New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

i've just changed the final two base attack bonuses on the Dark Wizard/Witch and i've added a list of feats to the bonus feats class feature for players to choose from.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Okay, I've only been through the first 3 posts, but I have a lot of comments already. First of all, no offense, but you desperately need a grammar proofreader. I'd be happy to do so, if you'd like. Now, on to the specifics:

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    Gryffindor- Gryffindor's are supposed to be brave, and courageous people. They are true to their friends and can often go into situations that are beyond their abilities. As such Gryffindor's gain a +2 morale bonus to will save against fear effects. They also gain Diplomacy as a class skill.
    Diplomacy? Really? Let's examine this. Canon Gryffindors (off the top of my head): Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, James Potter, Serius Black, Lupin, Peter Pettigrew. How many of those do you think have Diplomacy? I'm going with maybe Lupin and Hermione.

Hufflepuff- Hufflepuff's are people who value loyalty, hard work, and honesty. As such they gain a +2 bonus to Sense Motive checks. They also gain Sense Motive as a class skill.
    Again, Sense motive? Hufflepuffs are the 'get along with everyone' group, and as such strike me as not likely to go with Sense motive.

However, if you switched it, so Gryffindors get Sense motive as a class skill and Hufflepuffs get Diplomacy, that would make much more sense.

Also, Hufflepuffs' bonus....kinda sucks. I'm not entirely sure what the best route to go on that would be, but they need something better.

Ravenclaw- Ravenclaw's value ingenuity, creativity, intelligence, and curiosity. They are often called bookworms and often spend time studying. As such, they gain an additional 4 skill points at character creation. They also, gain +2 bonus to all intelligence checks for solving questions and the like.
    It might not hurt to clarify "intelligence checks for solving questions and the like" as I can easily see players and DMs arguing over where it applies.

Slytherin- Slytherin's value cunning, ambition, sneakiness, and cleverness. They are often loathed by the peers for the things they do. As such they gain a +2 bonus to Bluff checks. They also gain Bluff as a class skill.
    Like Hufflepuffs', Slytherins' bonus sucks when compared to Gryffindor and Ravenclaw.

Magical Counterspelling- Early in their career of magic wizards and witches must learn how to undo spells they've cast or to block spells that would hurt them. Early in their training, waterbenders learn to block or deflect attacks directed at them and their companions.
    Remove the bolded sentence

Once per round, a wizard/witch can attempt to negate a ranged magical attack targeted within 10 feet +5 ft per 3 class levels.
    I have no idea what this means. Are you referring to an attack on an object or person within 10 + (5 / 3 caster levels) feet, or at attack from an attacker within that range? If the former, that's going to make attacking difficult if everyone on one side can attempt to negate it as long as they're standing together.

If a wizard/witch is caught flat-footed, they can make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the attacker’s BAB + the attacker’s Dexterity modifier) to still make a Magical Counterspelling attempt. A flat-footed wizard/witch can never make more than a single Deflect Attack attempt.
    What's the logic on this? It kinda defeats the purpose of the "flat-footed" state.

[Spells/Potions/Etc]
    Please explain the guidelines you're using to set the DCs of spells, potions, and everything else.

Disillusionment Charm DC Varies
    If this refers to Chameleon and Invisibility, you need to indicate that in some way. If not, you need to flesh this spell out.

Featherweight Charm DC 15- This spell allows the caster to make any object up to Medium size, weight 1/4 its normal weight. The effects of this spell last for 10minutes per caster level. Object's greater than Medium size, can be affected, however each size above Medium causes the DC of the spell to increase by +5.
    The duration on this seems short, given that it seems to be used in HP to move heavy items on a broomstick or similar, which will take longer than 10 min/CL.

Flagrate DC 20- This spell causes sparks to shoot of the casters wand. They become fiery marks in the air and can take any shape or form that the caster desires. They remain in air for 10 minutes per caster level.
    Given that Neville can do this in book one, I'd suggest DC 5-10. Maybe DC 5 for sparks, DC 10 for sparks of a specified color, DC 15 for sparks of a specified color and shape (red circle, for example), and DC 20 for spelling out a message?

Hommenum Revelio DC Varies
    If this refers to Human Detector and Peer Through Invisibility, you need to make that clear, if not you need to describe this spell.

Lumos DC 5- Even the weakest wizard or witch can cast this spell. The casters wand emits a bright white light, in a 5 foot radius around the tip of the wand. For every 10 points by which the DC is exceeded the radius increases by 5 feet. This spell requires no Concentration check to maintain, and other spells may be cast while this is in effect. The spells ends when the caster says the word "Nox"
    The first time I remember this being used by students is year 3. DC 5 seems low for that.

Point Me (Four Point Spell) DC 10- This spell makes the casters wand tip, point to the north. This allows the wand to act as a compass.
    DC 10 seems a little low, as this is noted to be a fairly obscure charm (given that Hermione only finds it in year 4), but perhaps it's just not commonly taught at Hogwarts...

Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm) DC Varies
    <snip>
    DC 20- This creates a ball of pure happiness that can be used against dementors. If the attack roll succeeds against a dementor it is blown 20 feet back. It is blown an additional 5 feet by every 5 points by which the DC is exceeded.
    <snip>
    DC 40- Your Patronus is a bastion of happiness. The Patronus sends out pulses of white light. This automatically dispels all dementors within a 100 foot radius, 100 feet away from the edge of the radius, This spell can be maintained each round with a DC 30 Concentration check
    These seem....off. I don't remember anything like them happening in the books.

Expelliarmus (Disarming Charm) DC Varies
    Once more, you need to make clear that this applies to the two spells below.

DC 20- A red jet erupts from the casters wand and strikes out at the subject. Make a ranged attack against the subject. If it hits the subject is blasted back 10 feet. They move an additional 5 feet for every 5 points by which the DC is exceeded. The subject takes 1d6 points of subduel damage for every 10 points they are moved backwards, rounded down.
    People fly backwards as a consequence of their item being taken away, not as a separate use of the spell. I would add this into the original DC 15 version, with a note that the target is blasted back 5' for every 5 points that the check exceeds 15 and takes 1d6 nonlethal for every 10 feet they move back.

Protego DC Varies
    Once more, please clarify exactly what of the following spells fall under this (it's fairly obvious on this one, but it will help with consistency).

Having read through Curses and Anti-curses, I have to ask how you expect a Defense Against the Dark Arts class to go? You have a lot of curses, but very little by way of defense, especially for early years. Granted, it seems to cover things like magical beasts as well, but the current spells just seem lacking in Anti-curses. (Wouldn't Countercurses by the more accurate term?)

Potions
    On several of these you mention an "Emotional Scale". I know of no such thing in D&D; where do you explain it?

Blood Replenishment DC 15
    When drunk or placed into the body somehow, this potion restores the blood of the drinker, one pint per 24 minus X hours, where X is the level of the potion brewer. Once it restores 1d6 pints, a new potion must be taken to continue the effect.
    So, where are the mechanics for blood loss? Because I don't remember that anywhere in D&D and, without it, this potion is pointless.

Simple Remedy DC 10
    This potion cures a minor condition, such as a cough or a cold. It can be used to treat the symptoms of most ailments, though it will not cure anything major. A Simple Remedy potion also adds a +2 equipment bonus to Healing checks.
    This (and the Veterinary Tonic) mention Healing checks, but there is no Healing skill. Do you mean "Charm checks to cast a healing spell"?

Transfiguration
    This is....hmm...very different from the other types of magic. Could you show some example transfigurations from the book to illustrate the DCs that come from this system (say, matchstick into needle, desk into pig, and mouse into snuffbox)?

Combat Divination
    Prerequisites: Must possess at least 2 ranks in Divination, 16 Cha, 14 Int
    Benefits: You are able to peer into the future slightly, to help protect yourself, or to make a blow strike true. Make a Divination check. The result-15 divided by 5 equals the bonus you gain to either your AC or any attacks you make this round. You may use this ability 2+ Cha modifier times per encounter. You get a penalty to your attack or AC by -2 (depending on what you specified) if you get 15 or below. Also, rolling a 1 means that you take a -10 to your D20 attack roll for that round, or a -5 penalty to AC depending on what you specified. If you possess the True Seer feat, your AC or your attack bonus increases by an additional +2.
    This feat is unfortunately very difficult to read, and could use a substantial rewrite/clarification.

Focused Spell
    Benefit: Choose one spell that, you currently know. You gain a +4 competence bonus when using the skill used to cast that spell.
    Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack, and you choose a different spell each time you gain this feat.
    Given that this only affects one spell, it seems kinda weak compared to the others.

To cast a spell the character must succeed on a DC check equal to the spells DC +5 representing the difficulty in first casting the spell. After that the character, must study for 1 hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC.
    I would strongly suggest reversing the order of this. To learn a spell, you must study first, then attempt to cast it. If you succeed on the casting, you have mastered the spell. If not, you need to study for half the original time again before you can attempt to master it again. (Just a general order suggestion, you'd obviously need to add in the details.)

I'd suggest adding in a clause somewhere that if the witch/wizard fails the check to cast a spell by 10 or more, the spell may backfire or have an unusual effect (such as a cheering charm causing the subject to giggle uncontrollably for an hour or turning your partner into a badger).

Spell Limit- Each character has a set number of spells they are able to learn. They are able to learn up to their spell limit from each school of magic which are Curses-and Anit Curses, Charms, and Transfiguration.
    Can you explain the logic on this? It's pretty clear in HP that the number of spells you can cast is based on how much you study....

All checks made with the wand add a +1 bonus.
    For ease of balancing, I'd suggest giving penalties for not using the wand, instead of a bonus for using it, as that makes it easier to calculate the odds of a witch/wizard of a given level being able to cast a spell (ie, you can look at what they'd have by way of skill points, and not have to add 1 for the wand). Maybe something on the order of -2 for using a wand that's not yours and -10 for using a broken wand. Wandless magic is apparently +15 DC, so those would seem to fit with that scale of difficulty.

Defense: The character advances using the Class as Defense Variant Column B.
    It'd help to add a link here....

The AC for the bludger is 15, and should it be hit, the beater can choose for it to attack the closest opposing team member. The bludger has an attack roll modifier of +10.
    I'd suggest that, instead, the Beater sends the bludger a distance determined by their roll in a direction of their choice, at which point the bludger attacks the nearest player. As it's written now, if all the people on the opponent's team are further away than the people on the Beater's team, there is no chance that the bludger will attack the wrong person.

Chasers- There are three chasers on the field at any time. Their role is to gain control of the Quaffle, and to score points by throwing it through the goal posts. The goal can be from either side, and is worth 10 points.
    What's the AC on a goal post? Do attack rolls with the quaffle use Dex?

For another player, to grab the Quaffle away from a player they must make a Disarm check.
    What's a Disarm check?

The Golden Snitch- The Snitch is a small golden walnut sized ball, that is used to end the game of a Quidditch match. The Snitch is worth 150 points, and is released at the beginning of the match. Capture of the Golden Snitch ends the game. It has a fly speed of 250 feet per round (perfect). It is also suggested that for simplicities sake that the DM has a predetermined path for the snitch, so as to save time during gameplay.
    The snitch is repeately said to be very hard to see, as well as being very fast. I'd note its Hide modifier, as well as its speed.

5. No substitution of players is allowed throughout the game, even if a player is too injured or tired to continue to play, unless there are reserve players present.
    This....doesn't really make sense. Why can't you send a Chaser off if you don't have a replacement? It sucks for your team, but I don't see why you couldn't do it.

7. A game of Quidditch will only end once the Golden Snitch has been caught, or at the mutual consent of both team Captains.
    Ron specifically states that quidditch matches do not end until the snitch is caught.

Also, I realized, going through all this, that you list the class skills for a witch/wizard, but do not list what skills are available. A number of D&D skills don't make a lot of sense here, so you should list the entire set of skills in this world at some point.
    Last edited by Savannah; 2011-05-04 at 05:44 PM.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wow, massive post currently I need to get out of the house for church youth group, but I will edit in the response later.

Also, the most up to date version of everything is on the website. Managing this and the website is too much so many of the updates has appeared on the website.

4. - Top - End - #424

No problem, it took me a while to write (And it's so massive because, as I said in the other thread, I'm thinking about DMing your playtest so I kinda need to know the system well....and I'm a naturally picky person )

That's unfortunate with the website, though, as I much prefer critiquing material on here where I can quote....
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

5. - Top - End - #425

RedWizardGuy

Eventually, I will update everything here from the site although it is going to take a lot of time to do. Luckily, Mock Trial is over for me so the process should start this Sunday and finish by next Sunday. The biggest problem is that I constantly add things to it, so I need to make sure I add things here too.

6. - Top - End - #426

For the second benefit for Hufflepuffs I'm at a loss right now to change it although some time tonight I will get an idea.
    Maybe something along the lines of Hufflepuffs (and only Hufflepuffs) can use the Aid another action to help someone cast a spell? That would fit in with their "work together" vibe.

And maybe Slytherins should get some sort of bonus on spells cast before their opponent has acted during an encounter, as that sorta fits with their "underhanded and sneaky" vibe?
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    Expecto Patronum (Patronus Charm) DC Varies
    <snip>
    DC 20- This creates a ball of pure happiness that can be used against dementors. If the attack roll succeeds against a dementor it is blown 20 feet back. It is blown an additional 5 feet by every 5 points by which the DC is exceeded.
    <snip>
    DC 40- Your Patronus is a bastion of happiness. The Patronus sends out pulses of white light. This automatically dispels all dementors within a 100 foot radius, 100 feet away from the edge of the radius, This spell can be maintained each round with a DC 30 Concentration check
    These seem....off. I don't remember anything like them happening in the books.
    The first one you question is directly referenced in the books as a possible form the patronus takes for less able wizards or witches. The second one is from the third movie

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    Spell Limit- Each character has a set number of spells they are able to learn. They are able to learn up to their spell limit from each school of magic which are Curses-and Anit Curses, Charms, and Transfiguration.
    Can you explain the logic on this? It's pretty clear in HP that the number of spells you can cast is based on how much you study....
    While the number of spells is based on studying, you can only remember so many spells with the particulars on how to cast them at a time. Spells can be complicated, which is why most wizards specialize.

Speaking of which, Why not add a feat or maybe part of character creation that a wizard can pick a type of spell and be able to learn five extra spells from that school at the cost of learning five less spells in another school (or if a feat no other penalty, but can only be taken once)

Other than that I like you ideas and proofreading Savannah, and agree with everything else.
    I have returned, and plan on focusing on world-building. Issues are being dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Thread won! I don't think I have the authority to do that but whatever

8. - Top - End - #428

BlackDragon

more feats for you.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spell Block
    You can nullify an opponent's magic.
    Prerequisites: BAB +12, Weapon Focus (wand).
    Benefit: By a flick of your wand, you can nullify an opponent's spell against you (other than the unforgivable curses) a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum of one). The target's spell automatically fail and their turn immediately ends.

Radiance
    Your heart is filled with that which makes you invulnerable.
    Prerequisites: Must have had a relative or friend die for you.
    Benefit: All opponent's spells against you suffer a -5 penalty on their associated checks. Also, you gain a +2 bonus on all spell checks made against one designated target. You can change your designated target only once during an encounter per day.

EDIT - Where is the Dark Wizard/Witch class on your website?
    Last edited by Marc_In_Da_Room; 2011-05-09 at 02:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    The first one you question is directly referenced in the books as a possible form the patronus takes for less able wizards or witches. The second one is from the third movie
    Ah, that makes sense. I had thought that unformed patronus of a weaker caster was more like the shield option, but if it's like the second there, that's fine (it's been a while since I read the books ). As for the latter, the reason I don't know it is because I refuse to acknowledge that there are movies

Quote Originally Posted by Omeganaut View Post
    While the number of spells is based on studying, you can only remember so many spells with the particulars on how to cast them at a time. Spells can be complicated, which is why most wizards specialize.
    I dunno. I mean, I can see it as a game balance thing, I guess, but I don't remember any evidence for it in the books.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

10. - Top - End - #430

RedWizardGuy

I just wanted to say I am still here I have just had a lot of AP tests and concerts. I will post more tonight.

11. - Top - End - #431

No problem. I have some time today, so I'll probably go through some more stuff, except now that I know that this thread isn't the updated version, I'll just use it to know what to look at on the site
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

12. - Top - End - #432

RedWizardGuy

Alright, cool beans then. I should have my summary posted by 10 EST.

Marc_In_Da_Room: I will have it posted by this Sunday. Making a table on the site takes a fair amount of time which is why it isn't up yet.

13. - Top - End - #433

BlackDragon

that's cool, take your time. I was just wondering that's all.

Also, i should have some more feats for you over the weekend.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
    (And it's so massive because, as I said in the other thread, I'm thinking about DMing your playtest so I kinda need to know the system well....and I'm a naturally picky person )
    We're going to try a Playtest again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

15. - Top - End - #435

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    We're going to try a Playtest again?
    Apparently
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

16. - Top - End - #436

RedWizardGuy

Ok whew this took some time, but here are my comments.

Gryffindor: I agree sense motive is a better idea then diplomacy as a class skill for them and switch their class skill with Hufflepuff.

Hufflepuff: For the Hufflepuff special ability I am thinking that they gain a +2 against mind affecting effects as they are particularly resolute.

Ravenclaw: I will clarify what the intelligence check will apply to.

Slytherin: I am thinking of making it so they gain a +1d6 to damage if they attack first in a round due to their viciousness in addition to bluff.

Bolded Sentence: It is changed on the site so it is not bolded and the waterbender bit is removed.

Once per round, a wizard/witch can attempt to negate a ranged magical attack targeted within 10 feet +5 ft per 3 class levels.: For this I will clarify so they may only negate a magical attack on them and not on another person.

If a wizard/witch is caught flat-footed, they can make a Reflex save (DC 10 + ½ the attacker’s BAB + the attacker’s Dexterity modifier) to still make a Magical Counterspelling attempt. A flat-footed wizard/witch can never make more than a single Deflect Attack attempt: For this its like if you surprise someone they still have a chance to react, but it is much harder.

For the Dissillusionment Charm I fleshed it our so each one has its own set DC.

Featherweight Charm: I kept it to 10 minutes per caster level for game balance. Also, considering how fast a person moves on a broomstick they avoid most traffic and can get to many places quickly.

Flagrate: I like your idea and will make the change this Sunday.

Hommenum Revelio: What do you mean exactly in each of the DC's I put a distinction on what each of them reveals.

Lumos: I kept lumos quite low as it is a very easy charm to cast and also is not game breaking. I think it would be reasonable to think that the main three may have learned it earlier then third year, but they never needed to use it before then.

Point Me: I kept it to DC 10 as it is not that hard to cast, but is a bit obscure so it will require training to be able to cast it.

Expecto Patronum: A couple of these versions are from the movie and I wanted to give characters more options besides shield and true patronus.

Expelliarmus: I made the changes and you can see it on the site

Countercurses is a better name and I have been meaning to change it into that for quite a while now. Most of the class to me seemed to be educating students about the dangers and a lot of the ways to protect yourself is to magically counterspell.

Potions: The original person who helped me with potions put in emotional scale and what not so I need to go back through all of them and make the changes that are appropriate.

Blood Replenishment: I will change it to healing a set amount.

This (and the Veterinary Tonic) mention Healing checks, but there is no Healing skill. Do you mean "Charm checks to cast a healing spell"?: Yes you are correct that is what I meant.

Transfiguration: I will make an example later today.

Combat Divination: I will try to clean it up by the end of tomorrow.

Focused Spell: I feel like a bigger bonus would be too much and this stacks with other bonuses so it can help to create a more potent spell then normal for a character of that level.

To cast a spell the character must succeed on a DC check equal to the spells DC +5 representing the difficulty in first casting the spell. After that the character, must study for 1 hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC.: I like this idea I will make the change on the site later.

Spell Limit: I did this for more of game balance then anything else. Also, learning spells does take a long time and they have a lot of classes to do work on.

Wand Bonus: I like your idea and will change it and will only keep the +2 bonus that they get for one type of spell or other ability.

Variant Defense: I can add a link on the site right to it.

Goal Post: AC of goal post is 10, but with a keeper it uses the keepers AC.

Disarm check: Like in the SRD when you can disarm an opponent.

Snitch: I will add its hide modifier

Rules: I took the rules from harry potter wiki and they listed it from a book that J.K. Rowling made (which I need to find again somewhere in my room)

Also, for the skills I will clarify which ones are suited. Also money is handled by the DM right now as money is not as important in harry potter.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Looking very good. Imbasel, what category needs the most help now? What can I help with?

18. - Top - End - #438

RedWizardGuy

Probably creatures as we are lacking in that area. Also, more feats are going to be needed and more prestige classes are the areas that I am looking at right now.

19. - Top - End - #439
    Orc in the Playground

I wouldn't trust myself to write balanced creatures, but I'll see what I can do with feats and PrC's. Any particular areas you want me to focus on in those?

20. - Top - End - #440

Hufflepuff: For the Hufflepuff special ability I am thinking that they gain a +2 against mind affecting effects as they are particularly resolute.

Slytherin: I am thinking of making it so they gain a +1d6 to damage if they attack first in a round due to their viciousness in addition to bluff.
    Ooh, I like those! One comment, though, make sure you actually have fear and mind-affecting labels on some of the spells, otherwise Gryffindors' and Hufflepuffs' abilities won't ever come into play.

A flat-footed wizard/witch can never make more than a single Deflect Attack attempt: For this its like if you surprise someone they still have a chance to react, but it is much harder.
    It's just that, in D&D, "flat-footed" means that you successfully surprised the person and they didn't have a chance to react. The "surprise round" before the normal combat starts is when anyone who's aware can get the drop on anyone who's unaware, without needing to nerf the flat-footed state.

Hommenum Revelio: What do you mean exactly in each of the DC's I put a distinction on what each of them reveals.
    It's just that you have it set up like this:

Spell 1 intro

Spell 1a

Spell 1b

Spell 2
    There's no indication that "spell 1 intro" refers to the two spells following it, because they look exactly the same as any individual spell. I'd suggest indenting or something so that it looks like this:

Spell 1 intro
    Spell 1a

Spell 1b

Spell 2
    That way it's clear what spells fall under "spell 1".

Focused Spell: I feel like a bigger bonus would be too much and this stacks with other bonuses so it can help to create a more potent spell then normal for a character of that level.
    Okay, that's fair. And we'll see in playtesting

Spell Limit: I did this for more of game balance then anything else. Also, learning spells does take a long time and they have a lot of classes to do work on.
    Alright. I don't see any evidence of it in the books, but I'm perfectly happy with it being for balance.

Goal Post: AC of goal post is 10, but with a keeper it uses the keepers AC.
    Oooh, that's a good idea!

Also, for the skills I will clarify which ones are suited. Also money is handled by the DM right now as money is not as important in harry potter.
    Yeah, that's what I was figuring for money. Eventually you could add it in, but it's such an unimportant thing right now, relative to the rest of it!

Also, I'm not sure I can be much help with creatures (okay, maybe this one), feats, and prestige classes, but let me know if you want me to edit or rewrite any existing stuff, 'cause I'm pretty good at that
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

21. - Top - End - #441

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    I wouldn't trust myself to write balanced creatures, but I'll see what I can do with feats and PrC's. Any particular areas you want me to focus on in those?
    If you could I would like a PrC dealing more with divination and seers. I meant to do it ages ago, but I just couldn't come up with an idea that worked.

Also, I will make sure certain spells have the mind-affecting descriptor.

It's just that, in D&D, "flat-footed" means that you successfully surprised the person and they didn't have a chance to react. The "surprise round" before the normal combat starts is when anyone who's aware can get the drop on anyone who's unaware, without needing to nerf the flat-footed state: I can see your point in that. I guess it would be like if you had someone pop around the corner and they knew you were there. You would have no time to react as they cast a spell against you. I will make the change.

Also, for the spells I will make the change for the spells that have their DC's vary.

Spell Limit: I know it's not like that in the books, but yes it is just there for balance.

Also, thank you very much for all the help and input and feel free to look at the site and tell me if there appears to be something not correct.

22. - Top - End - #442

Going through the spells, I feel that the DCs are being assigned at what "looks good" instead of carefully considering what level people could learn the spell. To that end, I'm including the following tables to help assess spell DCs:

Terminology and assumptions:
    1) I'm looking at learning spells, rather than casting them, as there is no point in being able to cast a spell if you can't learn it. The DCs listed are the unmodified DCs for casting a spell, but I include the +5 DC from not having mastered it in the calculation.

2) "Easy to learn" = Master the spell with a roll of 10 or higher.
    "Hard to learn" = Master the spell with a roll of 15 or higher.
    "Nearly impossible to learn" = Master the spell with a roll of 20. Note that, while these are labeled "nearly impossible to learn", a determined player will be able to learn them at the given level.

3) "Average caster" = Someone who is not specializing in that branch of spells (charms, transfiguration, potions, etc), but is decent at it.
    a) An average caster has the maximum ranks for their level in the branch of spells.
    b) An average caster has a +0 bonus to that branch of spells (10-1 on the relevant ability score).
    "Specialist caster" = Someone who is particularly interested in that branch of spells, but is not pouring all their resources into it.
    a) A specialist caster has the maximum ranks for their level in the branch of spells.
    b) A specialist caster starts with a +3 bonus to that branch of spells (12-13 on the relevant ability score + a specialist wand OR 15-16 on the relevant ability score).
    c) A specialist caster puts their ability score boosts into the relevant ability score, so their bonus goes up by 1 at 8th and 16th level.
    d) Additionally, a specialist caster picks up a +2 bonus from a feat/prestige class/something at 12th level.
    "Expert caster" = Someone who is focused almost exclusively on that branch of spells.
    a) An expert caster has the maximum ranks for their level in the branch of spells.
    b) An expert caster starts with a +5 bonus to that branch of spells (15-16 on the relevant ability score + a specialist wand). I haven't gone through all the feats, but I'm sure it can be pushed even higher at 1st level (Skill Focus, for example).
    c) An expert caster puts their ability score boosts into the relevant ability score, so their bonus goes up by 1 at 8th and 16th level.
    d) Additionally, an expert caster picks up a +2 bonus from a feat/prestige class/something at 6th, 12th, and 18th level (I suspect this is well understating the bonuses they can pick up if they truly want to).

Most PCs will be Specialist or Expert casters or better! I strongly believe I'm underestimating what the maximum skill bonus could be. Average casters should be used as an average NPC reference.

Average Caster
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head] Level | Bonus | Easy to learn | Hard to learn | Almost impossible to learn
    1 | 4 | 9 | 14 | 19
    2 | 5 | 10 | 15 | 20
    3 | 6 | 11 | 16 | 21
    4 | 7 | 12 | 17 | 22
    5 | 8 | 13 | 18 | 23
    6 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 24
    7 | 10 | 15 | 20 | 25
    8 | 11 | 16 | 21 | 26
    9 | 12 | 17 | 22 | 27
    10 | 13 | 18 | 23 | 28
    11 | 14 | 19 | 24 | 29
    12 | 15 | 20 | 25 | 30
    13 | 16 | 21 | 26 | 31
    14 | 17 | 22 | 27 | 32
    15 | 18 | 23 | 28 | 33
    16 | 19 | 24 | 29 | 34
    17 | 20 | 25 | 30 | 35
    18 | 21 | 26 | 31 | 36
    19 | 22 | 27 | 32 | 37
    20 | 23 | 28 | 33 | 38 [/table]

Specialist caster
    Spoiler
    Show
    {table=head] Level | Bonus | Easy to learn | Hard to learn | Almost impossible to learn
    1 | 7 | 12 | 17 | 22
    2 | 8 | 13 | 18 | 23
    3 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 24
    4 | 10 | 15 | 20 | 25
    5 | 11 | 16 | 21 | 26
    6 | 12 | 17 | 22 | 27
    7 | 13 | 18 | 23 | 28
    8 | 15 | 20 | 25 | 30
    9 | 16 | 21 | 26 | 31
    10 | 17 | 22 | 27 | 32
    11 | 18 | 23 | 28 | 33
    12 | 21 | 26 | 31 | 36
    13 | 22 | 27 | 32 | 37
    14 | 23 | 28 | 33 | 38
    15 | 24 | 29 | 34 | 39
    16 | 26 | 31 | 36 | 41
    17 | 27 | 32 | 37 | 42
    18 | 28 | 33 | 38 | 43
    19 | 29 | 34 | 39 | 44
    20 | 30 | 35 | 40 | 45 [/table]

Expert caster
    Spoiler
    Show
    1 | 9 | 14 | 19 | 24
    2 | 10 | 15 | 20 | 25
    3 | 11 | 16 | 21 | 26
    4 | 12 | 17 | 22 | 27
    5 | 13 | 18 | 23 | 28
    6 | 16 | 21 | 26 | 31
    7 | 17 | 22 | 27 | 32
    8 | 19 | 24 | 29 | 34
    9 | 20 | 25 | 30 | 35
    10 | 21 | 26 | 31 | 36
    11 | 22 | 27 | 32 | 37
    12 | 25 | 30 | 35 | 40
    13 | 26 | 31 | 36 | 41
    14 | 27 | 32 | 37 | 42
    15 | 28 | 33 | 38 | 43
    16 | 30 | 35 | 40 | 45
    17 | 31 | 36 | 41 | 46
    18 | 34 | 39 | 44 | 49
    19 | 35 | 40 | 45 | 50
    20 | 36 | 41 | 46 | 51 [/table]

What this shows
    Assuming PCs are Specialist casters, a 1st level PC can learn and cast a DC 20 spell (it will be hard, however) and will easily learn and cast DC 10 spells.

Avada Kedavra first becomes possible at 9th level -- quite likely sooner, if I'm right that I'm underestimating an Expert's optimization.

A corporeal Patronus first becomes possible at 6th level -- quite likely sooner, if I'm right that I'm underestimating an Expert's optimization.

And much more, no doubt If you disagree with my numbers, let me know; I have this in an excel spreadsheet and can easily adjust my bonuses!

Overall, I think that the spell DCs you have now aren't bad, however I think they might be a little low, especially on the DC 10-20 spells, as that's within the range of a 1st level witch/wizard. I'd also like to see some spells with non-multiple of 5 DCs, just to mix things up a bit!
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

23. - Top - End - #443

RedWizardGuy

Wow, those tables are really great. I really like what you've done with them.

In regards to power Harry Potter could cast a corporeal Patronus at third year. I'm going to presume he was at 4th level and had maxed out his skill so he got a +7 and lets say a +3 from his wand for a +10. Now, combine skill focus and focused spell and you have a +17 to cast it with up to a +22 depending on the happiness of the spell meaning he can easily make a true patronus. However, this requires him to heavily focus on that one spell and that branch of magic soaking up skill points and 2 feats.

Currently, I figure most people graduate at 7th year between 6-8th level depending on how much adventure they had in school. So having Avada Kedavra at 9th level while powerful, would be realistic given the power levels.

What spells are you thinking of scaling at multiple 5 DC's and how also what spells are you thinking of that need to be increased in DC?

24. - Top - End - #444

What spells are you thinking of scaling at multiple 5 DC's
    Everything is DC 5, DC 10, DC 20, DC 25, etc. It'd be cool to see some DC 17, DC 28, DC 13, or whatever spells, just to mix things up a bit. With the tables, you could kinda guess where people are going to get those spells, and so decide "I want everyone good at charms to be able to get this spell at around level 5, so 'easy to learn' on the 'specialist' table for level 5 means it should be DC 16" for example.

and how also what spells are you thinking of that need to be increased in DC?
    Hmm....going back through them on the website, there weren't that many that jumped out at me. However, for example, the Bubble-head charm is DC 20, but Harry doesn't even seem to know it exists until Cedric and Fleur use it, so it just seems like it shouldn't be something reasonably competent 1st years can use.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

25. - Top - End - #445

RedWizardGuy

I will definitely think about changing the scale's from fives to other values as well. On one hand I really like keeping it at five as it scales well and makes determine effects easier. However, making it on different scales would make it a bit closer to however focused a particular person was.

Also, I kept the DC 20 for Bubble-head as it seemed that many people cast it in Harry's fifth year with Fred and George's shenanigans . To me it wasn't that it was a difficult spell it was just one not used often and harry couldn't find it because he most likely didn't have a high enough knowledge charms.

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ogre in the Playground

Do you have any specific request for the next monster, or should I choose one at random? Also, if I remember correctly, I believe you said that you wanted Dementors at CR 6-8? Is that correct?

Speaking of Dementors, what creature type would they be? I'm leaning towards aberration, on the account that they supposedly breed like mold, but I'll leave the final decision making to you.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!

27. - Top - End - #447

RedWizardGuy

I would like to have the Dementor between CR 5-8 and being abberation sounds great. I would prefer the Dementor to be next if that is possible.

28. - Top - End - #448

Imbasel, were you going to reverse the order of studying and casting a spell needed to master it? I'm writing up some stuff for the game right now and I noticed it hadn't been changed, and learning spells is one thing that will definitely be coming up early in the game.
    Knowledge is power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

29. - Top - End - #449

RedWizardGuy

Yes, the order should be switched and should appear like that on the site in a couple of hours amongst other things.

How goes the PbP planning and anything I can help with?

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay. I think it'll be around CR 7-8 then, but mainly because of the soul-sucking ability.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Let's Read the Monster Manual II!

Dwarf Cleric avatar by azuyomi244. Thanks!

Saurial Soulknife avatar by Serpentine. Thanks!

Warforged Fighter Avatar by C-Lam. Thanks!