New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

The drow are as uninterested in the fate of the female slave as a traveller would be in a copper piece handed over at a turnstile.

The slave begs for mercy until her screams are muffled by the illithid's tentacles. She struggles futilely until her skull fractures with an audible crack. The actual consumption of her brain takes surprisingly little time, and her corpse is discarded with about as much fanfare as an orange peel.

Her body splashes overboard. The water churns as unseen creatures beneath the boat divide and devour her carcass.

The illithid wipes some gore from its cloak, then resumes his post at the bow of the longboat. In response to his silent mental commands, the creatures below the boat propel the vessel forward. As the boat leaves the dock, the suspended lamp on the dock goes out, leaving the single swinging lantern on the boat's mast as the only source of illumination once again.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aeroz, semi-disgusted Elf Rogue

Aeroz shudders at the illithid's eating of the fema;e's drow's brain and looks up at the ceiling for a bit.

"So..." Aeroz says as he looks towards the mind flayer "I didn't catch your name. What was it again?

[OOC: Heya folks, I'll be back to regular posting just after new years. Also, if Ss-man and Trinark are splitting up, possibly getting newer party members that will hopefully rejoin the main party, I'm guessing things are going to get a little more hectic. Still, fun fun.]
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

3. - Top - End - #183

Elthan II

Elthan gives out another sigh. Though he and his friends could have done something, they choose what is best, not what is good. Action would lead to their doom, inaction to hers. Did the situation make it correct for them to choose their decision, or should they have acted?

Another corpse in our wake. Another victim of the underdark, swallowed up by it's shadows and the specters within.

(OOC: And Elthan takes a swing towards the darkside folks. Half a ten day old and already learning from his firends. Hugs(*knife*)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

4. - Top - End - #184
    Halfling in the Playground

Djital

"I.. I.. don't feel that well."

Frowning, he lays down on the first convenient, facing away from everyone in the boat. His shoulders shake for several minutes, then hold still, moving only with his almost imperceptible breath.

I was part of something like that. I. Me. There will be a reckoning.

5. - Top - End - #185

Darius

Darius tries his best to speak only in earshot of the party. "Say fellas, you don't suppose the mind flayer would mind if we killed the drow after we got off the boat, do you?"

Mind flayer would mind. Heheh, I kill myself
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

6. - Top - End - #186

Chimera

Sheyra

"I... I think I'm going to be sick," Sheyra moans, leaning over the side of the boat. There's nothing in her stomach, though, so she just hangs there like a throw rug. A few minutes later, she comes back up again, looking like all the blood has been drained out of her body. "Can't take any more of this," she whispers, rocking back and forth as she holds her legs to her chest. "Lucky Lissa... I want to gouge out my eyes but it won't help...I can't un-see it..." She hides her head behind her hands and starts sobbing.
    And then they made me their cheif.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy watches the display with a hardened expression, one that does nothing to hide his distaste, though he makes no move to look away. When it's all said and done, he turns to keep an eye on the drow now sharing the boat with them. Neutral ground or not, there wasn't any sense in taking a chance with it; slowly, the broad orc shifts, shuffling to take a posiition between Lissa and the dark elves.

The scarred warrior growls a soft sigh, glancing back at Sheyra,

"Ain't no such thing as unseeing things.. Even if ya think ya have, they keep cropping up when ya ain't expecting them."

8. - Top - End - #188
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Gagging slightly the ranger mutters "I need a drink."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

9. - Top - End - #189

Darius

"Now there's an idea, Hajih."

Darius calls to the mind flayer, "Hey buddy, can we get some complimentary water on our trip? Maybe a bag of peanuts or two?"

Darius to the drow with a chuckle. "How you guys, got any food or drinks? Got any booze? We could have a regular old party right here.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

10. - Top - End - #190

It is hard to tell whether the mind flayer is annoyed or amused by the reaction from the different party members. He ignores Aeroz's question and instead focuses on Sheyra's retching.

So much emotion over the death of a single slave, little one?

You have have no sense of proportion. Where is the weeping and gnashing of teeth for the thousands of humans and elves being slain at this very moment in Cormanthor by the armies of the Baneson? What about the recent annihilation of your own people at the hands of the Mulhorandi?

I would expect the existence of that much death and suffering to completely incapacitate you, if you find the consumption of a single human so distressing.

Or is the manner of the slave's death that upsets you?

As if the slaughter of pigs and cows and sheep and fowl, and the boiling and burning of their dead flesh is somehow less nauseating? Can you not smell the hypocrisy?

[hr]
    More hours pass in uncomfortable silence. Although Elthan estimates that less than five days have passed in the Underdark, Elthan disagrees and suspects that more than a tenday has slipped by. All that can be said for sure is that no one has eaten for far too long, and hunger is beginning to weaken all of you.

Occasionally, one or two of you at a time nods off into a light dreamless slumber. In an ironic twist of fate, the illithid longboat is the safest place your party has been since leaving the surface. At least there seems to be no need for an fixed watch.

[hr]
    For many of you, this is the first time you have had a chance to observe dark elves (besides Trinark) up close. Whereas Trinark was rescued in a bedraggled almost naked condition, these drow are in their prime, impeccably dressed and equipped.

Even the most anti-drow among you are forced to admit that they are a handsome race. Like all of their kind, the soldiers have flawless obsidian skin (except for an occasional battle scar), and their white hair is perfectly groomed. They sit with perfect posture and flash perfectly straight white teeth as they converse softly amongst themselves. Their armor is elegant and well-polished, with an unusual oily gleam. Their shield insignia mean little to most of you, but if Trinark were here, he would recognize this squad as a unit from Undrek'Thoz (specifically from Phaundakulzan).

As the journey drags on, the drow notice that none of you are eating anything. At first one drow, then all six, pull a couple of rations from their packs. One of the soldiers slides towards your party, offering a neat stack of a dozen standard issue drow battle rations.

In broken Common he offers the food to all of you. "Eat. Eat. Good taste."

OOC: Please indicate if your character accepts the rations. Those who do not will begin to take starvation damage.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos DeTerran

After the slave had been consumed the mage fell into silence, refusing to speak as the time passes and he observes the others at what they do. The very feel of the Underdark sent shivers running up and down his back and he spent his time in contemplation of many things. Like his stomach, what he had heard in the others minds, the story of Sethra, the mind flayer, and what had been revealed by the arguement between Lumpy and Darius. Of more importance to him was what was to be done about the drow and...their suddenly offered food? This was odd. Oh well. No use looking a gift horse in the mouth. With a solemn nod the mage took the food and broke off just a tiny piece to eat first, seeing if anything tasted off about it.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

12. - Top - End - #192

Fizahn:

Fizahn looks at the drow in surprise as the food is offered. The illithid doesn't want fighting on his ship so I doubt he'd want poisoning. I don't really trust the drow, but I'm in no position to refuse food. Fizahn thanks the drow and takes the food. He hesitantly begins to eat it.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

13. - Top - End - #193

Darius

Darius laughs gleefully, "Haha! So you guys can understand me! Thanks for the food man!"

Darius takes the food, wolfing it down.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

14. - Top - End - #194
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

"Well its not a drink, but sure, I'll take it."
    Accepting the rations Hajih gives a small bow, just slightly more that a bobbing of the head.
    Lords of Madness:

15. - Top - End - #195

Elthan II

Though the parties recent act of inaction had left him slightly colder than before, the drows offer lightened him slightly. Even among those who they would call enemies, there is compasion. He takes one of the rations, and nods his head to the drow.
    "Thank you."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!

16. - Top - End - #196

Chimera

Sheyra

It's not just her, Sheyra thinks, almost hoping the illithid is listening. It's her, and Thokk, and Sedryn, and that boy we shot, and my guards, and my father, and everyone else who's died in this senseless "quest."

She looks up and takes some of the food from the drow. As upset as she is, she is still starving.
    And then they made me their cheif.

17. - Top - End - #197

Aeroz

Aeroz ignores the illithid ignoring him and sits silently during the trip. When the drow offers him food, he sneers but the pain he feels in his stomach changes his mind. He takes the rations but eats slowly, just in case.

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, thankful to be blind

Through the slave's grisly demise, Lissa was huddled into a ball with her hands clamped over her ears. Her expression was unreadable, since her face was pressed into her knees. Oh gods, talk about a dilemma! I know I should stop this, Baravar, but how? I'm blind and grossly outnumbered, starving in unfamiliar territory!

Once she thinks the mind flayer's meal is over, Lissa uncurls, just in time to hear Sheyra and the mind flayer's telepathic response. She reaches in the girl's direction tentatively, brushing across a couple different hands before she finds one that's slender and callused enough for a young human monk. "We do what we can, when we can, Sheyra." Lissa swallows. "Helplessness is one of the worst feelings there is. But we've just got to keep going and hope for the best. Otherwise we'll end up like that gloomy git over there." She manages a crooked smile, nodding in the direction she last heard Darius. "And you're right, this is one of the few times I've been glad to be blinded."

At the drow's offer of food, Lissa smiles politely and reaches in the direction of the voice. "Thank you. I am blind, would you please put the food in my hand?" Her Undercommon is strongly accented, but understandable. Once she gets the food, Lissa forces herself to eat only a small bite at first, trying to smell or taste any poisons. (If she doesn't detect anything amiss, she'll eat half of the ration with a lot of water and save the other half for later.) Huh, talk about dealing with the devil. I'm in no position to be picky though, that's for sure. Wish the druid had come with us; he might have been able to catch some fish. Hmm... I wonder...

"Hajih, do you know how to fish? For that matter, does anyone else?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

19. - Top - End - #199
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The big orc accepts one of the drow rations with a grunt, inspecting it carefully. For a long while it seems as if he might not be willing to eat it, but fatigue eventually wins out over distrust. He was still trying to recover from wounds, after all, and food was food, even if they'd managed to poison it.

Eating the small bit of food in a few huge bites with little fanfare. He glances over at Lissa,

"Fishing's easy, if ya got a pole, or a good net or something. And a lake. Lake-fishing is easier than sea-fishing. I don't think we got any'a that."

20. - Top - End - #200

Djital

When the Drow offer the food, a lost expression spreads over his face, and after a pause, he accepts it.

"Thank you."

Ravenously eating the rations hides any emotions that might be visible, but he continues to glance at the Drow from time to time from the corners of his eye, trying to understand who to hate, or whether it's even worth hanging on to things like that.

Derry down, down, hey derry down, it's the world turned upside down..

21. - Top - End - #201

Each drow battle ration is neatly wrapped in oiled paper, carefully folded into an origami-like package.

When you unwrap the paper, you discover several pieces of unleavened bread, two pieces of dried meat, and a small round pastry.

The bread is light and crispy, with a light taste that hints at vanilla. The origin of the meat is unknown, but it is tender and savory, with a mild spiciness. The round pastry is tart and delicious, with currant and blueberry notes.

The drow cuisine is surprisingly filling and agreeable. Your stomachs are happily filled for the first time in many days.

Perhaps it is the fact that your stomachs are full, or perhaps it is the gentle rocking of the boat, or perhaps the quiet whisperings of the drow conversing amongst themselves ... one by one, you drop off into a deep, restful slumber.

[hr]
    You start awake with a jolt ... how long have you been sleeping? For a moment, you suspect that you had been poisoned by the drow, but your body feels rested and refreshed and seems to have suffered no ill-effects from the rations.

The drow are no longer on board, having apparently been dropped off while you were sleeping. A small dock lies just off the starboard bow, and the illithid ferryman is tying the longboat to a mooring.

End of the line, sleepyheads. Watch your step getting off of the boat ...

22. - Top - End - #202

Darius

"Hey, wuzzat? Where'd those guys go?"

Darius yawns and rolls off his seat. "Mm thirsty..."

He wipes sleepy sand from his eyes, and struggles up. "Well that was some ride." he says sleepily.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

23. - Top - End - #203

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

After the slave is consumed, Achkby turns his back on the main part of the boat, sitting mute in the stern (which then becomes the prow) of the craft, leafing through his own thoughts.

[hr]
    When Achkby hears the Drows' offer, he turns, quite surprised, and gratefully (though perhaps a bit hesitantly) takes the food offered him.

I have heard... that they are an evil race. That all denizens of this underworld are cruel and without compassion. Yet I have met many surface folk who would not be so kind to starving strangers.

...And I might as well say it.

He announces to the Drow, "I have heard naught but ill about your ilk. Yet that is the kindest gesture I have encountered from any stranger in a long time."
    He nods brusquely, and begins unwrapping his packet. He eats its contents slowly, trying to chew every trace of nourishment and flavor he possibly can from its substance.

[hr]
    Achkby wakes slowly, and grudgingly pulls himself back to the unfortunate reality that is existence in the Underdark.

Great. End of the line seems to be the middle of nowhere. of course, I can't tell once piece of this infernal darkness from any other...

"Er... where exactly are we?" he ventures to ask the ferryman.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #204
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Pulling himself up off the boat, Hajih stands up and helps Lissa up "Alright folks, follow me."

Hajih climbs onto the dock and looks for a passage.
    Lords of Madness:

25. - Top - End - #205

Aeroz

Aeroz disembarks and when hearing Hajh's comment about following him, he grimaces. "I'm still not to keen on following your directions Hajh.". The elf turns to the ferryman; "Uh, do you know a reliable and safe route to Teflamm from here? It would be much appreciated."

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206

Djital

As the boat nudges the dock, he disembarks the boat without looking back and silently joins the others on shore, carefully avoiding the monster filled water.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Uhhh Wait...I fell ASLEEP?! Callos jerked up and whipped his head around quickly to make sure everyone and thing was still there. Then tentavily he raised a hand up and felt along his head to make sure there weren't any gaping holes there. After his brief inspection he sighed in relief and slowly got off of the ferry keeping an eye on the ferryman.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

28. - Top - End - #208

The mind flayer unties the longboat and it begins to drift away from the dock.

Follow the path to Sphur Pentak. I have heard that within its walls lies at least one portal to the Realms Above ...

With that, the illithid ferry heads out into the Glimmersea, and soon its sole lantern fades into the distance, becoming just another "star" in the Sea.

[hr]
    The faint illumination from the "sky" allows you to see an irregular cobblestone path that wends its way up from the beach toward a large cavernous opening.

Following Hajih, you follow the only path available to you until you stand at the cavern's entrance.

The cavern is enormous and dark. Even with the assistance of your everburning torches, it is difficult to see how high and wide the cavern actually is. At the far end of the cavern, probably a 1/4 mile away, faint lights mark a crenellated wall that seals off the rear part of the giant cave. As you approach, a pair of enormous stone doors, at least 100 ft high, looms in the center of the wall.

29. - Top - End - #209

Elthan II

Elthan fell aslepp easily enough on the ship, feeling safe enough in that no one wants to mess with an Illithid. When he awakens, he remains quite grogy, and unwillingly walks towards some destination as opposed to traversing it in a vehicle.
    Elthans head slowly falls upward for his eyes to meet the top of the doorway. Though his eyes are half-closed with now feighned tiredness, he sees cleaerly thier not easily opening the door.
    "Sooo...Anyone have a miniature giant hidden somewhere? Unless those on the other side will let us in, we're not getting in."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy walks along with amazing confidence for an orc without a weapon. But with a filled stomach and the assurance that his vision wouldn't be led astray in the darkness, there was some small feelling of security to things. He continues to glance around frequently, keeping an eye out for anywhere and ambush might be sprung, or a crack for some monster to worm out of; this place was poison, an utter death-pit.

He eyes the doors as they near them, scowling slightly as he tries to estimate their size. Eventually, he shrugs, "Won't know 'til we get there, now will we?"