New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pokemon IC

You are in a stone brick building in the town of Branta. As you recieve your identifier card and the instructions for how to reach the first gym the aging man gives you a serious look.

"If you treat this like a game you won't survive. Until they're in an orb and under your control they are still monsters, they will not hesitate to kill you if you don't remember this fact. There's no reset button, no place where you can heal all your wounds for free whenever you like. Good luck."

And with that he nods and moves off. That's it, you are officially enrolled in the pokemon league. The Pokemon League tournament is less than a year away and you three are starting at the absolute bottom of the ladder. Better get moving.

Leaving the building you are in a sunny town, maybe a mile across surrounded by a 12ft wall manned by guards and a river running through the centre. The streets are wide and the buildings are a fairly uniform two story type. If you looked at it for the first time you'd have no idea that below it was one of the best Pokemon research labs in the world, the rumour is that they're developing a Pokeball that works without fail, calling it a Masterball or something. The majority of the towns inhabitants are the lab employees and their families, though there others who have set up shop to keep the lab employees going; shops, taverns, spiritualists etc.

There is a blue flag on each of the poles on the wall, meaning no immediate threat of attack so traffic is free to come and go through the wall.

The directions you were given tell you to head East into the rocky hills, there is a gym leader who has set up shop there. Of course you can go somewhere else, but that's the nearest (hence why they're sending you in that direction).
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokemon IC

Will takes a moment to ponder what sorts of critters might live in the local area.
    (Knowledge Nature)
    (1D20+8)[26]

He then decides to ask one of the gate guards about what kinds of critters they've heard tales about.

(Gather Information)
    (1D20+4)[20]

He politely thanks the guard for his time with a gold (-1gp, went from 8 to 7).
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-08-05 at 05:26 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr. Flynn

This place is grim, Lonovan Flynn. I look upon the faces of those walking the streets and see sorrows churning under their skin, pulling them down as would a riptide. You can sense it, can't you? Let them feel their sorrow...

Despite the mad whispers in his head from a being lost from both heaven and hell the half-elf looks surprisingly happy to be in town. He wanders absently, his eyes flicking between his identification card and each unwed mother and beaten child. The fact that the child was swinging happily from the arms of both of its parents apparently never occurred to the mad whisperer. As he wanders he tries to get directions to a general store as he seems to have used up the last of his chalk and his rope, oh god his rope. That was a memory he didn't need to drudge up.

As he wanders he hitches his shoulder up every so often to reposition what seems to be a small stuffed bird. He wasn't wearing his eyepatch, but his long coat and hat certainly helped him fit the typical description of an old salt, perhaps even a pirate. His hair is a dark brown, kept on the shorter end but long enough to keep out the chilled wind of the seas if it had to. His eyes are a vibrant green and if one studied them closely enough he seemed to have the right sort of eyes to make it seem like he was always on the verge of tears.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information? (1d20+7)[21]

I suppose some knowledge on local fauna and potential sentient flora is in order from me as well
    Know (Nature): (1d20+11)[21]
    And for any natural magical beasties:
    Know (Arcana): (1d20+10)[22]

Probably would have tried to disguise himself to look a little older than he is, but I forgot and didn't roll, so meh.
    Last edited by Tacitus; 2010-08-06 at 01:58 AM.
    Never can find my towel...

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    Forgot who did my avatar, sorry! >.<

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Teal

Teal stretches in the sunlight as he exits the building, then strides off through town. He observes for a bit, his keen senses easily taking in his surroundings. After a while, he decides to head over to the river and a takes a seat next to it, plotting his next move. After a few seconds, he reaches into his pocket and withdraws a Pokeball. He gives it a casual toss, releasing the four winged form of Wing, who hovers in front of him.

"Go ahead and explore for a bit, but don't scare anyone and stay within whistling distance. I know you want to stretch your wings."

With a low cry, the Arrowhawk speeds away into the air. Teal leans back.

It would probably make the most sense to head straight there. On the other hand, it might be dangerous going alone. Hm...
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Will:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know from past experience that it's generally quite hardy animal types that live in those kind of hills; nothing too exotic but definitely tough.

The guard corroborates your musings, generally packs of animals that tend to gather around a Dire varient as a leader. However he has heard a rumour from the Collectors (people who go out to gather test subjects for their Pokeball research; very well paid given the danger involved) of a colony of more unusual creatures that have resisted them through sheer force of numbers.

He thanks you for the coin and goes back to his duty.

Flynn:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know from past experience that it's generally quite hardy animal types that live in those kind of hills; nothing too exotic but definitely tough.

You come across a man who gladly corroborates your musings, generally packs of animals that tend to gather around a Dire varient as a leader. However he has heard a rumour from the Collectors (people who go out to gather test subjects for their Pokeball research; very well paid given the danger involved) of a colony of more unusual creatures that have resisted them through sheer force of numbers.

Teal's Arrowhawk causes those nearby to do a double take, some instinctively reaching for a pokeball or a weapon of some kind. However once they see it obey the command this quickly passes, though he does get some disapproving tuts from an elderly pair who mutter something to the effect of "idiot boy showing off" as they continue on.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Mr. Flynn

They fear the creatures of beyond, Lonovan Flynn. What would they say if you released your companion Steele into the middle of their streets? Would they run in fear of a simple creature of the sea twisted so far beyond its limits that it can only be called a monster?

The sailor grunts to himself as he addresses the slice of incomprehensible alien intelligence grafted to his soul, Focalor the Prince of Tears, I would request with all due respect that you keep the majority of your comments to yourself whilst I am in town. It takes far too much concentration to internalize my half of our dialog. Simply, I look like a damned loon.

The voice echoed through his thoughts, I have not yet seen the inside of an insane asylum, Lonovan Flynn. Perhaps the next time you do not appease me during your little ritual I will make it a point of finding out exactly how fun one might be. However, the deal you have crafted for me at this time is sufficient and I will abide by your wishes, Lonovan Flynn.

Even before the Prince of Tears has finished Flynn is moving, a single hand wiping away a tear that had forced itself to the surface during their dialog. He flicks it off to one side and raises his hand to catch the attention of the arrowhawk's trainer, "Quite an interesting friend you've got there. Put people on edge, it did. Where'd you come across it?" Oh sure, he really didn't need to ask, but then what would he use to break the ice? Some form of hammer?

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Thank you sir. Would you happen to know where I could find the Collectors?
    Will waits for any directions, thanks the guard, then heads back into town

Hmm... I should see if Teal and Mr. F. wanna go out hunting today.

(There we go. That should get everyone in a bundle)
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

The Collectors are a division of emplyees at the lab, they'll either be there (and I don't care how good a bluffer you are, there's no way you're getting in there) or out on the hunt. They're well paid employees, not some kind of secret cult...

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Flynn

They fear the creatures of beyond, Lonovan Flynn. What would they say if you released your companion Steele into the middle of their streets? Would they run in fear of a simple creature of the sea twisted so far beyond its limits that it can only be called a monster?

The sailor grunts to himself as he addresses the slice of incomprehensible alien intelligence grafted to his soul, Focalor the Prince of Tears, I would request with all due respect that you keep the majority of your comments to yourself whilst I am in town. It takes far too much concentration to internalize my half of our dialog. Simply, I look like a damned loon.

The voice echoed through his thoughts, I have not yet seen the inside of an insane asylum, Lonovan Flynn. Perhaps the next time you do not appease me during your little ritual I will make it a point of finding out exactly how fun one might be. However, the deal you have crafted for me at this time is sufficient and I will abide by your wishes, Lonovan Flynn.

Even before the Prince of Tears has finished Flynn is moving, a single hand wiping away a tear that had forced itself to the surface during their dialog. He flicks it off to one side and raises his hand to catch the attention of the arrowhawk's trainer, "Quite an interesting friend you've got there. Put people on edge, it did. Where'd you come across it?" Oh sure, he really didn't need to ask, but then what would he use to break the ice? Some form of hammer?
    Teal is still deep in thought when Flynn finds him, as he is still trying to determine his next step. Many different factors feature into his calculations, and he has thus far been unable to determine an effective way of reliably reaching the next town by himself. Because of his deep focus, he doesn't notice the looks he is getting from some of the townspeople, and it takes a directly addressed statement to break through his thoughts. Even with that, Flynn has to wait several seconds before Teal responds to his presence. Teal looks slowly up at Flynn.

"My dad gave her to me when I was old enough to become a Pokemon Trainer. He caught her in the Levego Hegyi mountains. Are you a trainer?"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Flynn

Lonovan Flynn, how long do you think this child has been away from his parents? He must be lonel-

Flynn jerked his head to one side and a quiet but firm command escaped his lips, "Stop It." He quickly glanced back to Teal and nodded with a nervous chuckle, "Yes, actually. Uh, rascally little thing is being a bit of a nuisance at the moment, unfortunately. Fyre?" He slipped his hand inside his coat and made it seem as though he were digging around. Instead, he fumbled for the pokeball containing Fyre and attempted to call forth the soulspark without arousing any further suspicion. He'd then produce the little quivering orb of half-flesh and energy, decked out with wispy tentacles and a warm soft glow.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you just roll with it you can ignore the rolls, but I'm putting them up for completeness's sake.

Bluff: (1d20+13)[24]
    Sleight of Hand: (1d20+6)[21] (+2 baggy clothing?)

Kobold Bard:
    Do pokeballs count as "Extraordinarily Small" (+4 Sleight of Hand) at any given time? I'd assume soulspark would be about the same size as a normal sized pokeball, not accounting for a shift in the fantasy setting. Not so much a rules question for the moment, but if I want to do something similar in the future it might be relevant.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

((Pokeballs don't count as small enough for the bonus. They are a bit smaller than a clenched fist and don't shrink down like in the cartoon. The top half is also transparent with the bottom half taking on the usual colouring like in the comics, so you can see what's in them.))

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Will walks up to the chatting duo.

Oh hey guys. I didn't know you knew each other. Either way, I got a lead on some work, and was just coming to see if you'd like to get in on it. The Collectors are having some trouble with a few critters that live in colonies or some such. I'm sure they'd be grateful if we caught one. And while we're out we can see if we can get some more pets.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Flynn

As he hears Will's voice he turns to see, just as the soulspark rolls its way up out of his coat to rest on the top of his head by passing over his face. He shakes his head slightly and runs his hands over his face, wiping away a tear or two, and then smiles. He jerks his thumb at Teal, "You know this guy? Eh I'd say we don't really know each other, at least not quite yet. Just met, really." He glances back to Teal, "Want to walk and talk? Seems like Will's onto something if even the Collectors can't get their hands on it."

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

14. - Top - End - #14

Teal

Teal nods.

"Alright, let's see what's up."

He gives a loud whistle, which brings Wing soaring back to him. When she is right next to him, he returns her to her Pokeball.

"Let's go."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

The guard checks the flag, seeing everything is ok he lets you pass with a nod. Outside is a hilly, grassy landscape. Boulders and sparce trees dot your vision, you are at basically the lowest point, most of the hills go up for a bit at least.

----------------
    Spot checks if you please.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

(1D20+1)[2]

(Short message is too short no longer!)
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

((Congrats, apparently the Arrowhawk decided to crap in your eyes before it went back in it's Pokeball ))

18. - Top - End - #18

Teal smiles at how easily the small group makes it through the gate. Once they are outside, he scans the area around them for any signs of life. Unlikely, but worth a shot.

(1d20+8)[11]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

((Teal also see nothing of interest; unless you consider rocks and grass interesting.))

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Flynn Spot: (1d20+2)[9]

And if the Soulspark can make one: (1d20+6)[24]

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

((You see bugger all, but the Soulspark notices a group of larger than
    average wolves walking over a hill 10 minutes away. They pretty beaten up, most limping and scarred.))

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flynn

Though the soulspark cannot speak and Flynn cannot yet perfectly understand all of the nuances of Fyre's luminosity and color patterns the little blob makes it clear that it wants his attention. It flickers and whirls around and even lashes out with a blast of soul energy in the direction of the hill it spotted. Flynn stares intently in the direction the soulspark indicated as he speaks, "Seems my little friend has spotted something off in the distance, over yonder, I believe."

Spoiler
    Show
    For reference, a soulspark can understand Common ("and perhaps even other languages") but cannot speak. They use their luminosity and coloration for empathic communication and can work out signals for yes and no. The soul blast bit was an impromptu point in the right direction, but it could also just dart in that direction and circle back I guess. *shrug*

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

23. - Top - End - #23

Teal

Teal watches the exchange between Flynn and his Soulspark with great interest, taking note of their ways of trying to communicate with each other. After Flynn speaks to the rest of the group, Teal nods in agreement.

"Then let's go investigate."

He turns towards the direction that the Soulspark pointed.

"Wing! Go!"

Calling forth the Arrowhawk from its Pokeball, Teal directs it to shadow the group from the air.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    ((Congrats, apparently the Arrowhawk decided to crap in your eyes before it went back in it's Pokeball ))
    ((Oooh! Free Spell Components! mine, MINE! Adding to inventory))
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Flynn

He gestures onwards, "Lead on, little one." The soulspark heads off in the direction of the hill, moving only fast enough so that the land bound trainers can keep up.

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

You walk for maybe half an hour before you see what the soulspark was telling you about; a pack of 9 wolves along with a much larger Dire are gathered. They are wounded and there are a few dead on the floor.

They don't seem to have noticed you and their blood trails (as well as another fallen wolf) lead eastward. Wolves in this area are known for their ruthlessness in the hunt, whatever did this is clearly dangerous.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-08-14 at 03:22 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Will whispers the the group "Do you think we should take them, or save our energies for whatever did this to them?"

((Any thought to my OOC question? ))
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-08-14 at 08:25 PM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Flynn

The half elf studies the wolves for a moment as he does his best to keep out of sight. He knows that if the wolves catch their scent they could have their minds made up for them. He glances at the other two and returns Fyre to its pokeball with a nod as he whispers to Will and Teal, "If we do, we'll need surprise. I've only got a handful of pokeballs, so we will no doubt have to kill several of them if that is our intent. We may just want to see if we can't tend to their wounds and perhaps befriend them. If nothing else we could direct them back against whatever this threat is." He takes a moment to check the wind and if they are upwind of them he'll suggest a different location from which to watch them and potentially attack.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you need a roll for checking the wind, I dunno, survival? It seems simple enough (lick finger, stick it up? XD), but I'll roll just in case. *shrug*
    (1d20+6)[13] (If Know:Nature fits better it would be another +5)

So it goes.

GNU Terry Pratchett

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

You are up wind just about, but you won't stay hidden forever as the wind shifts around.

30. - Top - End - #30

Teal

Teal sharply observes the wolves for several seconds, analyzing them, their condition, and possible advantages and disadvantages of various approaches to the situation. At last, he turns to Flynn and shakes his head firmly.

"These beasts aren't very strong, but whatever beat them this badly is. I say we don't waste our time on the wolves, and go straight after whatever attacked them. I can track them back to the sight of the attack, and from there I can find whatever did this."