New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Do we have any other comments or ideas regarding HP d20?

2. - Top - End - #692
    Pixie in the Playground

Salutations.

I've been thinking about the class system.

Currently the class system lacks flavour. There's not enough room for customization. But with the Harry Potter setting, multiple classes doesn't really seem like a viable option. Also, having everyone with the same good saves is kind of silly because it gives all the fort-save-spells the advantage that they're harder to resist.

So here's my suggestion. What if there was a sort of class customization system? The class features would all stay the same, but you'd get to choose your combination of good saves, skill points/level, HD, DB, and BAB

I can think of two ways to go about this.

Option one is a point buy system
    This option needs to be analysed, as I'm not sure about how balanced it would be. It may need some tweaking.

Everyone starts off* with d4 HD, bad BAB, one good save, 2 Skill Points/Level, and bad DB. You get a certain number of points that you can spend to increase these statistics. Each point increases a statistic by one interval. For example, say the amount of points is 7.
    I could spend one point on BAB, making my BAB progression average,
    two points on HD, making my HD d8,
    three points on skill points, changing my skill points/level to 6,
    one point on saves, giving me two good saves,
    and nothing on DB, keeping my DB progression at bad.

Option two is a choice between mini-classes with predetermined values.

Again, the class features would stay the same, just the values we've been talking about would be different.

For this an option would be to use the values for the Strong Hero, Fast Hero, and Tough Hero from D20 modern with the following changes
    give strong hero Will save instead of Fort
    add one to skill points/level (so strong and tough would have 4 and fast would have 6)
    Maybe reduce each HD by one die? (so strong and fast would have d6 and tough would have d8)
    Maybe add a fourth mini-class with the same hd as strong/fast, average bab, average DB and 8 skill points/level

*starts off as in starts off character creation, not starts off play.

3. - Top - End - #693

RedWizardGuy

Personally, I've been trying to stay away from d20 Modern and this is very reminiscent of that and other things. I think the base class contains enough flavor as you can specialize and choose to learn what spells you learn which makes each person unique. That and doing it by the point buy or the mini classes system could make things confusing for both the players and the DM in my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #694

RedWizardGuy

Do we have any comments or suggestions. Especially from the people who've played the game.

5. - Top - End - #695

RedWizardGuy

So I'm back once more asking for more people's comments. The site has undergone some more editing details and has a couple of new spells as you may notice.

6. - Top - End - #696

RedWizardGuy

Any other comments to be had? Pottermore has been released so that is keeping me busy and it has given me some new ideas.

7. - Top - End - #697
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Here's the spells I talked about. Criticism is welcomed.

Anti-Apparition Charm- DC 25

The Anti-Apparition Charm encompasses an area which prevents anyone from using Apparition into or out of the given area. For each casting, there is 10 foot square block that is warded from Apparition. This block is centered on the caster at the time of casting. Each casting lasts for 12 hours.

Curses and Counter Curses

Anti-Apparition Jinx- DC 25
    Like the Anti-Apparition Charm, the Anti-Apparition Jinx prevents Apparition. The jinx only targets a singular target, who must be hit by the spell in a ranged attack roll. When the curse is successful, the target may not Apparate for 5 minutes/caster level. The Curse may not be broken with Finite Incantatem.

Confundo (Confundus Charm) DC 20- [Mind-Effecting] Causes the victim to become confused and befuddled. Every round there is a 50% percent chance that the victim sees does the opposite of what he intended to do. The victim has no idea that he has been confounded, and sees and remembers things as if his actions at the time were completely rational, and that it is everyone else who is confused. The confounded condition wears off after 1 minute per caster level, or when treated with the appropriate counter-charm or potion.

Expulso DC 15- Sends out a small series of balls of light, which causes a small explosion induced by intense pressure upon contact. In its entirety, it does 1d4 pressure damage/caster level to its target.

Finite Incantatem- DC varies
    This spell may act as a counter-spell for a spell effect already in place. The DC equals the DC of the original casting +5, +5 if it is not a spell known, +5 if he does not know what spell effects he is trying counter-spell. For every 10 DC of the spell, it takes an equal number of rounds to break it. At each round, there is a caster level check, against the opposing caster’s level + 10. If the character fails any of these checks, the spell fails to break. If the character fails by 5 or more, the finite spell is ended and must be recasted from the beginning, as the target spell has repaired itself. If the character fails by 10 or more, the spell backfires and a dangerous magical mishap may occur. If the character succeeds, the effect is dispelled.

Multiple Finites done by different casters may be used against a single spell effect. For each additional cast, there is a +2 on the check.

8. - Top - End - #698

RedWizardGuy

Alright heeeeeerree we go. I love all of the new spells and here are my comments for each.

Anti-Apparition Charm: Love it great DC and fits in well with the setting. To keep with DC exceeded limits perhaps every 5 points the DC is exceeded the spell last another 6 hours? That or if a person chooses to up the DC by five they can have it last another 6 hours.

Anti-Apparition Jinx: Same comments as above but instead of six hours perhaps add another minute?

Confundo: This spell is on the site kind of works, but I like this one much better. The only problem is some actions with the subject. If they cast a spell or try to on a person and must do the opposite does that mean they cast it on themselves or an ally or does it mean they don't cast it at all?

Finite Incantatem: I love it and it does exactly what it should. Make it harder if you don't know the spell, but it allows for spells to be broken.

Expulso: I'm not sure how I feel about this one and it's counterpart which I'm working on the blasting curse. This works on pressure the other on heat/fire. Traditionally in the system I've worked out a damage total of 2d6 starting with DC 15 and it increasing by 1d6 for every 5 points of DC added. Adding a special effect to it that makes it more powerful counts as 5 for the DC although most have one special effect written in. Making this effect more powerful however would be an increase of 5. By having 1d4/level this will average out to 50 points of damage at level 20. By the same token magical blasts if used as a full round attack option does an average of 40.5 points of damage. Other spells one of which I'm working on such as Incendio can do an average of 31.5 points of damage with a special chance to make someone aflame in this case which will average in 7 more points in damage for a total of 38.5. What I would do is perhaps change the DC to 20 make it deal full damage to objects and deal 2d6 points of damage. That or perhaps make it 20 and have a radius of 10 feet. These are just some of my thoughts on it and I've found expulso and the blasting curse to be frustrating as they can do so much and being able to reasonably do it and portray it is a pain. What do you think?

9. - Top - End - #699
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Coming up with new ideas for PrCs

Step one, Add more potions.
    --I did not realize it before, but potions have the potential to be ridiculously powerful, especially in a setting with very few practical magic items. Even with the limited number of potions now, it can increase your intelliegence or charisma for the entire day effectively.

Potionsmaster
    5 Level Class
    Prereqs: Skill Focus Potions, Skill Focus Herbology, ?????
    Draft of class features
    Potions Mastery
    Extend Potion
    Empower Potion
    Quick Potions
    Multiple Potion
    Potion Cocktail
    Skill Bonus
    ?????

New rule: You may only have a number of potions active in your system equal to your consitution modifier + 1

10. - Top - End - #700
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I do not know if you got the email I sent you but I would like to help out with a pdf rule book or something. I sent you a copy of the wizard/witch class as a rough draft. Please let me know if this is something you would be interested in.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Pixie in the Playground

I am not sure if you're still continuing this project, although I would love to think that you are. I had a thought about brooms and racing, since anyone playing quidditch would just pick the broom with a higher movement. I think perhaps that brooms of better quality should have a sort of bonus to Broomstick to represent the skill of the rider and the actual quality of his broom.

Example.
    Sally has a 'Shooting Star 6' which offers a +4 bonus to racing on broomstick.

Devin has a 'Doom Streak 3' Which offers a +2 bonus to racing on broomstick.

Thus if both wanted to reach an item. Let us assume the Snitch. That Sally would be on the broom with the higher bonus, and thus more likely to reach it first.

Sorry for the example. I had to actually write it out to help me visualize it better. =p But anyway. Please keep up the work on this, it's a fantastic project!

12. - Top - End - #702
    Pixie in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I read this through, and it looks fantastic, but I have one misgiving with the whole thing: there are few ranged touch attacks. The only one I saw was for sectumsempra, and I find that incredibly unrealistic. There are many cases is which a ranged touch attack would be necessary, especially for specifically targeted spells (avada kedavra, expelliarmus, stupefy, just to name a few) which need to travel and hit someone. Just thinking that you should perhaps put a note *must succeed on ranged touch attack* by each spell to which this applies.
    As per Malcolm Reynolds, I aim to misbehave

78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

On the island hideout of a gang of bandits.

13. - Top - End - #703
    Pixie in the Playground

I was really wanting to see, if this project is officially still running or not? Everything here just seems so nearly perfect that I would hate to see this particular game mode die.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm aware this is epic level thread necromancy, but I'm currently creating a character using this system. I very much like this system for H.P. d20 and would be interested in seeing its revival if people are still interested in it.
    I am also very much wanting to see the completed Wandmaker prestige class. I am very interested in any and all H.P. d20 material.

Thank you to everyone who worked on this project. I don't think it got the attention it deserved.

15. - Top - End - #705
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Harry Potter and the Closed Thread wasn't as good as the others.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2