New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: The thread that started people arguing about the title too much (Random banter #1

And now the name has changes. This is a silly thread indeed.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    ...How does one cuddle mercilessly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Curse your Introbulosity!

2. - Top - End - #212
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The thread that started people arguing about the title too much (Random banter #1

The title's awkward now. Something like "The thread that caused too many arguments about the title" would be a little better.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

3. - Top - End - #213
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Dogmantra View Post
    The title's awkward now. Something like "The thread that caused too many arguments about the title" would be a little better.
    You're right. It wasn't awkward enough. Now the title ends on a preposition.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #214

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now the title ends on a preposition.
    Not an English grammatical rule, never will be.

"For what?" sounds far more formal and awkward than "what for?", for example. "I didn't know who to give it to." is much better than "I didn't know to whom I should give it." There are too many constructions in English that rely on prepositions at the end for this to be a rule.

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put." - Winston Churchill (allegedly)
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-07-25 at 09:14 AM.
    BANG → !
    OH LOOK AT HER/.../YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN/YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN MEAN/RICHARDS

5. - Top - End - #215
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Default Re: The thread that started people arguing about the title too much before (RB #144)

In informal speech, I end sentences like that all the time - never in formal writing though.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

6. - Top - End - #216

Default Re: The thread that started people arguing about the title too much before (RB #144)

The title confuses me a lot now. What does the "before" mean?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Bugbear in the Playground

why don't we ad "because YPU was to stupid to use spelling check before creating it" in there as well?

well actually I could, but I'm not stupid enough to go against the raw man, I'm not that stupid.
    Last edited by YPU; 2010-07-25 at 10:54 AM.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

The name just keeps on changing...
    first 'inside' , now 'before' ...
    I liked the "tuna" one..
    Last edited by Eadin; 2010-07-25 at 11:47 AM.
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

9. - Top - End - #219

Quote Originally Posted by Eadin View Post
    The name just keeps on changing...
    first 'inside' , now 'before' ...
    I likes the "tuna" title...
    The next Random Banter isn't gonna have a title, just to avoid this. Mark my words.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

10. - Top - End - #220

Does the name really matter?

11. - Top - End - #221

I don't think it does, it's just more interesting to talk about then anything else I might have to say ^^

12. - Top - End - #222

sadly, same here ...
    Although I baked a delicious cake this afternoon
    *noms*
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

13. - Top - End - #223

Default Re: Woops - RB - please merge into RB

Quote Originally Posted by Sedracus View Post
    Cookie Monster is one epic camera dodging ninja.

I tried to take a photo of him while we were racing, but he somehow hid behind a tree. While biking at top speed. Despite his unawareness of the fact that I was making the photo.
    Meh. At the UK meetup, I managed to get 15 photos of him, despite his best efforts to evade cameras.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

14. - Top - End - #224

Oh what kind?

15. - Top - End - #225

Chocolate !
    *noms some more*
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

16. - Top - End - #226

Sounds delicious

17. - Top - End - #227

it is
    and it's all mine ! mhuahahahaha

*ahum*
    yeah...
    Peter by Derjuin
    NEXUS characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eadin by Akrim.elf

Catherine by Gulaghar:

18. - Top - End - #228
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    I am disconcerted. Castaras is now facebook friends with a friend of some of my friends. My internet and RL friends link. It's weird.
    Mwahaha!

Meh. At the UK meetup, I managed to get 15 photos of him, despite his best efforts to evade cameras.
    I got quite a few photos of him.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

19. - Top - End - #229

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    As for me, I'm reading a study book and they keep saying "data are" not "data is", GAH!
    Fora. Fora fora. I love these fora. So many fora here to read.

Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

20. - Top - End - #230

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Fora. Fora fora. I love these fora. So many fora here to read.

Don't let Rawhide see this. The correct plural in the sense of an online bulletin board is forums.
    BANG → !

21. - Top - End - #231

Don't let Rawhide see this. The correct plural in the sense of an online bulletin board is forums.
    Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was taking a direct jab at Rawhide.

Though, to be honest, I would like to hear the reasons why "data are" is incorrect. I was always taught that "datum" is singular and "data" are plural. Apparently Rawhide does not agree with my high school/college English teachers.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

22. - Top - End - #232

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb The Troll View Post
    Sorry, I thought it was obvious that I was taking a direct jab at Rawhide.
    Oh, it was obvious. You just do not joke about the serious matter of PLURALISATION.

And I always thought data worked like a "much" noun, that is to say, it's something you would ask "how much" about rather than "how many".
    Last edited by Dogmantra; 2010-07-25 at 12:38 PM.
    BANG → !

23. - Top - End - #233

And I always thought data worked like a "much" noun, that is to say, it's something you would ask "how much" about rather than "how many".
    I've not heard this line of reasoning. Go on.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Titan in the Playground

Whoa! I'm gone for almost two days and we're suddenly eight pages into a new thread. The world is moving to fast for me. Auuuaaauuugh...

ION: It's been raining literally the whole day, and the temperature has dropped from 20 degrees to 10 degrees overnight (degrees Celsius, naturally, not that bulky Fahrenheit scale). A week ago, when I still was at home, it was up to 30 degrees warm. I'm slightly annoyed by this.
    Clouddreamer Teddy by me, high above the world, far beyond its matters...

Spoiler: Banner by Vrythas
    Show

25. - Top - End - #235

Anyone feel like annihilating me in Scrabble?

26. - Top - End - #236

My complaint with the title was that I don't like tuna.

Hey, I had my first GitP related dream! I had 9 PMs in my inbox, and no matter how many times I clicked, I couldn't get more that 2 or 3 open at a time. The guy who is running a game I'm in got banned, and we were scrambling around, trying to find someone to take care of it.

27. - Top - End - #237

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Mwahaha!
    *Shakes fist.* You and your weirding ways!
    What next? Spanner knows my friend who's at Sheffield uni? Archie knows Josephine and/or the Carpenter? Curly met my childhood best friend at Oxford?
    Or I guess life could continue as before.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

28. - Top - End - #238

If you're willing to make the trek up to Newcastle, Gosforth are doing it next year - I will be ioining them and auditioning for the part of Colonel Fairfax, show in April I think.
    :glee!:

Hope you get the part.

I was more referring to the fact you live in Penzance.
    Sadly, my piratical booty is lacking, even though it's more or less where I live. I'm a sad pirate.

Personally, I felt my puns were of a higher standard, and you were the first to stop. Probably because you had to come off the internet, but still.
    I think I'm a little off my pun-game, at least compared to back then. I'm trying to think of one and all my efforts are proving to be fruitless.
    At the time I was a 'conscientious student', so things - unimportant things kept distracting me.
    But luckily I can now concentrate and distill my puns into a collection of stock phrases, iabs and witty repartee.
    That is, should you ever choose to pick up our game again.

Since I think my comment in the last thread got passed over,

Originally posted by Thufir
    I like sopranos and altos equally. Iosephine's high C gives me shivers and giggles.
    Also, I think Curly is the most amazing person in the entire world!!!111!!
    And yeah, alto parts can be a bit bad. Especially in G&S and christmas carols, or anything relatively boring and classical. Or, if the music is more complicated, they end up as the repository for all the leftover notes in the weird chords, like baritones in barbershop. So, parts still odd, and also difficult to sing.
    Don't worry, I reconstructed your quote for you.
    I do like sopranos, it's iust that they can get so screechy. Especially in a choir.
    Iealousy is also a part of it. Honestly, the altos are 'never' heard, and yet can have tricksome parts; iust like you say.
    Oh, for the record, classical can sometimes be boring, but I've never done any. Except a very short song by Elgar. It was two pages long!

Well, I don't think the RB pantheon ever had a God of Cuteness, though I might be misremembering. Getting to be an RB deity is fairly easy. Curly's impressive because she gets proclaimed as a Goddess elsewhere, and also because people basically decided she was a Goddess without her proclaiming herself as one.
    We have Atreyu. Somewhere around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Barbarian View Post
    I wouldnt call not having the sound for se with a silent e is willing. It's not being use to it. It's not their job to "evolve" their language either. You'r really just insulting their culture as I see it.
    . . . .
    *Koorly linguist asplodes*

Uh, that's what cultural exchange and loanwords do anyway. And way to go putting quotation marks around evolve like evolution is some kind of blasphemy. Language grows and changes over time (le gasp!) That they love it so much and aren't handicapped from making the sounds would suggest more that it was a purposeful decision to prevent foreign sounds from leaking into Japanese. I'll need to double check this, but if I'm recalling correctly, the Japanese language has similar entitites overseeing its development (or actively preventing it in some cases) as Continental Spanish and French.
    Exactly!
    All languages evolve!
    Iust over generations. And often between social groups.
    It - I - But -
    If a language doesn't chane it stagnates! L'academie Francaise (pardon my lack of accents, but my dinner is rapidly getting cooler and cooler) assesses every single loan word or borrowing and creates a French equivalent because they want to keep their language pure and free of contamination.
    And because of this the French language know only has an approximation of 60 000 'official' words because they refuse to include any foreign word.
    So now the French have a formal set of vocabulary for anything official i.e. governmental or business letters, and an informal set for everything else in the entire universe.
    I don't like L'academie Francaise (or any similar thing) as it artificially attempts to control and limit a language and its organic and natural progression of evolution.
    They are strangling their own language.
    It's a good thing then that most people ignore the rulings of L'academie except when it comes to formal exams and the like.
    But I still don't like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    I am of the opinion that loanwords should remain loanwords, and that new words should be adapted to the language it's being used in. For example, the way English pronounce words like über or anime, is not the same way they are pronounced in their native language. Loanwords will continue to change pronunciation to fit the language they're immigrating into.
    It's what happens all the time. Iust not so often you'll note it.
    In French you can say, "J'ai recu un email." which is perfectly correct. But in official documents (and all correspondence in a business) you have to say "J'ai recu un courriel." even though the two words mean the exact same thing.
    Furthermore, at least with English (for reasons listed below) we have so many words for everything. 'Cooking' and 'cuisine' mean the same thing, iust in different registers.
    I could go on and on about this, and explain why, but I won't unless asked as I can go on enormous filibusters about this sort of thing.
    Loanwords . . . are always loanwords. Even words which have been in the ENglish language for hundreds of years are still called loanwords. Or borrowings. Or something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Starfols View Post
    It's funny that we're talking about this in English, seeing how many loanwords that has.
    Eh, there's a quote I read somewhere a very long time ago that I loved and often paraphrase.
    The English language is the type of language who will chase other languages down dark alleyways, mug them and steal anything of interest they find and keep it to themselves.
    Generally speaking, most sentences ever written in English will contain at least one loanword, sometimes they'll be obvious, or their pronunciation will have changed to English phonology.
    Nothing wrong with it.

I am disconcerted. Castaras is now facebook friends with a friend of some of my friends. My internet and RL friends link. It's weird.
    Imagine my surprise when College's Husband's Little Brother turned out to be a member of GitP.
    And he'd heard of me, both as my real life name and as Curly. Before we'd even met.

IRN (In Related News):
    Wow. Anything to do with English gets me on a filibuster. Stop feeding the English nerd!

EDIT:
    @Happy: LExulous multiplayer room?
    Give me a few minutes.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-07-25 at 01:25 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!

29. - Top - End - #239

yes, multilayer room,can we play with just the 2 of us?

30. - Top - End - #240

Already in there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!