New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Capt. Ido learns to steal thread ideas (and also draw)!

Hey all, Ido here!

I'm not totally sure how to start this off, so forgive me if I ramble a bit at first. I've always loved to draw and "do arty things". It was one of my first loves growing up, my folks would always find me up in my room doodling with my crayons or taping random bits of construction paper together. My decision on which high school I went to was majorly influenced by the quality of their art program! But, by that point the usual things had already begun - comparing myself to other artists, the supposed lack of time, and even telling myself that art wasn't worth pursuing as a full time endeavor, that I would be better leaving it as a hobby and taking on a science to get the bills actually paid.

Well, here I am, years later, with only marginal improvement picked up from various books here and there, and lots of doodling in the margins of my CS textbooks. I'm pretty tired of it, and I've been trying for the longest time to get myself into the habit of regularly drawing. Each time I last for maybe two days, then I go back to my various timesinks that frankly at the end of they day mean nothing.

Now I've joined here and have been having a good time, and I saw Thanqol's thread. This, quite frankly, is amazing. I've been reading through it and have been blown away at the progress he's been making and all the great advice he's been given. I'm not here to take away from that, not in the least bit. I'm just glad to see that such a concept works and is working. I don't expect and I won't get offended if people don't give me critiques on my style and lack thereof, that's okay. What I am absolutely the most interested in is the accountability that this can be the motivation I need to sit my lazy flank down and DRAW SOMETHING. I don't ask for anyone to hold my hand through this - though all advice and help is defintely welcome - instead I do ask that I be given as hard a time as possible if I go a full day without posting something, anything :)

My goal on a day to day basis here, is to spend at least an hour drawing, and then post it. I don't really know how much or how big these will be, but I suppose that consistency can't be a bad thing, so I at least will try for this A4 size and see what happens. Subject-wise I'm not sure, I'm just going to wing it there too. Suggestions are fine, as I bet I'll be tapped for ideas initially.

My drawing ability I honestly can't tell you exactly where it lies. I'm largely self taught, with a few classes in the basics ages ago. I can draw one or two things pretty well, and everything else is a crapshoot. I can say that shading and perspective are concepts which elude me, and I seem to have a love affair with drawing things in profile as a result.

The end goal of this is to simply learn to draw better, and maybe someday I won't hate my own work as badly when I see it the next day. Maybe, if I'm really daring, I might try my hand at animating, which feels like a more distant goal than this one. We'll see, we'll see.

So, here goes nothing! Thanks for reading my wall of text :p

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Capt. Ido learns to steal thread ideas (and also draw)!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    Thanks for reading my wall of text :p
    No trouble, it even had paragraphs you know. Now go wild.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

This is totally not me just being too lazy to click 'subscribe'
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright then... show us your moves.
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Elder Tsofu View Post
    No trouble, it even had paragraphs you know. Now go wild.
    Haha, I try to keep my tl;drs at least MARGINALLY legible. I even checked my spelling!

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    This is totally not me just being too lazy to click 'subscribe'
    Fair enough! I never actually subscribe to anything either

Quote Originally Posted by Domochevsky View Post
    Alright then... show us your moves.
    Good idea!

I just went back and dug up some of my drawings from the last few months. I'll see if I can get something actually drawn tonight for a Day 0, but I'll start for real tomorrow evening when I get off from work.

Here goes... nothing? Spoiler'd for images and explanations:
    Spoiler
    Show

First off, all of these are digital. My scanner hasn't worked in ages, but I have had access to tablets. Besides, I've found that I'm more likely to finish something when it's digital and I have the freedom to change things as much as I want or make save states. So here we go! Pictures are oldest to newest:

Spoiler
    Show

This one is not quite a year and a half old. It's a character concept I've kicked around for a while, but haven't nailed down yet. Meh, it is what it is. Drawn on an HP tablet laptop, paint.net.

Spoiler
    Show

Got a job, got a wacom. This is the first thing I really did on it. Took a subject request on twitter, a friend said meowth so here you go. Thick lines are thick. Also wobbly.
    Drawn on tablet, in photoshop elements, as are the rest.

Spoiler
    Show

This is shortly after I discovered the MLP:FiM craze, and sometime before I learned to go to bed instead of watching it at all hours.

Spoiler
    Show

Tablet test. Turns on that one friend is really quick on the draw. Also likes meowths.

Spoiler
    Show

More tablet tests. About an hour put into this, sadly.

Spoiler
    Show

oh sweet mercy it's pony fanart what have I become

Spoiler
    Show

Rather long comic I posted on twitter. Spent about a week working on this. It's cartoony and silly, but in all honesty is probably the best thing I've put out in about a year, and the best thing on my tablet to date.

And that's that for now! More to come...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Neat! Good to see that something Thanqol wanted has come from his thread. Glad to have you aboard the SS Improvement, captain.

EDIT: also, I think I can actually start on critiquery!
    The first example you gave, that really cool warforged looking thing? The composition (of the figure, not the picture, just as a CMA) looks like the body is just hanging from the head. The posture, the skinniness, they all point or a sort of hang.
    Sadly, I can't make words that explain how to fix it happen... Except tryto build a better mental base for the posture, I guess. If you draw the whole thin with an idea of height and grounding, it will show through in the final product, despite being able to draw the floor wherever you want it.

One of my biggest fears as a kid. Someone would look at a drawing of a guy standing Capt. Morgan style, and accuse me of just drawing the ground up to his foot. I think I was fifteen before I realized he would only be standin like that of there were something for the foot to rest up on XD
    Last edited by SiuiS; 2011-08-28 at 07:14 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

...you're right, the last comic is indeed the best thing in that entire load.

Still, you're already pretty far. Should allow for concrete help with things you'll draw up daily from now on. (And don't you worry, we'll nag you if you don't. )

Man, i probably should do something like this myself... but then again, there's GenGame. I'm pretty broke for any other ideas though.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

Hey, check out my site. (It has interactive comics, stories and coding efforts.)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Colossus in the Playground

Hey all, Ido here!

Now I've joined here and have been having a good time, and I saw Thanqol's thread. This, quite frankly, is amazing. I've been reading through it and have been blown away at the progress he's been making and all the great advice he's been given. I'm not here to take away from that, not in the least bit. I'm just glad to see that such a concept works and is working.
    Such a concept does work. I actually originally broke my original laziness habit many, many months back by deciding to write a full length story and make it public, which would in turn make sure I finished it. It was like that story levelled me up or something because ever since I've been more productive than I've ever been in my life.

My goal on a day to day basis here, is to spend at least an hour drawing, and then post it. I don't really know how much or how big these will be, but I suppose that consistency can't be a bad thing, so I at least will try for this A4 size and see what happens. Subject-wise I'm not sure, I'm just going to wing it there too. Suggestions are fine, as I bet I'll be tapped for ideas initially.
    My tips on this regard are to make it as easy for yourself as you possibly can. Make one rule: Draw one thing every day, regardless of quality or effort. Having the option to draw a bunch of scribbles and throw it up here is a great mental reassurance on days you're feeling mentally drained, and guilt at doing a bunch of shoddy pieces in a row will naturally urge you to recompense with a more detailed piece later.

My drawing ability I honestly can't tell you exactly where it lies. I'm largely self taught, with a few classes in the basics ages ago. I can draw one or two things pretty well, and everything else is a crapshoot. I can say that shading and perspective are concepts which elude me, and I seem to have a love affair with drawing things in profile as a result.
    Shading and perspective are haaaaaaaard which is why they're absolutely worth learning!

The end goal of this is to simply learn to draw better, and maybe someday I won't hate my own work as badly when I see it the next day. Maybe, if I'm really daring, I might try my hand at animating, which feels like a more distant goal than this one. We'll see, we'll see.

So, here goes nothing! Thanks for reading my wall of text :p
    A laudable goal, and one I shall be following with interest!

Here's my own personal tips and recommendations, born of my experience with the same project:

1) Try something new every day

Doesn't matter what, doesn't matter if it's a disaster, doesn't matter if you're just drawing a different style of hat to what you normally do. But take one step outside your comfort zone and see what it's like. Those moments of sitting down, saying to yourself "I've got no idea how to do this" and then fiddling with a bunch of random settings and features to try and figure out how to do it will teach you more than anything else.

2) Aim for the stars

Pick up ridiculously ambitious projects. Genres and styles of art you've never considered or contemplated before. Look at the stuff you consider to be impossibly good and see how close you can get to it. Even if you don't hit the mark, thinking about how to get there will help a lot.

3) Style is a trap

One of the things I'm focusing on is avoiding developing a style. I want to get broad competence in art in general so I can pick the right materials for the job, not to do what I know. I have a very clear idea of the style I want to one day emulate, and if I'd spent the past 100 days working entirely on that style I might be there/close by now through mimicry if nothing else, but I'd be a lot worse off overall. I only want to learn that style when it's a choice and not a trap.

4) Don't build a buffer

Those are bonus pictures, not a buffer. I'm actually two days ahead due to complexity.

And, as you asked for subject matter, have some challenges!

- Draw a picture using only various shades of yellow
    - Draw an optical illusion
    - Draw someone with Superman's body type
    - Draw a rageface

Good luck! STEALIN MAH IDEAS
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-08-28 at 07:20 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Neat! Good to see that something Thanqol wanted has come from his thread. Glad to have you aboard the SS Improvement, captain.
    Glad to be aboard![/salute]

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    EDIT: also, I think I can actually start on critiquery!
    The first example you gave, that really cool warforged looking thing? The composition (of the figure, not the picture, just as a CMA) looks like the body is just hanging from the head. The posture, the skinniness, they all point or a sort of hang.
    Sadly, I can't make words that explain how to fix it happen... Except tryto build a better mental base for the posture, I guess. If you draw the whole thin with an idea of height and grounding, it will show through in the final product, despite being able to draw the floor wherever you want it.

One of my biggest fears as a kid. Someone would look at a drawing of a guy standing Capt. Morgan style, and accuse me of just drawing the ground up to his foot. I think I was fifteen before I realized he would only be standin like that of there were something for the foot to rest up on XD
    Hrmm, yeah you're right he does look kind of like that. Although... well haha, it's funny now I'm not sure if that's not how it's supposed to look. I did draw it from the head down though, that is the only part of its design that I have down solid. The rest... ehhh, well I know how it's supposed to work, but not how that would look as a finished product. But that's less important than how it's actually drawn, and probably another story for another thread haha. (Fun fact: I started working on this guy before I got into D&D, or had even heard of warforged. I was so increadibly happy to hear about them when I did, that's going to help me a lot if I try and port this guy into a D&D system, which knowing me I probably will.)

...you're right, the last comic is indeed the best thing in that entire load.

Still, you're already pretty far. Should allow for concrete help with things you'll draw up daily from now on. (And don't you worry, we'll nag you if you don't. )

Man, i probably should do something like this myself... but then again, there's GenGame. I'm pretty broke for any other ideas though.)
    Well thank you! That comic was pretty fun to draw :p A nice trip into the "heck, just be silly" side of things.

Yeah, I guess I feel like I do have some sort of a foundation already. It just, to me, feels rather shaky, and can certainly do with some reinforcing! Thanks for the nagging, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Such a concept does work. I actually originally broke my original laziness habit many, many months back by deciding to write a full length story and make it public, which would in turn make sure I finished it. It was like that story levelled me up or something because ever since I've been more productive than I've ever been in my life.

My tips on this regard are to make it as easy for yourself as you possibly can. Make one rule: Draw one thing every day, regardless of quality or effort. Having the option to draw a bunch of scribbles and throw it up here is a great mental reassurance on days you're feeling mentally drained, and guilt at doing a bunch of shoddy pieces in a row will naturally urge you to recompense with a more detailed piece later.
    Noted! That probably for the best, too. My creativity juices aren't so hot right now, so I foresee a few rough days before I get into the swing of it.

A laudable goal, and one I shall be following with interest!
    You and me both!

Here's my own personal tips and recommendations, born of my experience with the same project:

1) Try something new every day

Doesn't matter what, doesn't matter if it's a disaster, doesn't matter if you're just drawing a different style of hat to what you normally do. But take one step outside your comfort zone and see what it's like. Those moments of sitting down, saying to yourself "I've got no idea how to do this" and then fiddling with a bunch of random settings and features to try and figure out how to do it will teach you more than anything else.

2) Aim for the stars

Pick up ridiculously ambitious projects. Genres and styles of art you've never considered or contemplated before. Look at the stuff you consider to be impossibly good and see how close you can get to it. Even if you don't hit the mark, thinking about how to get there will help a lot.

3) Style is a trap

One of the things I'm focusing on is avoiding developing a style. I want to get broad competence in art in general so I can pick the right materials for the job, not to do what I know. I have a very clear idea of the style I want to one day emulate, and if I'd spent the past 100 days working entirely on that style I might be there/close by now through mimicry if nothing else, but I'd be a lot worse off overall. I only want to learn that style when it's a choice and not a trap.

4) Don't build a buffer

Those are bonus pictures, not a buffer. I'm actually two days ahead due to complexity.

And, as you asked for subject matter, have some challenges!

- Draw a picture using only various shades of yellow
    - Draw an optical illusion
    - Draw someone with Superman's body type
    - Draw a rageface

Good luck! STEALIN MAH IDEAS
    Good advice, all of it! Buh, I wish I could think of something more to say back, but thanks! It's a lot to take in, but I just have to take this one day at a time :)

Day 1 drawing to come tonight! I have to stay late at work this week, so this first week's going to be on the later side of things (East Coast time).

10. - Top - End - #10

Here we are it's

Day 1 - The old standard

Spoiler
    Show

Quick note, I drew this at A4, 300dpi before remembering that's HUGE. So here it is resized to same dimensions but at 72dpi for more forum-friendly viewing.

This is a sort of benchmark drawing that seems to find itself in my sketchbooks time and time again over the years. Slight variations, but always the tree and the hill. I think, well it should be interesting when I decide to do this again later, which I know I'll end up doing at some point down the line.

Time spent: 1 hour, 10 minutes
    Music: Equestria Radio

11. - Top - End - #11

Amateur Advice Hour!

I do like the tree, and the scribble-leaves in concept, but I have concern with it's roots. The ground around it is perfectly flat and the tree doesn't really have much interaction with it. The tree and the ground around it should merge more, and spread out more, because it looks kinda top heavy and unsupported.

The base image is a wonderfully peaceful one and I look forwards to seeing future versions.

12. - Top - End - #12

Amateur Advice Hour!

I do like the tree, and the scribble-leaves in concept, but I have concern with it's roots. The ground around it is perfectly flat and the tree doesn't really have much interaction with it. The tree and the ground around it should merge more, and spread out more, because it looks kinda top heavy and unsupported.

The base image is a wonderfully peaceful one and I look forwards to seeing future versions.
    Mmm yes, the scribble leaves are the only way that I can make leaves in black and white, without spending a year obsessively drawing every individual leaf.

The roots... yeah you're definitely right, it looks awful flat. Hrm... Good call on making it spread out, I never know how to draw the base >_>

13. - Top - End - #13

I love the android! the stuff you free drew of you at the computer, ect, is well done . The stuff where you are trying to copy is... enh. Try imagining the character, and then drawing it (thats more for the heavy then meowth, ) rather than looking at an image.

Ballsy thread! I'll keep my eye out for it, I like your cartooning style!

as for the tree and hill, the hidden foot is too long, (the unhidden part, obviously. ) and, the join between the torso looks weird. he looks like a torso sitting on a chair, cut off suddenly and stuck to reclining legs, rather than looking like a leanback. I have no idea how to fix it though, my own attempts look the same.
    Last edited by leakingpen; 2011-08-30 at 11:57 AM. Reason: new posts i missed.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Day 1 - biggest issue is that the pose is physically impossible for a normal person to get into.
    Basically if you have your hand (or wrist) in your knee you need to have the other arm straight to be supporting the body (see here).

If the elbow is supporting the stomach should be just about horizontal, with the chest at 45 degrees or so, which I think means the legs are fractionally short.

The left arm looks a bit long. It could be the right length but need foreshortening to make it wrong so it looks right.

I can't draw leaves, so I can't comment on them, but the tree itself is very uniform in terms of angles and thicknesses etc.

That said, the hands are very good, and the linework and form is solid
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    I love the android! the stuff you free drew of you at the computer, ect, is well done . The stuff where you are trying to copy is... enh. Try imagining the character, and then drawing it (thats more for the heavy then meowth, ) rather than looking at an image.

Ballsy thread! I'll keep my eye out for it, I like your cartooning style!

as for the tree and hill, the hidden foot is too long, (the unhidden part, obviously. ) and, the join between the torso looks weird. he looks like a torso sitting on a chair, cut off suddenly and stuck to reclining legs, rather than looking like a leanback. I have no idea how to fix it though, my own attempts look the same.
    Glad you like the android! He's fun to draw, I keep redoing it each time I draw it, haha. The head's about the same each time, though I think it gets smoother as I go... hmmm...

Yeah, the things that are supposed to *look* like something are always off for me. That's something I need to work on for sure, drawing something, and have that something be recognizable. Oh, also I had JUST got my tablet like the day before, so it was a bit wobblier than usual. Not much of an excuse, but at least vaguely reasonable? Still meh at the end of the day, so there you go!

Tree and hill guy, yeah good eye on the feet, that's all wonky. His pose though.. yeah he must have some wicked strong abs to pull that lean off comfortably >_>;;

Thanks for the advice! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Zorg View Post
    Day 1 - biggest issue is that the pose is physically impossible for a normal person to get into.
    Basically if you have your hand (or wrist) in your knee you need to have the other arm straight to be supporting the body (see here).

If the elbow is supporting the stomach should be just about horizontal, with the chest at 45 degrees or so, which I think means the legs are fractionally short.

The left arm looks a bit long. It could be the right length but need foreshortening to make it wrong so it looks right.

I can't draw leaves, so I can't comment on them, but the tree itself is very uniform in terms of angles and thicknesses etc.

That said, the hands are very good, and the linework and form is solid
    Yeah, when I did up that pose I thought "Yeah, nailed it!" Then I finished and realized that nope, no I did not. Unless that guy's doing some sort of an ab workout or something, which I'm pretty sure he's not... Thanks so much for the reference picture though, I could NOT for the life of me figure how to place that right arm. Just went for it, and I missed

Legs, yeah I probably always make legs on the squatty side when I make them, I'll stick it out and stretch them next time.

Left arm is TOTALLY too long, I was wondering if someone would say that ^^;; I wanted to cheat and lasso tool the arm shorter, but that wouldn't have been right. Plus I like that hand too much

Pretty sure I can't draw leaves either, but it makes for an interesting effect at the least! Fills up the space better than an outline alone I like to think. Glad the trunk works! Trees are... surprisingly tricky to make look like trees. Thanks about the linework too! I tend to get sloppy if I'm not careful. Need to stay clean!

Just got this down to the wire, but here we go!

Day 2 - Hand Jive

Spoiler
    Show

Drew my drawing hand, while drawing. We need to go deeper?

Time spent: 45 minutes
    Tunes: Renard - Good To Know You'll Be There
    Yes, that's how I hold a pencil and yeah, I'm aware that somebody out there is probably having an aneurism over it >_>

16. - Top - End - #16

Day 2 - Hand Jive
    You've got the grip I started drawing with! I was told to break it and the process of doing so was the weirdest thing. It's well and truly gone by this point, happily.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

...i have never seen this kind of grip before. How does that work for anything?

(Also, you're left handed? Peculiar.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18

...i have never seen this kind of grip before. How does that work for anything?

(Also, you're left handed? Peculiar.)
    It works pretty well, thank you! I rocked that grip in the first grade and my entire education, my parents, and dozens of teachers haven't been able to break me of it yet

I'm not totally sure how it works, it's one of those things where if I think about it the whole thing falls apart, hehe. Pretty much all the fingers are involved to some extent.
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-08-31 at 12:00 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

if im piecing together how you hold the pencil correctly, the thumb is too long, probably too skinny as well. it looks like a shortened pointer.

the bottom line for the middle finger and the top line for the ring finger, to the left of the pen, look wrong. Looking at my own hand in that position, i can see how the ffingers bend behind the pen, and it looks like you probably have a steep curve of flesh down to the knuckle (holmesian says, you've lost a decent amount of weight in the last 6 months, or, youve lost a lot of weight in the past, and gained some of it back in the last six months.)

so the drawing is probably very photoaccurate in that regards, but it LOOKS wrong. I'd flatten the bottom line middle finger out, so it doesn't curve in, and id drop the top line for the ring finger down about as much as the pen cord is wide, so it looks less awkward.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

20. - Top - End - #20

It works pretty well, thank you! I rocked that grip in the first grade and my entire education, my parents, and dozens of teachers haven't been able to break me of it yet

I'm not totally sure how it works, it's one of those things where if I think about it the whole thing falls apart, hehe. Pretty much all the fingers are involved to some extent.
    Again, I held that grip for 21 years of my natural life and broke it at like day 6 of my thread. It was the weirdest thing but in retrospect I consider it worth it. It's easier to pull off than you might expect if you concentrate on it for a few days.

Here's the page that'll explain why.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Have to say Ido, after a day of wrestling with irritating thing after irritating thing, seeing this thread made my day. Keep at it, my good Captain, keep at it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, although as a downright terrible artist myself, I'm not sure how much advice I'll be able to give. I'll mostly just sit in the back and offer the occasional "woo hoo!"
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

22. - Top - End - #22

Today was a little crazy, so tonight's drawing is to help me tank up on some

Day 3 - Serenity
    Spoiler
    Show

Page 1, Ido makes a bad pun.

Page 2, people and objects.

This turned out pretty well! All the pieces actually got near each other, save the t-rex eating his arm bit there.

***BEFORE YOU UNSPOIL***
    Quick rundown: tonight I had a video night scheduled with some friends, and so I decided to bring my sketchbook along for the ride and draw what I saw on the screen. Turns out it was a lot darker than I thought, so I decided to go with quick fast sketches for what was going on at the time RIGHT that instant, and see if I could draw it without being able to see the paper. Hand eye coordination, I guess you'd call it? Plus lots of interesting things to draw.

edit:SWEET GENIUS those pictures are huge! Erm. I'm sorry about that... Tonight I have also learned that I should find a way to resize my cameraphone shots, and my bb code-fu is subpar at the moment.....

Double edit for replies:
    Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    if im piecing together how you hold the pencil correctly, the thumb is too long, probably too skinny as well. it looks like a shortened pointer.

the bottom line for the middle finger and the top line for the ring finger, to the left of the pen, look wrong. Looking at my own hand in that position, i can see how the ffingers bend behind the pen, and it looks like you probably have a steep curve of flesh down to the knuckle (holmesian says, you've lost a decent amount of weight in the last 6 months, or, youve lost a lot of weight in the past, and gained some of it back in the last six months.)

so the drawing is probably very photoaccurate in that regards, but it LOOKS wrong. I'd flatten the bottom line middle finger out, so it doesn't curve in, and id drop the top line for the ring finger down about as much as the pen cord is wide, so it looks less awkward.
    I'm pretty tired, but I agree with pretty much everything you said, so Ima say yes

Again, I held that grip for 21 years of my natural life and broke it at like day 6 of my thread. It was the weirdest thing but in retrospect I consider it worth it. It's easier to pull off than you might expect if you concentrate on it for a few days.

Here's the page that'll explain why.
    I'm pretty sure by this point in time, I'm using this grip (which, hilariously, looks kind of like an "inverted brush grip" from that site) less as a way to hold it, but more of a personal statement and a desire to draw well despite holding it in a rather bizarre way. It is interesting though, that that page does explain why I prefer to draw really small things, which is because my fingers go more or less all the way to the tip itself.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Have to say Ido, after a day of wrestling with irritating thing after irritating thing, seeing this thread made my day. Keep at it, my good Captain, keep at it.

I'll be keeping an eye on this, although as a downright terrible artist myself, I'm not sure how much advice I'll be able to give. I'll mostly just sit in the back and offer the occasional "woo hoo!"
    Thanks! The more eyes that see this, the more badly I'll feel if I should ever unfortunately miss an update! Motivation, baybee
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-08-31 at 11:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23

edit:SWEET GENIUS those pictures are huge! Erm. I'm sorry about that... Tonight I have also learned that I should find a way to resize my cameraphone shots, and my bb code-fu is subpar at the moment.....
    Upload the pictures to Imageshack and resize them to 800px. That's what I do, even though my base tablet canvas size is 2000+ px.

I'm pretty sure by this point in time, I'm using this grip (which, hilariously, looks kind of like an "inverted brush grip" from that site) less as a way to hold it, but more of a personal statement and a desire to draw well despite holding it in a rather bizarre way. It is interesting though, that that page does explain why I prefer to draw really small things, which is because my fingers go more or less all the way to the tip itself.
    I dunno, man, seems like pride/excuses rather than an informed opinion. Part of this whole improvement thing is breaking habits that are holding you back.

24. - Top - End - #24

Bluh, WOW I'm exhausted today. I literally could not stop yawning as I drew this.

Day 4 - A little perspective
    Spoiler
    Show

Going to be honest, I had an idea, but I couldn't even get the rough sketch working out tonight. So, I'm going to get a good night's sleep and try that again tomorrow! Once a sketch idea gets in my head, I can't not draw it.

So instead of just doing random crap doodles, I dragged out my little pose man and had him strike a funny pose. Without attempting to shade him, it makes the perspective... difficult I also left in my sketch layer, because why not, let's live a little on the edge. I tried to erase as little as possible, except the one time I totally redid his right arm, because it was thicker than his waist on the first try, and that seemed off for some reason.

So on tomorrow's docket, just planning ahead: get that picture in my head onto paper, repost Day 3 into screen-friendly sizes, and also draw earlier so I'm not sleepy, because it's not nearly as productive as I'd imagine, and being tired is no excuse to do a bad job -especially when it's preventable by showing a little self control and going to bed on time!

Gnight everybody!

25. - Top - End - #25

Day 5 - Let's Draw While Awake Shall We

Spoiler
    Show

Time spent: 1 hour
    Music: Actually no music this time for a change.

Big lizards have always been a favorite of mine ^^;;

Upload the pictures to Imageshack and resize them to 800px. That's what I do, even though my base tablet canvas size is 2000+ px.
    Yeah, that would have made sense, wouldn't it? I'll take care of that soon, so people can actually... see them. Not that there's much to see admittedly, haha.

I dunno, man, seems like pride/excuses rather than an informed opinion. Part of this whole improvement thing is breaking habits that are holding you back.
    Oh it's definitely me being stubborn. I want to learn, but (and this is just a personal thing) I see my weird grip as something that is uniquely me, and that I've gotten this far with this grip... well, I want to see if I can't go even further despite my lovecraftian style. It's not like I don't ever NOT use it, I do change it up from time to time when the need arises, but it's my primary grip, it's me, and I want to see how far I can run with it.

And heck, it's only day 5 for me, plenty of time to change and adapt down the road should I ever DO hit a wall that requires that specific change. Everything else is absolutely fluid and changeable, it's all just head knowledge and style. This, it just feels like something different, if you'll let me have this one thing for now
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-09-02 at 08:57 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26

Day 5 - Let's Draw While Awake Shall We

Spoiler
    Show

Time spent: 1 hour
    Music: Actually no music this time for a change.

Big lizards have always been a favorite of mine ^^;;
    Giant lizards! I love giant lizards! Nice design, don't go into overdetail, but I think the tail should go on longer and there seems to be a stray line there.

27. - Top - End - #27

Yeah the tail... I couldn't convince myself that the tail didn't end somewhere behind the wing. I tried it several different ways, and it always ended up looking awkward and wispy. Now it's just... awkward and stubby?

I really should have just done it from a different angle, I think...

edit: giant lizards! I have sketchbooks full of crappily drawn giant lizards/dragons/dinosaurs
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2011-09-02 at 09:08 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Taking a suggestion for something to draw today. Anyone got anything?

29. - Top - End - #29

Taking a suggestion for something to draw today. Anyone got anything?
    Oh! My characters! [/shameless]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh! My characters! [/shameless]
    Hey, if we're gonna go for shameless: try GenGame characters, both of you. (Or better yet, all three of you, Trazoi included.)
    Mah Badges!
    Spoiler
    Show