New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Harry Potter D20 Heavy 3.5 Varient Help Needed PEACH

Quote Originally Posted by Imbasel View Post
    I don't think the bonus is overpowered, a lot of SRD feats give you a +2 bonus to two selected skills. This one gives you access to one +2 bonus, and grants access to a new application for Divination. However, since you can only take it at first level I think its balanced. I think making you put one in every level penalizes the player too much. Also, drat I forgot about familiars. I think they are just pets and don't receive and special bonuses.
    But the new application is extremely powerful.

2. - Top - End - #122

RedWizardGuy

I agree with you it is an extremely powerful application of Divination. I still have yet to write Divination so I will just write the DC 40 version.

Prophetic Visions DC 40- You possess the sight, and by using it you can peer into a person's future. Make a DC 40 Divination check. If you succeed you can see into the person's future, and determine their destiny. The amount of information you receive as well as the type, is up to the DM. However, to peer into the future is extremely taxing and difficult on the seer. As such they may only attempt to peer into the future once a month, and they are fatigued for 3 days after using Prophetic Visions.

Thoughts?

3. - Top - End - #123

I agree with you it is an extremely powerful application of Divination. I still have yet to write Divination so I will just write the DC 40 version.

Prophetic Visions DC 40- You possess the sight, and by using it you can peer into a person's future. Make a DC 40 Divination check. If you succeed you can see into the person's future, and determine their destiny. The amount of information you receive as well as the type, is up to the DM. However, to peer into the future is extremely taxing and difficult on the seer. As such they may only attempt to peer into the future once a month, and they are fatigued for 3 days after using Prophetic Visions.

Thoughts?
    Well, Trelawney wasn't tired after she made that prediction in 3rd year, but that might be a different effect...

And maybe there should be a feat called Combat Divination (requisites: True Seeing feat, 16 Cha, 14 Int) that gives you bonuses in combat, because that would be awesome.

4. - Top - End - #124

RedWizardGuy

I think Trelawney is a bit special, in terms of divination. Throughout the series she doesn't seem to be very good at Divination as a teacher. Just my take on it.

Also, I can see how somebody good at Divination could have good combat awareness and so. Yet another feat.

Combat Divination
    Prerequisites: True Seeing feat, 16 Cha, 14 Int:
    Benefits: You are able to peer into the future slightly, to help protect yourself, or to make a blow strike true. As such once per encounter you can gain a +2 bonus to an attack roll. You may also choose to gain a +2 bonus to AC in reaction to an attack.

Thoughts?

5. - Top - End - #125

I think Trelawney is a bit special, in terms of divination. Throughout the series she doesn't seem to be very good at Divination as a teacher. Just my take on it.

Also, I can see how somebody good at Divination could have good combat awareness and so. Yet another feat.

Combat Divination
    Prerequisites: True Seeing feat, 16 Cha, 14 Int:
    Benefits: You are able to peer into the future slightly, to help protect yourself, or to make a blow strike true. As such once per encounter you can gain a +2 bonus to an attack roll. You may also choose to gain a +2 bonus to AC in reaction to an attack.

Thoughts?
    Seems a bit underpowered. Maybe instead of a once per encounter limit, some sort of Divination DC? How about:

Make a Divination check. The result-20 divided by 5 = the bonus you gain to either your AC or any attacks you make this round.

6. - Top - End - #126

RedWizardGuy

Ok, I like the way you made that. I still think there should be a limit as to how many times you can use. How about a number of times equal to 1+ Charisma modifier?

7. - Top - End - #127

Ok, I like the way you made that. I still think there should be a limit as to how many times you can use. How about a number of times equal to 1+ Charisma modifier?
    How about 2+ Cha modifier, but you can get a penalty if you get 15 or below?

Also, a critical fail means that you take a -10 to your D20 attack roll for that round.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Perhaps it is too late to suggest a big change like this, but I feel that the current spells known system is lacking, and this would fix it.

At first level, presumably your first year at Hogwarts, wizards are currently restricted to only 5 spells known. This seems to be an implausibly low amount, as students need to know much more than 5 spells, just to get on in the wizarding world. However, at second level, presumably their second year at Hogwarts, they can only learn 2 new spells, bringing the total to 7. This is an impossibly low amount of spells known, and would drastically slow down the game.

I propose instead adding a variant of the recharge magic system presented in Unearthed Arcana, and changing the absolute cap on spells known to a cap on spells known per school of magic. So instead of a 1st level character only being able to know 5 spells total, she could learn 5 charms, 5 curses, 5 anti-curses, and 5 transfiguration spells. The rules on learning new spells would still apply.

I like the recharge system because it holds true to the HP books, where you don't see the characters spamming the same spell over and over again. With this variant, a certain amount of rounds would need to pass, before you could cast a certain spell again.

I also like this system, because it still allows for specialization in a certain type of magic. If the recharge time was set at a high number, such a 2d4+1 rounds, only wizards who take feats in their specialty field would be able to use their specialized spells often. Here are a few feats that would be available.

Magical Focus:
    Prerequisites: 4 ranks in either Charms, Curses, Anti-Curses, or Transfiguration
    Effect: Reduces the recharge time on casting the same spell again in an encounter to 1d6+1 rounds. This only applies to spells cast from one school of magic. (The school of magic is determined by the taker of the feat, but the taker of the feat must have at least 4 ranks in the desired school.)
    Normal: After casting a spell, a wizard must wait 2d4+1 rounds before casting it again.

Improved Magical Focus:
    Prerequisites: 9 ranks in either Charms, Curses, Anti-Curses, or Transfiguration, Magical Focus in desired school of magic
    Effect: Reduces the recharge time on casting the same spell again in an encounter to 1d4+1 rounds. This only applies to spells cast from one school of magic. (The school of magic is determined by the taker of the feat, but the taker of the feat must have at least 9 ranks in the desired school, and the magical focus feat in that school.)
    Normal: After casting a spell, a wizard must wait 2d4+1 rounds before casting it again.

Greater Magical Focus:
    Prerequisites: 13 ranks in either Charms, Curses, Anti-Curses, or Transfiguration, Improved Magical Focus in desired school of magic
    Effect: Reduces the recharge time on casting the same spell again in an encounter to 1d3+1 rounds. This only applies to spells cast from one school of magic. (The school of magic is determined by the taker of the feat, but the taker of the feat must have at least 13 ranks in the desired school, and the improved magical focus feat in that school.)

Increased Spellcasting:
    Prerequisites: 7 ranks in either Charms, Curses, Anti-Curses, or Transfiguration
    Benefit: You gain an extra 3 spells known in one school of magic. You must have at least 7 ranks in this school of magic.

Example: Harry, a 1st level wizard, knows 5 charms, 4 curses, 2 anti-curses, and 3 transfiguration spells. Normally, after casting a spell from any of these schools, he must wait 2d4+1 rounds before he can cast that spell again. He decides that he likes charms, and decides to specialize in them. So he takes the magical focus feat, specializing in charms. Now, when he casts a charm, he must only wait for 1d6+1 rounds before casting it again.

Harry levels up to 3rd level, but still doesn't think he is good enough at charms. So he takes the increased spellcasting feat, again specializing in charms. Now, he can learn up to 12 charms (base 9 + 3 from feat). But he can still only learn up to 9 spells from the other schools.

I think that this system would work best, though it would currently lead to too many spells being known. So I would change the spells known list to where you start with 4 spells known from each school, gain an additional 2 at second level, and every additional even level, and gain an additional 1 spell known at third level, and every additional odd level. So the spells known chart would go like this.

{table=head]Level|Spells Known per School
    1st|4
    2nd|6
    3rd|7
    4th|9
    5th|10
    6th|12
    And so on...[/table]

Sorry for this wall of text, but I hope I made everything clear. I'm working on some additional spells, but I'll probably put those on a separate post.

9. - Top - End - #129

RedWizardGuy

First, of all don't apologize for the wall of text it helped make your ideas very clear and precise.

In regards to changing the magic system to the way you proposed I'm going to have to say I'm against it. I like the way the system is now, and I think its a little bit too late to implement it.

Your point however, about the spell limit is one I've thought of as well. So how about this. Instead of knowing only 5 spells at first level you can know 5 from each school, (although this will provide little benefit to Transfiguration as even when I make the list more complete it probably won't exceed 8), and you also gain 3 for the spell limit each time you level. This will increase the number of spells you can know in each school by 3. How does that sound?

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

I like your proposal, and I think it will work. I still like the idea of a recharge system, but the current system will probably work. Maybe we'll leave my idea on the back burner for now, and possibly implement it if we see a big problem with the current system when playtesting.

Also, about the low amount of transfiguration spells, I think that could be remedied by making the spells more specific. Currently, you only have two transfiguration spells, but those two spells cover Avifors, Draconifors, Ducklifors, Duro, Incarcifors, Lapifors, Melofors, Snufflefors, Fera Verto, Scribblifors, and many others not mentioned in this source. I might suggest breaking the current two transfiguring spells into many. You don't even need to write them all out, just have it so when players want to transfigure something, you have them specify what they want an object to turn into, set a DC, and have it take up one of their spells known for transfiguration.

11. - Top - End - #131

RedWizardGuy

I'm a bit confused as to exactly how that should be done. Could you please do one Transfiguration spell as a basis for me?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Orc in the Playground

Alright, I'll do two sample ones.

Avifors DC 20- Upon casting, 1 inanimate object determined by the caster turns into a type of bird, also the casters choice. For every point by which the caster's skill check beats the DC, an additional object of the same type can be transfigured into a bird.

Syrinxia DC 10- Upon casting, 1 inanimate object determined by the caster turns into a needle. For every point by which the caster's skill check beats the DC, an additional object of the same type can be transfigured into a needle.

Avifors has a higher DC, because it is making something animate. However, it still has a pretty low DC, because the animated object (a bird) is tiny.

Syrinxia is based off of this spell. It has a very low DC because it is changing an inanimate object into another one, and the object created is also very small.

13. - Top - End - #133

RedWizardGuy

I like this way of doing things. I would however like to keep the size modifier to Transfiguration the same. Do you agree? Also, that means I need to remove duro from the charms list, but I can keep the DC and description the same. Also, I think it should be by every two points not five, but thats just me.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 05:35 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Yes, the size modifer list looks good. Duro is a transfiguration spell, so it shouldn't be in charms anyway. I originally suggested that it should be for every point, but increasing the number of objects transfigured to 1 per 2 points by which the skill check beats the DC looks fine.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedWizardGuy

Ok, cool thanks I will make the necessary changes. Also, I will be working on writing up more stuff tonight.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Question, why do you have to have the True Seer feat to take Combat Divination? Do all practitioners of divination have to be prophets, or could some learn uses of it, without having "the sight"?

Perhaps my objection is due only to me wanting the character I'm creating for the playtest use some divination, but not have the sight, but I believe my point still remains. Thoughts?

17. - Top - End - #137

RedWizardGuy

Sorry, I didn't catch you needed to be a true seer to use that feat, I just read the benefits and copied pasted. I don't think you should need to be a true seer for that. Also, I will be posting rules on Divination as soon as I can, but I've been busy with all the other Harry Potter stuff that needs to be done. I will work as fast and as hard as I can.

18. - Top - End - #138

Sorry, I didn't catch you needed to be a true seer to use that feat, I just read the benefits and copied pasted. I don't think you should need to be a true seer for that. Also, I will be posting rules on Divination as soon as I can, but I've been busy with all the other Harry Potter stuff that needs to be done. I will work as fast and as hard as I can.
    I think that you should be, because it's a rather powerful feat. Also, Combat Divination represents being able to predict your opponent's moves and blocks. If you don't have the Sight, you wouldn't be able to predict them quickly enough...

19. - Top - End - #139

RedWizardGuy

I think having ranks in Divination is alright as are the abilities requirements. I think that those who study Divination will be able to glean small bits of the immediate future. However, they still cannot get a glimpse of the larger universe.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

This feat is at best, balanced, and more probably, underpowered. At first level, even with a Cha score of 20, Skill Focus (Divination), and True Seer or something, you'll have a divination skill modifier of 14. Which means on average, you'll roll a 24, which gives you +1 to attack or AC, 7 rounds out of every encounter. At level 10, you're average roll will be a 34, which gives you +3 to attack or AC, 8 rounds out of every encounter. Plus, there's a big penalty for failing a roll. Doesn't seem too powerful to me.

21. - Top - End - #141

I think having ranks in Divination is alright as are the abilities requirements. I think that those who study Divination will be able to glean small bits of the immediate future. However, they still cannot get a glimpse of the larger universe.
    Fair enough. So how about the Combat Divination bonus cannot exceed 1/6th your class level unless you are a True Seer, in which case the bonus cannot exceed 1/3rd.

22. - Top - End - #142

RedWizardGuy

I think that would make the feat less powerful and underpowered.. I think it works all right as of now.

23. - Top - End - #143

I think that would make the feat less powerful and underpowered.. I think it works all right as of now.
    But it is logical that a True Seer would be much better at Combat Divination. So we need a mechanic to create a specific bonus without also creating a general penalty...

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

I would agree with you Zexion if this was the normal DnD universe with its ever-present magic mart. However, in a HP universe, there are few wondrous items that increase skills, and few spells that increase them either. So there are no cheesy ways to pump your divination score.

If anything, I would suggest changing the formula to (Divination roll - 15 / 5) Instead of the current (Divination roll -20 / 5). This would make it more viable at lower levels.

Edit: I agree with allowing the True Seer feat to give a special bonus to Combat Divination.
    Last edited by Ilriyn; 2010-08-15 at 06:23 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145

RedWizardGuy

You could argue they are better at it because they naturally have a +2 bonus. I'm with Aranii on this one as well.
    Last edited by Imbasel; 2010-08-15 at 06:23 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Orc in the Playground

All the ninjas...

How about a compromise. Maintain the current formula, but if you have the True Seer feat, all bonuses to AC and Attack granted by Combat Divination are increase by 1 or 2.

27. - Top - End - #147

Quote Originally Posted by Aranii View Post
    I would agree with you Zexion if this was the normal DnD universe with its ever-present magic mart. However, in a HP universe, there are few wondrous items that increase skills, and few spells that increase them either. So there are no cheesy ways to pump your divination score.

If anything, I would suggest changing the formula to (Divination roll - 15 / 5) Instead of the current (Divination roll -20 / 5). This would make it more viable at lower levels.

Edit: I agree with allowing the True Seer feat to give a special bonus to Combat Divination.
    But Combat Divination would likely be very rare, and very difficult (because otherwise Divination would be much more respected), and it needs the possibility to go wrong. So maybe give True Seers the roll-15/5, and give non-True Seers the roll-20/5. Problem solved.

EDIT: That is perfect.
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 06:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #148

RedWizardGuy

Ok, lets go with that then. I will edit in the changes in the feat sections.

29. - Top - End - #149

Ok, lets go with that then. I will edit in the changes in the feat sections.
    Great. Now that that's settled, we should make an experimental Harry Potter stat block.

EDIT: And I'm going to draw up a Potions entry for Felix Felicis. Does DC 40 seem alright?
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-08-15 at 06:47 PM.

30. - Top - End - #150

RedWizardGuy

Felix Felicis I always thought could have a DC between 30-40 depending on the benefits. Let me see the effects and I'll tell you what I think. Also, I want to stay away from Harry Potter statblock for a while. He's so incredibly unique that he would require a lot of special rules. Ron and Hermione are a go though.