New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Mobile Guard Section One (IC)

"Well, at very least they aren't violent. Not yet at least...Have you captured the kids? If not, then we need to find them ASAP, or they might start releasing more animals."

"Brennan...you're the smart fellow here. Any idea how we should deal with these things?"
    Brennan thought for a moment. "Hrm, well, I can't say that animal life is an expertise of mine, but I do think I remember reading something about them back in the academy..."

Spoiler
    Show

Rolling relevant Knowledge
    (1d20)[10] +7 (Or 17 if Fri thinks Arcane Lore is appropriate, Eidetic memory makes all knowledge doable untrained, and adds another +4 if this counts as "Remembering.")
    Last edited by Sornas; 2010-08-02 at 06:48 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Sornas by Lord Iames Osari, Thanks! ^_^

Spoiler
    Show
    My mind is a swirling miasma of scintillating thoughts and turgid ideas.
    Luke, I Am Your Tedious, Overused Plot Device!

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    "Miss Marie, you'd best wait here a tick where it's safe. It just wouldn't do for any nasty old beastie to make a snack out of a lady such as yourself.
    "Indeed. Keep the Vox handy, in case we have any further questions for Mr Burnam or his staff."

"If we can shoo them back into their pen, that would surely make this gentleman more happy than if I have to fill them full of bolts.
    "I was hoping we could find their lunch, throw it into their cage, wait for them to walk in, and then shut the door behind them."

"Jirai, shall we go in and take a look? Might be we could scout around a tad and see what sort of terrain there is to take advantage of.
    Jirai grabs the map and prepares to head out.

Spoiler
    Show

Assuming there is a map of course. Also, would still like to know location of wyvern feed.

Just before they enter the zoo proper, he turns to Deacon and says. "I'll go on ahead first, to make sure the coast is clear, before I call for you to follow."

Spoiler
    Show

Jirai will use Hide in Plain Sight and Stealth Skill Mastery to take 10 for a total of 19.

Use wall climbing to climb on top of buildings/trees, and grappling hook to swing from tree to tree (or rooftop to rooftop).

Then take 10 to notice for 17, and if there are no Wyverns in sight, call for Deacon to follow.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Deacon sighs and slips his eyepatch off his head, stowing it in his pocket. When Jirai signals all-clear on the vox, Deacon will follow, keeping low and moving slow.

Spoiler
    Show
    Take 10 on a Stealth check for (10 + 8) 18.
    Activate Golden Gaze; now seeing through solid objects, obscurement, illusions, and concealment with 10x normal range. Danger Sense.
    Take 10 on a Notice check for (10 + 13) 23.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-08-02 at 10:07 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jirai
    Spoiler
    Show
    even without your keen ninja sense it's clear that mr Barnum is lying

Deacon
    Spoiler
    Show
    you can see a lot of animals and two wyverns enjoying the sunlight at the middle clearing. You can vaguely see some damaged things.

Brennan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Wyverns to Dragons are what Apes to Human are. They're smaller, weaker, and can't breathe fire, but they're still dangerous for their wicked talon and their macelike tail.

You can remember something about how poachers can catch them. It's involving catching them off guards while they're sleeping at night and quickly incapacitate them before they can fly away.

Mr. Barnum looks at everyone anxiously. "Don't hurt them. They're my main attractions."

"Sorry to take so long!" The previous worker came back running with a couple of cheap papers on his hand.

"These aren't exactly good maps though. Nor they're in scale... But I can say that our zoo is about 60-70 meters across."

What the worker brought are some promotional map of the zoo. Completely stylized, full of cartoonish drawings, and you think somewhat half useless.

Spoiler
    Show
    the simplified map of course.

"The wyverns are here..." he conveniently draw a picture of something winged. At least you think it's a wing. "And these areas are supposed to be off limit from visitors. I think the kids climbed the northeast wall.

Our supplies are somewhere in the warehouse."

Mr Barnum cuts it.

"Do you think you really need to go to the warehouse though?"

Marie vox everyone again. "Okay, first priority is to stop the wyverns from getting outside the zoo."

Marie then continues. "Mr. Barnum. What about the kids and your injured workers?"

"Why should I ca... I mean, How should I know about the kids? We managed to pull the workers out though. Talented staffs are hard to get."

"Okay, change the priority. First priority is to find the kids." Marie glares angrily toward Mr. Barnum.

Jirai and Brennan can see two wyverns lazily bathing themselves in sunlight. They leathery lizards are big, at least four meters long and two meters wide, not counting their wicked looking tail. Their big wings are currently folded. None of them notice you... yet.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-03 at 03:38 AM.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

Jirai looks around for any signs of the kids.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 10 to notice for 17.

"Well, it looks like they're still lounging." Jirai whispers into his Vox. "Deacon, you stay here and keep an eye on them, and let us if their movements change. I'll sneak around to the warehouse to see if I can find any wyvern chow."

Spoiler
    Show

Jirai will exit the zoo back the same way he came, circle around outside on the right side, and then climb over the wall again to try and enter the warehouse on the door at the far right side. Take 10 to stealth for 19.

Breaking and Entering: Take 10 to Disable Device for 23. If that is insufficient, use quickness to Take 20 for 33, but requiring 4x as long.

Finding Wyvern Chow: Take 10 to search for 21. If that is insufficient, use quickness to Take 20 for 31, but requiring 4x as long.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2010-08-03 at 03:28 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!

6. - Top - End - #126

Jirai manages to enter the warehouse. The warehouse is a high ceilinged wooden building with multiple rooms, as you can see a wall and another door in front of you. You can't see any wyvern chow nor the kids in the current room.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-03 at 03:30 AM.
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

n the vox:

"Rhea, let us know once you're about five minutes out from our location. We'll loop back and meet up with you."
    "Aye, Aye, bro," answers Ta'Lab

Spoiler
    Show
    Fri: this is really for your to tell us. I have no idea how long it'll take for the cart to arrive, and Ta'Lab isn't about to leave the other Paladin unguarded.
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-08-03 at 03:38 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm in the warehouse. There doesn't seem to be chow in this room." Jirai reports into his Vox. "I'll try the next one."

Spoiler
    Show

Are the walls are full ceiling? Sometime the walls only cover the ground like in cubicles. If they are not full ceiling, Jirai can try and enter by climbing across the ceiling. Otherwise he will have to try the door.

If the door has any keyhole or similiar, he will peek to see if there is anything on the other.

If it is locked, Take 10 to Disable Device for 23. If that is insufficient, use quickness to Take 20 for 33, but requiring 4x as long.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeminiZero View Post
    "I'm in the warehouse. There doesn't seem to be chow in this room." Jirai reports into his Vox. "I'll try the next one."
    Bored in his slowly advancing ARM, Ta'Lab calls back, "Jirai, you may want to do an in-deth search. Something ain't right about how th'owner didn't want no-one from pokin' 'round no warehouse. From what I hear, we ain't in such a hurry we can forget we're policemen."

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, not sure if Ta'Lab actually heard the owner being reluctant about the warehouse, but since Ta'Lab right now has nothing to do, he would have been asking "what's going on" behind the scenes - he'd know at least about the actual crisis, and I would imagine also about the details. Or more easily, he's asked one of the voxes to stay open so he can hear
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

"Maybe later, like, once the Wyverns are busy eating."
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131

The walls aren't full ceiling. You can see beams of wood supporting the roof above you continuing to other rooms.

The door isn't locked. But when you peek, for some reason you can't see anything. There's something big in your limited keyhole-peeking point of view, and you can't see anything past it.

When you climb over the wall... You can see the kids and the wyvern chows allright.

But you can also see another wyvern chewing on the wyvern chow. In fact, that's how you know that those things are wyvern chows.

The kids are currently cowering on the opposite side of the room.

Beside those, you see a broken cage inside the room. And outside, you can see what you think as the wyverns' cage. How can you see them? It's because there's a giant hole on the wall.

Meanwhile, Ta'lab can already see the zoo.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-03 at 04:16 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    Meanwhile, Ta'lab can already see the zoo.
    "Head's up, people," says Ta'Lab over the vox, "I can see ya', and ya' can see me now. Deacon, your pimped-up ride is arrivin'"

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

Jirai takes in the situation, before lowering himself back down the wall on the side that didn't have a wyvern. He whispers into his Vox. "3rd Wyvern spotted in warehouse, it managed to sniff out the chow, break through the south wall and is now eating it. Kids also spotted, paralyzed with fear, cowering in the same room, although I reckon they should be quite safe, so long as the Wyvern doesn't run out of chow. Do the Paladins have a plan of engagement?"
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2010-08-03 at 04:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #134

"Third Wyvern? Mr. Burnam, maybe you should explain this..."

Mr Burnam falls down from the weight of Marie's gaze and blabbers.

"You... you see? We got the permit for two wyverns. But the hunters caught a nest of THREE! What should I do with the last one that I got as a bonus? I can't just let the Wyvern runt free. It'll die in the wild or something. So I figured that maybe I can keep the runt for a while in the warehouse, before I could get a buyer or something..."

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Damn, captured wild Wyverns. Jirai quietly thought to himself as he overheard Burnam blabber through the Vox. If the wyvern was raised domesticated, it would be more likely to ignore strange men walking around it, and carrying cowering children away.

Jirai quickly evaluated his remaining possible courses of actions. With the Paladins already arriving, distracting the two outside with Wyvern Chow was no longer important. Which meant that the children were now his highest priority. He could either try to extract them quietly. Or he could draw the Wyvern's attention to himself and lead it away, but there was the huge risk that its cries would attract the other 2 lounging outside.

Deciding that a quiet extraction was probably a better choice, Jirai proceeded to try and get the children out of the room.

Spoiler
    Show

Jirai's Plan:
    1. Crawl along the ceiling to the next next room behind the children. (Take 10 to stealth for 19)
    2. Once there, find the corner along the wall, where the children are on the direct other side of the wall. E.g.

Code:
    --+--------+--
      |       C|<-this corner
      |        |
      |   WW   |
      |   WW   |
      |        |
      |        |
    --+--------+--
    3. Climb straight over the wall, and quietly carry children back over the wall into the next room. Probably one at a time, depending on their weight.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #136
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brennan shook his head. "Honestly, I can't say I know of any special weaknesses. Typically, they're poached by just jumping them at night, but I don't think we really have that luxury right now..." He looked up at the position of the sun through a window.

"Hmm, unless..." He turned to Burnam, "Hey, you must have some sort of sleeping poison in that warehouse, right? To transport the animals? If Jirai can find where that is, and sneak it into their food..." He arched an eyebrow, "Also, it may be better to come clean about anything else to us now, if those kids get chomped by this illegal Wyvern, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be on your head."

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

"Right. Three wyverns. Two ARMs. No weaknesses. Right.

"Jirai, your two pals outside seem to be enjoying the sun. Are you alright alone for a couple minutes if I pull back and bring in your cavalry? And hey, can you see if the wyvern's exterior cage is intact? I want to see if we have any options for containing these things.

"Brennan, would you please apply some police brutality to Mr. Burnam until he reveals to us anything else he's witholding?"
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-08-03 at 10:11 AM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Jirai, your two pals outside seem to be enjoying the sun. Are you alright alone for a couple minutes if I pull back and bring in your cavalry?
    "Alright then. Sambre or Brennan, I need one of you to peek over the wall and keep an eye on the Wyverns out front."

And hey, can you see if the wyvern's exterior cage is intact? I want to see if we have any options for containing these things.
    "I can see a cage through the hole in the wall, but I'm not sure if its the Wyverns. Unable to confirm from my vantage point."
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2010-08-03 at 10:33 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Deacon crawls backwards slowly until he's out of the wyvern's line of sight, then rises to a crouch and hustles back to the zoo entrance, taking care to remain quiet. Once he's out of the zoo area, he breaks into a run, heading for the police cart and the cavalry.

"Ah! Aces and Eights! There you are, baby -- you're looking good! Nice job on the trim, Brennan. She looks ready for a stroll."

20. - Top - End - #140

The ARM team faces a host of would-be visitors in front of the zoo. It seems that nobody told the unexperienced worker to disperse them.

"And then they said, 'what do you mean it's not fish!' ahahaha"

For some reason he's doing a solo stand up comedy in the front of the zoo.

Mr. Barnum answers Brennan's query about the sleeping aid. "Well.. you know, we didn't really think that we'd need them that much. But we do prepare them at the end! The problem is... that's what my jumped worker was bringing. He was bringing our supply of alchemical tranquilizer when he was getting jumped by the wyverns. We don't really have the time to extract the tranquilizers as well, I guess they're still in there somewhere."

Jirai's cold ninja hand touches one of the kid without warning. What else would a cowering kid with a chewing wyvern in front of him do? He yelps.

The wyvern stops chewing and turns its head toward the source of the noise with a curious look on its face.
    Last edited by Fri; 2010-08-04 at 09:58 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

Jirai frowns as the panicky kid yelps loudly. He signals to the children to be silent with a finger across his lips. "Shh... I'm going to get you out of here." He then turns to the Wyvern, unsurprised to see the beast was now looking at his direction.

Jirai doesn't smile- wild animals usually regarded the display of teeth as a sign of aggression. Instead he gestures at the children, and then to himself, to indicate he was simply going to take them away... and wasn't after its chow by any means.

Spoiler
    Show

Making an untrained Handle Animal check here to convince the Wyvern to go back to eating.

Handle Animal: (1d20-1)[1]
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Troll in the Playground

And people wonder why I don't like to make dice rolls. Right then, looks like its time to use that precious Hero Point.

Rerolling Handle Animal: (1d20-1)[5]

Edit: Since its below 10, add 10 for a total of 15.
    Last edited by JeminiZero; 2010-08-04 at 10:41 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143

Well, at least the wyvern doesn't attack any of you. Yet.

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

"Good to see you, Ta'Labrador! We've got a great situation going on in there. You're gonna love it. Let's see if the whiz kid can come up with a plan for us, otherwise we're gonna have a tough fight of it."

Deacon scampers up onto the police wagon, sniffs in disdain at the heavy ballista strapped to his Paladin, then cracks open the cockpit and hops inside. Running the usual quick-start checks (he always seems to be starting the Paladin in a hurry), he gears up.

Aces and Eights lurches upright and bounds down from the police wagon, then turns to face the crowd. Deacon clears his throat and thumbs the loudspeaker.

"Attention, attention. The Mobile Guard Unit is responding to an emergency situation in the zoo. This area is not safe for civilians. I repeat: This area is not safe. You are all in immediate peril for your lives. Go home. Now. Scram. If I have to pack you people in body bags today, I will be VERY annoyed."

The paladin makes a shooing gesture towards the assembled crowd.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-08-04 at 04:22 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

"Good to see you, Ta'Labrador! We've got a great situation going on in there. You're gonna love it. Let's see if the whiz kid can come up with a plan for us, otherwise we're gonna have a tough fight of it."
    Ta'Lab spends a moment to take in the situation, looking over the walls into the mess inside the zoo, while Deacon tries to shoo away the gawkers. "I see ya've not improved none in handlin' people, bro," he casually mentions over the Vox, "'sides, this'll be free entertainment, don'tcha know? Best we can hope for is the mob'll stay outside. Anyway, last I heard we had a man inside. Is the plan to feed the wormlin's members of the unit until they need a nap? I mean, sounds like it might work, but might get a tad expensive, if you know what I mean."
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2010-08-04 at 05:03 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, if they eat Jirai, that will save us money by cutting our payroll, but after he left me a {get back to your fun, citizen} in his room, I guess I sorta owe him a favor. You're probably right about the people though. You'd think they'd be smarter. Some idiots just don't have a sense of self-preservation, I guess.

So...shall we go wrestle with some wyverns?"

Aces and Eights crouches low and skulks towards the zoo entrance, looking dramatically less coordinated and stealthy than Deacon did on his way out. Deacon squints and looks through the intervening walls and buildings, attempting to confirm that the two larger wyverns haven't moved.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll have a go at a d20 roll to see if I get lucky on Stealth.(1d20+3)[9]
    Still taking 10 on Perception for a 23.

For Grey Wolf
    Spoiler
    Show
    I see you're appreciating Deacon's 8 Charisma!
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-08-04 at 06:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Dwarf in the Playground

Brennan nodded, "Alright then, we need to get our hands on those reagents, either Jirai or Lt. Arthur. If they aren't in a usable form, I should be able to get them workable in short order."

He flipped on the Vox, "Deacon, Ta'Lab. Get into position, but try not to engage the Wyverns if at all possible. If we can get Jirai or Arthur to drug their food, or maybe the water in the fountain, we can handle this relatively easily, but I have my doubts that they're going to sit still that long, so you may see some action yet." Obviously, the citizens come before the Wyverns. "

He looked over the map and made a slightly irked face at it's simplicity. "We need at least one person to stay between them and the gate, to prevent them trying to escape right over the crowd. Remember, if you have to engage them, watch out for their tails. Their wings are clipped, so you don't have to worry about aerial attacks, but their claws are still nasty. They seem to be relatively calm however, so they shouldn't be too difficult to sneak around for the people on foot." ((Setting up Master Plan))

He turned to Barnum again. "Do we have easy roof access from here? I need to get a view of the field."

Spoiler
    Show

Int Check for Master Plan: (1d20+7)[27]

Edit- Nice, natural twenty (I must have stolen all of Jemini's dice luck XD) That's a +3 to all rolls for 3 turns as soon as I decide to activate it, then +2 the next turn, then +1 the next.
    Last edited by Sornas; 2010-08-04 at 07:58 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the Wyvern pause, he decides to get the children out quickly. "Alright, grab me and hold on tight, we're going to try and move to the next room, where the is no hungry Wyvern... yet" Jirai says as he reaches out to the children.

Spoiler
    Show

Sticking with original plan to carry them over the wall. Hopefully, not approaching the Wyvern in anyway, should keep it from attacking.

Can Jirai carry both at once or one at a time?
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

Deacon moves into position as requested. Until Brennan or Arthur gets onto the roof to spot for the team, he'll use his deep vision to maintain sight of all targets of interest and report their locations through the VOX.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Ta'Lab follows Deacon into position.

Spoiler
    Show
    So we have a master plan... what does that mean, again?