New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Chimera

Default Adventures of the Mixed Company (4e Sandbox)

You enter a small office through a large half-orc shaped hole in the wall. Behind a desk stands a gruff man with a gray walrus mustache. He gestures to five chairs for you to sit. "Welcome to the Fannen-Dar Adventuring Guild," he says. He has a voice reminiscent of a drill seargent. "Please ignore the hole in the wall, the last bunch was...not very bright."

"My name is Earl Haggisson, but you can call me Mr. H. I'm the director of the guild and your trainer. After reviewing your resumes, I decided that the five of you would make a good fit for an adventuring team. You'll get to know each other over the course of your adventures."

"Now, you might be wondering when I'm going to tell you that kobolds are raiding the town or something like that. I'm not. You five are all level 1, the lowest of the low. The real adventures are being taken care of by more competent adventurers. The only quests you'll be able to get for now are jobs that townsfolk require some help with. If you're lucky, you might stumble across an adventure. The point is, you're not main characters, and that's important to get through your skulls. You're just lowlevels, and you have to be ready for some hard work if you want to make names for yourselves."

He sits down at his desk. "If you need any more information about this town, Fannen-Dar, feel free to ask. I'm also here for you if you need any tips on adventuring. I used to be an adventurer myself. 8th level warlord; they called me 'The Earl.'" He smirks, clearly proud of his title. "If you have no questions, than you can head downstairs to choose your first quest. Talk to Reggie, the eladrin, for information about quests and such. And, uh...good luck, I guess."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Adventures of the Mixed Company (4e Sandbox)

Nihilus responds with an amiable chuckle.

"Good fit huh? Hope you're right about that; been running solo for awhile now and can't say I didn't have good reason."

The drow shrugs, a wry smile playing across his lips.

"Still, wouldn't have applied if I didn't think I'd have a good shake. We'll see; long as these boys here help me rack in the gold and XP, things'll be peachy."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

At the mention of questions, Jarek eagerly raises his hand, but doesn't bother to wait for Mr. H to call upon him before speaking up.

"Ooh, where exactly is Fannen-Dar, and could you give me the basics on it? I've arrived here just recently, though I was headed away from somewhere, not too, so I never bothered paying attention to where I was until I got here." he says, going a little red and scratching the back of his head out of mild embarrassment.

The falcon on Jarek's shoulder looked around without much interest.
    Last edited by Drakefall; 2010-08-08 at 03:53 PM.
    If I had a +1 Pan of Frying I could totally do that!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

The young man in full armor and mask regards Nihilus, but says nothing. He takes the holy symbol hanging from his belt and looks at it, apparently praying.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

5. - Top - End - #5

Chimera

"Here, I got a tourist pamphlet for those unfamiliar with the area."

Welcome to Fannen-Dar, home of the Fannen-Dar Bazaar! Fannen-Dar is a large town situated to the east of the Arganas (pronounced AR-guh-naws) Sea and the north of the Shadehem (pronounced SHAYD-ehm) Forest. Fannen-Dar is a center of commerce, a perfect place for folks of nearby towns and cities, such as the radiant Rayshin to the north or the dwarven city of Gortul to the east, to gather to trade and barter. Thus, Fannen-Dar has many inns and taverns, also making it a perfect gathering place for adventurers! The bazaar in the town square can hold almost anything you could imagine, and more!

Anyone is welcome, too! Fannen-Dar prides itself on having a rich multicultural history, being founded by the combination of the elven settlement Fannen and the dwarven outpost Dar. Today, the opinions of the people are represented by four representatives from each of the noble houses; one elf, one dwarf, one eladrin, and one dragonborn. Members of all races can find comfort as well as a job here in Fannen-Dar!

Fannen-Dar is divided into four quadrants. The northwest quadrant is the noble district, where are fine leaders live. The northeast quadrant is the temple district, where worshippers of all non-evil gods can find welcome. The southwest quadrant is the industrial district, lined with shops, smithies, stables, and other places of work. The southeast quadrent is purely a housing district. Visitors are recommended to stay in the southwest district in one of Fannen-Dar's fine inns!

"What the pamphlet doesn't tell you," Mr. H interrupts your reading, "is that the southeast quadrant is overrun with thieves and crooks. Stay away from there. Also, I'd personally recommend giving the Dragon's Den Inn a look. It's the best in town, and always has some shady characters with rumors from beyond the town walls about goblins or kobolds or something. Good place for adventurers to get information."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

"It seems the southeast quadrant is where we should go then. I do not fear the predations of thieves and others who feel they have the right to take that which they have not made or earned. It is an affront to the Soulforger."
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

Jarek regards the masked man with a smile.

"Truly the southeast area does sound in need of aid my friend. However, we likely do not yet possess the skill and connections to make much of a difference there. Good men cannot help anyone when their heads are hanging on pikes. We should check with this Reggie Mr. H mentioned. I'm sure he'll be able to point us in the direction of someone we may help."

"Kaaaw!" Cried the falcon on Jarek's shoulder.

"Er... Mortimer says he doesn't care where we go as long as he can get outside and go hunting. Sigh... always after food aren't you? Whose'a good boy; yes, you are!" He replies to the hawk while scratching its neck.
    Last edited by Drakefall; 2010-08-09 at 07:23 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

"Hey, if there's stuff to murder and treasure to loot, I'm all for heading out to wherever it is we're going..."

A pregnant, contemplative pause interrupts the assassin's speech.

"...unless that means picking a fight we can't win of course. Not so fond of those I'm afraid."

He clarifies, shaking his head.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

"Like I said, I'm sure this Reggie fellow can provide us with a job that'll allow us to do some good and is within our capability..." Jarek begins, then catching a look at Nihilus adds:"... and I'm sure we'll get a reward too."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Masc nodded, and sighed a bit. First though, I wish to go to the temple of the Raven Queen. It has been too long since I met with a member of the church. He stroked the thin beard that lead off his chin a bit. Hmm... Perhaps the church might have some deed to be done as well. If the group does not mind of course.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

"Of course. I think I shall visit the temple of Avandra while I'm here myself. I could use some guidance from Lady Luck. "

A melancholy look passes over Jarek's face for a moment before returning to it's usual jovial expression

"Still, I really think we should check in with this Reggie fellow first. Get the lay of what quests are about and what not. It shouldn't take long considering he's right in the next room and all."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"Whatever we're gonna do, let's do it soon. Getting antsy, and standing around wondering about it isn't helping."

Nihilus turns to face the improvisational entrance.

"Hell, I'll make it easy for ya. Gentlemen."

The drow takes a shallow bow before egressing, legs hefting him at a swift pace towards Reggie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Oresteus follows.

14. - Top - End - #14

Chimera

You head downstairs to find an old eladrin sitting behind a desk. He barely glances up as you approach, but points to the nearest wall. It is covered with sharp nails, with scraps of parchment hanging from some of the nails. The eladrin says, "Those are guild endorsed quests. You will pay the guild ten percent of your monetary reward received from the quest."

When you look over the quest board, a few notes catch your eyes.

Quest Board
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lost Eyeglasses
    I was strolling through the market, near around Avandra's Well, when a particular vendor's merchandise, being particulalry shiny, caught my eye. I took out my eyeglasses to get a better look, when a young hooligan bumped into me, and my glasses plumetted down the well! I need a couple of able young bodies to retrieve it for me.
    Reward: 10 gp

Find My Son!
    I implore any adventurers who accept this quest, please help me find my son! My name is Reena, and I live in the northeast quadrent across from the temple of Pelor. My son is fifteen years old, has shoulder length light brown hair, blue eyes, and a bright red birthmark on his neck. If you need any more information, please visit me and I'll tell you anything you need. Just bring him back safe!
    Reward: 30 gp

Drinking Contest
    My friend and I both have the Constitution of a field mouse, but we can't get enough of drinking games. We made a bet to see who could find the best drinker. I'm making good use of my guild membership and asking any adventurers with hearty stamina if they'd be willing to help out. You'll definitely get a share of the pot, and it will be a grand time! Meet us in the Dragon's Den Inn when you're ready, and say you're drinking for Pick (that's me)!
    Reward: 25 gp

Debt Notice
    A particular client of mine owes me more than he has been willing to pay. The client in question is Oren Illbeard, a dwarf who lives in the southwestern quadrent in his place of work, the Dire Anvil. None of my associates were willing to pay him a visit, but I am willing to pay any adventurers to get what I deserve. Once you obtain the debt (by any means necessary), my associate will collect it by Avandra's Well in the town square, and he or she will give you your reward.
    Reward: 100 gp

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

After hearing of the guild's cut, Nihilus looks over the jobs with wide-eyed disbelief.

"Wait, we're forking over ten slices for a couple of postings and a little advice we could find in any seedy tavern? You givin' us material support or what?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Oresteus goes up to the board and deftly rips the "Find My Son!" posting from it.

"Let us start with this," he says as he hands it to Reggie.

"The boy could be in danger, so time is of the essence."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

Ignoring Nihilus' complaints, Jarek moves up behind Oresteus, places a hand on his shoulder and nods.

"I agree entirely, my masked friend."

And with that he turns on his heel, dramatically whipping his Badass Longcoat behind him and strides towards the exit.

"We should make for this woman's house in the northeast quadrant post haste!"

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

"My name is Oresteus," he says as he follows.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistik View Post
    After hearing of the guild's cut, Nihilus looks over the jobs with wide-eyed disbelief.

"Wait, we're forking over ten slices for a couple of postings and a little advice we could find in any seedy tavern? You givin' us material support or what?"
    He's giving us something to fall back on, somewhere to go for advice from a more experienced person, a potential ally, and resources that, while intangible, are worthwhile nonetheless. Money and equipment come second to these. Masc bowed to the Eladrin, I apologize for my compatriot's words. Ah, it seems the others are ready to leave.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    "My name is Oresteus," he says as he follows.
    Jarek, human swordmage:

Jarek passes Oresteus a smile as they head on their way out.

"Jarek Evenstride. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, you seem a good man."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

"Forget the intangibles. I want something demonstrable! Thirty gold cut four ways doesn't go far, nevermind twenty seven. I just wanna know what we're payin' for. So far, the advice we got isn't worth almost half a party member."

Nihilus shakes his head, his mouth inset with a sour frown.

"And don't apologize for me; I got a right to ask! Some of you might be fine with getting outed, but I got gear to pay for, ambitions to pursue; it's a perfectly legitimate question. Not an iota wrong with some rational self interest."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Masc rubbed the bridge of his nose, shaking his head in disbelief. This was already starting to be a pain. You can stay here and argue then. It will just be a bigger cut for the rest of us. He then walked towards the others, making sure his broadsword was secure.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

"Yeah, don't count on this takin' too long. Simple questions should have simple answers."

He looks to the Eladrin, eyes sharply expectant.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drakefall View Post
    Jarek, human swordmage:

Jarek passes Oresteus a smile as they head on their way out.

"Jarek Evenstride. A pleasure to make your acquaintance, you seem a good man."
    "People can seem to be many things. It is one's actions that are the true test of character. I like to think of myself as a good man, and hope that I can show that through my deeds."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

"Aye, you speak wisely. We shall have to see what good we can get up to then, ey?"
    Last edited by Drakefall; 2010-08-10 at 04:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed. So what brought you to this guild?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

"We~ell... that's a bit of a story,the short version being: doing the right thing got me into some trouble back in my home town, and I had to get away. I wound up in this town, and taking up adventuring seemed the natural thing for a level one swordmage to do. With enough gold I should be able to buy my way back home. You'll have to forgive me for not giving you the full story, but the fact that you go around with that mask on tells me you understand there are some things one hides for a good reason. If we stick together though I'm sure I'll get around to telling you the whole thing."

Taking a glance over at Oresteus, Jarek adds "You strike me as the kind of fellow who's got quite a story behind him. Any parts of it you mind sharing? Of course I'll take no offense if you'd rather not."
    Last edited by Drakefall; 2010-08-10 at 07:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

"I was abandoned in the Underdark as a child, and raised by one Father Blackhammer, a hermetic priest of Moradin. He was not a kind mentor. Proud, righteous and dedicated, but not kind. He brooked no failure from me and taught me everything I knew. He taught me the arts of metalworking and smithing. This armor I wear, I forged it myself. I spent years working on it, until finally, after more than ten years of work, Father Blackhammer said it was adequate. He taught me swordplay as well. Dwarven superstitions hold that swords are unlucky weapons, as they are made with only one purpose, to kill. They believe that since a sword can only be used in a negative way, it takes on negative aspects. A dwarf balances this by using a weapon that has a use in peacetime, like a hammer on the forge or the carpenter's workshop, an axe in the lumber camp, or a pick in the mines. Father Blackhammer taught me the sword because he believed that was all rubbish, and aimed to prove it to his peers through me. He taught me to take responsibility for my actions, and only my actions. Walk down one street instead of another, and you may doom someone to die, but you're a fool if you blame yourself for this. I owe him everything."

29. - Top - End - #29

Chimera

Reggie looks up at Nihilus, over the rim of his eyeglasses, and simply says, "Stores in town give guild approved adventurers discounts." Then he turns back to his work.

You head to the northeast quadrant, and find that this seems to be where the temples of the area are. The largest temple is dedicated to a trio: Pelor, Bahamut, and Avandra. There is also a temple of Moradin, a temple of Corellon, and a temple of Erathis. However, there is no place of worship for the followers of the Raven Queen.

Across from the temple of the Good trio is Reena's house. When you knock, a pale woman with blue eyes so big that it looks like she's constantly frightened opens the door. Seeing the note and recognizing that you are adventurers, she squeaks and says, "Oh, come in please."

Her house, while not very large, is well adorned and well kept. She sits you all down in her sitting room and brings a tray of tea and biscuts. She then begins explaining her problem more thoroughly. "It was three days ago when he went missing. He walked to school, as usual, but he never came home." She accentuates her worry with another squeak. "Oh, dear, I'm afraid he could have been mugged and robbed and thrown over the town wall to be left to the goblins!" She dabs at her large, watery eyes with a handkerchief.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Jarek, human swordmage:

Not wanting to affront the woman's hospitality, Jarek helps himself to a cup of tea.

"Madam, I assure you we shall do our utmost to find your son. Can you tell us his name?"

"Could you tell us where his school is and what route he takes there and back?"

"Do you perhaps know of anyone who would want to gain any leverage over you by kidnapping your son or anyone who might haver a grudge against him?"

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: I'm shooting questions here to save a bit of time. Assume they are coming at a reasonable pace which the poor woman can handle.