New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Bibliography II

1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default Re: Bibliography II

clearly Ben should buy it a bookmark, read it, then leave in on the shelf for a while, allowing it to gather dust for a few months. Then, when he's looking for somthing else he'll notice it and say "Hey, my Whitebox Weapon! I'd wondered where I'd put that!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

This is proving interesting.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #303
    Dwarf in the Playground

He could toss it and download a copy to his Kindle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    1 plat = 10 gold.
    1 gold = 10 silver
    1 silver = 10 cp
    1 cp = Federal Prison For Life.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    No, I want her to prove that humans can be useful without extra-ordinary powers.
    Except both Ben and Raoul proved this to be impossible. Ben could only draw the enemy into a trap that could weaken it, and Raoul almost died.

And who say she won't become mission control or a spy-like member of the team instead of a fighter?
    I never did, I was just pointing out that given events already shown and that this is based off of Shonen Manga tropes, being a semi-normal person relegates her to the sidelines pretty much by default. She'd be lucky to never be kidnapped or attacked throughout the entire run of the manga.

Quote Originally Posted by licoot View Post
    so your saying shes gonna be like Sakura from Naruto, even if she gains power, she will always be little behind Raoul and Ben
    No. I'm not. I am saying that if she doesn't get powers she will need to be protected from any enemies that Ben and Raoul make because she'll be helpless against pretty much any Page/Amateur Librarian.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know, I'm guessing that pages probably have some sort of weakness, so as to make sure they aren't invincible to humans.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #306
    Orc in the Playground

Or she'll become some kind of Page Hunter, learning their weaknesses, strengths, traits, spells, wearing a black coat, carrying some silver bullets, flamethrowers, flashlights, and all the stuff you can think of that would help in a fight against a specific Codex.
    I'm not an English native speaker. If you find any mistake, please PM me.

Spoiler
    Show

(Dream & Matthew by kpenguin)

(Sharlaq by Soterion)

Check our Worldbuilding Project and Worldbuilding Project's Language Thread.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zeful View Post
    Except both Ben and Raoul proved this to be impossible. Ben could only draw the enemy into a trap that could weaken it, and Raoul almost died.
    That is hardly the case. Both were unprepared (in Raoul's case not even being awakened at the start), and Ben lacked any actual equipment and had to make due with what was on hand (also he was only trying to stall for time, not kill the guy).

If someone really wanted to fight pages, they'd like have weapons (like guns or at least some knives or a taser) and other equipment specific to the weaknesses of the codices likely to be encountered.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2010-08-22 at 11:03 PM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    That is hardly the case. Both were unprepared (in Raoul's case not even being awakened at the start), and Ben lacked any actual equipment and had to make due with what was on hand (also he was only trying to stall for time, not kill the guy).
    While one could excuse Ben's situation as being an outlier. Raoul's was not. Page spells seem to be lethal to non-pages, and unstoppable. Had Raoul not become a page, he would have died. This is presented as reality within the universe. So awakened non-page, non-librarians would have to be a member of the "Altair School of Combat" and never get hit while fighting an enemy with ranged offense, instant defensive capabilities and stronger-than-human bodies. To provide an outside example, it would be like having a normal human fight a Stand user and expecting them to make a good showing. If they do, they are an outlier.

If someone really wanted to fight pages, they'd like have weapons (like guns or at least some knives or a taser) and other equipment specific to the weaknesses of the codices likely to be encountered.
    Or given that there's already an organization for doing exactly that, one could join them, which gives specialized equipment to fight Pages (or rather Abyssals which are stronger, faster and more vicious than Pages).

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

While one could excuse Ben's situation as being an outlier. Raoul's was not. Page spells seem to be lethal to non-pages, and unstoppable. Had Raoul not become a page, he would have died. This is presented as reality within the universe. So awakened non-page, non-librarians would have to be a member of the "Altair School of Combat" and never get hit while fighting an enemy with ranged offense, instant defensive capabilities and stronger-than-human bodies. To provide an outside example, it would be like having a normal human fight a Stand user and expecting them to make a good showing. If they do, they are an outlier.
    First, I'll note that not all page spells are more lethal to humans than pages. Also that Raoul couldn't even see the attack till after he was hit, making the accuracy of it dubious. It also was able to be stopped by amputation. And your argument there could also be used for any number of other things like guns or chemical/biological weapons, which would both work on pages, and are hardly unstoppable.

Also, you seem to be overstating the powers of pages. Just going in with a gun would likely make it a close to fair match at least against less experienced pages, and with training could likely get it to be a decent match against page.

Or given that there's already an organization for doing exactly that, one could join them, which gives specialized equipment to fight Pages (or rather Abyssals which are stronger, faster and more vicious than Pages).
    First, I think that you need to actually get a whitebox weapon to choose you. Also since you brought it up, I'll note that Librarians are just normal people with special tools (so would be affected like a normal person by pages abilities).

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

10. - Top - End - #310
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    First, I'll note that not all page spells are more lethal to humans than pages. Also that Raoul couldn't even see the attack till after he was hit, making the accuracy of it dubious. It also was able to be stopped by amputation. And your argument there could also be used for any number of other things like guns or chemical/biological weapons, which would both work on pages, and are hardly unstoppable.
    And? The supposition that "Raoul could dodge it if he saw it" doesn't undermine my point. That it was only able to be stopped by amputation doesn't undermine it either. The fact that spells that would incapacitate a page can kill a normal human requires the human to avoid getting hit by any attack, lest it kill him. Given that the one instance of such a spell requiring amputation to save the afflicted's life means that even one hit, anywhere, ends your ability to fight at any level approaching even.

Also, you seem to be overstating the powers of pages. Just going in with a gun would likely make it a close to fair match at least against less experienced pages, and with training could likely get it to be a decent match against page.
    Maybe, but I don't really think I'm overestimating the power of Pages. A Page has benefits over human's for just being pages, then they have spells that provide many other benefits. Further, hunting pages down with a gun is very, very noticeable compared to Pages, making it very easy for the page to win in any encounter. All they need to do is wait, the police will show up and take their side instantly.

First, I think that you need to actually get a whitebox weapon to choose you. Also since you brought it up, I'll note that Librarians are just normal people with special tools (so would be affected like a normal person by pages abilities).
    True, but most of them seem to provide some defensive abilities of their own. Making them far better weapons than a gun could ever hope to be.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

There is a reason that some people use shields. Also, I'd point out that they never said that amputation or becoming a page was the only way for the issue to be cured. It was just the only methods available to them at the time. Also the group hadn't exactly been equipped to take care of normal humans given it was made entirely of pages. It is quite possible that there is a simple method to cure the condition that they just failed to have on hand.

I'd also point out that pages don't inherently end up all better than people. They have an improved immune system, and are generally somewhat more durable, but things like enhanced strength, speed, etc. all depend entirely on the codex. Hence why it was mentioned that if you want speed you call a werewolf.

As for the gun issue, one could claim self defence (provided the gun is legal to carry). Also it doesn't mater if you kill the page before the police show up.

While whitebox weapons are likely better in general, that doesn't mean that other weapons can't also work as well when lacking one.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: Bibliography II

Quote Originally Posted by HypoSoc View Post
    Ask it for a story, or what it wishes to teach?
    Story! Story! Story!

Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see what happens to Satomi.

It's Elagune's story (Story!) and he may be trying to trick us, that sneaky bubjab!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I'm re-reading the webcomic again, and I've noticed a few things.

1: Art Evolution, much?

2: During the explanation of Aura in chapter 2, Eve's explanation is, and I quote, "When you do something with somebody, they leave an imprint on your Aura!" That leaves some... interesting implications.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #314
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Well, I'm re-reading the webcomic again, and I've noticed a few things.

1: Art Evolution, much?

2: During the explanation of Aura in chapter 2, Eve's explanation is, and I quote, "When you do something with somebody, they leave an imprint on your Aura!" That leaves some... interesting implications.
    I just started re-reading it as well, and I can't believe I actually missed why Ben's uncle gave him the cross, since he is awakened he could have known that Ben had been, first time I read it I got really confused about how it was so well timed, although I could have got it wrong again.
    IA Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

Awesome SpyFox Doll by Recaiden
    Epic Avvie by Domochevsky
    Everything Else by Me

15. - Top - End - #315
    Barbarian in the Playground

Page 20

Alright, another page done.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Bugbear in the Playground

Teehee. It's a diary.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

17. - Top - End - #317
    Colossus in the Playground

It's...Floating.

DON'T DO IT! IT'S A HORCRUX!!!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

*Gasp*
    What a Twist!
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Shiro View Post
    Teehee. It's a diary.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    It's...Floating.

I see what you did there.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeIncluded View Post
    It's...Floating.

Coffee, you never noticed all the other times the Bibliography's just floated there?

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

If this works the way I think it does, Ben should write "Today I gained unlimited cosmic power."

22. - Top - End - #322
    Firbolg in the Playground

Is ben blushing or something?
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    A Floating book that follows him around- when it's not physically attached to him- just asked him to spill his guts in writing. I'd blush, too.
    Last edited by John Cribati; 2010-08-23 at 09:59 PM.

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    A Floating boot that follows him around- when it's not physically attached to him- just asked him to spill his guts in writing. I'd blush, too.
    A floating Boot? That would actually make an interesting whitebox weapon. You can order it to kick your foes, or just grow giant and crush abyssals Monty-python style.
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    A floating Boot? That would actually make an interesting whitebox weapon. You can order it to kick your foes, or just grow giant and crush abyssals Monty-python style.
    *facepalm*

The worst part is that "K" is nowhere near "T"

Formerly known as "Herpestidae."
    Most of my posts are done by mobile. Expect typos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Things don't magically stop being fun when you reach a certain age.

26. - Top - End - #326

A Floating boot
    I though we already decided there was a Boot to the Head codex...

Nice mini-twist, though. A diary. I can understand why he's feeling a bit of trepidation. I have a tough time writing diaries myself.
    Last edited by Yorrin; 2010-08-23 at 10:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by memnarch View Post
    No, I think it's the shading. If you look at the edge of his face, it gets light.

OOH, I know! Ben uses it as a picture diary, and draws in the story of Bibliography! Then it turns out that Ben is Elagune!
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-23 at 10:30 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

A Floating book that follows him around- when it's not physically attached to him- just asked him to spill his guts in writing. I'd blush, too.
    I've tried writing in a journal. The main problem i have had with subsequent entries in each journal is that i can't find it. It's quite vexing.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #329

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    No, I think it's the shading. If you look at the edge of his face, it gets light.

OOH, I know! Ben uses it as a picture diary, and draws in the story of Bibliography! Then it turns out that Ben is Elagune!
    And this comic is a secret way of telling the world the truth! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Or, you know, it could be a way for Ben to gather, compile, and cross-reference data... kind of what the purpose of a Bibliography is.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fayd View Post
    And this comic is a secret way of telling the world the truth! MWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Or, you know, it could be a way for Ben to gather, compile, and cross-reference data... kind of what the purpose of a Bibliography is.
    That makes more sense than my idea.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show