New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Ok, I'll start working on posting the broomstick up. I meant to post and work on things last night, but I ended up passing out, while working.

Common can just be English I think. Having a higher intelligence, can allow you to learn other languages like French, Spanish, German, etc..

2. - Top - End - #92
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, theirs a language for Giants, English, Merfolk (and probably other aquatics), and Goblins. Im not sure if Centaurs and House-Elves have their own languages or not. She never really said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

3. - Top - End - #93

RedWizardGuy

Ok, I'll make a list of languages after I finish Quidditch.

4. - Top - End - #94

RedWizardGuy

Here is a good start to quidditch rules

Rules for Quidditch-
    All players trained in Broomstick gain a +2 to AC while riding a broomstick, and a +2 to melee attack rolls, and ranged attack rolls.

There are 7 different players for Quidditch and each of them has different roles.

Beaters- There are two beaters on the field at any given time. Their role is to hit the bludger away from their own team, to the other team. To hit the bludger the beater, must make a melee attack roll with their beaters club. The AC for the bludger is 15, and should it be hit, the beater can choose for it to attack the closest opposing team member. The bludger has an attack roll modifier of +10.

Chasers- There are three chasers on the field at any time. Their role is to gain control of the Quaffle, and to score points by throwing it through the goal posts. The goal can be from either side, and is worth 10 points.
    Keeper- There is one keeper on each Quidditch team. Their role is to block the Quaffle, to prevent goals from being scored. A keeper may block any one of the 3 goals as long as they remain no more then 10 feet away from the goal. Deflecting a goal is like Magical Counterspelling only instead of a magic skill check they make a Broomstick check. Also, stopping a goal in this manner allows the Keeper to retain possession of the ball, or to deflect it to fly away 30 feet.

Seeker- There is one seeker on each Quidditch team. Their goal is to catch the golden snitch, which is a small walnut sized golden ball. Only the capture, of a golden snitch can end a match and it is worth 150 points, to the team who captures the snitch. No other player may touch the golden snitch. The golden snitch has an AC of 15, but it is incredibly fast.

The Different Balls-

Bludger- The bludger is a small iron ball, that zooms around the Quidditch pitch attemping to knock players off their brooms. The AC for the bludger is 15, and should it be hit, a beater can choose for it to attack the closest opposing team member. The bludger has an attack roll modifier of +8. Should a bludger hit a player, one of two things can happen. If it hits the player and its attack roll does not exceed the AC by 5 or more, the player takes 2d6 points of non-lethal damage. The player must also succeed on a Broomstick check or be stopped in place, and drop the ball. If the Bludger exceeds the AC of the player by 5 or more, the player is knocked off their broom, and must succeed on a DC 15 Reflex save, or plummet down to the ground, in addition to suffering all the other previous effects. Should they make the save they hold on to the broomstick by the tips of their fingers and must succeed on a DC 10 Strength check to pull themselves back up, as a move action. If they succeed on a DC 20 Broomstick check, however they manage to direct their broomstick to the ground with them as they fall treating the distance fallen as 20 feet less. Should the bludger miss it will begin to move for the other closest player, to the one who the attack was just directed at. At the beginning of the match the bludgers just fly around, and go to the first player closest to them. The bludger has a fly speed of 150 feet (perfect).

Quaffle- The Quaffle is a small red ball, that chasers use to score goals. The quaffle begins the match being tossed up in the air, and the chaser with the highest initiative can make the first attack roll to attempt to grab the ball. The ball has an AC of 10, and is very easy to hold capable of being held only in one hand. The Quaffle is also magically enchanted, to fall more slowly and on any given round that it is falling to the ground it only falls 20 feet. For another player, to grab the Quaffle away from a player they must make a Disarm check.

I will add more later.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-14 at 12:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OK, the rules look good.

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    All players trained in Broomstick gain a +2 to AC while riding a broomstick, and a +2 to melee attack rolls, and ranged attack rolls.
    This is odd though. The AC bonus is fine, but it would be better if people untrained took a penelty rather than those who are trained gaining a bonus.

6. - Top - End - #96

RedWizardGuy

Okay, I will change it to provide a penalty rather than a bonus, for the attack rolls and AC. Then I will still keep the AC bonus for those trained, and those trained won't get an attack bonus. How does that sound, and is that what you meant?

7. - Top - End - #97
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Penalty to hit while flying un-trained. Bonus to AC and no penalty to hit when trained.

8. - Top - End - #98

RedWizardGuy

Ok, I will change that then. What about everything, else do you like it?

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Everything else seems fine

10. - Top - End - #100

RedWizardGuy

Do you think we are ready to playtest?

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Im probably not the best judge of that. We need more low leveled spells for one.

12. - Top - End - #102

RedWizardGuy

Ok, I'll do up 5 or 6 more spells tonight. Also, I will work on adding the class features descriptions in addition to adding more about Quidditch. I also realized that we don't have 4 people who have been active in this thread only three so my vote for 4 people idea is kind of moot. I'll put magical blasts back in and in playtesting we can see how it works.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Coolio. Though, as 1st level characters we wont have acsess to blasts, correct?

14. - Top - End - #104

RedWizardGuy

Correct at first level all you can really do is shoot some sparks. I also started up the recruitment thread for playtesting.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

OK. Just noticed something. What the heck in the defense bonus?

16. - Top - End - #106

RedWizardGuy

Its a variant on AC. It's found in the srd as class as defense. It really doesn't make sense to use armor for AC and this variant suits nicely I think.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So add it to your AC? Also, it should probably be Knowledge (Dark Arts) I figure that'd include defense.

18. - Top - End - #108

RedWizardGuy

Yes, you add that number to your defense. Also, will make the change to the knowledge DADA to dark arts.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

You should say what level the spells are. Im pretty sure I can't take Sectumsempra

20. - Top - End - #110

RedWizardGuy

I actually don't have a level system in place for being able to learn the spells. What should keep people away is the high DC's. Snape was able to cast more curses by the end of his first year then most people. It would be easy to explain that by just having him choose a lot of curses and having skill focus in the appropriate skill in this case curses- and anti curses. I think its just common sense on part of the player and the DM of course has the final say on whether you can learn the spell. If you don't have access to a book/teacher then you can't learn the spell.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

That makes some sense I suppose. Nothing stopping me from learning Sectum Sempra except that I couldn't pul it off and learning it wouldn't make sense. Cool

22. - Top - End - #112

RedWizardGuy

Basically its GM's call and if it makes sense write it in. If your daddy is a death eater, then yeah you might know it. If not then not so much. Also, I'm working on the website its going to be on google sites.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just thought of something. Shouldn't we get a familiar???

24. - Top - End - #114

Isn't Divination a very rare gift, and not possible to the majority of the population?
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 02:26 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

RedWizardGuy

Divination is a rare gift true divination that is. Basically, I figure that its so obscure, that most people don't put ranks in it. For example Harry might only have 2 or 3 ranks as he never really took to it. On the other hand Lavender Brown who was in the class seemed to be much better at it and might have 5 or 6 ranks.

26. - Top - End - #116

Divination is a rare gift true divination that is. Basically, I figure that its so obscure, that most people don't put ranks in it. For example Harry might only have 2 or 3 ranks as he never really took to it. On the other hand Lavender Brown who was in the class seemed to be much better at it and might have 5 or 6 ranks.
    Well, I think that aptitude for Divination (i.e., the ability to have more than 2 ranks) should be a first level feat. Because it is extremely rare, and no matter how hard someone studies, if they do not have the Sight, they are essentially useless.

27. - Top - End - #117

RedWizardGuy

I can understand having or not having the sight and being able to have visions. I do think that people should still be able to be good at divinations without a feat. So how about a feat, that will only allow people to reach the full potential of divination, by having this feat.

True Seer
    Prerequisites: Must be taken at first level.
    Benefit- You are one of the rare few who posses the Sight. You are able to make prophetic visions. You gain access to the prophetic visions ability, by making a DC 40 check, which is described under Divination. Also you gain a +2 bonus to Divination checks.

Thoughts?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Im not interested in it, but it semes well done. So, familiars? Toads, Cats, Owls?

29. - Top - End - #119

I can understand having or not having the sight and being able to have visions. I do think that people should still be able to be good at divinations without a feat. So how about a feat, that will only allow people to reach the full potential of divination, by having this feat.

True Seer
    Prerequisites: Must be taken at first level.
    Benefit- You are one of the rare few who posses the Sight. You are able to make prophetic visions. You gain access to the prophetic visions ability, by making a DC 40 check, which is described under Divination. Also you gain a +2 bonus to Divination checks.

Thoughts?
    Well... they don't exactly consciously know when- oh wait, that's just Trelawney. So yes, it seems good, except for the bonus. The bonus is EEVVVIILL. And overpowered.

Also, maybe a special clause that states that whenever you go up a level, one of your skill points always goes to Divination?
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 03:33 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120

RedWizardGuy

I don't think the bonus is overpowered, a lot of SRD feats give you a +2 bonus to two selected skills. This one gives you access to one +2 bonus, and grants access to a new application for Divination. However, since you can only take it at first level I think its balanced. I think making you put one in every level penalizes the player too much. Also, drat I forgot about familiars. I think they are just pets and don't receive and special bonuses.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 03:38 PM.