New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Lumpy

Lumpy watches the others make their decisions, watching who came and went with a guarded expression. In the short run, he didn't care about associating with the mindflayer, or even with giving up something important for the trip. But.. there were other considerations.. He didn't mind leaving either of the humans behind, they tended to be more annoying than he felt they were worth to him. The lizard and the drow were both quiet and straightfoward though, and he appreciated that.

His thoughts drifted for a moment, to his lost flail. He'd already given up what was most precious to him, and he'd be damned if he was going to let the reason for that go to waste. Fixing his gaze on Lissa secure in the boat, he nodded to himself, turning back to the others.

With a twist of one arm, he unslings Darius' sword, the maneuver awkward in his gnarled, unpracticed hands. Laying it down on the rocks before him for the archer to reclaim, he shrugs, his growl as close to apologetic as it can get, "Best'a luck ta ya, then."

With nothing further to add, he turns to cross the ships gangplank, handing the Illithid the Dwarf's amulet as he passes. Finding a spot to hunker down, he settles in broodingly, keeping a close eye on the boatman.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Djital

Setting one foot onto the gangplank, he turns and looks at the remaining members. "Are you coming, or should I stay and starve while we catch some Drow? I'm not keen on leaving anyone behind me, not again, so decide fast."

Under his breath, he mutters to himself and the mind-reading creature. "Maybe there's a place nearby where some pit-elves might be..."

3. - Top - End - #123
    Barbarian in the Playground

Darius

Darius stoops down to take the sword.

"So, this is how it ends, then? If only I'd brung along a hairbrush or some other simple thing to give... It was nice knowing you all, and good-"

A flash crosses Darius' face, his eyes fill with shock and fear and his mouth drops with a gasp.

What am I doing? I'm going to die out here! Alone in th- No! Stay behind! Don't give up the only thing you have left to hold on to!

Almost as quickly as it, his face returned to it's usual composure. But for that moment, he looked almost human. Of all the things you've felt for Darius, pity would be the last one... but some of you feel it now. He sighs.

"Good luck."
    Currently Playing:
    Lotho Vendara, Halfling Rogue, in End of Ages IC/
    OOC

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Sea of Starry Night II [IC]

Callos

As Djital stood on the edge between the boat and the shore Callos went and placed a hand on his shoulder and whispered softly to him.

"Friend, I know that you want all of us to stick together but that may not be possible right now. We have a duty to those who want to keep going to keep them safe and make sure the mind flayer doesn't change it's mind. They've survived this long in the Underdark so the obviously have skill. They can make it until we come back."

The brown haired mage's face was solemn as he let go and stepped to the edge of the boat. He had not known the archer long but from the look on his face it looked as if what the gnome said was true, the man was crazy. Well...he might as well. Stepping up to Darius, the mage bowed low and when he straightened he intoned softly.

"May the Great Lady of Magic protect this lost soul in this period of darkness. May the power of the Weave guide him back to the rightness of mind that he deserves. And lastly...may he survive to escape this oppressing darkness and see light and hope once more. I didn't know you archer and I still don't. Still that is no reason for me to judge you or to let you part ways without a parting word. May your will be strong and your blade bright." At the end of his blessing the mage held out his arm in the traditional adventurer's grasp.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #125

Lizardkin Druid

The lizardkin nods understandingly at the monk. His face a mixture of relief, worry and guilt. With a calm smile, he asks "Will you go with my blessing ?"

He places two open palms on Sheyra's head and chants for various spirits to watch over her. He paused as he cam to mentioning the spirits of the sky but then continued onward.
    "Guard your back.Spirit of the wolverine, Fizaaahn...knows so he will aid you."

He pauses before holding her by her shoulders and saying,
    " I promise. I WILL find you again............Wait for me. The visions show you ..attacked in the land under the sky............................................... ........................ Do not leave this realm of night..yet. "

He looks at the boat standing up and then back down at her."DO NOT trust anyone else"

His words had been soft enough so only Sheyra could hear them. He bows his head slightly to her and then turns and looks long and hard at Fizahn who had been standind by the gunwale, waiting for others who might be joining the boat. Fizahn's face had a hard expression on him but understanding dawns as he sees the lizardman step away from the girl and his face softens and he nods his understanding.

The lizardkin's shoulders slump a little and he raises his hand in farewell before walking off to the end of the jetty.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aeroz shakes his head sadly, then passes his bracelet of levitation to the mind flayer. Achkby seems even more distressed, almost apoplectic, as he turns over his precious wand of magic missiles. The halfling walks across the gangplank with his shoulders slumped, as if he had just lost his closest friend.

The other Elthan seems greatly conflicted. He shifts from foot to foot, as he struggles to make his decision. In the end, he decides to board the ferry, surrendering a worn, leather-bound book.

"This was the journal of a brave wizard named Sarloc who died centuries ago. I hope that you read it and learn something about the meaning of love and great sacrifice."

[hr]
    Darius accepts the return of his greatsword, while Sheyra receives the lizardman's benediction. Goodbyes are said, and without further ceremony the illithid unties the longboat from its moorings, coiling the thick ropes on the deck. A myriad of ripples appears from underneath the boat, and silently the ferry begins to pull away from the dock ...

OOC: Last chance for Darius, the lizardman, Hajih, or Trinark to catch the ferry, and the last chance for any of the other members of the party to decide to stay behind.

7. - Top - End - #127

Djital

"Yeah.. Yeah, you're right. I couldn't actually stay behind now that most of them are going on the boat. I just hate to see someone face the chances of never seeing the sun again."

He gesticulates at Darius, trying to persuade him to not stay behind. "You could buy the bow back later at our next destination if it is a town, and in most towns there tend to be unsavory people that are not mourned when missing. Or when they turn up headless. I'll help you when the time comes, it will be a.. bonding experience. The same might also go for you and your rapier, Hajih. But perhaps it is these pants that are the more valuable? The boat is frellin' LEAVING! Get on!

8. - Top - End - #128

Darius

Darius shakes Callos' hand. "Thank you."

Well you can't give up the bow, but-

He hears Djital calling him as the boat leaves. ""Hey you! Boatman! Is there anything else I can do? As far as I know, this bow is one of a kind!" He says, rushing to the end of the dock.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

Lissa

Lissa sniffs a bit, waving in the general direction of the shore. "May Baravar watch over all of you! Are you sure you won't come, Hajih? I'm sure you could use Thokk's sword. Darius, you're a good swordsman. And besides... do you really need a magical bow to hit your targets? A real archer can score a kill with any kind of bow." Heh, he'll be pissed at me, but if this works it'll be worth it. She switches to Draconic. "Druid, your hunt rests now on a decision. Which do you hate more, Sethra or the illithid?" And finally, Lissa switches to Undercommon. "I know how I would feel about an artifact of Baravar, Trinark. And I don't know your goddess. I suppose you have to ask yourself whether she would rather see you live and give up her gift or keep it and possibly starve."
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Snark View Post
    Well if SANE science could fix this problem it would have been done already

10. - Top - End - #130

The illithid has drawn his hood back over his head and now stands at the bow (formerly the stern) of the longboat, facing out toward the open Sea. He does not turn in response to Darius' question, but his telepathic response is clear enough.

Your brain or your bow for safe passage. It matters little to me which.

11. - Top - End - #131

Lizardkin Druid

Ssathiya stood motionless as Lissa's words rang out. He smiled as he remembered the bravery and antics of the gnome.
    Truly..the gnomes are the most unique of all pinkskins

He stands, wondering as to the thougts of Semuanya. It was strange that his god would guide him to the key to restoring the Balance and saving the people and then separate their paths.

The Boat was never a choice. The hunt had become harder. The risks greater.Especially with a malevolent spirit that might be Sethra possessing a packmate and endangering Sheyra. Even more so now that he wasn't there to stop it.

Ssathiya understood why elders advised no lizardkin to venture beyond the hunting grounds alone and why no pack or group was one. He had changed so much since the journey began. He was not even sure if the people would accept him if they knew his thoughts. It would be against the lizardkin way.

If I had followed Sheyra onto the boat, driven by the hunt..I would lose all that made me lizardkin. If the others were not hungry and desperate to escape danger to safety, I would have stopped them.

Standing there, watching the baot move away, he turns and looks at the companions beside him.
    Not whom I would have chosen to remain behind. Still I am glad that by doing so, they respect The Balance

A growling stomach reminds him. In order to survive, they had to find food.
    Raik
    Horsbain
    Ssathiyaa
    Proud owner of a kojitar
    Ken

Law of fight statistics: Speed is always better then power, except when power is better then speed.
    Spoiler
    Show

"We're on the verge of fighting an ancient necromancer and your out buying a horse?" - King of Griffins
    Quote Originally Posted by bhdrake View Post
    Lumpy
    Lumpy's tone is more even more brusque than usual,
    "I'd rather walk."

12. - Top - End - #132

Darius

Lissa's words seem to once again bring out that strange, desperate look in his eyes.

Wait- You're no REAL archer! You killed your own brother because you thought you could handle a bow! You're worthless! No! It wasn't your fault! You're going to die out here! GET ON THE #$@!ing BOAT!!!

"Wait!!! Darius cries. He hurtles down the dock, not stopping for a second to look back. Leaping off the rocky edge he soars onto the deck. He rolls over onto his back, bow outstretched in his right hand, panting heavily.

You're making a mistake! I'll return! I'll- It is time to show these people who you are, your life isn't over because of a mistake. Show them who you can truly be.

"My God." Are the only words Darius can say.

((Well, I was planning to wait until we left the Underdark, but eh...))
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger
    After hearing Lissa mention Thokk's sword, Hajih starts thinking. As he sees the boat pulling away, he runs down to the dock, jumping onto the boat.

He holds his shelthed rapier out to the mind flayer.
    Lords of Madness:
    Putting the 'Love' back in 'Lovecraft'

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Trinark, Drow Cleric

Trinark sees the last minute change of heart of Darius and Hajih and frowns deeply. He starts to raise his hand to wave farewell, but then thinks better of it.

Trinark begins unstrapping Sedryn's armor, removing most of it. He leaves the bottom-most layer of leather intact, knowing he needs something to protect him from the cold.

He turns to the Lizardfolk, "If you desire, I will assist you in getting back to the surface. It may take some time, but I believe if we are cautious we can make it."

15. - Top - End - #135

The illithid takes the bow and rapier without comment. Hajih and Darius look back to see Trinark and the lizardman standing on the pier.

Since the only illumination is the single lantern dangling from the bare mast on the longboat, the drow and lizardman are swallowed up by darkness remarkably quickly.

The mind flayer busies himself with sorting through the items the party has given up. The longboat glides through the black water swiftly and silently.

Off to starboard, a black shadow looms marking the rocky cliffs that line the Sea.

The party is quiet for a while, thinking about the possessions lost, the companions left behind, and the uncertain future ahead ...

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"Well...this is depressing. Hopefully the drow can lead that lizardman on a safe passage up to the surface." At that Callos shook his head and went over to the side of the boat, peering down into the waters to be alone with his thoughts. A lot had happened in past few days and it still needed to be sorted out.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

17. - Top - End - #137

Darius

With a shocked expression he heads over to any sort of secluded area he can find, nook, cranny, something like that. He bends over his head and covers his arms with his face, shivering uncontrollably.

"Oh my god, oh my god...
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

Slowly as Callos stares into the water around the boat and up at the rocks that slowly seem to go by he reached a decision. They have a right to know, espicially Djital. So with a low groan and a quick pump of his legs he spun around to face the rest of the people on the boat (except the mind flayer) and sat cross legged.

"I suppose that we have a lot of time on our hands until we get to Telflamm and I would rather let all of you know something about me along the way. And before anyone says anything, yes it is a way to gain your trust. Some things my friend will already know some he won't so he better listen too. I wasn't born in the same place as Djital though my mother moved us there when we where young enough that it amounts to the same thing. From what she said we came from the "north and to the west of that funny looking round rock". When I was young I didn't fit in because of my obession with reading though I still got to know a few people. After Djital left with the wanderlust, I decided to get my studies into full swing...as a necromancer. And please don't misunderstand! I'm not the kind of necromancer who raises the undead and goes on madness driven schemes of conquest, but because of this many people take an instant disliking to me. Like the mages at the dig site. You see its my belief that negative energy is...misunderstood. That its not as inherently evil as most believe but rather it is used for evil purposes. Anyway during my apprenticeship I was indentured to one of those crazier necromancers. Hmph, I was his favorite because I had a consience. I saw...horrible things before I went back to my home in disgust. If I had to do the things I saw to be a great mage then I'll more then happily give it up were my thoughts. That was when Djital came back to see what I was up too. And...this is just so you don't find out later in the heat of combat where you might make assumptions but I to can make others blind or deaf through the use of magic. But to my knowledge I did nothing of that sort to Lissa, on this I swear!"

Taking a deep breath Callos looked around at the others on this boat warily as if expecting them to jump up and push him off the boat. A slightly haunted look came to his eyes before the well guarded face that he seemed to always have up replaced it.

19. - Top - End - #139

Chimera

OOC: Sense Motive, please?

Sheyra listens carefully to the story, trying to determine if any of it is untrue.
    And then they made me their cheif.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Going over to Lissa, Hajih asks "Hey Lissa, it's me, Hajih. I believe you promised the use of Thokk's Sword?"
    Lords of Madness:

21. - Top - End - #141

Sheyra watches Callos' body language carefully and monitors his speech for any strained inflections or contradictions that might indicate deception. As he speaks, she relaxes, sensing that he is being open and honest with the group.

As Hajih approaches Lissa, Aeroz taps him on the shoulder. "Here, I have it. I hope it brings you more luck than it brought the dwarf."

The sword is long, straight, and well-forged. Hajih accepts it with gratitude.

There is a pregnant pause as everyone waits to see if anyone else wants to share a story ...

22. - Top - End - #142

Djital

After Callos finishes, Djital shifts in his seat uneasily. Since almost everything is out in the open, he sighs and speaks. "And for what it's worth.. I was a lawyer-in-training before the open road caught my soul. Now you know my dark secret, too."

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

Hajih holds the sword out, speechless for a moment.
    "Wow, I’m honoured." He pauses for a moment.
    "Anyways, I suppose if 'The Naked Wonder' is sharing his story with the group, I mind as well tell my story. At least as much as I remember."
    "The last job I had was similar to this one, I met up with several folks working as mercenaries and tagged along. "They were hunting a tribe of Bugbears who had killed the family of my companions."
    He shakes his head and continues the story "Long story short, the goblins found us before we could find them, the three of them fought off the Bugbears."
    "However, they were a little late, I got knocked on the head and was left for dead. After that, I wandered into town and met you folks about to weeks later."
    Lords of Madness:

24. - Top - End - #144

Fizahn:

"Wow! A lawyer in training Djital! How far did you get because I might need a lawyer a few weeks or so after we get to civilization." Fizahn says this jokingly, but you can guess that there's a good possibility he might. He looks out over the rest of the group, examining them all. Then he pauses for a second, gazing out over the ocean. I don't want to think about my past but I could probably clear up a few things about how we found Sethra. "If there's anyone who wants to hear about Sethra, now is the time to ask."
    Last edited by Erikkin; 2007-08-26 at 08:25 PM.
    Fizahn
    Erikkin

Fizahn avatar by Koji.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

Callos

"I for one would be very interested in hearing who in the Nine Hells Sethra is. All Lissa told me was that he was a...wait..YOU were going to be a lawyer Djital?" And after he finished that last statement Callos doubled over and began to laugh hard, sides heaving as he rolled back and forth on the boat for a bit before sitting up wiping a tear from his eye.

26. - Top - End - #146

Darius

Darius continues to shiver rapidly, beads of sweat come gushing off of him, rapidly pooling at his feet. Suddenly he begins to shake violently, makes a strange gargling noise in his throat, and vomits onto the floor of the boat.

In a weak raspy voice he begins to speak of his past, "My story..." he rasps, "Has ended. It is done, finished, over with. There is no going back, there is no changing the past. There is nothing I can do. The first half, peaceful and tranquil. I lived in some small village, nothing notable. I don't even remember the places name. I lived with my father, the town pastor of Tyr, my mother, and my brother Aerek.

My brother Aerek and I used to go out hunting, we were so young. Too young to know of the political troubles our village was having. However we weren't too young to know death when we saw it. After returning joyously from a succesful hunting trip we saw the flames rising into the sky. Those flames... tearing at the straw, consuming wood and grass and flesh. Those flames have followed me forever.

There were men in the town, strange men I had never seen before, they wore mail and had shining swords. They were ransacking the town, tearing through people I had known and loved. My brother tried to pull me away. He cried that we had to get out of there, but I ran in... That was the first time I used my bow to kill a human...

The only survivors were my brother and I, somehow two little kids had managed to slaughter an entire score of men. Rage can make you do strange, strange things. Well, my brother and I went off to find some way to start again, to find a new place to call home...

We traveled for a year, maybe more, living off the land. Then along the road we met a man clad in robes, he ran to us with a desperate look on his face. 'They're going to kill me! You must protect me! Everyone has gone insane!' We waited for him to calm down and then listened to his story. Something was wrong with the villagers in the nearby coastal town, they had all apparently gone crazy. We were young, foolish, we didn't question anything.

The man lived in a small tower a mile or two outside of the town. He promised us gold if we would wait outside and stop all the intruders that tried to enter. Hours after the sun went down, we saw torches in the distance. The flames were flickering in the darkness many yards away. We heard shouts and cheers, the mob was getting closer. They broke into a run and charged towards the tower. We shot down dozens and dozens but they wouldn't stop coming. The last we killed at the tower's gates with our swords.

It was then that the wizard came outside. He thanked us for our help, but something seemed strange about him. He had an unnatural gleam in his eyes. He began to wave his hands and chant, and we saw one of the bodies rise up. He was no wizard, he was a necromancer."
    Darius gives Callos a strange look.

"Nothing dead should ever come to life once more, no matter how much they are missed. We were filled with shame for what we had done, we had killed scores of innocent people so a madman could raise them to work his evils upon the world. Yet another burden I had to carry. We fought with the necromancer, and after a quick skirmish my brother slew him with an arrow in the chest...

At least, we thought he slew him. As we turned to leave a whooshing sound came from behind us. I turned to see a firey blast radiating from the necromancer's hands. I fell to the floor, managing to avoid most of the blow, but my brother was consumed. The fire, the same fire that has never left me, tore him apart. When I could see again, my brother was nothing but a husk and the necromancer was about to finish me off. Full of rage, more than would seem possible, I shot him dead in the forehead.

Looking back on it, it was kind of beautiful. Notching the arrow, pulling back the drawstring, and letting it soar all in a split second. The blood sprayed all over the ground and my face as the man collapsed into a heap on the floor. This time I made sure he was dead. I took my brothers corpse, leaving the necromancer with three arrows in the head.

I buried him in a nice, peaceful spot. A secluded area in the woods somewhere. I said my prayers to Tyr for him and then left. I bought my bow, so I could turn the fire that had wronged me against my enemies. I traveled the land, but all my exploits of that time were all a blur. The only constant was that the fire kept following me, I thought it was gone, but it was deep inside me soul... probably still is.

All these years I've had nothing to live for, no reason to keep going, no goals, no way to get revenge. All that I can do is sit and watch as the years go by, as the fire consumes my soul. Whatever I did I was always just along for the ride, I never cared about who I helped or what I did.

I can't live, yet somehow I'm still living. I say a prayer to Tyr every time I notch an arrow so I can try and find some reason for my life. But of life I've learned this: there is no reason, all you can do is live. I don't know what has happened to me over the past few days, I believe the darkness inside of me finally won. It's just been a hopeless struggle, but when I gave away that firey bow just now, I think I gave away the darkness inside of me. I don't know if it's still there, I don't really know anything... I don't even know who I am. But I know that all I can do is keep myself alive, keep all of you alive. And that's what I plan to do, we aren't dying down here.

Who am I? What's my purpose? I don't know anymore, but I think I used to, and I just hope some day my reason for living will return."

Darius finishes.

His knees are weak and shaky, but he manages to rise to his feet. Holding onto the rail with his left hand, he gazes off into the darkness, watching the stars...
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy, Half-Orc Warrior

The dour half-orc looks less than impressed by Darius's story. He growls low, his tone a touch cold,

"That's about the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Who needs a reason ta live? The whole point'a living is just that, being alive. The fact that ya ain't slit yer own throat proves that."

He gives the archer an appraising look, his voice softening slightly,

"I've served beside hundreds'a people with sad stories ta tell, and not one'a them ever let it reduce them ta a useless sobbing git. Because they decided that being alive was worth living for."

Throwing a glance at Lissa, as if to ensure she's still there, and to the boatman, one of distrust, the burly orc picks his way across the deck over to Darius, armored footfalls heavy against the deck. Craning his head back to look the man straight in the eye, he unslings his heavy bow and quiver, shoving them roughly in his direction, speaking sharply,

"So buck up, so I don't have ta toss ya overboard. That bow's seen me through seven years a militias and bush fighting, two border wars, and another four as a sellsword. Don't let it go to waste."

With nothing further ta add, the now-unarmed orc shuffles back over to his original position, resuming his wary watch over the boat's occupants.

28. - Top - End - #148

Darius

"Who needs a reason to live? Well, I just know my life had one once, and I was a lot better off then.

Now I have no reason, so tell me Lumpy... why is life worth living for? Because I when I get out of here I fully intend to slit my own throat.

Darius lets Lumpy come up to him and meets his gaze with cold eyes. He keeps his arms across his chest, not taking the bow from the half-orc. If the half-orc pushes it he lets the bow drop to the deck.
    Currently Playing:
    OOC

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hajih, Human Ranger

"So Lumpy, my dear idiot, should you hit him or should I?"
    Hajih looks at Darius from his position on the floor.
    Lords of Madness:

30. - Top - End - #150
    Orc in the Playground

Lumpy

Lumpy snorts, "Then yer useless.. Completely useless, and it's yer fault."

He throws a look at Hajih, a touch of irritation in his voice, "Hit him? Hells, I say we throw him overboard. I don't need some mopy brat pissing me off and risking everyone else's life down here."