New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Dungeons & Danmaku (Touhou)

Kana dashed out of the room and went home to grab her stuff. Things like this never happens!

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Raitan happily spends a little more time within the bar, listening to what others are saying while still jovially having fun. She stops drinking some of the sake, but will gladly encourage (and likely get) several others drunk. When a bit of time has passed, she'll head on out to the lake.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

After he's sure that everyone have disipate, Ganzo catches up to Kaoru. "Wait, tengu-girl, wait! Sorry, I never caught your name. Anyway... Is it true that you can see the future? I'm never much into these things but... Well, don't tell the rest of them, but this would be my first time on uh... these so called 'quest' and I need all the edge I can have against these things that could easily snack on me without batting an eyelash, if half the things I heard are right. Don't tell anyone about this though!"
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-21 at 04:59 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Aisling will go outside to recover her sword, where it is stuck point-first in the ground, then aimlessly prowl the human village for an hour, deep in thought.

She considers luring someone to her home and eating them, since that's what redcaps do, but then remembers she's not supposed to be killing anyone. What do you do with someone you've lured to your home if you're not killing and eating them?

Truly, Gensokyo is a land of new and confusing experiences.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Orc in the Playground

Kana dashed home, flung open the door and grabbed her ready-pack, where she had dumped everything she thought she would need for an adventure like this. As she lifted it, it seemed pretty hefty, but nothing she couldn't handle. Pausing for a moment to grab some non-perishable foods and stuffing them into her pack, she sprinted as fast as she could to the meeting place. She was only 50 minutes early.

It was a good thing she was not waylaid by her parents. They tend to be mysteriously absent whenever something serious happens.
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2010-07-22 at 01:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

After speaking his request Ganzo can find Kaoru almost immediately after the table where she was sitting previously. Well, tengus are supposed to be very fast after all.
    "Don't worry, all of this is strictly confidential.", she lies reassuringly, and pulls out a slightly dusty crystal ball from under the table. It starts to float slightly above its surface, for extra mystical effect.
    "My name is Kaoru - Kaoru Karasuwatari! All I need to see your future is your name... And your gold." She smiles, a bit cat-like. "A fortune teller of my stature requires payment up front."

Siela Tempo by the talented Kasanip. Tengu by myself.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37

Ganzo instinctively grabs his money pouch. "Uh... I'm not exactly rich though. Will 10 pieces of coins enough?"
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-21 at 07:08 PM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

"A bit on the low end, but it should be enough." Kaoru quickly pulls the poster off before Ganzo can take a better look at the price written on it. "Well then, shall we get started?"

She stares into the crystal ball intently. "I see... I see that both good and bad things await you in the future! You will find treasure, and your experiences will leave you wiser and more powerful. But these will come at a cost - you will get hurt, and your yukkuri will get hurt even more. Furthermore, nobody will be able to remember your name correctly!" Wasn't she supposed to ask about his name anyway? "Oh, and I see one more thing! There is a possibility of love in your future! Watch for signs among your companions!"

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39

Ganzo listens to all of the prediction carefully, gripping the edge of the table.

"Huh... thank... thank you. I'll take note on all of your prediction."
    He says, wiping sweats from his brow. "Here, a thank you gift" he says as he puts one more coins onto Kaoru's table.

He could care less about the yukkuri being hurt, but love? This questing business might be more than he bargain for.

And he wonder if he should start to wear a banner like that momotaro guy that he used to hear...

Either way, he then walks toward the appointment place and waits for everyone there.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-21 at 08:17 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #40
    Orc in the Playground

At the edge of the Misty Lake

The lake stands still and unusually silent. There is indeed a wind; at ground level it doesn't appear to do more than rustle leaves and raise up dust, but it increases in intensity at higher altitudes, causing the discolored mist to be blown up and over the landscape. If you squint slightly, the appearance is that of a scarlet wave, suspended above Gensokyo, ready to crash.

Interestingly, it appears the water itself has not been discolored or otherwise affected; the lake is clean and clear, despite the ominous mist floating on its surface.

Nearby there is a strange sight: A sphere of fitfully flickering darkness, about 15 feet in diameter. Next to this, a sapling has been knocked clean over, as if something hit it forcefully.
    Patchouli Knowledge avatar courtesy of the skillful Prime32.

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

11. - Top - End - #41
    Orc in the Playground

Kana looked around and took count of the party members.

"Alright. I think that's everyone. So umm...what do we do now?"

OOC: I try to identify the sphere with Arcana: (1d20+7)[23]

12. - Top - End - #42

When everyone had gathered there, Gonza opens the conversation. "Um, we haven't introduce ourselves, have we? I think we should at least know each other's name. As you know, my name is Gonzaemon."

"Gon-chan! Gon-chan!"

"Shut up you. And you can call me Gonza. Just call this bouncing thing Yukkuri. Don't bother to give it a name, it'll just encourage it to stay."

"Take it easy! Take it easy!"

After they introduce themselves to each other, Gonza orders Yukkuri to lead the way. "Better it than us." He says, not entirely clear what he means by that.

---

(OOC: Um, how do we deal with player knowledge? Gonza have high youkai lore though. )
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-23 at 07:55 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm Aisling," Aisling says. She carries her sword, almost as tall as she is, propped casually on one shoulder. "All this mist on the water reminds me of home," she adds, sighing wistfully.

She decides not to mention the strange darkness. Is that a normal sort of thing for Gensokyo? Don't want to seem stupid...

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

"Nice to meet you all." Kana smiles warmly. "My name is Mukage Kanatsu. You may call me Kana. So...uh...any of you know what that dark sphere is over there? I don't like dark. I like things bright you see. Bright and cheery."

Edit: Speech Colour
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2010-07-23 at 06:30 AM.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm Raitan! The true fairy sentinel! The watcher of stupendous capers! The eater of things delicious!" She peers into the mist "I could give it a little light" she chuckles malevolently.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm Kaoru Karasuwatari. Learning this name is a very good idea." Kaoru nods to herself. The stupid mist annoys her - as a tengu she's prefer to fly up in the skies, not walk on the ground. Well, the fact that she somehow manages to walk in those crazy tengu shoes without tripping already is an accomplishment.

"Hoo..." She observes the ball of darkness. "Sure, why not? Throw a ball of light at it!" Kaoru steps away to the side discreetely.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Orc in the Playground

Kana was a little uncomfortable with the idea but decided to just go with it, on the assumption that her companions knew more than she did. Summoning her magical power, she fired off a beam of bright light at the sphere.

OOC: Attack stats below
    Spoiler
    Show

Lance of Faith
    Attack vs Ref: (1d20+9)[23]
    Dmg: (1d8+7)[8]
    Crit Dmg (If applicable): (1d6)[1]

Enemy gains vulnerability 3 to radiant until the end of my next turn if hit.

I'll grant the attack bonus to Kaoru since she suggested it.
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2010-07-23 at 09:04 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Orc in the Playground

Rumia
    Spoiler
    Show
    You've heard stories about encounters with Rumia, a mysterious youkai of darkness. She's been known to try to attack and eat humans, but she's rarely successful. Her main magical ability of note is the ability to generate magical darkness, which is impenetrable even by sunlight and torches. However, she herself cannot see through it, so it's as much a liability to her as to her opponents. Despite this, she keeps the darkness up at nearly all times, making her true form unknown, at least from the stories you remember.

The darkness is powerful enough that it even diminishes incoming light-based attacks somewhat- as a result, Rumia has radiance resistance 5.

The beam arcs into the darkness. You suddenly hear a high pitched "OWWW!" The darkness shifts slightly. "Is someone there? ...Maybe someone I can eat? They say a snack is the best cure for a headache..."

"Everyone feels benevolent if nothing happens to be annoying him at the moment."
    --C. S. Lewis

"The first person to prove that cow's milk is drinkable was very, very thirsty."

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

"Nope, nobody here. We're just a very convincing and detailed illusion." Kaoru creates a large danmaku and sends it flying into the orb of darkness on a parabolic trajectory. "That was an illusion too. Pay no attention to it!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attacking the square behind Rumia with Dishearten, so only she will get hit and not any allies. It's an area attack so no penalty.

Attack: (1d20+10)[22] vs Will
    Damage: (1d6+8)[13] and -2 to her attack until my next turn if it hits.
    Last edited by Tengu_temp; 2010-07-23 at 07:18 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #50

"Oh, it's just rumia" Gonzaemon turns his head toward his companions. "She's a carnivore, some says that she eats human too, but she's mostly harmle...."

Before he manages to finish his sentence Kana already throws her beam of light. Gonza facepalms.

"I'll pin her in place, then maybe we can get away! Maybe this encounter still can be salvaged!"
    Gonza lets loose a couple of shot from his bow.

"Yukkuri, go distract her!"
    Gonza says as he throws the yukkuri away toward unknown danger.

"Yuuu!"
    Spoiler
    Show

standard action:
    scattering shot (1d20+9)[20] (1d20+9)[29] for damage (1d10+5)[15] (1d10+5)[7] and slide her as far as she can. After that,

move action: move yukkuri to her side for opportunity attack threat. Or just as close as possible to her if it's not possible.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-23 at 10:24 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

"A fight!" Aisling grabs her sword in both hands and lifts the huge blade over her head like it was nothing. Her danmaku technique is... unconventional. Rather than shooting them at the enemy she wraps them around herself and her weapon in a tight bunch of scarlet bullets - then shoots herself at the enemy!

With a blood-curdling howl Aisling plunges into the darkness, boots kicking up turf as she charges.

Spoiler
    Show

Minor: Ready greatsword.
    Move: Move to get into range if necessary.
    Standard: CHARGE! Using howling strike. +10 attack, +1 for charging, -2 for concealment, is there any bonus for having low-light vision? If so, add that too. Total of +9.

Attack: (1d20+9)[24]
    Damage: (1d10)[9] + (1d6)[2] + 5

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

"No eating humans! Their fun!" Raitan points her finger towards the darkness and a line like danmaku forms and arcs towards Rumia.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike (1d20+3)[12] (normally it's 1d20+8 vs. reflex) If it hits, my dex mod damage is going just into my main attack, hitting a uh.. part of the water with the extra lightning for fun) (1d8+10)[15]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    All attacks hit except for Gonzaemon's first arrow and Raitan's Lightning Strike. Rumia takes a total of 53 damage. The yukkuri and Aisling are both in melee, on the side nearest the group; everyone else 4-6 squares away, with Kaoru closest to the lake.

An arrow whizzes through the darkness and out the other side, but the second of Gonzaemon's volley finds its mark, causing the darkness to lurch violently backwards. The yukkuri bounds fearlessly into the blackness, and you hear it squawk "Found it easy!"

When Kaoru's danmaku lands, you hear a scared and nervous yelp from inside. "Uwaaah... Not fair all attacking at once, I just woke up!"

Aisling's charge attack propels him into the darkness, and she connects solidly with her blade. Rumia says, "N-now I'm really mad!", but she's plainly nervous.

The lighting danmaku flies into the darkness before scattering, and you hear a nervous giggle. "Um, now it's my turn!"

Attack info
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+8)[23] vs. Fortitude on the Yukkuri and Aisling; damage (2d8+4)[16], and target is slowed (save ends).

Suddenly, a buffeting wave of danmaku that slightly resembles a pair of flapping wings is thrown up from the darkness. It appears to extend about 5 feet out from the darkness's edge as well. Both Aisling and the Yukkuri are hit; in addition, the danmaku seems to "stick" to them, limiting their movement. Rumia carefully moves, the epicenter of the darkness shifting with her, so that she is out of reach of Aisling's greatsword for the moment (but still next to the yukkuri, which is now interposed between the two); Aisling is once again visible by the moonlight.
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-07-26 at 12:14 AM.

--C. S. Lewis

24. - Top - End - #54

Gonza bites his lips. They're already past the point of no return now.

"I guess this can't end in a tea party even if we apologize now, can it?"

He then moves away to keep his distance from the darkness youkai, there's no chance a normal human like him would let himself chewed by a youkai, before launching another volley of arrows.

Spoiler
    Show
    Two fanged strike (1d20+9)[16] (1d20+9)[24] for (1d10+5)[9] and (1d10+5)[7] and if both hit gives extra 3 damage.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Orc in the Playground

Kana frowned. This felt like a really stupid reason to get into a fight. Still, shoot first, ask questions later. Moving forward towards her foe, she Channelled her power through her implement and brilliant energy lanced out around her as she tried to dispel the darkness, then following up with another ray of energy in an attempt to pierce her shell.

Move action: Move to 2 squares from Rumia
    Minor Action Attack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Channel Divinity: Solar Enemy (Divine Power Domain)
    Enemies within burst 2 gain/increase radiant vulnerability by 5. Rumia now has nett vulnerability Radiance 3.

Standard Action Attack:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lance of Faith
    Attack vs Ref: (1d20+9)[15]
    Dmg (Radiant): [roll]1d8+10[/roll]
    In case of Crit: extra dmg and someone may choose to spend a surge for surge+5 hp
    Last edited by Silver Coin; 2010-07-26 at 08:01 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

"That was totally intentional! I was uh... striking someone else... totally a fluke! Raitan points her staff again, forming the same danmaku beam towards Rumia.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightning Strike (1d20+3)[19] vs reflex, damage (1d8+10)[15] again, the side shot zapping some of the water.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2010-07-26 at 04:21 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oof!" Aisling reels a bit under the impact of the sticky danmaku.

"Have you tried pork?" she asks, skipping around to keep herself between Rumia and the others. " 'Cause if I don't get to eat people, I don't see why you should either!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard: Using pressing strike to shift around to stand between Rumia and the squishies. On a hit, she'll slide Rumia one square away and towards the lake.

Attack: (1d20+8)[25]
    Damage: (1d10+4)[11]

Save vs. slow: (1d20)[9]

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you know this one?"
    Kaoru shoots a swarm of small Danmaku and puts them into a pattern looking like a boat - a nice boat, one could even say. Then she sends them all flying into the cloud of darkness.

Spoiler
    Show
    Disturb, augment 2. Targetting a square that borders with Rumia and nobody else as before.

Attack: (1d20+10)[14] vs Will
    Damage: (2d6+8)[11] and -4 to Rumia's hit for 1 round if it hits

Also using a move action to stay 10 squares from my target square, if I didn't before.

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Rumia is hit by Gonzaemon's first arrow, Kaoru's disturbance (Dishearten? That's what I'm assuming), Aisling's charge attack, and Raitan's lightning danmaku. She takes an additional 44 damage, bringing her total to 97 damage.

The arrows streak through the darkness, and once again, one hits while the other flies through without effect.

Kaoru's attack slams into the darkness. You hear a now noticeably fearful voice; "This is getting scary! And I'm getting hungry!"

Kana steps up. Her blast of radiance doesn't entirely dispel the darkness, but it does dim it, so that the culprit youkai's true form can be seen...

...A little girl?

Kana fires a second energy ray. The girl ducks, dodging it, and the darkness shifts lower, following her actions. Yep, the girl is Rumia alright.

There's no time to ponder this, however, as Aisling rushes forward, her form blurring as danmaku whirls around her. She slams into Rumia, the sheer force of the blow sending the target momentarily reeling back. This time it's the yukkuri that's forced into sudden daylight; it seems to be rolling on the ground, frantically trying to remove the sticky darkness from the last attack.

Rumia's outstretched arms windmill a bit before she regains her balance. However, that moment of vulnerability is all Raitan needs to aim and fire a second blast of danmaku, which hits home perfectly.

Rumia shakes her head angrily. "F-fine then! You wanna play rough, I guess I'll have to use one of these!" She pulls a small card from her pocket; with a sound like a thunderstrike, the card melts seamlessly into the darkness, which intensifies and grows.

SPELLCARD: Darkness Sign "Demarcation"!

The darkness now extends three times as far from Rumia in all directions. In addition, it seems to have taken on a life of its own; those inside the sphere (which, for the moment, means Aisling, Kana and the yukkuri) notice solid blobs of shadow spinning disorientingly across the ground, and threatening to slam into the unwary.

Spoiler
    Show
    Everyone gets a Knowledge check. The darkness is now zone 3, and difficult terrain in addition to the heavy concealment.

Rumia's attack: (1d20+10)[22] vs. Aisling's AC (-4; I forgot to account for Dishearten); damage (1d10+4)[14] and target is dazed (save ends).

Move action: Rumia moves to be next to Kana, provoking an opportunity attack from Aisling.

Taking advantage of the disruption, Rumia leaps up, yells "Boo!" and sinks her teeth into Aisling's shoulder. Then she dashes, cackling, toward the person who dared to illuminate her true form- apparently failing to notice that Aisling's thick clothes absorbed the brunt of her bite, and that she's now leaving herself wide open to a painful counterattack...
    Last edited by Rolaran; 2010-07-27 at 06:48 PM.

--C. S. Lewis

30. - Top - End - #60

Ooh crap.

"Yukkuri! Rumia isn't taking it easy! Go tell her to take it easy!"

"Yuu!"

Gonzaemon then pulls another arrow and shoot it at the darkness while trying to keep his distance from the blob of darkness.

Spoiler
    Show

move action: move yukkuri to threaten rumia with ooc again
    standard action: fading strike [roll]1d20+9/roll]+1 from running attack for (1d10+5)[6] damage
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-07-28 at 12:57 AM.

Spoiler
    Show