New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Lissa

Lissa, on the other hand, walks out of the gloaming weapons shop with a smile on her face and one hand caressing the hilt of her new shortsword. The other hand is still using her rapier as a blind-gnome's cane. Navigating by the sound of voices, she manages to find the rest of the party. "Well, I think I got a pretty good deal. Check out the new shortsword- it's magic!" Lissa proudly displays her new acquisition. "The gloamings really love fabrics, especially enchanted ones; I got this for three daggers and my cloak of resistance. If anyone's got a magic cloak that they're willing to part with, they can probably get a really good deal for it here." She shrugs. "Of course, there's no telling how this shadow-stuff will perform back in our world, but I figured it was worth finding out."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #422
    Bugbear in the Playground

Some of you make deals, others don't, but either way, it is a pleasant distraction to be simply wandering through town shops without grumbling stomachs and constant fear of ambush.

After many more hearty meals and a few long "nights" of rest, you are feeling reinvigorated and downright optimistic. Even the perpetual colorless dark gray atmosphere of the Shadow Plane seems somehow less oppressive than the total blackness of the Underdark.

But you sense intuitively that it would not be good to linger for too long on the Shadow Plane, eating the food and drinking the beverages. On some subconscious level, you can sense the shadow world beginning to affect your flesh and bones.

The gloamings too seem to grow weary of your presence. As the initial euphoria and excitement of novelty fades, you sense a growing discomfort among the gloamings and their smiles seem thinner and less genuine, as though you are houseguests that have overstayed your welcome.

[hr]
    Eventually, the gloamings quite literally show you to the door. As you leave through the main gates, you are surprised to see a trail leading into a vast forest. (There is no sign of the enormous cavern or the Sea of Starry Night.)

The trees of the forest seem to have lost their leaves, but their bare trunks and branches seem to glow ever-so-faintly against the pervasive charcoal gray of the Shadow Plane. The effect is much like that of a photographic negative (for those of you familiar with that wondrous technology from the Lantan Isles) ...

A group of several dozen gloamings see you off, cheering and waving. They give each of you small kits with shadowstuff rations. You are assured that the trail will eventually lead to a city called Nyth. From there, it should be a short trip to Telflamm. When Lissa asks again about the healing spring, she receives a cryptic reply:

"It is said that, if the need is great enough, the spring will find you ..."

OOC: Enough shadowstuff supplies are provided for a week's worth of travel. Lumpy spent 1 gp on Callos' outfit, which is "real" instead of shadowstuff, presumably sold or left behind by a previous adventurer, and therefore not subject to a "discount". Achkby is not able to afford the potion at this time. Aeroz opts not to "trade up" for shadowstuff equipment.

3. - Top - End - #423

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"You know, Aeroz," Achkby remarks casually, "I'm really looking forward to when you next get yourself some gold.
    "But since there's quite a bit of travel left until something like that might happen, would you mind regaling us with exactly what you plan to do once we do reach this Telflamm of yours?
    "

[OOC]Can Achkby buy some shadowstuff clothes, just for the novelty of it? I know they don't wear clothes, but might they have some cloth-like thing that could be made into a robe or something? Or, failing that, he'd buy just some cloth-stuff not made into a robe... do they have blankets?[/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

After a few days of rest and relaxation in the gloaming city it generally looked as if Callos had found time to clean himself up. He no longer had a starved appearance to him, curtesy of chowing down at mealtimes, and the clothing and cloak gave him a "dashing" appearence as he said, whither or not anyone else agreed with him. He even had time to clean up some of the stubble that had begun to accumalte on his face and seemed to have gotten over his grief for the moment.

"Ah, back to the fine fun road of adventure! Feels good to be out and about again. And now I don't have to worry about feeling embrassed cause of gloamings! A double whammy!"
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

"If the need is great enough, the spring will find me... hmm." Lissa muses on the riddle as she walks. During their stay in Sphur Pentak, the gnome has grown more skilled at navigating blind with the aid of her rapier, although she does still sometimes bump into things or wander off in the wrong direction. "I hope that being cursed with blindness is a great enough need. I mean, it's not like this is going to kill me directly- I hope- but it could well kill me indirectly if we run into something nasty and I dodge the wrong way." She shrugs. "Anyway, the gloamings were awfully nice, weren't they? I feel kind of bad for staying so long, but it was so nice to have actual food and real beds..."

6. - Top - End - #426
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"Well, as "real" as you can get on the Shadow Plane, I guess. But yeah, I'm gonna miss those guys."
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

7. - Top - End - #427
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Several days of near-normalcy had improved Lumpy's mood greatly. He was clean, he'd had a chance to bathe, and even to shave the growing crop of hair from his bumpy scalp. He'd eaten AND slept, luxuries his week or so in the underdark hadn't afforded him much of in the past. And he had a new flail - sure, it was a little odd, and he didn't even know if it would work in the real world (after all, it hadn't hurt the stone trolls) or if light would make it evaporate or whatever, but it was a flail.

The burly orc was actually grinning as he tracked down the road in his distinctive half-limp. In the days of their stay in Sphur Pentak, not even after rest and healing had he ceased limping like that, perhaps sign of an old injury that hadn't healed quite right. It was evidently the source of his apparent awkwardness, and the reason he looked so lopsided most of the time, but he never spoke of it, and didn't seem to let it bother him. As he led the way through the forest, glancing alertly about, he couldn't help but keep a hand resting upon his flail, considering,

What'll I call you, I wonder? Well, I named Thresher because that's what it was for, threshing grain. And Grinder because of what I did to that gnoll's face that first time. Guess I'll come up with something after I see you working.

He glances back at the others,

"Hey, they offered the food and beds, ain't my fault fer taking them. They booted us when it was time. ya gotta get used ta that. Not that I really like it that much here anyway. I ain't never seen a shadow my entire life, and now they're trying ta tell me we're walking around somewhere made'a them. It just don't feel right."

8. - Top - End - #428

Aeroz

"Well Achby, to tell you the truth I haven't the slightest. I'm supposed to find some dagger that some necromancer that Fizhan is after. According to Lumpy, the people who have the dagger are holed up in some drow encampent. And since these people assasinated a high ranking diplomat in Hlondeth, I am cheerfully assuming that they have escaped, because that makes my job a lot easier. I guess we go and find one of Baran's associates, get some more information, and maybe some backup, before some Mulhorandi cop gets his hands on me and I get executed, or I get sliced up by some beastie along the way."

Aeroz takes a short breath and calms himself down. Obviously this has been a trying experience for him. The loss of Sedryn and this task that he has been charged with seems to be really putting a lot of stress on him.

"You know what the worst part about this is? I still don't know if I can trust any of you. I've spent gods know how long in this stinking underground hellhole and I still can't understand why I can't trust any of you. Achby and Darius saved my life once and got me out of a stone prison, and I still really don't know. People keep dying, and we still don't know who or what killed Sedryn. Djtal bit the big one and Thokk's gone too."

Aeroz sighs and sits down on the ground.

"Still, it doesn't matter. I'm already in this mess so I might as well get myself out of it. This'll be one hell of a story though."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa groans, slapping a hand on her forehead. "Oh no, not this again! Look- all of us have fought alongside you, Aeroz, okay? Need I remind anyone of the consequences last time we tried to resolve the trust issue?" She points to her blind eyes. "In the absence of knowledge, you have to go on instinct. I don't know about you, but my instincts say that I stand a much better chance of surviving with the group- even if that group includes an insane body-hopping wizard. Plus there's the fact that I owe almost all of you my life for coming to get me from the undead drow thing."

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

At the mention of the dead drow creature the newly looking human coughed a little. It was obvious he was embrassed about it and spoke up in a second or two.

"Yeah...uh...I never got around to apologziing about that, did I? I just kind of threatened you."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

11. - Top - End - #431

Aeroz

"Trust isn't the issue here. This is just way too much pressure. I think I'm starting to break here. Every little thing we do is just to find the artifact or kill the evil necromancer or one thing or another and its just driving me a little mad...You know what, nevermind. Lets just get this over with. Its pointless for me to complain because it ain't gonna change anything."

Aeroz stands up and puts his hand on Lissa's shoulder.

"And ya know what? After all of this is done, I might just retire. Maybe start going through those wizard books again. Who knows? All I do know is that first we gotta get your sight back, and then we can worry about the other stuff."

Spoiler
    Show

JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

12. - Top - End - #432

Darius

"Aye, one helluva story indeed. They'll write songs about us!" Darius says with a littlee laugh. Walking off to the side of the group, he begins to mumble to himself.

"Oooh, there once was a- no... big green thing? What was it called? Tendril-something... Oooh, there once was a tendrily monster... dammit."

((Not taking bard next level))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

13. - Top - End - #433

Before leaving Sphur Pentak, Achkby purchases a square of shadowstuff cloth for a handful of copper pieces. He runs the silky smooth, cool fabric through his hands a few times before neatly folding it away into his backpack.

[hr]
    The path through the shadow forest gently winds its way between the naked trees. You make excellent time along the flat, smooth ground, and soon Sphur Pentak disappears into the distance behind you. Stark branches loom overhead forming angular patterns against the deep charcoal sky. Gnarled tree trunks stretch as far as you can see in every direction.

Gradually everyone begins to feel a bit uneasy. It takes a while to put a finger on it, but eventually you realize that it is the unnatural silence that is so perturbing. There are no sounds from birds or insects. There is no crunching of leaves underfoot. You hear no sound, except for your own breathing and faint clinking from your gear.

[hr]
    After a "day" of marching, you settle down for the "night". Hajih is unsuccessful at making a campfire out of a small number of broken branches, but no one really minds. Your bodies seem to have gotten accustomed to the invariant neutral coolness of the Shadow Plane.

Although your bodies have been rejuvenated by the brief respite in Sphur Pentak, your emotions remain strained. Aeroz seems resigned to continuing forward to Telflamm, hoping to intercept the assassins and the Kris of Sethra there, but the constant uncertainly has taken a toll.

The shadow rations are filling, and soon each of you prepares for bed. You have gotten used to taking watch shifts and keeping an eye on each other in the knowledge that one of you might not be who he (or she) seems to be. The "night" passes uneventfully.

[hr]
    In the morning, everyone packs back up and moves out after breakfast. It looks like it is going to be another monotonous day of hiking along the clear path through the shadow forest.

It is almost lunchtime, when Lumpy, at the point, suddenly stops, crouches, and raises a fist, signaling everyone to freeze.

Silently he points ahead towards 2 o'clock. A small campfire is visible several hundred yards away between the trees. The fire is yellow and orange - the first natural colors you have seen in a long time - standing out vibrantly against the otherwise dark gray/black forest.

14. - Top - End - #434

Darius

"Maybe now we get to see how this shadowstuff performs..." Darius says as he slings his bow off of his back in anticipation of a fight.

"Let's go and check it out, shall we?"
    Darius heads forward at a leisurely pace, humming to himself.

Fires in the distance... demon fires... put them out...
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

15. - Top - End - #435

Elthan II

Elthan is quiet for the entire walk, wieghing heavily his thoughts.
    Inteprting that vision is getting harder and harder as things progress. Things are moving to fast and changing too often to know know when to expect the vision to occur. I'm worried for Sheyra from this, but I still do not know what roll she plays, or why she is targeted, or why anyone should be killed in this event.
    This was easier with the lizardman. He would think and worry on this, taking the burden of the issue off of us. I wonder if any of them remember this vision, or if they've even thought about it since it's passing...

looking up to the fire, "How the hell did they start a fire here?"
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

16. - Top - End - #436
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Feeling a hand on her shoulder- she's not sure whose- Lissa halts along with everyone else. The Shadow Plane has probably affected her the least of anyone in the party, since she hasn't been able to see any of it. As she hears Elthan, Lissa whispers back, "A fire? Wow, really? That's a neat trick in this place. Are we going over to see who it is?"

17. - Top - End - #437
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

"I'm sure they're lot's a ways ta do it, but I bet we don't really wanna find none'a them out. But I ain't leaving it at my back without knowing what it is. Spread out a bit, we move up real casual like, get a better look. Find out just what this is. Just try and keep a decent formation."

Rising from his crouch stiffly, the big orc slips his new flail free from it's position at his waist, stepping off the road towards the fire. He gestures left with his flail, then right with his other hand, indicating the others should fan out into flanks behind him.

18. - Top - End - #438

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]9

Aeroz

"Fire. That could mean one of two things. Another traveller who needs our gracious help, or something else that is trying to systematicall kill us all off. Damn I hope its the first one for a change."

Aeroz sneaks ahead, keeping his head relativley low and his eyes on what is the source of the fire (aside from kindling, in which case there would hopefully be little problem).

[OOC: Hide roll: 18+9=27, Move silently roll: 14+9=23, Spot 2+8=10, Search 8+8=16, low light vision]

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #439

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

"All right," whispers Achkby loudly, "here we go."
    Ooh, boy. Brandobaris, as you have helped me before, grace me with stealth.
    He unhooks his spear and, holding it at the ready, advances with the others, staring around for threats and trying to use his Halfling instincts to better hide himself. From the corner of his eye, he watches Aeroz, trying to emulate the other's stealthy movements.

[OOC]Rolls:
    Spot (1d20-1=9)
    Hide (1d20+6=24)
    Move Silently (1d20+4=8)
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

A fire? Well that is certainly something new. Callos smiled a little eagerly. Maybe it was the fact that he was confidant once more now that he had his spellbook again or something else. But nonetheless his fingers grasped and closed eagerly and his movements where a bit...loud.

((OOC: Hide: 15+1=16
    Move Silently: 5+1=6
    Spot: 12+5=17))

21. - Top - End - #441
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Slinking down into a sort of half crouch, Hajih hears a slight whisper on the edge of his hearing.

With a well practiced action, he draws Thokk’s bastard sword and creeps up with the rest of the party.

Don't let the orc know, you're better than him.

[hr]
    OOC
    Hide: 12
    Move Silently: 18
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

22. - Top - End - #442
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa the Silent

Lissa moves forward with the others. She can't see places to hide herself, but attempts to move as quietly as she can. Which is very quietly; her light footsteps scarcely make a sound on the shadow-forest floor.

OOC: Move Silently check = 19. And yes, that's with the -2 blindness mod! I figured Hide was an 'activity that relies on vision', so didn't bother rolling it.

23. - Top - End - #443

Fizahn:

I doubt it will be something nice. At least we're well rested and prepared for a fight. Fizahn follows the example set by the rest of the party. He begins silently stalking toward the fire while trying to remain hidden.

OOC: Move Silently 22 (11+11) Hide... Well, I think my die hates me... 1, but I get a +15 modifier on it!
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

24. - Top - End - #444

Several of you spread out through the woods, encircling the encampment from two directions. Darius chooses to take the most direct route forward, straight toward the fire.

As you approach, you are able to see cloaked figures seated around the campfire. They appear to be chatting quietly while sharing a simple meal.

They seem to be unaware of your presence until Callos inadvertently steps on a branch, making a very un-shadowforest-like CRAAAACKKK!!!

[hr]
    The figures leap to their feet. There are five of them. Although they are cloaked, you can tell that two of the figures are male, two are female, and one appears to be a dwarf.

Only one is armed. One of the females holds a shortspear with a heavily muscled, tattooed arm ...

25. - Top - End - #445
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

The burly orc mutters grumpily, "Dammit, always something."

Well, guess we'll see how this plays out first. Keep their eyes on me for now.

Straightening out, he lowers his flail from it's readied position, letting it hang by his side as he noisily approaches the fire. To the others, it's fairly obvious he's intentionally bumping brush and dragging his feet. He forces a smile across his fangy maw, growling an attempt at a jovial greeting,

"Hey there! Good ta see another soul out in this boring place. How'd ya get a fire going? I ain't had much luck with that."

Well, now everyone either thinks I'm crazy or stupid. Hell, even I think it. just great.

26. - Top - End - #446

Darius

"Why always with the spooky cloaks? he mutters to himself with a chuckle, then steps up to the campfire.

"Well hello there!"
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

When the twig snapped he froze and continued to stare with wide eyes at the group in front of them. It would take only one jab from that spear to put an end to him probaly. Better to not draw attention....Dammit! They were going to alk out and meet them?! What if they where hostile? What if they where unfriendly? Screw it. Might as well expose himself as well.

Keeping a careful eye on the strangers and keeping his hands up peacefully he stepped out from where he had been hiding. Trying in each of the languages he knows.

"Peace strangers, we mean no harm."
    ((OOC: Don't think there is a font color for "I'll try every language I know" so I went for plain.))

28. - Top - End - #448
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

What in the Nine Hells...! Lissa freezes in place, listening intently to her comrades' actions and the movements of the strangers. Although her hand goes to the hilt of her new shortsword, she doesn't draw it just yet. She just waits and listens.

29. - Top - End - #449

Achlby, Halfling Sorcerer

Oh, no, not again.

Achkby freezes in place, but then begins slowly advanceing again, trying to remain hidden as the Lumpy, Darius, and Callos distract the fire's owners.

[OOC]
    Move Silently (1d20+4=21)
    Move Silently Hide (1d20+6=8) (Sorry, forgot to change the title to 'Hide,' which this was to be for, but I got the modifier right.)
    [/OOC]
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

30. - Top - End - #450
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih rises from his crouched stance and approaches the fire.

"Howdy folks" he says with a grin.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'