New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Horatio@Bridge Presents: Lost in the Realm of Brass and Shadows

--Ongvove--

The travelers stop, surprised to see you approach. The lead two travelers look at each other quizzically as you speak, then one gets a bright look. He holds up one finger, then removes his pack and begins to dig around in it. After a few minutes he pulls out a tablet, a screen of crystal surrounded by metal. He pulls out a stylus from the side of the tablet and scrawls something that looks vaguely like the Old Realm you've seen in sorcerous writings. He hands it over to you, gesturing for you to take it.
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

2. - Top - End - #32

BardGuy

--Ehren--

Corban shifts slightly, pulling his blanket back over his left arm.

"Out? Of the dormitories, or the city? Or are you trying to get back to the sky lands? If it's the latter, I'll wish you luck on it. The only way out is through the Seal, and that's controlled by the Tripartate Assembly. They've got a full squad of Champions supported by dozens of gunzosha troops guarding that."
    Developer for the Sengai Jidai role-playing game, powered by FATE. Check out the latest progress at the development blog.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"I suppose I have no choice but to surrender. But I have not forgotten how you have just stood by while these people have attacked me. They tried to pen a tyrant lizard, which is nigh unforgivable in my book."
    I casually pick up the tattered cloak of one of the dying soldiers and use it to dab daintily at my blood-spattered lips.

4. - Top - End - #34

BardGuy

--Zilla--

"Please forgive me. It's only that I was shocked by your presence and sudden attack. The Autochthonians only reacted as they are trained to do. They must act swiftly and decisively here, you see, as death is also swift in this place."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--Ongvove--

Annoyed but resigned, he looks at the stylus, he begins his attempt at pictionary. He writes the term he knows refers to the Old Realm language in Old Realm, with an X over it. He then hands it back.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"What will you do with Laelia, then? And me? Why are we here?" I carefully note the positions of the exalts around me and the height of the walls they are producing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    4 successes on perception plus awareness

7. - Top - End - #37

BardGuy

--Ongvuve--

When you take the tablet, the words in Old Realm shift and reformat themselves, forming perfectly legible Forestspeak.

"Greetings, traveler. Do you need help?"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming I eventually wander into where the conversation is going.

The large man walks steadily around the corner to meet Ongvove.

Any progress?
    My dad always said, "Son, nobody ever won anything by getting even. You have to get ahead."

9. - Top - End - #39

BardGuy

--Zilla and Peleps--

"We are all honored guests of the Tripartate Assembly, as you are both part of my diplomatic entourage. I have already been given assurances of our safe passage and return to Creation when we wish it. If you will swear to do no harm to the Assembly and their city, and to abide by the rules of diplomatic conduct, then you may be included in the oaths of protection."

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--Ongvove--

Flooded with relief, he writes, "First, do you have a spare of one of these styluses? Second, Hello, I am a traveler who has lost his way, along with my companion who waited so as to avoid... ah, here he is. As you can see, he is a scary man, who could probably strangle me with his ankle. I was wondering if you could direct me towards the way out of this place?"
    Last edited by chailem; 2010-08-10 at 10:27 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

BardGuy

--Ongvove and The Man With No Name--

The travelers chatter among themselves when the large Exalt enters the corridor, but seem fairly relaxed at his sudden appearance. They seem to accept that he and Ongvove are fellow travelers with no ill intent.

The lead traveler takes the tablet, the words in Forestspeak turning into Old Realm as it changes hands. He reads the message, then writes.

"Sadly, this is the only translation artifact we have at the moment. Still, you are welcome to use it as long as you travel with us. We are nomads, and we have seen many places. Where are you trying to reach? Perhaps we have been there."
    Last edited by Horatio@Bridge; 2010-08-10 at 09:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"Promise not to harm them? This doesn't make sense to me. If they attack me or try to steal my prey or impede my path, of course I must harm them. If they don't, then why would I bother them? And what are these diplomatic codes? I certainly won't swear to something I don't understand. It seems pointless." I growl a little and add, "You haven't really answered my questions, anyway. I'm no diplomat. Why am I even here?"

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--Ongvove--
    Sharing the stylus with his companion, Ongvove then writes, "Originally we are from Creation, a land that we were traveling south from. While we greatly desire to return to our homeland, we were separated from our other friends, and are looking for them."

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Well, all three, as it were. I plan to find Master Gavinicus, and then exit this place. I rather enjoy trees, you know. Also, I suspect there are others of my frame of mind located in these infernal tunnels. The lot of us should be capable of slipping the shackles. Gather these people, guide them, urge them to fight for their freedom."
    Ehren stashes the rest of the fish, stands, and stretches to limber up his limbs. He pulls his hook swords form the scabbards and gives a show of inspecting the obviously flawlwss moonsilver blades.

"I don't trust luck, Corban. It tends to leave you in dark and forboding holes."

15. - Top - End - #45

BardGuy

--Zilla and Peleps--

Peleps's mother chews her lip.

"That's a good question. If you were on the path when the Seal was breached, you should have been cast far from this place. The odds of you appearing just here, so close to the terminal point of the gate, are astronomical to say the least. Nevertheless, you are here. If we are to survive and prosper in the light of that incontrovertible fact, we must all adapt to it. If we cannot change the environment, we must learn to live within it, is it not so?"

16. - Top - End - #46
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking the stylus.

Yes, a large lizard, a pompous brat, a guy with a long coat and a really cool sword, and some sort of owlman.
    My dad always said, "Son, nobody ever won anything by getting even. You have to get ahead."

17. - Top - End - #47

BardGuy

The lead traveler frowns.

"Creation? I haven't heard of this place, and I have traveled far and wide through the Reaches. Is it a new city? And sadly, I haven't come across anyone like you've described. What is an owl?"

--Ehren--

"An uprising?" he chuckles. "This lot? You have a much greater faith in mankind than I do, my friend. The Champions would tear us apart in moments. They've done it before at the behest of the Assembly, they'll do it again. No room for dissension in Autochthonia, there's not the resources for it. Course, if they knew what we'd seen, out beyond the Seal...well, then they'd have something to fight for, a place to get beyond the reach of the Champions. If you can get us there, pfeh" he spits. "The Assembly can have this place!"
    Last edited by Horatio@Bridge; 2010-08-10 at 09:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

"I guess what you're saying is, 'If all you can catch is a stinky horse, you have to eat it.' I have lived this lesson. I understand it. I will accompany you, but I won't swear anything," I reply.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think we're a long way from the south. Do they have owls in the East? Is there another word for Creation?

20. - Top - End - #50
    Pixie in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

--Ongvove--
    Snatching the stylus, he says, "The nearest city would be our best alternative. Where are we now? Is the city mostly occupied by other humans?"
    To 'Mike', "I think you'd better leave the diplomacy to me, Southerner."

21. - Top - End - #51

BardGuy

"We're close to the nation of Gulak. The holy city of Thutot is there. It has a close connection to the Great Maker, and they may have some record of this Creation place."

At the name of the Great Maker, a bell goes off in Ongvove's head. The Great Maker was another name for Autochthon, the great Primordial craftsman who had forged the Exalted shards as weapons to be used against his brethren. He had disappeared ages ago, long millennium before the Usurpation.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ehren grins, the dim light flashing in his eyes. He places the serpentine blades in the scabbards. He turns his head back to Corban, looks pointedly at the now covered metal arm.

"The Thousand Rivers will flow regardless of the fallen seed, Corban. Only the the seed itself can strive to reach the sky. I know where I will be going. It is your choice to follow."

With that Ehren strides proudly form the area in the effort to reconnect with his most recent associates.

23. - Top - End - #53

BardGuy

--Ehren--

Corban calls after Ehren as he turns to walk away.

"Hold on, friend! What did you have in mind?"

24. - Top - End - #54
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

--Ongvove--
    Speaking to his companion, "We must be where the ancient Primordial Autochthon disappeared to. I suspect he may have something to do with those metal people we saw earlier."

Turning back to the locals, "Could you take us to this city? ...or give us directions?"

25. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ancient what who? Look, I'm a simple man from a simple town. I know planting seasons and beating people. You're gonna have to slow down a little.

26. - Top - End - #56

BardGuy

Reading your missive, the lead traveler nods.

"We were planning on stopping at a city to trade supplies for the treasures we found in the reaches, such as this tablet. Thutot is as good as any and better than most. You can travel with us until you reach it."

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Taking the tablet:

I understood what that meant, and I think we could use some supplies and the opportunity at some treasure.

--on the tablet--

We would be most honored to accompany you to this city, kind sir, and though I can't speak for my friend, I would be more than happy to both assist you with my labor and help you deal with any dangers on the road.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm doing this as a social attack to improve their attitude towards us.

5 charisma, 3 presence, 3 appearance
    (8d10)[4][8][6][6][1][4][1][2](32)

28. - Top - End - #58
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ehren Slows his pace, and, glancing over his shoulder, beckons Corban to join him in the middle of the room. Once the two are stading together, a simple focus of his interior power and he begins to glow with Mother Luna's holy light. In the near absolute darkness, the soft light is blindingly obvious. Ehren raises his voice when he speaks, looking into Corbans eyes at first, expecting him to translate.

"I have in mind feeling the moonlight on my face again. I have in mind swimming in the streams under the open sky and feeling the crisp night air in my wings while hunt forest creatures. And I refuse to allow this assembly to keep me from it. I will eat their very hearts if I must. I will wear their faces as I defy their boundries. Come with me, and I will show you world without walls."
    Last edited by Ehren the Lunar; 2010-08-10 at 10:33 PM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As Ehren speaks, his anima banner begins displaying the strengths of animals in the wilds. Here a hart leaping through brush, there two rams vie for pack lead, above an eagle soars through ephemeral clouds, below a shark glides through silent depths. The menagerie of animals shapes continue to play out while he speaks. The effort of creating the specific phantom animals was slightly strenuous, so he finally wraps the parade of images up with a snake devouring a mongoose.
    Last edited by Ehren the Lunar; 2010-08-11 at 03:58 AM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    (8d10)[6][1][6][7][8][5][1][7](41)

Spoiler
    Show
    using a point of dwill power