New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

you left out the description of the non-verbal and wandless magic abilities.
    Also, given that the Marauders became Animagi while still at school, I take it that the levels do not correspond to years.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    What exactly are you proposing? Are you saying, that there should be some type of research/study before you can cast a spell? I was thinking of making some type of mechanic for that.
    I think I am. Give accses to a certain amount of starting spells, and then in exchange for a feat, or something else, give them the oppurtunity to research a knew spell.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am still working on the class features, but they will be up by the end of today don't worry.

Also, you are right levels do not necessarily equal years. I sat down and thought for a long while about this. The 3 main heroes of HP Harry, Hermione, and Ron are above the rest of the students. They go and fight much, much more, and are always doing something that is seems to be dangerous or adventurous. I would say most average students gain about a level each year. The main 3 however, I would say would be between levels 10-12 at the end of book 7.

4. - Top - End - #64

RedWizardGuy

Ok how about this. Instead of a spell known, we can have a limit to spells able to learn. Characters start off knowing 0 spells at first level. However, once in Hogwarts or with a teacher/book they can begin to learn new spells. To cast a spell the character must succeed on a DC check equal to the spells DC +5 representing the difficulty in first casting the spell. After that the character, must study for 1 hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC. Once they have done that they are considered to have "mastered" the spell and won't have the extra +5 added on to the spells difficulty.

The Feat Increased Spellcasting, would be changed to increase the Spell Limit by 2.

What do you think?
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 05:57 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by jedipilot24 View Post
    Also, given that the Marauders became Animagi while still at school, I take it that the levels do not correspond to years.
    I was thinking this myself. People get different stuff out of bing at Hogwarts.

1st Year = 1st level
    2nd Year = 2nd level
    3rd year = 3rd level
    4th and 5th = 4th level
    6th and 7th = 5th level

This is part of the reason I said it would ift into an E6 or E8 campaign pretty well. Im not saying thats the afformentioned a standard progression or anything. Harry and (some of) the DA seem a cut above normal. Then again, they are the protagonists of the series.

Ok how about this. Instead of a spell known, we can have a limit to spells able to learn. Characters start off knowing 0 spells at first level. However, once in Hogwarts or with a teacher/book they can begin to learn new spells. To cast a spell the character must succeed on a DC check equal to the spells DC +5 representing the difficulty in first casting the spell. After that the character, must study for 1 hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC. Once they have done that they are considered to have "mastered" the spell and won't have the extra +5 added on to the spells difficulty.

What do you think?
    Im not sure honestly. Isn't their a way to research a knew spell in 3.5? Granted, it means create a knew one, not learn a knew one, but similar. No?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 05:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #66

RedWizardGuy

The Feat Increased Spellcasting, would be changed to increase the Spell Limit by 2.

Feat using new mechanic

Fast Researcher
    Prerequisites: Must have an Intelligence of at least 12
    Benefit: The character can learn a new spell by only having to study for half an hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Feat using new mechanic

Fast Researcher
    Prerequisites: Must have an Intelligence of at least 12
    Benefit: The character can learn a new spell by only having to study for half an hour for every 5 points of the spells base DC.
    I'd up the Int. Ron is probably Int 12, and he certainly couldn't do that. Granger's probably at Int 18 by the end of the books, and she's the only one explicitly shown with that kind of ability.

8. - Top - End - #68

RedWizardGuy

Ok, lets up the Int to 14 for the feat then. Do you like the new mechanic and think we should use it?

I also, looked up how new spells are created. Basically you make a spellcraft check after a week equal to 10+ the spells level. I think that could work, but I prefer my method more. It also says it costs gold to create, but I don't think it should be used in this case.

Also, I realized that with a few days more work we could actually play a game using these rules.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 06:08 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ok, lets up the Int to 14 for the feat then. Do you like the new mechanic and think we should use it?

I also, looked up how new spells are created. Basically you make a spellcraft check after a week equal to 10+ the spells level. I think that could work, but I prefer my method more. It also says it costs gold to create, but I don't think it should be used in this case.

Also, I realized that with a few days more work we could actually play a game using these rules.
    Sounds good.

Im not entirely fond of either. Some sort of compromise seems like the best, but Im really not sure.

I'd play it if you'd DM. Though, Im probably going to drop off in contributions with school starting up next week
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 06:13 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

RedWizardGuy

Well, right now I guess I'll use the mechanic I made up. So now I'm going to make a list of things that would be good to have done before we started a game. I think its feasible with hard work, to get it done by Sunday, so that you can play in the game. You already have a spot .

We need:

Wands- I put the basic foundation down, but we need more in the way of mechanics on how they are used.

Brooms/Quidditch- I'm posting stuff about Quidditch tomorrow, as well as brooms so don't worry about that.

Everything, else I think we can get by on and work on stuff while the game is in play. Also, if you have Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find them that will help immensely in helping creating magical creatures. Anybody that has that book, or access to a list of creatures feel free to make them up so we can see/review them. Creating creatures, has never been my strong suit and while I can do it somebody else can probably do it better.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

I was always under the impression that the Dark Arts are a separate branch of magic, not just a branch of Defense as it is now. They weren’t taught at school because, well, they are the Dark Arts. They only learned enough about them to identify them, and defend against them. Shouldn’t they be their own school/skill?

12. - Top - End - #72

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by scout penguin View Post
    I was always under the impression that the Dark Arts are a separate branch of magic, not just a branch of Defense as it is now. They weren’t taught at school because, well, they are the Dark Arts. They only learned enough about them to identify them, and defend against them. Shouldn’t they be their own school/skill?
    I thought about this a lot when I started working on this system. I originally had the Dark Arts as their own skill, but then it got me thinking. Technically Harry cast two of the Unforgivable Curse's. When he cast them he did well at them and we also know he was very good at Defense against the Dark Arts. Since part of learning the Defense Against the Dark Arts, can bee seeing them cast/ learning on how to defend against them, they could also learn how to cast them. People who don't know the dark arts are simply people who have chosen not to learn that spell. I could reword it to Curses, and Anti-Curses if you like, but I just like Defense Against the Dark Arts better.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, right now I guess I'll use the mechanic I made up. So now I'm going to make a list of things that would be good to have done before we started a game. I think its feasible with hard work, to get it done by Sunday, so that you can play in the game. You already have a spot .

We need:

Wands- I put the basic foundation down, but we need more in the way of mechanics on how they are used.

Brooms/Quidditch- I'm posting stuff about Quidditch tomorrow, as well as brooms so don't worry about that.

Everything, else I think we can get by on and work on stuff while the game is in play. Also, if you have Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find them that will help immensely in helping creating magical creatures. Anybody that has that book, or access to a list of creatures feel free to make them up so we can see/review them. Creating creatures, has never been my strong suit and while I can do it somebody else can probably do it better.
    I thank you.

I wish their was more on wands in the books myself. They seem interesting, but neglected in all but a few chapters.

I have Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find, but I have no idea where it is. Most creatures in their already exist, but are tooled up a little different as it is.

I thought about this a lot when I started working on this system. I originally had the Dark Arts as their own skill, but then it got me thinking. Technically Harry cast two of the Unforgivable Curse's. When he cast them he did well at them and we also know he was very good at Defense against the Dark Arts. Since part of learning the Defense Against the Dark Arts, can bee seeing them cast/ learning on how to defend against them, they could also learn how to cast them. People who don't know the dark arts are simply people who have chosen not to learn that spell. I could reword it to Curses, and Anti-Curses if you like, but I just like Defense Against the Dark Arts better.
    I think curses and anti-curses might work better. Defense Against the Dark Arts is the name of a class, not the name of a discipline or style (IMO).

14. - Top - End - #74

RedWizardGuy

Ok, I will change it to Curses and Ant-Curses.

Also, your right a lot of the creatures already exists, but just need some minor re-tooling.

Also, since wands are so vague in the HP, as to what certain types of wood does and core does lets do this. At character creation the character chooses their wand. They say what the wood is and the core inside the wand. They then choose one of the 3 options here

Gain a +2 to Charm checks

Gain a +2 to Curses

Gain a +2 to Anti-Curses (these comprise of Protego, and whenever a character decides to defend against a magical attack)

Gain a +2 to Transfiguration checks

What do you think, each wand seemed to be attuned to a particular type of magic. Also, players can explain that different woods with different cores, make things happen differently, as they react differently to each other.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 06:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

I think that the spells could be better organized. HP is pretty specific about the existence of different categories of spells, some being charms, jinxs, hexes, curses, etc. There also seems to be a difference between some curses such as the killing curse, and other dark magic such as the art of making horcruxes.

I don't think that there should be a limit on spells known. For example, in the books, the least intelligent of the main characters, Ron, has shown proficiency in dozens of spells, while Hermione is shown to know hundreds. I don't think there should be a lifetime limit on the number of spells known, but learning them could become more difficult the more you know.

I know that there is no book support for the magical blasts seen in the movies, but I still think we should include them. Like in the avatar system, you should be able to perform these blasts as iterative attacks, in addition to being able to cast a more powerful spell. This would also make combat more exciting than, "I cast a spell, here is my attack roll and DC to overcome." "I roll higher than you, and block your spell." Rinse and repeat.

Also, if you end up doing a playtest of this, count me in if possible.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    I know that there is no book support for the magical blasts seen in the movies, but I still think we should include them. Like in the avatar system, you should be able to perform these blasts as iterative attacks, in addition to being able to cast a more powerful spell. This would also make combat more exciting than, "I cast a spell, here is my attack roll and DC to overcome." "I roll higher than you, and block your spell." Rinse and repeat.

Also, if you end up doing a playtest of this, count me in if possible.

There are movie exclusive creatures? GAME exclusive sure, but movie?

I still don't like the blasts, but they do show up in the movie. There's also psiconics in HP with Occlumency is you think about it. That should be prestige though.

Maybe thats why Harry failed...

Also, their should be an Anti and a Curse wand, not a bundle. That seems overpowered.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 06:53 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

RedWizardGuy

For making Horcrux's I would just make a feat that the character would have to take in order to make them and yes I will eventually make up such a feat. For magical blasts, I'm on the fence. It isn't in the books, but it is in the movie. Its helpful because it allows wizards to fall back on a basic attack spell. So should I put it back in you guys what do you think. I guess I'll call for a vote.

There shall be 4 people who vote and will place their arguements for the basic magical blasts. People will also vote for or against, and after the debate I shall make the final vote in the event of a tie. Does that sound fair?

For spell organization I think it works ok as of right now. People can basically choose to learn certain types of spells, and their sub-divisions. Also, I don't think hermione has cast over a hundred different types of spells. I could increase the limit to spells able to learn to 4 each level, and make it so the Increased Spellcasting increased the limit by 4. However, I'm on the fence about that and will need some convincing. Also, I think that it works alright right now because I don't want characters all knowing all the same spells, and some diversity in that would be cool.

Also, Aranii consider it done, for being in the playtesting group.

Also, I will change it to anti-curses and curse spells for wand instead of one group.

Occlumency I'm thinking could be a feat as well combined with Legilimency. Basically, it would allow you to gain these two things as skills, and put points into them.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 06:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

For making Horcrux's I would just make a feat that the character would have to take in order to make them and yes I will eventually make up such a feat. For magical blasts, I'm on the fence. It isn't in the books, but it is in the movie. Its helpful because it allows wizards to fall back on a basic attack spell. So should I put it back in you guys what do you think. I guess I'll call for a vote.

There shall be 4 people who vote and will place their arguements for the basic magical blasts. People will also vote for or against, and after the debate I shall make the final vote in the event of a tie. Does that sound fair?

For spell organization I think it works ok as of right now. People can basically choose to learn certain types of spells, and their sub-divisions. Also, I don't think hermione has cast over a hundred different types of spells. I could increase the limit to spells able to learn to 4 each level, and make it so the Increased Spellcasting increased the limit by 4. However, I'm on the fence about that and will need some convincing. Also, I think that it works alright right now because I don't want characters all knowing all the same spells, and some diversity in that would be cool.

Also, Aranii consider it done, for being in the playtesting group.

Also, I will change it to anti-curses and curse spells for wand instead of one group.
    I wouldn't bother with horcruxes. Your goung to be reaching epic soon if you're going to be doing that.

I don't have much of an argument except they aren't in the books. It is a useful mechanoc though. So Im stuck as well.

Feat fix sounds fine

I think the two work best as a PrC, but your the guy in charge

19. - Top - End - #79

RedWizardGuy

What two for PrC sorry, I'm a bit confused?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

What two for PrC sorry, I'm a bit confused?
    Occlumency and Leggimancy

21. - Top - End - #81

RedWizardGuy

My view for that is Harry was never really good at it. If he was in a PrC, I would expect him to be at least average, in it and not poor in it. Its easier to say he had few skill points invested in it showing that he did not have a good understanding/control of it.

Anyway, what do you think we should work on next?

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

My view for that is Harry was never really good at it. If he was in a PrC, I would expect him to be at least average, in it and not poor in it. Its easier to say he had few skill points invested in it showing that he did not have a good understanding/control of it.

Anyway, what do you think we should work on next?
    It doesnt list him as eith on the HP Wiki. This mean he couldn't get into it. Thats why it should be a PrC (IMO).

Creatures perhaps. Spells. I don't know honestly. Creatures are simple(r) due to most are only re-tools.

23. - Top - End - #83

RedWizardGuy

I think its just a differing in opinion, at this point. In the books he did successfully resist Voldermort a few times as well as Snape, so he did have some ability in this area.

Would you like to get started on creatures while I work on Quidditch? If I work, really hard I can get the rules/broomsticks up tonight.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I think its just a differing in opinion, at this point. In the books he did successfully resist Voldermort a few times as well as Snape, so he did have some ability in this area.

Would you like to get started on creatures while I work on Quidditch? If I work, really hard I can get the rules/broomsticks up tonight.
    *Grumbles* Stil think it works better as a PrC then a feat. Though it may work as feat-skill combo if that makes sense

Sure. I could mess with some stuff I suppose. Also, this may be exremey useful.
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-13 at 08:02 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

RedWizardGuy

Ok, cool thanks for the help. Also, I've already printed out that entire page to do work with me on the go. I like harry potter.

Also, I am currently thinking about creating a website to put all this information on so its in an organized manner. It won't be for some time yet, I just wanted to let you know, of the possibility.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

^ Cool.

Should Centaurs, Goblins, House Elves, and Merfolk really be statted out as races? I don't think they should be. Creatures and NPC's yes. Note: No way am I ever going to stat out a NPC.

27. - Top - End - #87

RedWizardGuy

No i think they should be stated out as creatures. In the Harry Potter universe, I can't see any situation where you could reasonably play as one of those races with the rest of the party. Also, I don't mind statting out NPCS.

Also, our first broomstick what do you think?

The Firebolt is the fastest broomstick in existence. It is capable of going of reaching speeds as high as 150mph in ten seconds. In game terms the broomstick is capable of moving 350 feet per round. Due to its high level of craftsmanship it also grants the rider a +2 to Broomstick checks
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-13 at 08:13 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Been goofing around with the Acromantula (the species that Aragog is). And I forget, can Magical Beats speak?

Alos, what should his the species Intelligence be?
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-14 at 08:48 AM.

29. - Top - End - #89

RedWizardGuy

Very cool, the Acromantula is one of my favorite creatures. I checked in Fantastic Beasts & where to find them, and it says they have near human intelligence. I would put their intelligence at an 8 or 9 then.

Some magical creatures can speak and other's can't, its on a case by case basis. However the Acromantula is one of them that can talk.

Also, what do you think of the Firebolt? I'm going to have breakfest and come back so response time will be about 10 minutes.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Gotcha.

Are we ging to have Common as a Language still?

It looks good to me, but Flying is probabby more important then the brooms at this point (IMO).
    Last edited by AtlanteanTroll; 2010-08-14 at 09:02 AM.