New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Achkby and Fizahn call everyone outside to look up at the sky. The heavens are dark and featureless, without stars or any sign of Selūne, but it is a sky nonetheless.

Elthan's theory is correct, Sphur Pentak straddles two planes - the Shadow and the Material ...

[hr]
    It takes a while to piece together the story, but eventually you determine that the gloamings have recently been expanding into the Material Plane, fascinated by the peoples and cultures they discovered there. The novelty of durability has fascinated, if not obsessed, the gloamings.

Gloaming artisans created the co-existent Material stone city, attempting to duplicate the materials and artifacts gloaming adventurers have encountered. The stone buildings serve as more than mere decorations - they create a Material foundation than helps to keep Sphur Pentak fixed in the Shadow Plane.

The gloamings even experimented with creating simple creatures such as dogs and cattle, carved from stone then animated using gloaming sorcery, to populate their Material city.

Not all gloamings, however, are as enamored of the Material Plane as the inhabitants of Sphur Pentak. It is believed that rival gloamings animated the stone trolls and sent them against Sphur Pentak. As is their custom, the gloamings responded to the invasion by retreating to the Shadow Plane, where they were safe from the constructs. But, primarily armed with shadowstuff weapons and armor, the gloamings were unable to retake the Material half of their city until your fortunate arrival ... You have quite literally saved their city!

[hr]
    The celebration continues for hours. Gloamings pour in off the street to see the heroes from the Material Plane. The food and drink, though colorless, is delicious and plentiful ...

Lumpy takes a quick trip to a weapons store, and is intrigued to find that their wares are primarily created from shadowstuff. The merchants are equally intrigued by Lumpy's gear, and are eager to barter.

OOC: Any material items any of you possess can be bartered for shadowstuff items. Your material items are worth twice their usual cost here in the Shadow Plane.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Having finally eaten her fill and helped translate the gloamings' story, Lissa shakes her head in wonder. "Amazing! Simply amazing. It's hard to believe that we actually saved a city... us! Real people, not some storybook heroes!" She looks thoughtful for a moment, toying with her holy symbol. Hmm, Baravar is a god of the shadows. I wonder if Sphur Pentak is one reason he sent me to this region of the Underdark? Ah well, he's also a god of secrets; I'll probably just have to keep on wondering. However, musing on the divine has given Lissa another idea.

She turns to where she last heard a gloaming who spoke Undercommon, addressing it in the same language. "Excuse me, please. My blindness is not natural; I have been affected by a spell or curse. The one thing I want most right now is the restoration of my sight; do you have anyone who can cast such spells? I would be willing to trade just about anything I have."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

3. - Top - End - #393
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

Heading to the stores, Darius will trade in his battered sword and armor for their shadowstuff equivalents, and also see if he can purchase a new bow.

If he can get someone to translate for him he'll make sure he wants a bow that isn't normal, something imbued with enchantments, something he can use.
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #394

The fighters explore the weapons shops, handling the shadowstuff weapons and testing out their characteristics.

Each weapon glistens wetly, like obsidian, yet on closer inspection, its edges are indistinct and shadowy.

The weapons have a normal heft and balance, though they feel unnaturally cool to the touch. Lumpy takes a few practice swings with a shadowstuff flail. The shopkeeper offers it to Lumpy in exchange for Djital's battered shortsword.

Darius checks out shadowstuff bows. The longbows themselves appear to be of good quality, as do the arrows, neatly fletched and bundled. The longbow and 40 arrows are offered for Thokk's bastard sword.

OOC: +1 shadowstuff flail and masterwork shadowstuff longbow with 40 +2 shadowsuff arrows are offered for your Material goods.

[hr]
    The gloamings appear to be very disturbed by Lissa's condition. As word spreads of her blindness, they whisper to themselves excitedly. Some argue excitedly over the best course of action. Finally, the gloamings seem to come to a sort of consensus. One steps forward and speaks to her in Undercommon:

"It is said that deep within the Forest that lies between Sphur Pentak and Nyth is a spring that can heal all wounds and afflictions. The problem you suffer from is rare among us, but if there is any way to restore your sight, the Forest is where you will find it.

"Rest here tonight as our guests. We will show you the way once you have rested ..."

5. - Top - End - #395
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Lumpy eyed the flail in his hands critically - he wasn't entirely sure how it worked, or if it would work back in the 'real world.' But.. it was a flail, and any flail was better than the dinky little sword he'd been using.. Sure, from the sound of things it wasn't very useful against stone trolls, but how many of those could there be? he could always get his hands on a real flail as well when they got to Telflamm.

After a moments consideration, he hands over the sword, nodding thanks to the weaponsmith. Twirling his new flail, he makes his way back towards the inn, considering this world of shadow around him with wonder and bemusement. As a half-orc, shadow was largely a mystery to him.. Where others saw black darkness, he saw only monochrome detail. It was a great advantage of his, but seemingly one he'd lost over the others in this realm.

Ducking into the tavern once more, he grins, moving to sit down and resume eating, flail resting across his lap,

"This place ain't half-bad."

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Wow! A spring of healing? Oh, I hope the others are willing to make a bit of a detour! Lissa thanks the spokes-gloaming profusely, then stands up. "I don't know about any of you, but I want to see what's in the bazaar now... well, metaphorically speaking in my case. Will someone come with me to describe what the goods look like? I can translate if the merchants know Undercommon."

(Assuming somebody goes with her...)

Lissa is intrigued by the cool, slick feel of the shadowstuff goods, and by the way her companion describes them. At a general goods shop, she offers her 45' of hemp rope for a greater length of shadowstuff rope. At the weapons stand, the gnome asks to see crossbow bolts, offering 30 of her spare mundane bolts as barter. She ponders the rapiers and short swords for a bit. Awfully tempting... but will they function back in our world? Well, there's no such thing as too many weapons. Let's see if they'll take some of my other goods for a nice short sword; they really seemed to like textiles... Lissa asks for a magical short sword, offering three gnome-sized daggers plus her cloak of resistance. She even cleans the cloak up first with prestidigitation.

OOC: A cloak of resistance should about equal the value of a +1 enhancement, plus whatever extra value the gloamings place on Material Plane fabric.

7. - Top - End - #397

Aeroz

"Do any of you have mages capable of magically enhancing weapons and armor? My old cutlass and chainmail have served me well, but I do fear that the dangers ahead require some more powerful combat items."

Aeroz grins slightly, but his smirk does turn into a frown. He takes out Sedryn's mace and thinks very hard about it.

The holy symbol stays with me. Sorry Seddy, but I can't survive to avenge your death with plain old steel

Aeroz offer up sedryn's mace, hoping that they will take it for the enhancements.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

8. - Top - End - #398

Darius

"Well, would ya look at that?"

Darius runs his hand down the bow, getting a feel for the strange 'shadowstuff'...

He takes it and trades it for his old grappling hook, then goes with Lissa to the bazaar. He'll ask her to translate for him to see if he too can get his weapons enchanted, prefferably both, but one is just fine. He's willing to pay in surface gold, or trade for 40 surface arrows, a bedroll, even a silk rope, or any combination of the above.

((DR, can you send me a PM telling me what I gain/lose so I can edit my character sheet? And if it's cool that I just traded a grappling hook for a bow? ::) Thanks.))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

9. - Top - End - #399

Elthan quietly wanders through markets and shops, trying to find items to help them last in case of another long journey.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

10. - Top - End - #400

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

I'd love to replace some of the scrolls I've used...

Achkby nods his assent to Aeroz's words (I'm assuming Lumpy will translate for us?). "I don't need my weapons bettered, but I was hoping that your mages might have some other magical objects I could look at..."
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

11. - Top - End - #401
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra goes with Lissa to the market, eager to explore the strange city. She stares around her as she walks down the street, her troubles momentarily forgotten.

OOC: I know I didn't say much, I just want to let you know I'm not dead.
    And then they made me their cheif.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Finally eating his fill, Lumpy gathers his things and wanders back outside again, accompanying the others back to the market. He readily translates as necessary, seeming to on one hand resent the menial task, while enjoying his superiority on the other. If anything, his attention is riveted more firmly upon his new flail than the current proceedings.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih leaves the room and looks up, if he is surprised to see the sky, he doesn't show it. He then looks around in the shops, trying to barter off his two pitons for a dagger.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos, Human Necromancer

Callos couldn't help but feel a little fed up as he followed the others along in the gloaming market place. Not for any particular reason but he hated to wait while others did their shopping. Espicially if he couldn't shop as well. There wasn't anything he could do to stop it however so he sighed and followed along, eyes darting around for anything in particular that caught his eye.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

15. - Top - End - #405

Lumpy trades Djital's battered shortsword for a shadowstuff flail. The half-orc seems almost happy as he swings the flail about in graceful, practiced patterns.

[hr]
    Darius is reluctant to give up Thokk's bastard sword. Instead, he offers a grappling hook and 40 arrows. After some haggling, he is given the shadowstuff longbow and 40 shadowstuff arrows in return.

[hr]
    The gloamings are ecstatic when Lissa offers her cloak and daggers to trade. She is given a choice of two different shortswords, both with special enchantments. (OOC: Choose either an anarchic shadowstuff shortsword or a +1 keen shadowstuff shortsword.)

[hr]
    Hajih digs two pitons out of his pack. Most of the gloamings aren't impressed, but eventually Hajih manages to wheedle a shadowstuff dagger out of a gloaming weaponsmith. The dagger is as black as midnight and cool to the touch.

[hr]
    Aeroz discovers that it would take at least a tenday to enchant any weapons or armor, but the gloamings are more than willing to exchange any weapons or armor for shadowstuff equivalents.

[hr]
    The Elthans and Linda wander off by themselves, exploring the city. They find that almost all types of adventuring gear is available (in shadowstuff form of course), except for sunrods, holy water, and mounts.

The gloamings are fascinated by the coins of illusion after Elthan demonstrates how they work by throwing one onto the ground. One gloaming dealer offers a dark gray cloak in exchange for the box of coins. The dealer explains that the cloak will allow its wearer to be able to take on some of the characteristics of a gloaming.

OOC: The cost for any adventuring item is 1/4 the usual if it is paid for with Material coins. The cloak being offered for the coins of illusion is a Cloak of the Bat (check the SRD).

[hr]
    Achkby and Callos wander through several shops looking for any arcane paraphernalia. Apparently gloaming wizards are fairly rare, and most of the shops seem to cater to sorcerors, containing mostly spell components and a variety of potions. Callos becomes increasingly bored with the shopping excursion until he spots a very material spellbook on the shelf of one of the stores.

How the spellbook got on the shelf is unclear, but when Callos carefully leafs through its pages, he recognizes a number of cantrips as well as some more advanced spells as well. "How much?" he asks excitedly. The gloaming merchant smiles and indicates Callos' robe ...

OOC: Any potion or spell component worth 700 gp or less is available. Material gold is prized here, so you will only need to spend 1/4 the "official" cost, e.g. a 600 gp potion would cost 150 gp.

The merchant wants Callos' robe in exchange for the spellboook.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos the naked once more

"The robe for the spellbook? Hmmm give me a moment to think my good man"

Callos rubbed his chin against one hand as he pondered the situation before him. Sure it would get cold without the robe but that spellbook was far more valuable then the purple robe. Besides he was perfectly willing to go naked if he could prevent another....it was settled then. With no hint of shame the necromancer stripped off the purple robe and held it out to the gloaming wizard, his other gesturing to the spellbook.

"Deal!"

Now that he thought about it...wasn't all that cold.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"Ooooh! Oh, they're both so wonderful! Which one, which one..." Lissa is almost as happy as the gloaming merchant with the proposed trade. She runs her fingers down each of the cool, slick blades, brow furrowed in thought. One of them feels much sharper than a normal blade; she actually cuts herself on it, something that the experienced gnome doesn't normally do. But the other feels... good... for some reason. As if it matches with her. After some consideration, Lissa chooses a shortsword and thanks the gloaming happily.

OOC: Doesn't an anarchic weapon have to be at least +1? If the anarchic shortsword is also +1, I'll take that. If it isn't for some reason, I'll take the +1 keen shortsword.

18. - Top - End - #408

Oh no, not again.

[OOC]Are there scrolls here, or no?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

19. - Top - End - #409

Callos strips naked, but hardly seems to notice the pervasive chill of the Shadow Plane. His hands tremble as he flips the pages of the spellbook, but this is probably more out of excitement than cold.

Achkby shakes his head and averts his gaze as Callos' privates dangle uncomfortably close to the halfling's eye level.

Achkby searches in vain for any signs of arcane scrolls. As he thinks about it, aside from the occasional rune-inscribed doorway, there is almost no writing in Sphur Pentak. Achkby hypothesizes that gloamings might even be illiterate. Perhaps writing never developed on the ever-changing Plane of Shadow. Writing on shadowstuff paper would likely be as impermanent as scratching letters in the sand ...

In the end, Lissa finds herself irresistably drawn to one of the shortswords. Its cool hilt feels quite natural in her hands, as if she had wielding this weapon all her life.

OOC: Lissa chooses the +1 anarchic shortsword. It is a small weapon, appropriate for her size.

For convenience, Lumpy's flail and Darius' bow end up being appropriately sized for them too, a fortunate side effect of the ever-shifting nature of the Plane.

On the other hand, writing never developed in gloaming culture, hence the lack of gloaming wizards or scrolls. The spellbook claimed by Callos was undoubtedly left behind by a Material adventurer, and is not made of shadowstuff.

20. - Top - End - #410

Elthan accepts the exchange of the coins for the cloak, and heads off to find some others and inquire thier opinion of it. When he see's Callos, he gives him his Cloak of Resistance, to cover up at least part of the problem.
    "If any of the girls saw you like this again we'd never hear the end of it."

(OOC: Already had a cloak, but a change is nice
    Oh and I think magic weapons automatically rezize for thier wearer, or mybye just armor)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos, the reclothed

Taking the coat with a shrug he tied the clasp around his neck and made sure that it covered what was most important. Grinning humorously he laughed at Ackby.

"Don't act like your not impressed Ackby!"

((The cloak of resistence gives the plus to saves right? And what is the plus on it?))

22. - Top - End - #412
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Still twirling his flail a bit, Lumpy peeks into the next store: looked like another one for mages, useless. but Callos wass there, covering himself with a new cloak instead of the Ranger's awful shirt,

"I missed something here, and am eternally greatful ta the powers above fer it."

Shaking his head, he moved along to the next store down the row without another word. Eventually, after looking around, he buys a set of shadowstuff clothing. After brandishing his shiny material coins and a bit of grumbled haggling, he hands over the agreed sum.
    The cloak, belt and boots he keeps for himself, returning to the mageg's shop and tossing the shirt and pants over to Callos,

"At least cover yerself properly"

((Traveler's outfit for 2 silvers and 5 coppers))

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

After choosing a sword and belting it on (which takes some fumbling), Lissa hears some of her companions' voices outside the shop. She steps outside to better hear them, and grins at the topic. Heh, sounds like Callos traded his shirt for something. Raising her voice slightly, the gnome calls out, "If you guys are talking about what I think you are, I'm glad I'm blind! Trust me, the sight of a naked human is worse at my height!" Lissa grins mischievously in the direction of the voices, then ducks back inside the shop to barter for some crossbow bolts.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos the rightfully Indiginat

"Yeah yeah. Laugh all you want but theres something invigorating about free flying in this Underdark air."

Callos indiginatly pulled on the shadowstuff pants then shirt as he stood there. Muttering to himself about smart aleck half orcs and gnomes the entire time until he stood straight once more, clutching the spellbook tightly in both hands.

"There, happy now?"

25. - Top - End - #415

Fizahn:

Fizahn enters the gloaming market. He immediately starts looking for a clothing store with a selection of magical cloaks. "Stupid mindflayer, stealing my good cloak..." He begins counting out his coins and looking at what he has to offer after he browses the cloak selection and finds something good. After a short search, he realizes he only has 26 gold pieces and his winter blanket that he's willing to trade. "Dumb portal, next time I get a horse, I'm bringing him with me everywhere! I lost to much of my equipment for it to happen again. Hmmm... Or I could get a backpack like Lissa's." After a little thought, he goes hunting for one of those. I can also give up my backpack for a Handy Haversack if I find one, but I can't give it up for the cloak.

OOC: What cloaks do they have? Can he find a Heward's Handy Haversack? Will he have enough money for anything? Tune in next time, when DR posts...
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-27 at 08:57 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

26. - Top - End - #416

Thanks the Gods.

"Thank the Gods. It's not pretty from here, though at least it doesn't attract any attention.
    Anyway, Lumpy, can you ask him if he has an elixir that'll let a body climb like a spider?
    "

[OOC]Requesting Potion of [i]Spider Climb[/b] (to replace the scroll spent so Sheyra could go through that tunnel). 50gp, yes?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #417

Lissa also trades 30 bolts for a set of 20 enchanted shadowstuff bolts. Though blind, she caresses her new acquisitions with a smile on her face.

[hr]
    Fizahn counts out the few coins he had on his person (not left on the other side of the Sea of Fallen Stars). He adds a winter blanket and his leather backpack. The gloamings smile politely but decline to trade for his meager offerings.

They seem intrigued by his magical dagger, however. They offer the shadowstuff equivalents of a high quality cloak of resistance and a handy haversack together if Fizahn is willing to give up the dagger.

[hr]
    Achkby requests a potion of spider climb through Lumpy. A dark black vial is placed on the counter. Achkby counts out 50 gold pieces and is about to take the vial, but the gloaming places her hand on his and shakes her head no. "It's 75 gold pieces," Lumpy translates.

[hr]
    Callos accepts the clothes and the cloak gratefully. He is fully clothed for the first time since he was originally transformed into a drider. He immediately begins to pore over the spellbook to see what spells are recorded there ...

28. - Top - End - #418
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih, gripping his new dagger, looks for a place where he can see his reflection. As he searches, he rubs his chin and shakes his head.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

29. - Top - End - #419
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Sheyra

Sheyra laughs at the sight of Callos stripping naked for the spellbook. "Wow, I'm glad I only caught that from the back," she says, "No offense meant, of course."
    And then they made me their cheif.

30. - Top - End - #420

Fizahn:

Fizahn only seems slightly dissapointed that they didn't accept his offer. I know a bad bargain when I hear one, and if they had traded me for those, it would have been one of the worst ever! I can't give up my dagger, I need a weapon. A weapon is a necessity, those things are just accessories. Fizahn politely declines the gloaming's counter offer. He pretends to browse the shop a while longer. I suppose I could try to steal something, but I'm stuck in the underdark and surrounded by gloamings. How would I escape if they caught me? That's a really bad idea.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.