be used against massed musketry in the RW, though. That was pretty horrific. That's not what Kern is showing, though.
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-05-18 at 02:20 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Ariel has learned to make an entrance hasn't she.

13. - Top - End - #1333

Ok, Shashi is interesting. It was first named during the council of clans, many, many chapters ago.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Man. That place makes Chel look well lit.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

It also looks extremely vulnerable to an attack from the airship.

16. - Top - End - #1336
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

A lot of people had been guessing how the town was going to avoid being wiped out by the airship. And no one got the right answer even though you could see the reason in many pages. "This will be good is right"

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Empath Fight! Bea vs Faen!

Spoiler: Bwahahaha
    Show
    Bea tried to frighten Faen with her powers, make her feel weak and afraid. That's like trying to drown the ocean with a cup of water. So Faen show Bea what the real thing is. There are times Kern and Co do so really great writing in Drowtales and I think this is one of them.

18. - Top - End - #1338

Griffon

Empath Fight! Bea vs Faen!

Spoiler: Bwahahaha
    Show
    Bea tried to frighten Faen with her powers, make her feel weak and afraid. That's like trying to drown the ocean with a cup of water. So Faen show Bea what the real thing is. There are times Kern and Co do so really great writing in Drowtales and I think this is one of them.
    Yeah! I'm not a particularly great fan of Faen (especially after the first time skip), but this was a great moment!
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Leave it Kite to come up with a great Chibi. And it seems Faen's empathy is working on most of the readers.

20. - Top - End - #1340

I agree, Faen's fight was a great moment!

21. - Top - End - #1341

Griffon

Wow, now you got it, Kyo?
    Alamryn Kven, a druid who tries very hard not to be useless.
    Celesta Halla, a fearless barbarian.
    Jheren Falconer, a drifter ranger.
    Rhenner Calami, a snarky medic with an untrustworthy memory.

DMing Ljonarian Enigma: Imperial Affairs and The Pirate Dream: Sliced Heart

22. - Top - End - #1342
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by CWater View Post
    Wow, now you got it, Kyo?
    Blasting at colonists with cannons is peace, as long as you aren't standing on a golem while doing it.

Yeah, this chapter made it hard to keep liking Kyo.

23. - Top - End - #1343
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Now I just wonder what they are going to do with their new toy. And will Ariel wear an eye patch.

24. - Top - End - #1344

...and there goes Salbara, who, as far as I can recall, never was actually named in-comic. I guess that she was something of an alternative to the heroic Dutanvir, something like "Guess what, MY great clan died too!"

The vocal remote control golem also was pretty interesting.

I don't have much to say otherwise, the scene was pulverized among cameos, many of which I honestly don't try to recognize anymore, and the main characters were mostly acting in a stereotyped manner. Very good art, though. Grumpy Faen in particular.

25. - Top - End - #1345

Wow, Nishi is a great hair stylist.

26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

Wow, Nishi is a great hair stylist.
    Bae didn't seem to have hair here and I'm pretty sure she didn't have hair here. Did I forget something that happened earlier?
    Last edited by eschmenk; 2017-11-12 at 02:05 PM.

27. - Top - End - #1347

Nah, I just had assumed she was wearing her hair in a ponytail under her veil. Ear stylist, then!

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGuy

There still might be a problem. Even if Bae's hair was merely pulled back and hidden by her hood prior to being cooked by Nishi, she could have lost her hair to Sara's mana cannon instead of Nishi's fire, I think. Bae's head was bandaged after the Snady vs. Nishi fight, but not before.

OK, I just spent much more time worrying about Bae's hair than I ever thought I would.

Oh, well, I will add that I kind of like Bae's look. Dare to be different!

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Why is that lady out of the brig and why is she coughing and looking sick?

30. - Top - End - #1350

They're the two supposed to watch over Laele too, aren't they? Every time they're around, a prisoner escapes.