Thread: Escape! (IC)

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Escape! (IC)

The IC thread for Escape!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Escape! (IC)

It was a normal day but suddenly you are arrested and thrown in jail. All hope seems lost but just as the prison bars close there’s a blinding flash. When you regain your vision, you find the bars open, yourself fully equipped, and bewildered guards standing in front of you.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Roll initiative.
    Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-08 at 11:17 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

As Lorwen gains conscious he continues what is on his mind ".. i swear. I did not mean to .. ".

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative:
    (1d20+1)[15]
    - - -
    There is always tendency towards chaos.

The Plight of Harlington - IC thread - OOC thread -
    Latest map
    Battle map

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, injustice isn't exactly uncommon in the world. Mika has been sitting quietly, motionlessly in her cell, meditating but closely observing the guards and her cellmate. There would be a moment when the chance to escape will come, so that she can continue her journey. When the chance presents itself, albeit in a rather unusual fashion, the tall, muscular woman is suddenly on her feet and in the guards' faces, pummeling them with unusually strong punches and kicks. Better to take the chance and get out (preferably also helping the woman she was arrested with to escape too), than to rot in this cell.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[10]

Mika uses Five Storms to shift a square to 2 horizontal/4 vertical and attack both guards. Flurry of Blows against the guard on the right (+6 damage).
    Attack vs. Reflex (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage rolls (1d8+6)[12] (1d8+6)[7]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As the Shaiith was thrown in jail she noticed her jailmate. A Gnome? Ofcourse, she thought, you can't judge a tome by it's cover but still. How can anyone be afraid of something that's 3 feet tall? I mean.. Suddenly, a blinding flash appeared! As the flash knocked the warlock on her knees, she straightened herself. As she stood up again, she noticed that the bars were opened and she had her belongings with her once more! Hmm, Lolth is in my favor today, giving me the means to escape! Now to think of something to get away from this place...

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: 1D20+2 = 3 - Hah! Critical Failure on my first roll! :p

She likes to talk in Magenta and she thinks in italics

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I forgot:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready!

7. - Top - End - #7

Why are the guards so wild? Did i sing another song? Nah.. i hope not. With a glance towards the cell-mate, he makes the best not to show concerns. Drow.. now this should be interesting..

Spoiler
    Show

Lorwen tries to understand what is happening in the jail, if there is any sounds of fighting to be heard, what do the guards look like (body-build, equipment).
    Perception:
    (1d20+6)[20]
    Insight to understand if the guards seem hostile or are there to set us free:
    (1d20+2)[13]

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready!
    - - -

Latest map
    Battle map

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

As she saw and heard that others were trying to escape, the Shaiith prepared herself for combat and targeted the guards. The Shaiith muttered something under her breath right before she raised her hand and fires a crackling dark bolt of energy at the nearest guard.

Spoiler
    Show

Free action: Pull up her hood.

Minor action: Warlock's Curse (+1D6 to damage roll) - Target: Guard Type A on (6,5)

Standard action: Eldritch Blast (Charisma vs Reflex) - Target: Guard Type A on (6,5)

Attack Roll: 1d20+6 = 19 HIT!

Damage Roll: 1d10+6 + 1d6 +1 (Prime Shot) = 12 damage!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by docHigh View Post
    Why are the guards so wild? Did i sing another song? Nah.. i hope not. With a glance towards the cell-mate, he makes the best not to show concerns. Drow.. now this should be interesting..

Spoiler
    Show

Lorwen tries to understand what is happening in the jail, if there is any sounds of fighting to be heard, what do the guards look like (body-build, equipment).
    Perception:
    [roll0]
    Insight to understand if the guards seem hostile or are there to set us free:
    [roll1]

Spoiler
    Show
    Ready!
    Perception: Lorwen hears the sounds of fighting. He sees that the guards before him are wearing light armor and wielding longswords. But as he was being taken to his cell he did notice 2 guards in chainmail and one that looked like a mage.

Insight:Seeing as the guards have drawn their weapons and are moving towards him, Lorwen understands that they are extremely hostile

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Looking up quickly at the flash of light, and suddenly feeling the familiar weight of his gear, Terios stands up to his full height and, drawing his falchion, steps forward and cuts at the guard, yelling You would lay your hands on ME!!!

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: [roll]1d20+2[/roll]
    Shift diagonal right-down.
    Melee Basic: (1d20+10)[11] vs AC
    Damage: (2d4+5)[10]
    Last edited by chaoswizard259; 2010-06-09 at 07:01 PM.
    Everyone is someone else's idiot.-Anon.

Life isnt perfect. Get over yourself.-Me.

It is shown that when the DM is smiling there are two possible conclusions. One: there is about to be a near Party wipe; or Two: He's enjoying watching you squirm thinking its number one...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

chaoswizard259, please fix your initiative roll. Also you have to move to a valid square to attack the Guard at (10,5).
    Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-09 at 10:52 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Noticing the drawn longswords Lorwen raises his shield a little higher, waves the wand towards one of the guards and taunts him. Are you trying to compensate something with that LONG sword?!
    Spoiler
    Show

Standard: Vicious Mockery against guard 5,5.
    Attack: (1d20+7)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[11]
    On hit: target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn.
    Move: move to 6,4.

Hey lady, try not to stab me and lets get out of here.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ready!
    - - -

Latest map
    Battle map

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jair
    Almost as startled as the guards Jair, a tall handsome Deva in a long cloak over leather armor, looks on in amazement as the martial artist next to him launches herself on the hapless guards.
    Not normally so direct, but I suppose this is a good opportunity.
    He focuses his will through his recently materialized orb, projecting his words and emotions into the minds of the guards before him.
    Why fight? This can only end in pain - pain and death. Do not struggle. Do not fight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative - (1d20+2)[14]
    Standard: Dishearten Augment 1 attacks go left to right
    Attack 1 - (1d20+7)[16] vs. Will
    Attack 2 - (1d20+7)[19] vs. Will
    Damage - (1d6+5)[7] psychic damage
    If hit the guards take a -2 penalty to attack rolls and cannot make opportunity attacks until the end of my next turn.
    Last edited by terrag25; 2010-06-09 at 01:56 PM. Reason: changing IC color

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

INitiative: (1d20+2)[11]

It is shown that when the DM is smiling there are two possible conclusions. One: there is about to be a near Party wipe; or Two: He's enjoying watching you squirm thinking its number one...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Initiative

Guard Type A: (1d20+1)[14]

Guard Type B: (1d20+5)[14]

Guard Type C: (1d20+4)[23]
    Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-09 at 07:54 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

"The prisoners have their weapons and are trying to escape," someone shouted.

Immediately Guard Type C snaps to attention. {He moves to (15,5) and waits.}

Lorwen implies something untoward about Guard Type A, but his insult finds no purchase. {A 9 doesn't hit. Lorwen misses and moves to (6,4).}

"No prisoner has every escaped this prison. You won't be the exception," a Guard Type B says. He moves and attacks Terios with his halberd. {He moves to (9,5). Rolls a 29. Hits. Terios takes 13 damage, and he is marked until the end of the guard's next turn.}

The other Guard Type B readies himself. {He moves to (16,4).}

Meanwhile Jair's telepathic manipulation is successful and the guards drop and begin to contemplate the meaning of lift . {A 16 & a 19 hit. The guards take 7 psychic damage and fall.}

Not appreciating Lorwen's quip, the Guard Type A and his buddy attacks him. {Guard Type A moves to (5,4) and attacks Lorwen. Rolls a 14. Misses.}
    {Guard Type A attacks Lorwen. Rolls a 9. Misses.}

The last Guard Type A readies himself. {He moves to (10,5)}

Adjusting Action: {Terios shifts to (9,4). He attacks but a 11 misses.}

Adjusting Action: {Mika moves to (5,5). She uses 5 Storms but misses both guards.}

Shaiith's dark power curses Guard Type A. She then fires off a blast of eldritch energy which destroys him. {A 19 hits. Guard Type A takes 11 damage and dies} I'm ignoring the OA that the other Guard Type A would get.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Guard Type C
    Lorwen
    Guard Type B
    Jair
    Guard Type A
    Terios
    Mika
    Shaiith
    Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-10 at 07:45 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

"If you do want to get out of here," she said right before she went up into thin air leaving nothing behind but a few slivers of silvery smoke, "you will need to do something better than tell old jokes." Suddenly she stood outside the jail as she muttered something again. She let go of another bolt aimed at the nearest guard as she walked back down the corridor past the range of the other guards. She was surpassed by another prisoner, heading right at them. "Hmm, not your average crowd for this town. This could be fun!"

Spoiler
    Show

Free Action: Imp. Misty Step: Teleport 5 squares when Curse target dies. -> Teleport to (6,5)

Minor Action: Warlock's Curse (+1d6 dmg) -> Guard Type A (5,4) (If Lorwen kills him: Target G-B (9,5)

Standard Action: Eldritch Blast -> Guard Type A (5,4) (If Lorwen kills him: Target G-B (9,5)

Attack: 1d20+6 vs Reflex: 22! HIT!

Dmg: 1d10+6+1d6+1: 21! Sorry, that's with Prime Shot, so it should be 20. Still good enough though :p

Move Action: Move to (4,6)
    Last edited by AbsentiaMentis; 2010-06-10 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Prime Shot & Grammar

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Flinching from the powerful blow from the guard, He quickly recovered and set his sword sweeping across both of his closest targets. "Let me show you a REAL strike!!!"

Spoiler
    Show

Sweeping Blow Close Burst 1
    (1d20+7)[12]
    damage: (2d4+5)[12]

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[20]
    Going left to right

20. - Top - End - #20

Lorwen
    Fainting a suprise the small gnome shouts to the guard Look out, behind you!

Spoiler
    Show

Attack will prove AO.
    Standard: Misdirected Mark
    Attack: (1d20+7)[8]
    Damage: (1d8+5)[11]
    On hit the target is marked by an ally (Mika) within 5 squares of you until the end of your next turn.
    Move: Move to 4,5.
    Ready!
    - - -

Latest map
    Battle map

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Recognizing the guard in front of her as just a small fly, Mika suddenly and swiftly moves over to the guard that taunted the minotaur so that she is opposite to the powerful being. "Let me assist," he can hear the muscular woman say in a strong, deep voice as she becomes a blur of motion for a moment, placing a surgical, crushing strike right into the guard's small of the back.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mika uses the Movement Technique of Open the Gates of Battle to move to 9/6 to flank the guard, ignoring the first OA she would cause due to her movement. After that, she uses the Attack Technique of Open the Gates of Battle against Guard Type B.

Attack vs. Reflex (1d20+9)[22] (includes CA bonus from flanking the enemy)
    Damage (2d10+6)[19] damage + (1d10)[3] if enemy is at full HP when Mika hits + 6 from Flurry of Blows.
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-06-10 at 09:26 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jair
    A fleeting smirk of triumph passes over Jair's face as the rubes before him collapse, but, still hearing the sounds of battle he takes a peak around the corner.
    Oh hells, they have a mage.
    Well, nothing for it.

The Deva imperiously strides from his cell, orb flaring with psionic might.
    You seek to imprison ME? Paltry mortal fools, do you not realize that by hindering me you hinder the gods themselves?
    With that he beckons, and a great telekinetic mass smashes down on the mage and his bodyguard.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move to 6,6
    Standard to Force Hammer Type C and Type B down the hall w/ 15,4 as the origin square
    Attack C - (d20+7)[13] vs. Fort.
    Attack B - (d20+7)[15] vs. Fort.
    Damage - (d6+5)[9] Force Damage. Those hit are slowed through my next turn.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Furious over the situation, the guard mage gathers his power and directs it at Mika.

{Guard Type C casts Magic Missile. Target Mika. Rolls a 19 vs Reflex. The Magic Missile hits. Mika takes 11 Force Damage.)

Just before Lorwen can lift his wand, the guard next to him slashes at him.

{Guard Type A opportunistically attacks Lorwen. Rolls a 25 vs AC. The attacks hits. Lorwen takes 6 damage and turns invisible.}

In response Lorwen turns invisible and tries to trick the guard but fails. He then moves.

{Lorwen's invisiblity ends. Lorwen's misdirection misses, and he moves to (4,5)}

The first Guard Type B continues his assault on Terios while the other gets into position.

{Guard Type B attacks Terios. Rolls a 10 vs AC. Misses.}

{The second Guard Type B moves to (11,6)}

Jair moves and the brings his psychic might down on the mage.

{Jair moves to (6,6). He attacks Guard Type C with force hammer. Hits. The guard mage takes 9 Force Damage and is slowed until the end of Jair's next turn}

Seeing her destroy his buddy, Guard Type A moves and tries to kill Shaiith.

{Guard Type A shifts to (5,3) and attacks Shaiith. Rolls a 14 vs AC. Misses.}

The other Guard Type A teams with his boss and tries to chop up Terios.

{Guard Type A moves to (10,4) and attacks Terios. Rolls a 19 vs AC. Hits. Terios takes 6 damage.}

In an attempt to hit both his assailants, Terios puts all his might into a swing.

{Terios attacks Guard Type B and Guard Type A. He misses Guard Type B but hits Guard Type A. Guard Type A falls.}

Mika flips and dashes until she right behind Guard Type B. She pounces on him.

{Mika moves to (9,4). She uses pen the Gates of Battle against Guard Type B. Hits. Guard Type B takes 28 damage. He's bloodied.}

Shaiith vanishes then reappears further away. She whispers and crackling, dark bolts stream from her hand towards the last Guard Type A.

{Shaiith teleports to (6,5). She curses Guard Type A. Then she attacks him with Eldritch Blast. Hit. The last Guard Type A falls.}

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Guard Type C
    Lorwen
    Guard Type B (x2)
    Jair
    Terios
    Mika
    Shaiith

Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-10 at 01:50 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Lorwen
    Round3.

Despite the tricks and taunts he still hasn't managed to find a safe route out of the jail. Feeling the pain of the sword-cut Lorwen takes cover behind one corner. Seeing another guard being dropped and bolts whistling through the air Lorwen makes a few steps closer to the exit.
    Turning to Terios he encourages: "Rise up! Rise up against the oppression and cut your way free!"

.. and then turns towards the mage: "You seem like a reasonable fellow. Would you care to discuss your terms of surrender?" and points his wand towards him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move: move to 7,6
    Minor: Majestic Word to Terios
    The target can spend a healing surge and regain additional hit points equal to your Charisma modifier (+5).
    You also slide the target 1 square (Terios to 10,4).
    Standard: Impelling Force (Cha vs Fort) against mage-Guard C
    Attack: (1d20+7)[11]
    Damage: (1d10+5)[9] slide the target 5 squares to a space adjacent to one of your allies (10,5).

If standard hits
    Action point:
    Blunder (Cha vs Will) against mage-Guard C
    Attack: (1d20+7)[16]
    Damage: (1d6+5)[9], and you slide the target 2 squares (to 9,3).
    During the slide, Terios can make a melee basic attack against the target as a free action, with a +4 power bonus to the attack roll (due to Virtue of cunning 1+INT).
    - - -

Latest map
    Battle map

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

HP 23/34, Healing Surges 8/8 (8 HP), Action Points 1
    AC 19, Fort 16, Ref 17, Will 15
    Conditions -

Mika clenches her teeth as she feels the destructive magic hit, but the fact that it barely causes any reaction speaks volumes of her discipline and tenacity.

If there are two enemies near Mika she can both reach with 2 squares of movement and attack at once with a close burst 1:

Seeing the opportunity, Mika assumes a stable stance with a resounding stomp, striking both her adversaries at the same time with enough force to knock even the strongest men of their feet. Immediately following the manenuver is a barrage of strikes and kicks, aiming to finish the battle sooner rather than later and her motions being so quick and numerous that those of her newfound allies that are nearby can feel the winds caused by them.

If there is only one enemy near her:

As most of their enemies are already defeated, the mage is actually the most dangerous target in the battle. Moving past what is left of the regular guards, Mika goes straight for the spellweaver, suddenly being very close to him and immediately attacking him with a brutal punch to simply smash him to the ground. Unwilling to allow the mage to counterattack, she raises a leg so it is almost parallel to her upper body and sends it crashing down onto her adversary to knock the wind out of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    If the first case is true at the start of Mika's turn, Mika uses the Movement Technique of Eternal Mountain to position herself (shift 2 squares) so that both enemies are within range and to gain resist (all) 3 until the end of her next turn. After that she uses the Attack Technique of Eternal Mountain:
    Attacks vs. Fortitude (1d20+7)[10], (1d20+7)[17]
    (2d8+6)[21] damage and knock prone

Followed by the use of an action point to use Five Storms:
    Attacks vs. Reflex (1d20+7)[8], (1d20+7)[13] (+2 if targets are prone)
    Damage (1d8+6)[12] (+6 damage from Flurry of Blows against the most wounded looking enemy)

If the second case is true at the start of Mika's turn, Mika moves next to the mage and uses the Attack Technique of Eternal Mountain:
    Attack vs. Fortitude (1d20+7)[13], (2d8+6)[18] damage and knock prone.

Followed by the use of an action point to use Crane's Wings (choosing not to push the mage):
    Attack vs. Fortitude (1d20+7)[15] (+2 is mage is prone), Damage (1d10+6)[9]

(+6 damage from Flurry of Blows as soon as it can be applied after either attack)
    Last edited by Ridai; 2010-06-11 at 12:33 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The Shaiith walked up the corridor as she started to dissappear. She passed the guards and suddenly evaporated again. They saw a flash of her in the middle of the room right before it all turned darker than the night.

"The Gnome is right," she said as the darkness surrounded them, "you can save your life if you talk. But I'd rather you didn't, because then I get to pluck it out myself..."

Spoiler
    Show

Move Action: Move to (10,6) -> Shadow walk - When move +3 you gain concealment.

Free Action: Imp. Misty Step -> Teleport to (14,5)

Minor Action: Cloud of Darkness -> Close burst 1 shroud.

SkillCheck : Intimidate (+13) -> 1d20+13 = 14 vs Will (O.M.G. A natural 1.)

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Jair
    Crying I've a feeling a bolt of force is the least of his tricks. Bring down that mage! Jair puts actions to words and focuses much of his remaining power into a series of psionic thrusts before ducking out of danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    Standard to Mind Thrust Augment 2 at the mage
    Attack - (d20+5)[16] vs. Will (only +5 due to cover provided by the other guards)
    Damage - (2d10+5)[15] Psychic damage. On a hit the mage takes a -3 penalty to all defenses through my next turn.
    Followed by an action point to hit the mage with a second mind thrust if he's still standing
    attack - (d20+5)[15] vs. Will
    damage - (d10+5)[15] psychic damage.
    Then if the mage is alive I'll move to 6,3, if dead I'll move to 2,5
    NB if adjacent to a guard at the start of my turn, I'll just shift back 1 and still go for this

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Feeling inspired by the little man's words, Terios quickly strikes at the offending guard.

If the guard is not dead.

Seeing the guard tenaciously stay up, he sends his sword back the other direction, a powerful backhanded blow.

Spoiler
    Show

move or shift as necessary for strike
    Standard:Sure Strike(Str vs AC) against closest guard
    Attack: [roll0]
    Damage: [roll1]

If still alive.
    Action Point:Reaping Strike(Str vs AC) same target
    Attack: [roll2]
    Damage: [roll3] on miss inflict STR dam:5

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+14)[16]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[7]

Attack: (1d20+12)[21]
    Damage: (2d4+5)[11]

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lorwen

The mage guard raises his hand. A shield appears before him, blocking the force bolt.

{Lorwen moves to (7,6). He uses Majestic Word on Terios. Terios regains 15 HP and is slid to (10,4). Lorwen uses Impelling Force on Guard Type C. Misses.}

Mika

Mika's assault blows one of the guards off his feet permanently, but the other evades.

{Mika uses Eternal Mountain to move to (10,6) and attacks both Guard Type Bs. She misses the one at (11,6) but hits the one at (9,5). He takes 21 damage, is knocked prone, and falls unconscious)

Slippery as oil, the remaining guard dodges all but one of Mika's strikes.

{Mika uses an Action Point to preform Five Storms on the last Guard Type B. She misses. She then uses flurry of blows. The guard takes 6 damage.}

Shaiith

The mage guard tell himself that it's going to be alright and waves off Shaiith's words.

{Shaiith moves to (10,6) and then teleports to (14,5). She uses cloud of darkness and tires to intimidate Guard Type C but fails.}

Jair

With a cloud of darkness covering the mage guard, Jair holds his attack.

With the new combat rules, your attacks miss. That's not really fair so next time you can take your turn take two turns.

Terios

The guard parries Terios' backhanded blow but gets hit by the follow up.

{Terios moves to (12,6). He uses sure strike on Guard Type C. Misses. Terios uses an Action Point. He attacks the guard with reaping strike. Hits. The guard takes 12 damage.}

Guard Type C

Seeing that he's vastly out numbered, the mage guard runs out the door.

{Guard Type C shifts to (15,6) and then moves to (15,8) and exits the encounter}

Guard Type B

Alone and scared, the last guard tries to run out the door.

{Guard Type B shifts to (12,5) and then moves to (14,8). Along the way he provokes an OA from Shaiith. She hits him for 4 damage, but he keeps on going and exits the encounter.}

The encounter is over! You gain 665 XP.

Status

Terios: 39/43 HP 12/13 Healing Surges

Jair: The next time he takes a turn he take two turns

Mika: 23/34 HP

Lorwen: 26/32 HP
    Last edited by Ether; 2010-06-12 at 09:31 AM.