New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Lissa

Lissa lowers her rapier slightly, turning to where she heard Trinark. "No! There has to be another way!" She turns toward the sound of water, hoping she's facing the ferry-illithid, and speaks in Undercommon. "Does it have to be a humanoid brain? Something from an intelligent creature? Or can it be, say, an animal brain?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

The illithid's tentacles twitch as Lissa asks her question. It is hard to know whether this represents amusement or irritation.

A talking mole! How surprising! I have heard tales of small, blind burrowing animals from the Upperdark, but I had not realized that they could speak!

Little she-mole, what is the difference between your brain, the brain of an intelligent creature, and the brain of an animal?

Do not worry, little mole, I will require at least 3 pounds worth of brain. Your little head contains not enough to ensure passage for all 16 of you.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

As the boatman revealed his face and stated its claims the necromancer could only stare at it dumbfounded. He had never seen an illithid before being from the surface but he had heard stories about the brain stealers. This wasn't right. How could the creature demand a brain as passage unto the boat? And where on earth where they going to get one?

"Surely there is something else we can barter with boatman. Maybe an item of magic or currency? Something besides the life of one of us or someone else?"

((OOC: Sorry 'bout that. Had trouble staying on my computer for any long period of time.))
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih sits there, thinking. "FISH" he suddenly exclaims. "We can use fish brains, right?"
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

5. - Top - End - #95
    Barbarian in the Playground

Fizahn:

Me, Linda, the Elthans, Druid, Achkby, Lissa, Lumpy, Hajih, Darius, Aeroz, Sherya, Trinark, Callos and his friend. That's only fifteen... "Well, I guess Lissa, Achkby, and I are excluded from cerebral sacrifice. What's the ilithid mean by sixteen? There are only fifteen of us, I think it's trying to rip us off!"
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 08:15 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

6. - Top - End - #96

You see, serpent? You match them in intelligence, yet they treat you like a servant. You are a sentient being, yet it is as if you don't exist in their eyes.

The illithid turns its gaze toward Callos.

What would you offer in place of a brain? You don't even have undergarments ...

7. - Top - End - #97

Elthan II

"I believe he means Eckun, Fizahn, as the 16th member."

*He holds Eckun out on his arm for Fizahn to see.
    The snake speaks(hisses) its reply to the Illithid
    "Granted, they are not the ssmartest of beings, but I'd rather be in a group than a lone ssnake in the grasss. Thiss iss why I stay for my masster."*

"Well said."

"I suppose he'll accept fish, Hajih, if we can get 48 of them to rip thier brains out for us. Otherwise, I second Callos' suggestion. It must not be often that you come upon such a chance as this, is it? A chance to feast so easily, simply by sailing a boat. It must be hard to find others down here willing to throw themselves at you, let alone come near enough to eat. Would you accept an item, that with it, you would not have to search(or barter) for your next meal?"

*He catches the Ioun stone circling him between his thumb and forefinger, holding it to be seen by the Illithid.*

(OOC: having to edit multiple times. Started posting just before DR.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa, gnome-mole

Lissa remains silent for a few moments, then starts giggling. It's clear that she's trying to stop, and equally clear that she's having absolutely no success. Finally the giggles subside enough for her to talk.

"A... talking... mole! Oh, dear gods..." Lissa chuckles a bit more. "I've been called a lot of things, many of them less than complimentary, but I do believe that's the first time anyone's ever called me a mole. I'm a gnome, sir. Sort of like a swirfneblin, except we live in the 'Upperdark', as you called it. Moles are much, much smaller, about the length of... um... a drow's hand from wrist to fingertips, and they've got short fur all over. They're not very talkative, either."

(OOC: We don't have moles where I live, so I'm assuming they're about the same size as a gopher. Which we do have, unfortunately.)

9. - Top - End - #99

Surely you jest, she-mole-that-speaks. I know of gnomes and have eaten the brains of two. Neither was blind. No, you must be a mole. There can be no other explanation.

The illithid seems amused by Lissa's sincerity. Then, he turns the telepathic conversation toward Elthan.

Your understanding of our ways is limited serpent-friend. Only fools like yourselves would attempt to travel through the Middledark and across the Sea without slaves or thralls. I am kept more than adequately supplied by the drow and duergar who routinely require my services.

The illithid pauses before continuing. His telepathic "voice" softens.

I am not, however, completely heartless and unfeeling. Obviously, your group is not prepared to surrender a brain (even one volunteered by your drow companion). I am sure that we can come to a mutually satisfactory alternative arrangement ...

I will accept the ioun stone in exchange for passage for you and your loyal serpent. As for the rest of you, I will require that each of you surrenders your most valuable possession. In return, I offer safe passage to the closest landfall beneath Telflamm.

And you may keep your brains.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Disarmed Ranger

Looking at his rapier, Hajih pulls it into his chest "Can't you just take Lumpy's brain? This is all I got."
    Lords of Madness:

11. - Top - End - #101

Elthan II

*Elthan takes out a set of Sunrod from his pack, and tosses it to Callos, and a set of Leather Armor to Djital.*

"Use those to pay for your way, those are now the most valuable, if not the only, item you posses."

*He walks up to the Illithid to hand him the Ioun.*

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by erikun View Post
    Aww, a griffin! Cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by Collin152 View Post
    Heyheyheyheyheyhey.
    If griffin-hugs are going around, I want in on them!
    Avery: What are you, some kind of grammar nazi?
    Millie: Yep. I've just invaded Grammar Czechoslovakia and duped Grammar Neville Chamberlain, and now it's off to Grammar Poland and Grammar World Conquest!!
    Owner of adorable Wayriltar

12. - Top - End - #102
    Halfling in the Playground

Djital

"You know, I was just going to give him these pants, but they're technically on loan from the Ranger. He holds the leather armor, waiting for confirmation as to whether squid-face wants the pants (Shiny!) or the armor. Switching to Under-Common, he addresses the Illithid.

"Excuse me, you might happen to be able to tell us who is currently posessed by some sort of vengeful, harassing, spellcasting spirit? Surely that would be no challenge for a being of your abilities, and he's blinding people who cast divination spells and such." Djital points to Lissa. "There might not even be any of the original person left- in which case I'm sure any brain that was occupied by a centuries old necromancer would be special."

I better not ask him why my eye is talking to me. Yeah, probably that's not a good idea.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa swallows as the mind flayer makes his announcement. Well, it could be worse. A LOT worse. What do I give him, though? A thought strikes her, and she digs the green gem out of her haversack again. "Okay, does anyone here know anything about gemstones? Fizahn, Aeroz? I need an estimate of how much this thing is worth." The gnome looks slightly irritated. "Ordinarily I'd do this myself... of all the times to be hit with a blindness spell. I swear, when we track down that Sethra, I'm going to make him wish his father never met his mother! Hey Elthan, does he even still have a body of his own? 'Cause it really puts a crimp in most of my revenge plans if he doesn't."

Red-hot tongs... yeah, and then you get out the honey and find a fire-ant hill... or maybe do that first... then tattoo 'LOSER' across his forehead. With dull needles and the cheap oak-gall ink that really, really stings... Evil thoughts, Lissa, evil thoughts! No! Bad girl!

14. - Top - End - #104

The illithid shakes his head.

She-mole, do not try to deceive me. The gem is not the possession that you value the most ...

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa nods, putting the gem away. Ohhh... what I value most, not what's most valuable. Damn. Demon-damn it. I'm sorry, Thokk... Very slowly, she starts to unfasten the silvery brooch from her cloak. Her blind eyes shine suspiciously, but Lissa holds her head up high as she offers the brooch in the ferry-illithid's direction. "My mistake. I thought you meant monetary value. Um, I know this is magical, but I'm not sure how exactly. Thokk..." Her voice falters for a moment. "He might've known, but he... he's not with us anymore."

(OOC: At this point, the brooch is what Lissa emotionally values most, since it belonged to Thokk. Her backpack, weapons, and holy symbol are all valuable but ultimately replaceable; there will never be another Thokk.)

16. - Top - End - #106

Darius

"Wh-what? My bow?" Darius says, with what almost resembles a look of fear on his face.

No, no, no, no! Without it you cannot make it! You cannot live! You must find another way! You must get a brain!

"This entire group is useless without these possessions! I don't care if I have to go down by myself a kill a damn drow to get this brain for you!"

((Damn Darius and his stupid bow.... grumble grumble grumble))
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

17. - Top - End - #107

The ferryman accepts the armor, sunrod, and amulet.

The Elthan clone, Callos, and Djital are allowed on board. The illithid reaches out a claw-like hand, guiding Lissa onto the longboat as well.

You are correct, "Djital-human," there are members of your party who are not who they pretend to be. But it is not my place to reveal their lies. We illithids are, after all, a highly ethical people.

The mind flayer looks over the other members of the party to see if anyone else plans to board, holding out both hands, fingers outstretched.

I shall return in eight of your days. That should give you plenty of time to capture a prisoner or two.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

Once the Illithid started to address the party at large, Lumpy had more or less quieted down in thought. He wasn't much of a negotiator, and knew when to fold his hand. And while the prospect of giving up a brain for passage didn't overly appeal to them, he had had more than a few people worth considering on the matter. The mindflayer's second offer held some merit, though.

Hmm.. Without Grinder, I ain't got much left worth considering. A pack full of junk, A bow I barely use.. My armor, but I can't give that up. The dwarf's amulet's magic, it must be worth something.

19. - Top - End - #109

Lizardkin Druid

Seeing the others acquiece to the illithid's demands in the hope of a swift journey to Teflamn, the reptilian knew a fork in the crossroads had come.

It pained him that the pinkskins willingly dealt with the aberration and his heart he knew that that was a line he would never cross. It would betray the Balance, Semuanya and all that made him Lizardkin. It was shameful enough that he was unable to erase the squid-man from existence.

Sighing, he proceeds next to Sheyra, "Little one, we must speak". He drops to a knee so his face would be closer to hers.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

20. - Top - End - #110

Fizahn:

I don't really have much to give, not much that would be useful to him anyway. Fizahn grudgingly unclasps his cloak. He looks at it one last time before holding it out to the ilithid. I'm certain that this thing has saved my life more than once, might as well make it a third time. "Good luck getting it to fit. It's all yours." Trying to steal it back probably wouldn't be a good idea, would it ilithid?
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 08:20 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

21. - Top - End - #111

Chimera

Sheyra

What's most valuable to me... I guess that's the letter. But I can't give that. I made a promise. My entire nation may fall if I give away the letter.

The young monk turns to Ssathiya when he talks to her.

"Please... don't call me that. My name is Sheyra, please address me as such," Sheyra says, trying not to be rude. She shakes her head. "Anyway, what is it you want to say?"
    And then they made me their cheif.

22. - Top - End - #112

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin blinks at the quick offering of the name. He recovers and looks at her long then sighs.

"You honour me with your name....sShey-ra"

" sSomething you musst know about sSethra. The wizard huntss . You... need to know... that he seeks.... YOU."

He pauses for the words to sink in.
    "I know not why."
    He frowns with effort:
    "Why.. this is so"
    The frown is replaced by a pained expression.
    "I WILL NOT go in the boat... I cannot ask you to stay. Here."
    He swings an arm indicating the Underdark
    "But you... do not... have to go. I can find another path for you and others who remain. The squid-creature is not..natural."
    The lizard's jaw clenchs as his expression switches to one of anger and he looks at sheyra's feet. An action few lizardkin would perform.
    I will not abide by it... or... DO as it asks
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

23. - Top - End - #113
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa sighs and sits down in the boat, fumbling a bit as she fits the sheath back on her rapier. Turning toward the druid's voice, she responds in his language. "I realize that for you, druid, this is like dealing with a devil would be for me. But... well, I at least don't really have a choice." Lissa points to her blind eyes. "Telflamm is my best chance of getting my sight restored. Without eyes that work, I'm little more than a burden... and I refuse to be a burden for any longer than I must." She shrugs. "And so far, the illithid's been more than fair. He could have stuck to his original fee of a brain."

Ewww! That's just... ewww. Happy thoughts, Lissa, before he starts eavesdropping again. Achkby, mmm...

A slight smile plays across the gnome's face. Hey, I wonder if Callos caught those particular thoughts when he was scanning us? Haha, I bet he did! That would explain his expression! Lissa covers a smirk with one hand.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

In the mind of Callos this could only be a good thing. The mind flayer no longer wanted a brain and would instead take the most valuable object that a person had. While that had seemed a problem at first one of the elfs had given him something to barter for. So now they just might be on their way to the surface at last. When Lissa covers her mouth with her hand so soon after laughing her head off it occured to Callos that she might be having inapprobiate thoughts again. Leaning down he whispered to the gnome while trying to keep a straight face.

"Maybe you should concentrate on whats happening instead of thinking of stuff like that."
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

25. - Top - End - #115
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Upon hearing the alternate terms from the Flayer, Trinark knew his decision had been made.

Trinark speaks up to the group, "Friends, I cannot continue on this jounrey. My offered to give myself up for the group, and now I forced to give up a possession I am not willing to. My most prised possession right now is this Longsword, which represents my link to my faith. I am simply unwilling to part with it, period."

"Those of you who are continuing on, I wish you the best of luck and safe conclusion. If any remain behind, I will continue to guide and protect you as best I can."

Trinark moves back away from the boat, observing the rest of the group. Patiently waiting for eveyone to make their decisions.

26. - Top - End - #116

Darius

Darius turns to Trinark.

This one... he has the right idea! Stay behind. You must find a brain, you must hunt!

"You may be a drow, but I think you've earned my trust by now. Frankly, I'd die before going anywhere with my bow, so I think it's time for a hunt.

I'm not sure how long it'll take.... But we have eight days to find someone, kill them, and bring their brain back here.

If you don't want to come, fine. That's your choice. But I'm not giving up this goddamn bow!"

Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

27. - Top - End - #117

Trinark, Darius, and the lizardman step back from the longboat.

The illithid accepts the amulet from Lumpy, the small cloak from Fizahn, and a ring from Linda, allowing all three to board the boat.

Sheyra hesitates, unwilling to part with the letter, but the mind flayer interrupts her thoughts.

It is not the letter itself that you value, it is the promise you made to your father. I find the entire sentiment offensive on many levels.

The illithid's tentacles twitch. It reaches out a knobby finger toward Sheyra's possessions.

Surrender that instead. I have to confess that I have not seen its like before in the Underdark, and something about it intrigues me. What is it that you call it?

The mind flayer is pointing to Sheyra's hairbrush ...

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa turns toward Callos' voice, smirk gone. She whispers back, "If I really thought about what was going on, I'd go as crazy as Darius. That's kinda counterproductive, so I'll stick to my happy thoughts as a coping technique. Don't worry, my ears and my wits are still sharp."

29. - Top - End - #119

Chimera

Sheyra

"This?" she asks holding up the brush. "Oh, uh... It's a hair brush. I guess you can have it. I'll miss it, but it's not worth starving down here for." She looks at the lizardkin apologetically while she hands over the item.
    And then they made me their cheif.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

"Trinark, I'm with you, I'm not going to give up my Rapier to this..."
    He pauses to spit on the ground "creature."
    Lords of Madness: