New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default A Tale Untold IC [Pathfinder]

The sun rises on a nice cloudless day. The birds are chirping, the town guards are sleepily going about their rounds. The halfling merchants all are rising from their slumber in their mobile shops, ready for a day of trading. All in all it is a beautiful summer day in the land of Verduun, a far cry from the chaos and disorder of the gnome raid only a few weeks ago. Signs of battle still show around some parts of town, subtle reminders of those few hours of carnage.

The early morning gives way to late morning and the town square gets rather busy. Merchants hawking their goods, farmers bringing in their crops from the country, locals at the Watering Hole (the local tavern) already inebriated and singing songs.

Today is the day. You and your friends, and new allies, have decided to set off for adventure on this fine day. Ready for whatever awaits you. As you take to the streets, making your way to the town square, everyone seems to smile and wave at you. Some slapping you on your back, and shaking your hand thanking you for your actions during the raid. Others trying to give you gifts of food and drink. Once each of you get there you see the town square is filled with people. All of them coming out to give the heroes of Beaumont a heroes' send off.

Grom, the elder of the town greets you all and says “On behalf of the fine people of Beaumont, please accept this gift as a sign of our gratitude for your actions in the goblin raid. May it make your journey a little easier.” He hands you a plump coin purse, smiling a big toothed grin. This is met with some cheering and a round of applause from the crowd. Opening it you find quite the treasure. One hundred and fifty shiny silvery pieces of platinum gleam up at you. "Would one of you care to say a few words before you depart? I'm sure the town would like to hear a little something."
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-24 at 04:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: A Tale Untold IC [Pathfinder]

Hayden looks over the faces of his companions, feeling a wave of insecurity wash over him hearing Grom's words and catching glance of gleaming platinum. Unsure, but not hearing any of his partymates speaking up, Hayden starts to stammer out "Some of you may know me. Many probably do not. I am a simple man," slowly Hayden finds his voice, "and what I did that day was what had to be done. That you honor my companion and me so..."

Hayden's voice catchs. Sunlight glints of his polished breastplate. Emotions - embarassment, pride, love - flood over him. Stammering again, he continues "... that you honor us so is beyond... Perhaps one of my more eloquent companions should speak." Hayden concludes, he face red.
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

3. - Top - End - #3

Etzeil sighs and walks ahead of his group. His palm glowes purple and his hair starts waving in the wind.
    "I thank all of you people for your generosity. You have all been so kind to us, this day, and the many days we have shared together. It has been our pleasure to be with you, and to fight along you in the Gnomish raids. The raids were a time of hardship for us all, and for me doubly so.The Gnomes that attacked were my own race, my brethren. I thought as I fought with you. Then I remembered all of you. The kindness you gave me. Those Gnomes were no more than thieves, I am not of them, You are my true family. Our true family. I hope that this village stays safe, so that we could one day return home and bring honer to our friends, family, and town. Once again I thank you, and the gods bless this town." Etzeil bows, and rejoins his friends.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cast prestidigitation, wall of text
    Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    With a roar of effort, I make everyone agree with EternalMelon.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

No no no, they've got it all wrong, Johnn Elion thought to himself. He pumps his fist into the air as he booms with a voice too big to have been coming from his wiry frame. "This is just the beginning. We'll be heroes! You'll see. Make sure to be listening for us and our deeds from the bards and sages that travel through. It's only a matter of time now. We will make Beaumont famous!"

Grinning ear to ear, he winks at the baker tsking at him and blows a kiss at the lovely and blushing Avandra. "Hey, Brenton, last chance. Sure you don't want to join us?" He calls out. The young man beside the baker shakes his head slightly in response, choosing to stand firm and make no move toward the group. With a shrug and another fist pump for the group here to send him off, Johnn decides it doesn't hurt to hang just a bit longer in case someone else wants a word. But only a bit...

5. - Top - End - #5

The town gives a round of applause, some giving fists pumps of their own. Grom the elder takes center stage again and raises his hands for silence. "Let us not keep our heroes any longer. They have a long journey ahead of them, and many foes to vanquish." Grom says.

The crowd now dispersing, he returns to the group and begins speaking, "I have your first quest for you. Gizdonk (Gizdonk is the captain of the guards, and a ranger) was able to track the gnomish raiders back to their hideout. I want you to seek it out and rout them from their lair, to make sure their last raid was just that. Finding it will be no trouble, I have just the spell to help you find it." He starts waving his hands, chanting arcane words and with a pop-wheeze a blue glowing line springs forth from each of you, converging into a single line and heading off north out of town. "Follow the trail and it will lead you directly to their lair. I'd also suggest making a few purchases before you leave town. I talked to some of the halfing merchants and they are willing to give you a slight discount, for the heroes of Beaumont." he adds with a wink.

Traulnauk speaks, "Aye, I'd like ta get a wand o' cure light wounds before we 'ead out. I have a feelin' were gunna need it."
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-24 at 02:50 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

RedWizardGuy

"That's a cool trick, Grom. Now when are you going to show me how to do that?" Johnn grins at the elder as he speaks. He sees Grom about to speak in that lecturing kind of way, and quickly excuses himself. "One moment," Johnn motions for everyone to wait as he sees the dispersing crowd. He races up to Avandra and faces her, trying to straighten his wind-blown silver-gray hair as he does so. "Well, we'll probably do some shopping. Wanna join us for a bit before we leave town?"

Before Avandra can respond, Ma steps in between the two. "Now don't you go make the goodbyes harder than it has to. You two had plenty of time last night to say your goodbyes. So git before the group leaves you here and we're stuck with you for the rest of your life. Come along, Avandra." Ma turns to go, hiding the tears that are starting to well up in her eyes. Avandra starts to follow, before turning and running up to Lil Elion and giving him a quick kiss on the cheek. "You be safe now, Lil Johnn, and you come back to us. To me." She does less to hide her tears, and they flow freely down her rosy cheeks as she turns and races to catch up to Ma.

Johnn stands there and watches them wander off, before returning to the group with uncharacteristically slow and sullen steps. However, as soon as he sees the comrades, he hops a bit and gives them a big, if a bit fake, grin. "So, shall we go see what the halflings have for us?" Before the group can respond, Johnn is off and heading toward the merchants.

7. - Top - End - #7

"Aye lad, lets go see wut they got." Traulnauk says as he follows Johnn.

Spoiler
    Show
    They have a varied selection of fine goods. I also decided to give you guys a little more platinum to work with (150 as opposed to 60). If you want something just ask me and I'll tell you if they have it. Grom negotiated a 20% discount for you all.
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-24 at 04:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

Hayden walks off behind Traulnauk towards the haflings wondering to himself just what might be useful to us...
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

9. - Top - End - #9

Hayden wanders amongst the hafling merchants running scenarios over in his head, thinking about ambush tactics and battle flow. What here might be useful when we storm their lair, I wonder?... He stops every so often to examine a fine blade or a queer smelling vial of liquid.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm planning on flipping through the PFHB and looking for some useful sundries, but have not yet had the chance.
    Last edited by noggenfogger; 2010-07-26 at 12:14 AM.
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

As the group meets with the halfling merchants, Johnn asks about the wand of curing healer-man Traulnauk was commenting about. "I don't know that there's much more we'd need. I've got my backpack chokeful of goodies already." He looks to his comrades to see if there's anything here that interests them.

11. - Top - End - #11

"Lookit here, here be the wand I wanted lads. Only six 'undred gold too. Whud ya say? Shall we get it?" Traulnauk says, holding it up questionably.

12. - Top - End - #12

Hayden unconciously rubs the long scar on his chest then looks over at Traulnauk and says "I'm all for it."

Hayden resumes examining vials of liquid. Picking up one, he asks the shop keeper, "Is this a potion of Mage Armor?"
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

13. - Top - End - #13

"Don't bother with those. I'll get some sort of wand for that,"Etzeil says. He walks over to the wands and picks a couple up, inspecting them. Then putting them all but two down looking satisfied. "Ill take these two, a wand of mage armor, and one of sleep."
    Traa-tan by Demastro

14. - Top - End - #14

Traulnauk counts out the 60 platinum pieces and hands them to the halfling, taking the wand and tucking it into his belt.

"That will be twelve hundred GP, hot stuff." says the female halfling, winking at Etzeil.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Well you must be looking in a mirror cause the only 'hot stuff' I see is you" Etzeil smiles his most dashing smile."Charm Person." He says as his palm and ring glow purple as he casts his spell.
    Spoiler
    Show
    That seemed a clunky way to word spell casting
    Cast one Charm Person.
    Traa-tan by Demastro

16. - Top - End - #16

The halfling smiles at you while you talk, a flirtatious grin on her face. She blushes and looks away at your comment. Her expression turns less than pleasant when you cast charm person, she clearly made her will save. She snatches back the wands and then points the wand of sleep at Etzeil, activating it. Suddenly your eyes grow heavy and you just... wanna... lay... down...

Soon enough Etzeil is curled up on the ground, snoozing away. "Try and use magic on me! Hero of Beaumont. Bah! Teach me to trust a gnome. Get him out of here. Now!" she yells, as you wonder how such a small halfling can have such a loud and shrill voice.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rolled your save for you milky, and I got a natural one Just thought I'd move things along and roll it myself. For the most part you will be rolling your own saves.
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-27 at 12:33 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

RedWizardGuy

Great. What a nice way to start our heroic journey. He quickly moves to lead the merchant aside, trying to smooth things over. With his best smile aimed at the halfling, Lil Elion palms a couple platinum pieces and passes it over surreptitiously. "That was really stupid of him. Please don't mind him. We're trying to teach him better manners. Really. Sorry for making you waste a bit of the wand to teach him the lesson. And a lesson he well needed, too. Tell you what. Just tell Ma over at the bakery shop Lil Elion owes you one, and she'll set you up with some of the best bread you'll have ever tasted." With a grin and a wink, he adds in a whisper, "and if you see the most lovely assistant Avandra there, you tell her Lil Elion can't wait to come back and sweep her off her feet. I'll really owe you one then."

Then, stepping back and rejoining the group, Johnn picks Etzeil and hefts him onto a shoulder. "Again, sorry for his poor manners. No hard feelings, eh?" Turning to the group, he tries to be nonchalant about it all. "Let's get going. I'd hate to dally to long and have the raiders move on somewhere else." With quick and easy strides, Johnn (and Etzeil) are off in the direction of the raiders as the Elder's spell pointed.
    Last edited by VinGoodman; 2010-07-27 at 12:33 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

She snorts at you dismissively and waves her hand at you in a 'get out of here' motion.

With that little fiasco behind you all you finally make your way towards the edge of town, following the blue glowing line. The day is still a nice day, but off in the distance you can see storm clouds moving in and hear the rumble of thunder. The walk is fairly long, but it is easy going.

Its been two hours now and the rain starts to fall, the lightning lighting up the sky and the thunder vibrating your ribcage. You start to think now that it probably would of been a good idea to ask how far it was... Soon enough though you come upon a clearing next to a cliff. About 100 feet away two half-ogres stand guard outside a rough hewn (is that even a word? oh well you get what i mean) stone doorway. They don't seem to have noticed you yet.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Lil Elion looks at his friends. "Well, here goes nothing." Johnn loads up his sling and moves to the left a bit while keeping out of sight. He rubs the ring for luck as he does so, invoking the ring in the process and imbuing himself with a touch of extra protection.

Once he's sure the guards are still unaware of him, Lil Elion grins, steps out into the clear, fires a slingshot at the hammer-wielding half-ogre, and starts to reload the sling. Come on...come and get me...

Spoiler
    Show
    Prep (move and load) while keeping out of sight. Then, surprise round (standard action only): 5' step (free), shot (standard) and "start to reload sling" (free-he's not actually loading, just trying to look like he's about to).

Attack [roll]1d20+7-2[/roll] (-2 range penalty)
    Damage (1d4+4)[6]

Initiative (1d20+5)[9]

20. - Top - End - #20

RedWizardGuy

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oops. Rerolling the Attack roll.

Attack [roll0]

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

ooc
    Spoiler
    Show
    Oops AGAIN. Rerolling the Attack roll.

Attack (1d20+5)[7]

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    The surprise round is still going for everyone else. Feel free to move forward or take any other actions you want. Like taking pot shots at them. After all your actions we shall move forward.

Traulnauk shakes his head at Lil Johnn as he moves forward. Shrugging he takes out his javelin and sends one flying at the other half-ogre. "For the All-Father!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+5)[25]
    Damage (1d6+3)[8]
    You guys won't believe it, but I just rolled instant death.

Traulnauk's aim was true. The javelin flies through the air, and catches the unaware half-ogre in the face, killing him instantly and pinning him up against the cliff face.

The sling bullet whizzes wide of its intended target and hits the cliff face, chipping off some rocks and making an audible crack-smack. The half-ogre wielding the hammer snaps to attention, surveying the tree line and spots Elion. "Adventurers! Alert command. I'll take care of these foolish PCs." he yells out to his companion, as he hefts his large spiked hammer into his hands. He looks to his left, seeing his companion skewered through the face he mutters some curses in gnomish then takes a five foot step to the right and retreats back into the corridor.
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-27 at 04:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hayden draws his sword and readies his shield, then starts running towards the remaining half-orge screaming wildly.
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

24. - Top - End - #24

Everyone can act normally now. There is no combat as of yet. Hammer time ogre retreated back into the corridor.

25. - Top - End - #25

Traulnauk strolls up to the half-ogre that is kindly holding his javelin for him, but is unable to retrieve it since the half-ogre stood at nearly seven feet tall. "Ach, little help laddies. Lilith dinna see fit ta bestow me wit lengthery limbs." says Traulnauk. Then, to whoever so kindly helps him out he adds "Ahh thank ya laddy." After wiping off the brains and blood, Traulnauk replaces the javelin. Walking over to the entrance, you peer inside the surprisingly dark corridor and cannot see a thing. You hear the half-ogre shouting in gnomish, telling his comrades to get their rears in gear, the PCs are here.

Darkvision
    Spoiler
    Show
    Those with darkvision can see the half-ogre with the hammer, about sixty feet in. His back is turned and he is waving his free hand, trying to rally his comrades.
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-27 at 09:31 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Seeing the second orge flee, Hayden stops screaming and sheaths his sword. Once at the orges with Traulnauk, he pulls the javelin from the orge and hads it to him. "Here you go."

Hearing the orge's shout he turns to his companions and asks "So, wait out here, or charge in? I vote we wait out here - the door should give us a bit of a choke point to work with."
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

Johnn makes his way to the entrance and curses at the darkness of the cave. "Why don't they have torches to light the way in there?"

Itching to get in there and mix it up but stayed by the inability to see into the cave, Lil Johnn sighs. "Keep an eye out and let me know if you see anyone coming out, will ya?" He begins rummaging through the fallen ogre, seeing if he has anything interesting on him.

28. - Top - End - #28

"They may not wanna come out though laddy. We're the only ones that wanna git in. I think I canna help with the inability to see though." Traulnauk says as he pulls out a couple javelins. "Light." he says, then the javelins start glowing. He takes a few steps inside the corridor and hurls the javelins in quick secession.

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[16]
    (1d20+5)[17]
    (1d6+3)[5]
    (1d6+3)[4]

The two javelins fly through the air, one catching the half-ogre in the shoulder the other travels past and lodges itself in the wall. The half-ogre yells in pain and charges at Traulnauk, the light from the javelins making the shadows dance sporadically. Traulnauk easily dodges the slow but powerful downward smash.

Initiative everybody.

Lil Johnn
    Spoiler
    Show
    You find amongst the half-ogres belongings a single blue-purple potion, sixteen gold pieces, twenty-three silver pieces and thirteen copper pieces. There are also two finely made kukris.
    Last edited by Goblinsplitter; 2010-07-28 at 12:58 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Hayden draws his sword as he sees the javelin go flying.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative (1d20+3)[20]
    Current characters:

Spoiler
    Show

None.

30. - Top - End - #30

RedWizardGuy

"Interesting...Let's see what els...HEY!" Johnn reacts to the charging ogre as his hands reach for the falchion. Quicker than the eye can see, the hand blurs, and the falchion is before him and poised to strike.