New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dragonborn Head

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dragonborn Head

I decided to try to make myself an avatar again. The last one I made came out ok... This one's a Dragonborn Sorcerer.

The first one here looks too much like a Kobold:
    #1:

The second one here looks too much like a Pterodactyl:
    #2:

Any ideas on this? How is the avatar otherwise?

(My arms (mostly my hand) hurt now from all the precision work...)

EDIT:Others in the thread:
    #3:
    #5:
    #6:
    #7:
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-17 at 02:01 AM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: Dragonborn Head

Too much action going on to really get a good feel for either head.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Too much action going on to really get a good feel for either head.
    Is it too much to tell what's going on in general?
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Is it too much to tell what's going on in general?
    I don't find the flames that distracting. And I like the former better.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

See if you can fit gill-flap looking things on the back of the neck, or slip very small horns going backwards off the scalp. Like these:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

How's this? It's got the eyes and head size of the first, with the fin looking thing on the back of his head. The fin thing might be a bit too small to see... I'm liking it better than the previous two.

#3:
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-16 at 11:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

I gotta be honest, I had absolutely no idea what was going on in that avatar for a second. Doesn't mean it's bad, because that might have just been how it struck me particularly, but I do have a few recommendations:

1.) Size it up a bit.

2.) Give the creature a lighter skin tone. That way, one can see the eyes more clearly and detect where the head is, which instantly throws the picture into focus.

3.) Take out the superfluous staves. Just having a thin trail of flame will adequately demonstrate the movement of the sticks while leaving the image much more readable. This also means you can crop the avatar so that the twirler is larger and more distinct.

4.) Make the snout shorter.

EDIT: I'm too lazy to dig out InkScape, but here's a 2/1 photoshop mockup of what I'm talking about.

EDIT: Crap, sorry, you were just asking for feedback on the head. I mean, I was probably just looking at it wrong; if all you're messing with is the head, again, I recommend shortening the snout a little.
    Last edited by Rutskarn; 2010-07-16 at 10:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    <-I won this from Dr. Bath.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rutskarn View Post
    EDIT: Crap, sorry, you were just asking for feedback on the head. I mean, I was probably just looking at it wrong; if all you're messing with is the head, again, I recommend shortening the snout a little.
    Actually, feedback with the whole thing is helpful, thanks! I'll try out a few things of what you said...

I get this, after following your advice (still have the 120 pixel width limit, and removing the movement-staves didn't give me extra room to up-size):
    #5:

Here's a double size version if it helps scrutinize:

I also swapped belt and robe colors, since I made his face brighter.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-16 at 11:15 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

My avatar's a dragonborn, albeit a very buff and grotesque one. I think you need a bit more jaw in there. Otherwise, it's not a bad avatar.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Actually, the one you're using is perfect.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2010-07-16 at 11:11 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    Actually, the one you're using is perfect.
    My current avatar (#3)? Or the one I just made (#5)?

EDIT: I just tried shortening the flames on the staves.
    #6:

The attack on the right is now a small pellet of fire, rather than the long trailing flame it was before. I made the breath weapon look a bit better... The width still gave me all that vertical room. If I could've gotten it slimmer, I'd cut off the top of the breath weapon to make Incendius larger. Without the attack at all:

#7:
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-07-17 at 02:01 AM.