New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Real Paladin Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    That sounds like a criminal charge right out of 1984.
    That it does!
    Marceline Abadeer by Gnomish Wanderer

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Will the Real Paladin Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

Quote Originally Posted by BladeofOblivion View Post
    That sounds like a criminal charge right out of 1984.
    But is that a bad thing?
    Last edited by DeafnotDumb; 2010-08-28 at 01:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Dwarf in the Playground

I have to admit, I like this so much that I have declared it the official paladin class for my games. The core paladin no longer exists, as far as I'm concerned.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    I have to admit, I like this so much that I have declared it the official paladin class for my games. The core paladin no longer exists, as far as I'm concerned.
    You'll find my own sentiment similar.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeafnotDumb View Post
    But is that a bad thing?
    No it's not. I just thought I'd point that out.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ettin in the Playground

It's not a bad thing. It's a hilarious thing.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Okay, NOW I get it. I was thinking the Pragmatic was some kind of ultimate neutral, but I see now it's less being completely balanced in terms of morality and more like free from alignment at all. In a way, you could say that when you become pragmatic, you erase the alignment from your character sheet for good. That clears up everything. Sorry for the confusion.
    I actually like this interpretation of pragmatism and of the alignment system in general, I think it fits really well.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Most people, I think, don't realize that it's okay to give martial classes serious buff-ups; a friend of mine looked at it and said there was too much stuff, and I'm sure some people agree with him - but really, Paladins and Fighters and Barbarians and *yadda yadda yadda, GET ON WITH IT!* do really needs these boosts to remain even useful for something besides taking damage for the Wizard past level ten in a long-running game.
    Et tu, Brute?

My home-brewed bootleg Homebrew

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

My subscription alert sent me soooomething. It looks... iiiinteresting.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

Vis Veris Vesica

It means "force blade" in latin. Ain't I cool?
    The Vis Veris Vesica desires power above all else- he worships it, far greater than any god, an ideal. Not necessarily power over people, and certainly not physical prowess, and not even magical power (though the latter comes very close) but simply doing things well under varying circumstances. All three of the former are simply steps on the road to this power.
    The Vis Veris Vesica is similar to a cleric worshiping an ideal, but rather deriving power from fealty, he derives his power from himself- after all, if one derives their power from an external source, they're not really all that powerful now are they?

Adventuring: Vis Veris Vesicas adventure to acquire power: not necessarily wealth, but knowledge, and experience.

Characteristics/Role: The Vis Veris Vesica has a whole toolbox of abilities at their disposal, suitable for whatever the problem. Need a spell? He has it. Need someone to swing around a greatsword? He can do that too. Sneaking around? Same. Sure, he'll never be as good at sneaking as a rogue, or bashing faces in as a barbarian, and certainly not as good at slinging spells as a wizard, but he doesn't want to be, simply because he doesn't need to be. Specialization is for insects.

Alignment: Vis Veris Vesica are always Neutral Evil. They don't really care about evil, or worship it... because that would take away from themselves. Evil doesn't care about evil, and so the Vis Veris Vesica is evil incarnate. He will do anything to get what he wants, to further his own goals.

Religion: Vis Veris Vesica worship the throne of Me.

Background: Generally, Vis Veris Vesica are loners. They rarely need anyone to back them up. Sometimes they have a freudian excuse for the path they follow- a traumatic instance of powerlessness- and some are simply less srupulous NTs.

Races: Humans, being the catchall race, are of course predisposed towards becoming Vis Veris Vesica. Of the other humanoids, Half-elves follow the path of power more than any else- they are already natural loners and outcasts. The shorter races- gnomes, halflings and dwarves- are generally too simple, too blunt or too nice to become Vis Veris Vesica, and Half-Orcs simply don't possess the acumen. Evil elves who leave the woods are rather common as Vis Veris Vesica, however, as are drow who leave their caverns.
    Of more exotic races, hobgoblins desiring a life greater than that of a raider are very common as Vis Veris Vesica, as are the grander, more ambitious kobolds. Fiends and aberrations of all sorts- especially yugoloth- are generally inclined towards this path, if they decide to pursue a career at all.

Other Classes: Vis Veris Vesica get along beautifully with sorcerers and wizards, as they all have the same hunger for power. They respect the sorcerer's raw energy, and the wizard's dedication and versatility- any who want to follow the path of power who lack the sense of self but possess the intellect will become wizards. Meanwhile, they get along well with nongood bards and factotum, all of whom have similar abilities, though from different sources and motivations. Druids, Rangers, and any clerics who do not follow powerhungry gods tend to despair of the Vis Veris Vesica's total absence of holiness, and they tend to be above the heads of sorts like fighters and barbarians.
    Paladins kill them on sight.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Invocations

1st|
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Aura of Evil, Invocations (Least)|1

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Skill- Not Luck, Arcane Channeling (1/day, 0th)|2

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Arcane Channeling (1/day, 1st)|2

4th|
    +4
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Special Ability, Arcane Channeling (2/day, 1st)|3

5th|
    +5
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |No Luck 1/day, Arcane Channeling (2/day, 2nd)|3

6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Invocations (Least or Lesser)|4

7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Special Ability, Arcane Channeling (3/day, 2nd)|4

8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Arcane Channeling (3/day, 3rd)|5

9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Divine Channeling, Arcane Channeling (4/day, 3rd)|5

10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |No Luck 2/day, Special Ability, Arcane Channeling (4/day, 4th)|6

11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Invocations (least, lesser, or greater)|7

12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |Arcane Channeling (5/day, 4th)|7

13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Special Ability, Arcane Channeling (5/day, 5th)|8

14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |Psionic Channeling|8

15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |No Luck 3/day, Arcane Channeling (5/day, 6th)|9

16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Special Ability, Invocations (least, lesser, greater, or dark)|10

17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +7
    |Arcane Channeling (6/day, 7th)|10

18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Only Skill, Arcane Channeling (7/day, 7th)|11

19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |
    +8
    |Special Ability, Arcane Channeling (7/day, 8th)|11

20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |
    +9
    |Ultimate Channeling, Arcane Channeling (8/day, 9th)|12[/table]
    Class Skills: All but iajutsu focus.

Skill Points Per Level: 4+int modifier.

Proficiencies: A Vis Veris Vesica is proficient in Light, Medium & Heavy armor, Light & Heavy shields, simple & martial weapons and one exotic weapon of its choice.

Invocations (Sp): A Vis Veris Vesica generally does not prepare or cast spells as other wielders of arcane or divine magic do. Instead, he possesses a repertoire of attacks, defenses, and abilities known as invocations: minor magical abilities, usable at will by sheer force of will.

A Vis Veris Vesica's invocations are spell-like abilities; using an invocation therefore a standard action that provokes attacks of opportunity. An invocation can be disrupted, just as a spell can be ruined during casting. She is entitled to a Concentration check to successfully use an invocation if he is hit by an attack while invoking, just as a spellcaster would be. A Vis Veris Vesica can choose to use an invocation defensively by making a successful Concentration check, to avoid provoking attacks of opportunity. A Vis Veris Vesica's invocations are subject to spell resistance unless an invocation's description specifically states otherwise. A Vis Veris Vesica's caster level with his invocation is equal to his Vis Veris Vesica level.

The save DC for an invocation (if it allows a save) is 10 + equivalent spell level + the Vis Veris Vesica's Charisma modifier. Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, the Vis Veris Vesica cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat. He can, however, benefit from the Ability Focus feat, as well as from feats that emulate metamagic effects for spell-like abilities, such as Quicken Spell-Like Abilities and Empower Spell-Like Ability.

The four grades of invocations, in order of their relative power, are least, lesser, greater, and dark. The Vis Veris Vesica begins with knowledge of one invocation, which must be of the lowest grade (least). As a Vis Veris Vesica gains levels, he learns new invocations, as summarized on the class progression table and described below. The Vis Veris Vesica may choose from any warlock invocation but blast shape invocations. Eldritch Essence invocations apply to melee attacks as opposed to eldritch blast attacks.

Vis Veris Vesica can qualify for some prestige classes usually intended for spellcasters, provided that the prestige class in question requires a caster level requirement, as opposed to a specific level of spells capable of being cast by the character.

Aura of Evil: The Vis Veris Vesica's aura of evil (see the detect evil spell) is equal to her Vis Veris Vesica level. The aura of evil and depravity is so palpable she gains a bonus to intimidate checks equal to 1/2 class levels.

Skill- Not Luck: The Vis Veris Vesica believes that, so long as one is powerful, one should prevail, no matter the luck involved. This belief is so powerful that it alters reality with respect to the Vis Veris Vesica: the Vis Veris Vesica, when rolling attack rolls and saving throws, does not automatically fail on a natural one, but does not automatically succeed on a natural 20. Likewise, enemies attacking the Vis Veris Vesica or making a saving throw against one of her spells do not automatically succeed or fail on a natural one or twenty, respectively.

Arcane Channeling: The Vis Veris Vesica can also apply his power in different ways by willing the world around her, but applying his power this way is taxing: a number of times per day as shown in the table above, the Vis Veris Vesica may cast any spell from the Sorcerer/Wizard list of a level no greater than the level indicated in the table, as an SLA. When casting spells with xp components, the Vis Veris Vesica still pays half the normal xp cost. Additionally, the Vis Veris Vesica can only cast his highest spell level once per day. Save DCs are 10 + equivalent spell level + the Vis Veris Vesica's Charisma modifier.

Special Ability: At 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter, the Vis Veris Vesica gains a special ability chosen from the pool below.

No Luck: At 5th level, once per day the Vis Veris Vesica may choose to take 10 on an attack roll, saving throw or any other d20 check. He may use this ability an additional time per day for every 5 levels he has.

Divine Channeling: At 9th level, the Vis Veris Vesica can also choose from the Cleric spell list with his Arcane Channeling ability.

Psionic Channeling: At 14th level, the Vis Veris Vesica can also choose any psionic power for his Arcane Channeling ability. It may be augmented with a number of power points equal to the Vis Veris Vesica's class level.

Ultimate Channeling: At 20th level, the Vis Veris Vesica may choose from any spell list when using her Arcane Channeling ability.

Only Skill: At 18th level, the Vis Veris Vesica may use No Luck an unlimited number of times per day.

Special Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Less Luck, More Skill: The Vis Veris Vesica may choose to use 3d6 instead of a d20 whenever he would normally roll a d20. Threat ranges are increased by 3 steps using this method (so 20/x2 becomes 17-20/x2, 19-20/x2 becomes 16-20/x2, etc.)

Channeled Metamagic: The Vis Veris Vesica may choose any metamagic feat with an adjustment of +0 to +1. When using his Arcane Channeling ability, he may choose to apply this metamagic feat to the spells he casts; however, the spell is adjusted by the metamagic as normal, so a 9th level Vis Veris Vesica casting an empowered magic missile would use up his only 3rd level spell for the day. He could not cast an empowered scorching ray, however, as he cannot cast spells above 3rd level.
    This special ability may be taken multiple times; the second time it is taken, the Vis Veris Vesica may choose any metamagic feat with an adjustment from +0 to +2, the third time he may choose any with an adjustment from +0 to +3, and the fourth and all subsequent he may choose any with an adjustment from +0 to +4.
    Metamagic feats apply to both arcane, divine and psionic spells all as normal.

Subjugate the Weak: Good creatures take -2 penalty to saves against the Vis Veris Vesica's spells, and he gains his charisma bonus as a bonus to attacks against good creatures.

Extra Invocation: The Vis Veris Vesica gains an additional invocation, added to his spell list.

Embrace the Darkness: The Vis Veris Vesica adds all the spells from the evil, death or destruction domain of a level no greater than 1/2 her class levels as SLAs to her invocations known. As she gains levels, she adds the spells she qualifies for. This special ability may be taken more than once; each time it is taken, he may add another domain to this list.

I am Invincible!: Whenever she rolls below 10 on a save, the Vis Veris Vesica adds her charisma bonus to the saving throw modifier.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-09-03 at 05:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Yep, that's pretty epic. XD
    Do SLAs require XP components?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Yep, that's pretty epic. XD
    Do SLAs require XP components?
    Yes. Yes it is. Though I forgot to tag on my epic pic-sure.
    And yes, yes they do. I'll edit that in.

A note to all concerned: I've reformatted the first page a bit with pertinent links, as well as a teaser for my next class.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

Ooh, a Chaos Sorcerer! XD
    Is that fantasy or 40k... hmm...

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Ooh, a Chaos Sorcerer! XD
    Is that fantasy or 40k... hmm...
    40k. You can tell by the little backpacky thingie.
    Anyways... Comments, folks? Critique? I love/hate you's?

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dwarf in the Playground

Why are all the saves bad? Wouldn't this warrant average saves?
    Et tu, Brute?

I tried to be reasonable and nice; but everybody wouldn't quit trying to turn every spellcaster into a Tier 1.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DrWeird View Post
    Why are all the saves bad? Wouldn't this warrant average saves?
    No... I like the idea of the character being powerful- really powerful- but 'cursed'. All bad saves.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Real Holy Warrior Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

It's your funeral, dropped-by-a-dominate-person/failure to dodge a fireball/fail to resist a disease

No, but it looks pretty good; it reminded me of a PrC *I* had planned to make - is there a spellcaster that uses psionic, divine & arcane together yet?
    Et tu, Brute?

18. - Top - End - #168
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Will the Real Holy Warrior Please Stand Up? [Class fix+1 PrC, 3.5, PEACH]

It kinda detracts from his "power" if he can be killed by a Phantasmal Killer at level 15.

Maths:
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming a 7th level wizard with 18 int and a +4 boost from magic. (DC isn't even pumped up)
    DC: 10 + 4 (spell level) 6 (ability) + 2 (feats) = 22

Assuming Vis has 14 Wis (not a major ability, still pretty generous)
    Will Save: 5 (base) + 2 (ability) + 5 (Item)

Chance of death = 50%

So imagine what would happen if he got SoD'd by a CR 15 creature. Maybe give them bonus feats in the special abilities so they can get Iron Will and such? That might help a little.
    Last edited by Krazddndfreek; 2010-08-31 at 09:09 PM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    It kinda detracts from his "power" if he can be killed by a Phantasmal Killer at level 15.

Maths:
    Spoiler
    Show

Assuming a 7th level wizard with 18 int and a +4 boost from magic. (DC isn't even pumped up)
    DC: 10 + 4 (spell level) 6 (ability) + 2 (feats) = 22

Assuming Vis has 14 Wis (not a major ability, still pretty generous)
    Will Save: 5 (base) + 2 (ability) + 5 (Item)

Chance of death = 50%

So imagine what would happen if he got SoD'd by a CR 15 creature. Maybe give them bonus feats in the special abilities so they can get Iron Will and such? That might help a little.
    Well, first of all, the same problem is inherent in the fighter, or the rogue, or any other low will save class. Second of all, half the special abilities will revolve around shoring up the crappy saves.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWeird View Post
    It's your funeral, dropped-by-a-dominate-person/failure to dodge a fireball/fail to resist a disease

No, but it looks pretty good; it reminded me of a PrC *I* had planned to make - is there a spellcaster that uses psionic, divine & arcane together yet?
    There's a few homebrew PrCs and even base classes knocking around out there, yes.
    And the idea isn't that he excels in all 3 arenas, it's that he's always prepared. Always. He's the opposite of a wizard like that: if the wizard prepares the right spells at the beginning of a day, she's unbeatable. Well, if the Vis Veris Vesica just casts the right spells at the right time, he's also unbeatable.

I'm considering giving average saves. Considering. Just what are the numbers for those, anyways?
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-31 at 09:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170

Yeah, I guess it works out, especially since they have nearly every power and spell available to them. Actually, I'm starting to think that might be a bit OP. Like tier 2 area.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Firbolg in the Playground

I have to say that I'm...underwhelmed, actually. Solid class, of course, just kinda boring. Scratch that, really boring. I don't mind the saves (though I think they deserve a good Fort), but as of right now, it gets a giant shrug.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Krazddndfreek View Post
    Yeah, I guess it works out, especially since they have nearly every power and spell available to them. Actually, I'm starting to think that might be a bit OP. Like tier 2 area.
    Tier 2 works.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I have to say that I'm...underwhelmed, actually. Solid class, of course, just kinda boring. Scratch that, really boring. I don't mind the saves (though I think they deserve a good Fort), but as of right now, it gets a giant shrug.
    Special abilities should help shore that up. It's not fun in concept, but I played something similar to it once, and it was a blast. Really, really, really fun, so I knew I had to make it my own.
    Oh, but I'm working on the Anarch, and I can promise you you'll like that.
    Last edited by Gorgondantess; 2010-08-31 at 09:18 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173

Hopefully the special abilities will spice things up when he gets to them

24. - Top - End - #174

Honestly, right now it reads, "Hi, I'm a caster with full B.A.B. and an arbitrary alignment restriction. Play me please. I'm lonely."

I do hope the special abilities spice it up some.

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ettin in the Playground

Honestly, right now it reads, "Hi, I'm a caster with full B.A.B. and an arbitrary alignment restriction. Play me please. I'm lonely."

I do hope the special abilities spice it up some.
    Are you kidding? First of all, the casting mechanism is entirely unique: have you ever seen a caster like that? No? Yeah, pretty much.
    And then there's the invocations, and channeling eldritch essences through melee attacks.
    I will add more, don't doubt it. What you're seeing right now is the steak dinner: one large, juicy hunk of prime meat, slapped on a plate. It ain't pretty, but it'll taste good. Now just wait 'till I throw the garnish on, will you?
    (God I love cheesy metaphors.)

26. - Top - End - #176

That's not the problem, and from a mechanical standpoint, I can appreciate how they "spellcast". The problem is that the melee aspect is utterly extraneous. Unless their Invocs are designed to enhance that part of themselves, their actions will always be better served by Invoking or spellcasting rather than, y'know, fighting.

My extended homebrew sig

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

That's not the problem, and from a mechanical standpoint, I can appreciate how they "spellcast". The problem is that the melee aspect is utterly extraneous. Unless their Invocs are designed to enhance that part of themselves, their actions will always be better served by Invoking or spellcasting rather than, y'know, fighting.
    Well, first of all, eldritch essence invocations apply to melee attacks. Second, many invocations have 24 hour durations. Third, if they spend all their time spellcasting they're going to be screwed when the next combat comes around, due to the severely limited uses per day.
    And half the reason I haven't posted special abilities was that I'm still considering what'll make it a more effective melee fighter in that realm.
    In the end, though, it's not primarily a fighter; it's primarily a pseudo-caster that can also be good at fighting.

28. - Top - End - #178

Eldritch essence only applies if they're using Hideous Blow (in and of itself an eldritch essence) or they have a class feature that states such. So you know (trying to help here).

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    Eldritch Essence invocations apply to melee attacks as opposed to eldritch blast attacks.
    I know, I know, nobody reads the stuff under 'invocations', but melee becomes a viable option when you can potentially lay down 8 negative levels in one round.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Dwarf in the Playground

Average is the long-forgotten +10 save.

I'm just kidding, guy; there's no such thing. You could make it, though.
    Last edited by DrWeird; 2010-09-01 at 01:11 AM.
    Et tu, Brute?