New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Envy the Dead

1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Envy the Dead

Life used to be easy. Complaints were tiny, huge as they may have seemed at the time, but you can realise now that you had it made. Food, hot, running water, even entertainment - all at your beck and call.

It's not been long since the zombies came, but you are already feeling the pinch. These aren't your classic weak, clumsy shamblers; they are strong as oxen, able to use clubs and weapons, open doors and windows, their senses are as keen as a human's, they are capable of uncanny bursts of speed and worst of all nigh-unstoppable.

Of course, people went insane when they broke out. Widespread looting and vandalism crossed the land, people murdered each other over resources or settled scores in the confusion - they needn't have bothered, when so few of the zombies were about. Their actions made everything much, much worse. Zombies stroll around the streets, infected through confusion; the people afflicted were those trapped or trampled during looting sprees, the slow, the stupid and those who were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then, their numbers increased exponentially, and they soon outnumbered the survivors.

It's three months on. Luckily, the electricity, water and gas mains can run unmanned for some time, so once you had holed up nicely in this big house just on the outskirts of Norcrest and filled the baths with water, you were able to live with some semblance of normality, besides the fact that you could not safely go outside.

After some time, though, it was inevitable that the water and power supplies would shut off - which they did, a while ago - and that the water you had in the baths would soon after run out - which it is about to do - so, as it seems, you are going to have to move somewhere where there is a quantity of drinkable natural water. There is still a certain amount of food in the house, but what with it being summer as well as the number of people left, it doesn't look like the water will last long.

...more scared of the living...

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Envy the Dead

Frank

About how much water do we have left? Frank inquired directly. He was not going to avoid the problem, they were going to have to deal with collectively and with cool heads. He was also starting to feel the tension rise as the food and water ran out.

We should start preparing to leave this hellhole of a house. He looked around the house and rather not think of how much worse it would be outside the boarded up windows and doors.
    Last edited by rollelectric; 2010-07-25 at 02:19 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

"Leave? Are you crazy? We have two children with us!" Nathan exclaimed, from his seat nearby. Shiloh was in his lap sleeping- not like there was much else to do trapped in this house. The fear was already welling up in his throat, not only for himself but for the fact they would probably lose someone in the escape, and it probably wouldn't be the ex-spy or the heavy metal guy.

Nathan ran a hand down his face to rub his several weeks of untrimmed scruff. "We have no place in mind, no way to get there, and no way of knowing if there is better than here.."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rollelectric View Post
    About how much water do we have left?
    "Not quite enough for a day," says Sigurd, running his hand through the long hair on half his head, "But if we factor in evaporation - it's getting hotter by the day - probably quite a bit less."

Quote Originally Posted by Kensington View Post
    "Leave? Are you crazy? We have two children with us! [...] We have no place in mind, no way to get there, and no way of knowing if there is better than here..."
    "Wherever we go, it's better than watching your body dry out by the day, unless you want to start drinking your own urine, and the blood of the weaker ones," says Ironblood from the corner, grinning as he picks scales on his guitar.
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-07-25 at 03:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Leave? But those things are always out there. We'd have to fight our way out. You've seen them just as I have.

Shaking in his fear, he tried to cover the it with logic, safe cold logic.

Alright, we'd need a place to go. A way to get there. And all the supplies we'd need to get there. Does anybody know if there is a river nearby, one that's relatively clean, that we could draw water from. Someplace near it that we can fortify, like a cave, or a sturdy house. Does anybody see car or two, or better yet a truck, that we could hot-wire? Then, we'd need to pack up all the food... Are we sure we have to leave? He failed to cover the fear... He was safe here, he was making good friends with everyone, and any day now the Army or something was going to rescue them and he could go back home, back where none of this was happening at all.

He went over to a window, and spied out between a crack between the boards, looking for some kind of vehicle that didn't looked wrecked.

Simple Perception Check (1d10+6)[4](10)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

"i told you guys we should of been pissing in the baths, atleast it would of lasted alot longer, and it wouldnt of tasted too bad, it would of been watered down wouldnt it?" Jimmy smiles.

"anyway, thats not the issue anymore. as i see it, weve got two options. one. we can go out to find a source of water locally and bring as much back as possible. or two, we go and hole up somewhere we can keep a much larger quantity of water." Jimmy simply sits in the corner as he says this, sharpening his blade. He doesnt even look up as he says it, if he didnt reply, you would of thought he was either deaf or ignoring you.

"heh, i wonder how snake eyes and the others are doing back in the prison, makes you wonder since its so secure there, if they got left there to die, or are surviving in the safest place around." Jimmy mumbles to himself
    easy 1 step guide to impersonating Sean Connery;
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    Phn'glui mglw'nafh Roland GITP not-wagn'nagl not-fhtagn!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Steve was lying flat on the floor while others were discussing the matter of survival. The young DJ recently came to a conclusion that the best way to save off energy (and supplies) was to lay down and meditate - if there was nothing else to do in order to keep everybody safe. But the group was beginning to worry about the present situation and tried to come up with a solution. This made Steve stand up and wait for his turn.

In my opinion, moving out of here is a necessity. I'm not saying we need to leave this house and never come back but a short voyage to find more supplies and fresh water is really what we should focus on right now, especially if there's children with us.

That last remark was directed at Nathan, who's concern about his young girl was more than obvious.

If you don't want to go anywhere, you can stay here, take care of children and wait until we come back. If I remember correctly, we are in pocession of three cars, two sedans and a mini. How is the status of their gas tanks? Frank, Sigurd, Luca?

Preceding their reply, Steve quickly added one more suggestion.

We could split ourselves into teams and set off to gather supplies and maybe (if there's enough time before dusk) find a better shelter. What do you say?

That last question was incquired indirectly to the whole group or at least those listening.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

The mention of the children caused Frank to look up. He quickly brought his gaze back to the front door and spoke again. He ignored Jimmy's comment about urinating in the water and responded in general.

I think if we plan to stay here, we have to find a ton of water and food elsewhere. Then we could bring it back...but, I think we need to know a lot more about the area before we can go ahead with any plan. We need to find a good source of food and water. I would like to if at all possible know where we are going before we start running through herds of hungry dead people.

In response to Steve's question Frank thought about his ancient sedan. The paint was chipping in many places and thanks to some teenagers it was covered with dents and a missing side-view mirror. But, it ran.

My car should be okay, but I haven't started since we got here. It isn't exactly in top shape. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't start.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Nathan perked up at the suggestions of protecting the safety of his children, and was glad at least some of them agreed to put them first. "I'd be willing to go, if its just a scouting run." The man was obviously afraid, rubbing his arm protectively. A sharp whisper of 'Daddy, no don't' was heard from his lap.

"Where exactly are these cars, can we get to them without drawing much... unwanted attention?" He stroked his growing scruff again, contemplating. "A scouting run is a good idea but those of us that go should also look for a better place to stay and how we can get there quickly when its all of us. I know I'm worried about my daughter, but we can't just stay here."

"Maybe we could find a plane or something, the whole world probably isn't like this." Shiloh piped in.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

"Scouting? I might be able to find bits to build a shortwave transmitter, see if there is anyone else out there," he thought to himself.

Simple Willpower test to overcome Coward (1d10+4)[2](6)

But his fear overcame him, I'll stay here, If you see any radio equipment or fresh batteries, grab them. We'll need them to feed the flashlights and I might be able to set up some kind of radio communication.
    Last edited by cantdrawatall; 2010-07-26 at 06:30 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Patrick fiddled with his multi-tool absentmindedly listening to the group argue about what they should do, finally he spoke up.
    "Well our options aren't exactly pleasant but dying of dehydration isn't really appealing let's send a scouting party out and see if we can find someplace better, or at least some more food and water. I know there is a river flows to the south we could make our way out there...or we can venture into the city and hope that everything hasn't been looted or destroyed."
    He knew that the second option could be considered a suicide mission but it wasn't like they had a choice, supplies weren't going to start falling out of the sky afterall.
    I'll volunteer to go, anyone else willing to come?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Following Patrick's suggestion, Steve quickly replied.

Are you aware of any houses by that river? If so, then we could easily move our whole group there, since we would have a constant source of fresh water. Plus we would have to move our supplies there.

Alluding to the remarks made by Jack, he queried:

You could set up a radio communication? Then you definitely need to come with us to the city and look for any helpful equipment. I don't think we would be any better in finding it, since you're the expert here.

After a short process of thinking and connecting facts, he finalised his speech.

OK. Here's my proposition and I think we should settle whether you agree with this or not. We are a group large enough to divide ourselves into two teams: one of them needs to travel down south and look for that river and maybe any shelter close to it; the other one will go to the city in order to look for supplies and hopefully any parts to make a radio with. I'd be willing to go to the city.

Grabbing his baseball bat and putting on his backpack with the first aid kit inside, he waited for a reply.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

"theres no point going to the river if your intentions are for water. unless we can find the source of the river and we can garentee that it isnt infected. since the river could have some zombie body lying in it a mile or 2 upstream, making all the water undrinkable unless we want to be infected. we dont know the extent of how this can spread, so we have to play it safe."
    step 1: repeat after me "I moustache you a question, but I'm shaving it for later."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Me? Go with you to the city?

(1d10+4)[3](7) (stupid Cowardice, drag him along if you want. He needs some excitement. )

I don't think I should. I'd just slow you all down if something bad happened. Besides, someone has to stay here and man the fort, so to speak. Just bring back any radios or microphones or speakers you can find.
    Last edited by cantdrawatall; 2010-07-27 at 10:28 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

"theres no point going to the river if your intentions are for water. unless we can find the source of the river and we can garentee that it isnt infected. since the river could have some zombie body lying in it a mile or 2 upstream, making all the water undrinkable unless we want to be infected. we dont know the extent of how this can spread, so we have to play it safe."
    Then where else do you think we can find fresh water? There is definitely a point in going there. I agree, we should find its source by walking UP the river until we reach it, don't you think so?

I don't think I should. I'd just slow you all down if something bad happened. Besides, someone has to stay here and man the fort, so to speak. Just bring back any radios or microphones or speakers you can find.
    Jack, if you don't want to come along, no one is making you. So you're saying radios or speakers would be good enough? I'll try to look for some, while we're in the city.

Come on people, make up your minds. Are we going anywhere or not?

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

"Of course we are- but we are coming back here, right?" Nathan asked, moving his daughter off his lap and standing, to make sure the plan still suited him. "I'll join the water seeking team, if no one has any objections. Its an important mission.. I really don't think its a good idea to go into the city. But it might be a necessary one. I wish you guys God-Speed, and good luck to us all." He fidgeted a little and rubbed his arm.

"I haven't had a cigarette in five years, but I sure wish I had one now." He mumbled to himself.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

The city? Wouldn't that be a bit crowded? I'm okay with going out and about, but I'd be more okay with doing so with better defense. All I really been using to kill...or re-kill these things is the back of my hammer. Oh and a lot of running.

Frank thought to himself. He was getting over anxious, he needed to get the hell out of the house. He was aching to get out and do anything but sit around and wait.

I'd be down with going to the city for some weapons, as well as food. Whatever we can find really.

Frank always wanted to learn how to use a gun, or perhaps a sword. Then another thought occurred to him.

Also, we should be careful of anyone out there, dead or alive. Our group is large enough as is.
    Last edited by rollelectric; 2010-07-27 at 03:01 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

Sigurd draws out his katana. "I'm going to go with the water team. They need more people with them, and I will get to make sure some of the dead remain dead, as they should be."

Luca's stomach rumbles and he speaks up in his rumbling voice. "Water's not so bad. For me, I mean. I'm going to head into town and get some food. Otherwise, my health will go a bit downhill. Everyone will."

"I'm off to get water, too," says Sam. "We can survive a lot longer without food than without water. Sophie, you stay here."

"Why, because I can't handle myself properly?" she says, indignant.

"Yes, that's exactly why."

"I'm stayin' here," says Ironblood, still picking scales. "We need at least one sane person here. I wouldn't put it past Jack to be climbin' the walls if a spider came into the room."
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-07-27 at 04:19 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

"i dont think its too clever splitting up. thining an already thin group, ok, we have kids to protect, but what your proposing isnt just splitting into 2 groups, but 3. now, im sorry, but the smaller the group, the less eyes we have, and the more chance of failure and death, i for one would like to have the best odds possible."

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

"We don't have much of a choice, the kids will slow us down and we need food and water before things become even more desperate, and if we move in too big of a group things will be just as dangerous."

Patrick sighed This arguing is getting us nowhere and in the end we'll still be hungry and thirsty.

He rubbed his chin feeling the stubble that was setting in. "Alright, how about we put it to a vote those that think we should scout out and look for supplies raise your hand." By the time he finished speaking his hand was already in the air, as he looked at the rest of the group, expecting their response.
    Last edited by Lt. Tibbles; 2010-07-27 at 08:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Xsesiv View Post
    "I'm stayin' here," says Ironblood, still picking scales. "We need at least one sane person here. I wouldn't put it past Jack to be climbin' the walls if a spider came into the room."
    Hey! I'm not afraid for nothing, okay? You've seen how I get when I confront those Zombies. The last thing theyd need is me panicking out there. At least here I can help defend. After all, he thought, there is no place to run to from here.

When the vote was called, Jack raised his hand. I agree, we have no choice. There will still be three to four in each group, and that should be just right for this kind of thing. Not too many to get bogged down, but enough to still have good odds. Am I right?
    Last edited by cantdrawatall; 2010-07-27 at 08:31 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frank raises his hand. The scouting group should realistically be only one or two people. Two heavily armed people, but a big group will move too slow. Bringing back supplies, however, will require a good number of men.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Overhearing Nathan's remark about cigarettes, Steve thought to himself about his own little addiction. That was one of the reasons he wanted to go to the city and find anything, that could serve as a relaxant in this extreme situation. Also, finding any type of electrical source would be a heaven-sent, since he would finally be able to recharge his laptop (which he put in his backpack, alongside the first aid kit) and listen to his music during those lonely and hopeless nights.

Noticing people starting to raise hands, Steve quickly interrupted the process.

What's the point of voting? We already made a decision. Come on people, let's get ourselves prepared and get inside those cars. We should be back in this house before it gets too dark.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"this is stupid, but since it seems your all set on it, ill go with you. since not having me with you will reduce your chances further... ill go wherever you want me." Jimmy stands up, lifting his freshly sharpened sword. he takes a hair and runs it across the blade, to check for sharpness.

regardless of the result, he will walk across the room and stop "lets get going then. before it gets too dark."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frank followed Jimmy and Steve on their way out. He wielded his car keys. Thinking about his ten year old sedan, he let himself grin. The old piece of metal had gotten him this far, he knew it wouldn't fail him now.

I'll drive. Who knows the city? You can join us three and navigate. Any volunteers?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

"It'll be nice having you guys along." Nathan said, smirking a bit. "Whose car are we taking? I sure didn't bring one. Wait- hold on a second." He added, walking over to his daughter and leaning down to put his hand on her shoulder. "Honey, I'm going out-"

"I know!" She almost screeched, angry at him for leaving her.

"I'll be back, okay? Don't worry. You be a nice little girl for Mr. Ironblood, alright? Promise me?"

"I promise, Daddy." She sniffled and hugged herself.

Nathan nodded and stood up, walking over to Ironblood and shaking his hand. "Thanks for looking after them." He told the man, before leaning in. "And if I don't come back, make sure she stays safe, alright pal?" He whispered, glancing over at Shiloh one more time before going to rejoin his water scouting party. "So, whose driving?"
    Last edited by Kensington; 2010-07-28 at 02:14 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Jack went over to where he kept his things. He shifted his carry on bag, always packed and at the ready, and picked up his cricket bat.

Coming back into the main room, And you also have a good old Uncle Jack to look out for you. Your daddy will be fine. He will be back before you even notice.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Luckily, no zombies seem to be in the immediate vicinity, but presumably further into the city, there will be more of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by rollelectric View Post
    I'll drive. Who knows the city? You can join us three and navigate. Any volunteers?
    Jimmy, Steve and Luca get into Frank's car.

"I know my way. About the city," says Luca, before getting into the back seat.

"Thanks for looking after them." He told the man, before leaning in. "And if I don't come back, make sure she stays safe, alright pal?"
    Ironblood shakes Nathan's hand, his left hand still fingering notes on the guitar's fretboard. "Hah, most of the time people are draggin' their children away from me, thinkin' I'm some kind of murderin' rapist. Don't worry, man, the kid'll be safe. I'll slaughter anythin' that tries to get into the house."

Sophie rolls her eyes and heads upstairs for no apparent reason.

"So, who's driving?"
    "I'll do it," says Sigurd, climbing into his car. "Hold that, someone," and he passes his scabbarded katana into the back seat. Sam shoves his briefcase into the boot before getting into the front seat.
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-08-06 at 02:13 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Frank climbs into his car and turns the key in the ignition saying a silent prayer as he does so. He turns to Luca.

This car has not failed me yet, let's see how it handles running over the dead. Can't believe there are none around here to tell ya the truth.

Frank turns to Luca before setting off.

Okay Luca, where to? We need food and water first. And guns and other large killing devices secondly.

Then he presses down on the gas and begins his drive to the city. Following the road as far as it takes them.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

"Food? I'd say the supermarkets. If I wasn't so sure they'd been raided already. Warehouses, maybe. Same for the police station. For guns, I mean. That's pretty much the only place you can find them. And Army barracks, but there's none of them for miles. They'd be hard to get into. If there were any nearby. They still would be, but there aren't.

The second the car is out of this street, a few zombies are visible staggering up and down the road. One of them, the half-rotted corpse of a tall, bald man with a bite mark in his neck, is halfway across the road, and as the battered sedan approaches, it leaps at the car like a shot. It smashes against the windscreen of the car with ridiculous force, flattening its foul, rotting face against the glass, so that you can briefly see the pus oozing from its eyes and nose, and the ropes of drool hanging from its mouth. The fluids smear onto the windscreen horribly.

Luckily, the bonnet of the car slowed the bullrush enough that the glass doesn't break, and the zombie, despite visible efforts to stay attached to the car, rolls over the roof to land in a crumpled heap behind the sedan - such was the force of its charge. A few seconds later, it forces itself to its feet and begins staggering after the car. This would be bad enough if there weren't two more ahead to deal with.
    Last edited by Xsesiv; 2010-07-28 at 05:41 PM.