New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Thokk

"Lets get ready lads, no telling what this might be...

*Pulls out longbow and readies an action to fire should the creature attack*

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

Irriatable was hardly the word to describe Callos's mood at the moment. A good night sleep ruined because of some shadow in the sky. Very well then, they would just have to deal with it then. Spellbook in one hand as he gazed up hard at the shadow.

"Always when your about to sleep something decides to eat you..."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #543
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

"It's been a looong time since i went bird-huntin'."

Darius draws his bow, aiming up at the bird, and readying an action to fire if it swoops down too fast.

((How big is the shadow?))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #544
    Bugbear in the Playground

Achkby, Halfling Sorcerer

Achkby tries to punch the Elthan as he is awoken, but once he realizes the circumstances of their situation, quickly and silently arises, gathering his possession to him with alarming alacrity.
    "Not like I haven't had to do this before," he mutters quietly. Opting to leave his armor packed away, he drapes the shadowstuff shroud about his shoulders and ove rhis pack, hoping to better blend in with the figments of their environment should there be an attack.

"Who will check for threats which might be gathered about us?" he asks in a whisper.
    DON'T PANIC
    (Arthur Avatar by the Losar.)

GO BLUE

5. - Top - End - #545
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih gets up, pulling on his jacket and hat as he does . Pulling out the shadowstuff dagger in his belt, the ranger pushes the hat out of his eyes. He turns to the rest of the group.

"Maybe we should hide, or run, or both."
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

6. - Top - End - #546

The shadowy form is barely visible against the dark sky, but if you try to look just off to the side, you are able to detect it in your peripheral vision.

At first you take the form to be a crow or raven, but as the creature spirals downward closer and closer toward your position, you realize that the shadow is far too large to be a mere bird.

At first it is difficult to tell how far away the creature is, but as it moves lower and lower, you realize that the creature is far larger than you had anticipated - it appears to be a have a "wingspan" of at least 40 feet!

The creature spirals downward toward your campsite, lazily drifting in ever tightening circles ...

[hr]
    Sedryn frowns. "It's a nightwing! We need to get out of here!"

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa gulps, cocking her crossbow and eyeing the nightwing. "You really think we can outrun that thing, Sedryn? How fast do they fly? Remember, Achkby, Fizahn, Thokk and I don't have the long legs that you big folk have, and some of us are in heavy armor. Not exactly conducive to speed." She fingers her holy symbol with her left hand, glancing up at the shadowed sky again.

OOC: Ready action to cast protection from evil on self if the nightwing attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

8. - Top - End - #548
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos DeTerran

"Nightwing? Nightwing...why does that sound so familiar... Nightwing. Ah to Avernus with the blasted thing!"

Glaring up at the creature his spellbook's pages flipped seemingly of their own accord until they stopped on the page of a spell which he intoned grimly, drawing the mystic symbols in the air.

(If its within 150 ft, Heightened Blindess/Deafness DC 15 and choosing blindness))

Suddenly what looked like a black mist wrapped around the shadows head, clinging at it desparatly before disapating.

(If out of ranger cast Shield on self)

Once the last figure had been drawn they flared with silver light before vanishing. Briefly a large glowing blue shield flashed in front of him before also vanishing.

((Knowledge Religon check to see if Callos knows what a nightwing is.

13+10 ranks=23 total.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

9. - Top - End - #549
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Lads, I think this might be a good time to move away and re-evaluate our current position..."

*Thokk starts edging away, but keeps the bow trained*

10. - Top - End - #550

Darius

"A nightwing? Can I shoot it now?"
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

11. - Top - End - #551
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Typically irritable over having been waked early AGAIN, the burly orc steadily takes his feet, staring indecisively at the sky as he tries to sort out what's supposed to be shadow and what isn't. It wass hard, given the nature of his vision and the qualities of the plane, but he eventually managed to discern the poorly defined outline of the nightwing. As it's gross size became increasingly evident, he stoops to gather up his things and hastily pack them up,

"No, ya can't. Or ya shouldn't, if ya wanna get technical. That classifies as 'to big ta screw around with. I third the 'get the Hells out'a here suggestion. Pack up yer crap."

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Hearing Lumpy's suggestion/command, Lissa suddenly remembers her bedroll. Pack up... oh yeah... Hastily she rolls and ties it up, strapping it on top of her haversack. It would be very uncomfortable to forget the bedroll! Packing done, Lissa takes her crossbow in hand once more and looks around at the others. "Well, run or fight? If it's going to be 'run', I'd like to know now so I can get a good start."

13. - Top - End - #553

"Well, I think we're going to flee, my darling," Achkby whispers. "But let's do so quietly. If no one has a better idea, I say we go... that way," he says, directly away from the pool.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

14. - Top - End - #554

Aeroz

"Knowing this place, we'll probably end up right back here..." the elf mutters as he waits for the others to get moving.
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

15. - Top - End - #555
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Now, correct me if im wrong, but I thought that pool was really really holy. That beast up there, im gettin shivers just lookin at it, and I dont exactly think it is comming from on high to bless us with gems and mead (prase Moradin!). Methinks that away from the pool is a bad idea, and maybe simply laying low around the pool would be enough so it goes away. And should it attack, we have a superior defensive position to strike back!"

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Grabbing his bedroll, Hajih shoves the dagger back in his belt.

"Alright, to the spring then?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

17. - Top - End - #557
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa squeezes Achkby's hand. "Right, the healing pool it is. I know healing spells can hurt some evil creatures; maybe healing water will do the same thing!" With that, she sets off in the direction of the spring at full speed, glancing up at the sky every so often to keep tabs on where the nightwing is.

18. - Top - End - #558

Achkby suggests taking the trail away from the campfire, but the rest of the party is inclined to make for the spring.

Running down the small hill towards the pool, you notice that the air seems to be quite chilly. To your surprise, you find snow on the ground, deeper as you get closer to the spring. Skidding to a stop at the pool's edge you discover that the spring has frozen solid and now appears to be a sheet of black ice.

Behind you there is a muffled whoomp! as the shadowy form of the nightwing lands on the ground, smothering the campfire. Sparks fly, then there is simply darkness. You shiver as you huddle by the frozen spring.

Taern, Sedryn, Djital, and Thokk look a little bit pale. They seem more affected by the sudden cold than the rest of you.

[hr]
    At first all is silent, then there is a crunch. After a few moments there is another crunch, and another. You hear the splintering of a tree trunk, then another crunch. The nightwing is moving towards you along the ground ...

OOC: The nightwing is approaching but has not yet crested the hill.

19. - Top - End - #559

Darius

"Now what!?"

Darius brings his boot down full-speed onto the ice angrily, trying to break it.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

20. - Top - End - #560
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

*kneeling*

"By the heat of the Forge, o Soul Father, melt away the gloom that surrounds us, and illuminate your gradure to all evil, and immolate them into non-being. Grant that your servent of the Guard be blessed with your holy fire, and burn away all impurity."

*Rising*

"MAY THE ANVIL SMITE THE IMPURE"

21. - Top - End - #561

Aeroz

Aeroz sighs and mutters "Here we go again...". He then proceeds to draw his crossbow and load it.

"Shame I don't have another one of those flying potions around."
    The Gradual decline in sanity of a Fedora developer

Spoiler
    Show
    Trog's Rendition of me, complete with a shirt reminding me who I am!

Quote Originally Posted by AngelSword
    Oh, Fro...You silly, hairy, man.
    JackMann's Moustache; you shall be dearly missed. You're tying angels to railroad tracks now...

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"No way! Okay the plane of Shadow has officially become the worst plane ever!"

Callos hissed out angerily after observing the frozen spring. The heck with this! This spring could be the only thing that might help and it was frozen?! Not for long then! Once more the pages of his spellbook flipped of their own accord until it was on a diffrent page. Once there Callos pointed his index and middle finger at the black ice and began to chant slowly making sure to get the intonations correct. Once he finished he put the spellbook away and put his hands together pointing at the ice with his fingers splayed.

"Out of the way archer man unless you want to get burned!"

((OOC: Guess I got the Shield spell then. Anywho, DR does Callos know what the thing is? And for actions gonna wait until Darious is off the ice and try to melt it with a burning hands spell.))

23. - Top - End - #563

Achkby fumbles for his scroll case.

"Sedryn!" he hisses, "If I can cast an illusion to lure it into the spring... what might it be likely to jump upon?"
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

24. - Top - End - #564

Darius

At Callos' command Darius steps off the ice and fires the arrow he has had knocked at the nightwing.

((5 ft. step and shoot))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa holds her holy symbol in one hand, chanting in Celestial. "Baravar Cloakshadow, ward your servant from the forces of evil!" A white glow flares up around the gnome for a moment.

OOC: Cast protection from evil on self.

26. - Top - End - #566

"Damn you, Darius, are we even sure it's hostile?! You're always shooting first, and asking questions later! Didn't killing that boy teach you anything?"

He glares at the overeager archer for a moment, and then turns back to Sedryn.
    DON'T PANIC

GO BLUE

27. - Top - End - #567

Fizahn:

Fizahn quickly fits a bolt into his crossbow. He looks over the crest of the hill to where the beast will come from. Taking aim, he prepares to fire. :Achkby, did you see how big that thing was? It probably has halfling stew for supper and the mistress was all out of halflings, so she sent it to get another one and if I know females, it had better not come home empty handed! You'd better be prepared to defend yourself because it will eat you!" Fizahn strains to see the top of the hill. He looks prepared to fire when he sees the beast.

OOC: Ready action shoot. To hit: 16 (9+7) Damage: 3 (1d6)
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-27 at 09:05 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

28. - Top - End - #568

Darius

"I may not be a genius, but I know a bit about birds of prey after a life of hunting. It was circling above us, that means it thinks we're dinner.

I don't feel like being dinner."

Currently Playing:
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #569
    Orc in the Playground

Thokk

"Ach, I dont intend on being dinner for anyone, espically not creepy flying beasties or jelly ones..."

*Shoots a dirty look around him*

"Let thine hammer strike true"

30. - Top - End - #570

A giant shadow rises up over the top of the hill, like an inky black tidal wave.

Fizahn and Darius loose their missiles at the monster, hitting it squarely in the center. The arrow and bolt are swallowed up by the darkness, leaving no mark.

The snow continues to crunch as the nightwing seems to ooze down the slope of the hill towards the spring.

Thin spidery cracks cobweb the surface of the spring from where Darius stomped on the ice, but the pool remains frozen solid.

[hr]
    Many of you have heard tales of the various nightshades, powerful undead composed of equal parts darkness and absolute evil. A chill settles in your bones as you face this incarnation of shadowy death ...