New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Woman of Steel Man of Kleenex

Pretty much every female who isn't part of a team book has romantic relationships that aren't with other super heroes(although they do often have relationships with other heroes too). The problem is that there are so few high profile superheroines outside of the team books.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeavelli View Post
    Isn't betsy ross the woman who sewed the american flag? Why is she dating a superhero?
    Sorry, BETTY Ross dates the Hulk

3. - Top - End - #33
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Actually, I'm surprised no one took it into the bedroom. It's not quite the "shotgun" analogy, but still...

Super Kegels. Ow.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumman View Post
    I still think the issue there is comparing yourself unfavourably with Joe Average (for whom pickle jars are supposed to be openable and sofas are supposed to be moveable), not with your girlfriend. As long as you're at that "good enough" level, I don't think it would matter much that she's better.
    The question is where that "good enough," level lies. Especially since humans are very much subjective creatures. Take, for instance, how people who are more attractive try to hang out with people in their same tier of attractiveness. Those who are at a certain level or who are in an area where the average is, erm, kinda dowdy, start comparing themselves to celebrities and other fake/unnatural/photo-enhanced paragons of "beauty."

And, well, when it's closer to home, the subjective comparison becomes easier to make.
    Last edited by Coidzor; 2010-08-11 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I dont know the specifics of her relations, but Ms. Marvel has had her own series, and she dated Wonder Man, kinda ironic that.
    Anyways she is up there in powers as well.
    Last edited by shiram; 2010-08-11 at 03:44 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    Eh. I dunno. I've read it, and it kind of makes a lot of assumptions that don't fit more modern explanations. That, and since none of what he proposes has happened...
    It was written in 1971. The 'more modern explanations' you refer to exist because of what he wrote.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Ogre in the Playground

If I recall correctly, the Amazing Spider-Girl only had norms for love interests, even if she had the same or worse luck as her father in those relationships. This sort of proves the idea that if a heroine gets a solo title, they'll cultivate a cast of normal people and then have romantic attachments to them.

I don't think it's an aspect of gender roles and power in a relationship, I think its an aspect of storytelling, that when you've got a cast of characters who are all superheroes, then all your relationships are between superheroes. It's very difficult to have a team book feature a lot of interaction outside of the mask.

Actually, now that I think about it, in Ultimate Spider-Man it seemed like Kitty Pryde was starting to get interested in Kong, but I ejected myself from that entire continuity during Ultimates 3, so I don't know if that went anywhere. Heck, Kitty or Kong might be dead now for all I know, I heard pretty much everyone died in Ultimatum.

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob View Post
    Kim Possible kinda has the "strong girl, weak boy" thing going. It's the only one that comes to mind and doesn't really count but hey.
    Well, in the series finale in season 4 he is revealed to be some sort of Monkey god Avatar and saves the world with magic wuxia kung fu. In fact, through a portion of seasons 3 and 4 he was practically the main protagonist.
    A review of the best scifi/fantasy book you will have read, and a review of the even better sequel.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    You do your avatar proud

Member #29 of the Tin-foil Hat Alliance

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a few pretty well established at least semi solo superheroines that you find out about if you are an avid comic fan such as, Electra, and White Tiger. Then you have several members of the new/mighty avengers who are not in romantic relationships with any members of their teams such as Spider Woman, and Ms. Marvel.

As others have pointed out, X-men has many female superheroines such as Jean Grey, Storm, Shadowcat, Psylocke (one of the coolest x-men ever), Rogue, pixie, Jubilee, rachel summers, Emma Frost, Dazzler, Domino (some times), Siryn, the stepford Cuckoos, and various others that I can't think of off the top of my head.
    Alexi Laiho Avatar by Mr._Saturn
    Spoiler
    Show

Sephiroth and Arthuai
    [CENTER]Sepiroth avatars by Ink
    Arthuai by Mr_Saturn
    Alexi Laiho by Mr_Saturn

I have a metal blog thing now, check it out

Quote Originally Posted by D'anna Biers View Post
    MOTHER NATURE IS LIKE A REAL MOTHER. IN THAT SHE SECRETELY HATES YOU AND NEVER LETS YOU GO OUT WITH YOUR HOODLUM FRIENDS.
    You can't kill the metal, metal will live on! \m/