New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Men of the Middle Land (IC)

The Rite of Settlement is as ancient as any tradition the Tribe knows. Every few generations, when nomadic life becomes untenable for the people of the Tribe, a temporary settlement is founded. This temporary settlement will sustain the people, give them comfort and security. It will let them rebuild and flourish. In the Middle Lands, no settlement is permanent and eventually raids, drought or even Chaos itself will necessitate that the Tribe continue onward, continue its nomadic path. This cycle has continued beyond even the earliest histories of the Tribe.

And every time the Rite of Settlement is invoked, it is the young and the brash that are sent to survey wilderness and to find a suitable location. Some return mere weeks later, their journey almost immediately bringing them to fresh water, good soil and high ground. Others take decades, and when they return the Tribe has changed a great deal. These returning Settlers are considered Heroes and often arrive just in time to save the Tribe from extinction. In dark times, Settlers never return and many of the Tribe die, forcing themselves to build on inhospitable land.

You three have been chosen as Settlers. When you were chosen, mere days ago, you set off toward the South West. You've learned a fair bit about each other, as there is little to do on the ancient roads other than talk. You sit at camp now, huddled around a warm and crackling fire. You're are less than a days travel from your first crossroad, the first branch in a path so ancient that no ones knows who cleared it. As you sit around the fire, discussion your option for tomorrow, you hear a small snap in the woods, a little ways off the path. It is difficult to discern the direction

Spoiler
    Show
    I will roll a Listen Check for each player whenever you guys say so? Also, feel free to delay your check until the end of any discussion you guys want to have around the fire.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-10 at 04:09 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Men of the Middle Land (IC)

Dearg stops sharpening his one and only treasure: a big and powerfull axe, caught from a dead enemy, with which killed more than he can remember, and whose past may have killed more than he can imagine. He looks around, trying to spot any unfriendly signs...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for how long it took me to reply! I'm all up for rolling those listen checks as quickly as possible, it'l be easier to strike conversations after some action to introduce us all.

Kian is squatting by the fire, poking at the embers with a thin, dry stick occasionally pulling it out to watch the fire devour the wood ravenously. The men around him were people he had grown up with, but tonight they seemed oddly silent, they couldn't already be tired from the travelling? Kian shrugged the thought away, and instead rested his eyes on Dearg's axe. An mean, deadly thing and yet it was still hauntingly beautiful in it's inherent danger. Kian poked his own javelins. They were not as scary as the axe, but Kian had proved before he could more than hold his own in a fight with them, they sure were better for hunting than for piercing the hearts of men though, that was for sure.

For days he had been mentally preparing for the Rite of Settlement. If only they could return quickly, what stories he could tell! What legends he would be the hero of! Oh, and the women he could seduce with the tribe safely settled in a land ripe with life. Kian continued this inner monologue until his wooden stick had burned out, picked up another and fed the flames anew. Soon, he'd be tired enough to sleep...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Just got home from families, posting and what not. Wouldn't mind rolling listen checks and stuff

Vladinek was sitting close to the fire while stringing his beloved Kobza, a prized family heirloom. The fire seemed to dance on the wood like nymphs enticing a man to drink which in itself was a beautiful thought. His spear stayed rested right next to the young cossack and every so often he strummed on a string ever so gently to test the sound.

The tribes young bard did not really enjoy Deargs love for his weapon, as strange as it looked to any tribesmen and especially to such a storyteller. After all there have been stories of men naming their weapons after family members which caused the dead to walk and of women which had caused the weapon to shape into a woman and cut deep into the owner with her spite! Truly such tales could be false but in this day and age one would never know.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Alright, everyone ready to roll, it seems.

Nothing strange noticed, Dearg goes back to taking care of his weapon. It's an awfully silent night, not only he and his fellow tribesmen didn't seem in the mood for friendly banter, but also the nature seemed to have gone suddenly quiet, as if it feared some presence. "Not a good sign" he thinks, "could have we done something to anger the spirits?", for there is little mortal he fears, but the same does not count with spirits. They are immune to his blade, and can do more than just take away his life, taking also his soul and bringing him eternal pain and torment. Or they could simply deny him access to the after life, forcing him to wander through earth as another restless soul, always seeking the relief that would never come. With such thoughts he shivers, but as he looks at Vadinek he calms a little bit. His deep knowledge about things that belong to this world, and about others that don't, comforts him as much as his mysterious aptitude for the magical arts, which fascinates him and grabs his attention in the rare moments he gets the opportunity to presence such kind of display. "No, that kind of things cannot be taken lightly", he concludes. "With Vladinek keeping the bad spirits away, Kian will surely find another settlement-suitable place in no time, and then I would be one of the heroes. All I need to do is to get sure that their heads remain where they are, attached to their bodies. Many perils await to collect them in this treacherous land." Lost in thoughts, he realizes he has stopped his manual work. He takes a piece of his cloth and starts cleaning the axe, while resuming his inner monologue.
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-12 at 10:51 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry for the delay Gentlemen. The DSL in my new place is shaky at best. Therefore this post will be anemic. On the plus side, I used what little net I could steal from work to figure out the dice roller. So you can find that thread here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164002

Guardsman 21
    Mathis 19
    Anders 3

Sorry for the inconvenience.

There were voices in the woods. It took sometime to pin down their location exactly, but you manage to discern that there are 4 of them and they are on the North side of your camp. They were discussing tactics, apparently in Common. There appears to be some disagreement over "whose turn it is to go first".

Whoever they are, and whatever they are, they are well-hidden. No amount of searching allows you to see them, and you get the distinct impression that the group is fairly mobile in the thick woods, just off the road.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-12 at 04:51 PM. Reason: EDIT - Expanded do to new source of internet connection.

7. - Top - End - #7

Kian

Kian looks between their small group while casually picking up one of his javelins. With a subtle nervousness to his voice, Kian asks the others: "So, shall we run? Or do we wait and see what they want?" Kian shifts his weight back and forth restlessly. "Because personally I'd like to wait, but since when did random encounters around here bring good with them? I say we run afterall, and if ya'll want we can backtrack and find their tracks later and give them a piece of their own medicine."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ack, a 3. I'm really focused into my axe, it seems :P

Dearg

"Hmm? Who are you talking about? Spirits or mortals? If spirits, I say we run, if mortals, I say we chop'em." Dearg answers, getting a good grip of his weapon, ready to jump into whatever fate brings him.
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-14 at 03:30 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

Kian

Kian turns to Dearg with a surprised look that says: You really can't hear them? The man must be half-asleep. "Four possible hostiles, on the north side of here, mortals by the sound of it but I honestly can't tell for sure.", Kian informs Dearg. "If we run south now we'll have robbed them of their surprise attack, perhaps they'll follow so we can rob them of their cover of the woods aswell. You guys with me?" The nervous tone in Kian's voice has disappeared, the adrenaline pumping through his body has already readied him for a fight, or a good sprint if it came to that.
    Last edited by Mathis; 2010-08-15 at 07:06 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dearg

"You the boss", Dearg agrees nodding and waiting for the bard's opinion and Kian's sign to move.
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-14 at 10:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    I'd like to see Guardsman's reaction since he rolled highest, but if you guys don't want to wait, feel free to drag him along. In the meantime, your conversation seems to have allowed the hidden beings to make listen checks of their own...

There is no more noise from the North now, and for a moment, everything is stock still. In fact, it is too still.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kian rolls a 21 nature check

There are no birds or animals nearby, even though the breed of bush nearest to the road is known to Kian as very hospitable to wildlife. The only reason Kian can conceive for their to be no animals present is if those bushes are a very recent addition to these woods.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-15 at 10:22 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Guardsman is out, so we need to alter our plans. Pray I don't alter them any further... sorry, that just sort of slipped out. Anyway...

The bushes leapt on Valdinek and there was a horrid scream from the normally jovial bard. Stubby arms and legs had sprouted from inside the bush, each wielding a shining dagger. Apparently, Halflings had disguised themselves as local fauna. Valdinek had barely enoughtime to bat away one of his attackers before his throat and groin were split wide open. With a blossom of gore, he stumbled to the ground. Dead.

The lead Bush turns to you (you think? His face is obscured by leaves.) and says, "Surrender your goods or die like your friend!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Hafling Rogue Init rolls:

1 - 23
    2 - 18
    3 - 10
    4 - 6

I hadn't meant to have this much combat, and certainly not this early. But Guardsman left us hanging, so he had to go away. Might as well make it interesting. Let's get an Init roll from you two, live through this and I promise mega rewards.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-16 at 01:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Kian

Ach, well there goes my plans, Kian thought as Vladinek's blood filled the air. He threw a glance Deargs' way and hoped he could handle that axe as well as he looked like he could 'cause there was no way they were getting out of this here situation alive without a fight.

"Ofcourse Mr.Bush-man, catch it if you can."

Initiative! (1d20+3)[22]

Kian tried to utter the words as confidently as possible, but as they left his mouth he was unsure of their effect. He threw the javelin already in his hand at the bush that had talked to them.
    Attack at Point Blank range for +1 to attack and damage: (1d20+5)[11]

Damage: (1d6+1)[2]

14. - Top - End - #14

Spoiler
    Show
    I forgot to add that I declare my Dodge on the Halfling that spoke.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

The javelin, though thrown on target, connects only with leaves and branches. The bush-disguises apparently make the Halfings appear larger than they are.

Spoiler
    Show
    Halfing Attack Roll - 6 Dearg up next, I think. Unless he rolls under 10 Init. This is a bit messy, but its fun and it seems to be working ok. I'll post a definite Init Order the minute we have one.

In response, a halfling launched himself at Kian. The blade was held high but the Ranger was already back-pedaling and the blade swiped at open air. There were two focused on Kian now and they were working to try and flank him.

The other attackers stayed a few feet back, considering the imposing Barbarian. Dearg was just scary enough to keep the Halfings cautious, but not frightening enough to scare them off. The rush would come hard, fast, and soon.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-17 at 05:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Kian

(On his initiative, next round.)
    Kian groaned as the halflings dagger just barely missed his guts. He had followed the dagger with his eyes and now quickly stepped backwards again to gain some distance between himself and the halflings (5 foot step into the nearest safe square, also I declare my dodge on one of the halflings that are trying to help me die a dagger-y death), then throws another one of his javelins at the closest Halfling.

Attack: (1d20+5)[9]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[4]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

For Dearg, time froze for a second. It took just a moment, but it was an eternity for him. He closed his eyes and a million thoughts, images and sounds came back to him. All of them linked with Vladinek.
    This was not the first companion he lost, and would certainly not be the last, so, with time and painful experience, he had found this way to process such losses.
    After the end of this painful experience, there was peace. No sounds, no reality. And then... it. He opened his blood-shot red eyes and a burst of fury took over him.
    Now there was no more Vladinek, no more memories to him associated. Sure, a small thought would come back once and again, but with time they would all vanish forever, and right now, with all that adrenaline in his veins, all he saw was his axe and his targets. Blood, yes, that was all he needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    For if you REALLY didn't get it, yes, I entered into a rage
    EDIT: Which will last 8 rounds

No words, no thoughts, just actions. He rushed forward and swung his axe open, in order to chop the Halflings like harvesting crop.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative
    (1d20+1)[20]
    Attack
    (1d20+6)[13]
    Damage
    (1d12+5)[11]
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-18 at 05:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

The nearest Halfing to the enraged dwarf was struck mightily by the twirling GreatAxe

Spoiler
    Show
    Dearg's Damage Roll (1d12+3)[10]

He fell to the ground, bleeding from the massive gash. His death was inevitable, but cruelly, it was not immediate. Dearg's second attack swung high over the second rogue's head.

The other Halfing leapt on Dearg's back, with murderous intent. And his blade found purchase.

Spoiler
    Show
    Had to roll this offline, apologies. Anyway 12 enough to strike Dearg. He rolled crap damage though: 1 dmg.

The blade left only the smallest scratch in the Dwarf's leathery skin.

For Kian's part, before he could throw his second javelin he was set upon by his attackers. They let out wild calls for the Ranger's death, hurling themselves with surprising savagery.

Spoiler
    Show
    Halfing attacks: (with +1 for charge) 12 and 15 respectively
    3 damage.

The first blade Kian caught upon his leather bracer and deflected away. It was a skilled and practiced motion. Perhaps too practiced, as his muscles moved instinctually and left him open to the second attack. The second dagger sliced a proper wound in to Kian's thigh, dangerously close to his knee.

Spoiler
    Show
    Kian's had his second attack, so Dearg's up next. We're down to three Halfings
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-19 at 01:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Drix will be Orange
    A halfling comes over the hill, sees the bloody scene before him, and rushes over to the battle. He speaks to the halflings: "Now fellas, ya know you shouldn't bother no strangers! Now nighty night! He speaks a few words of power, and casts sleep on the three remaining halflings.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    This actions are before the sleep spell, or if it fails. If now, I stand at rage waiting for Kian to talk with the newcomer.

Dearg barely noticed the wound, his mind's attention called by the sounds in his back. His friend seemed to be in danger. He turned, dangerously ignoring the Halfling he was fighting, and targeted the ones attacking Kian.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (1d20+6)[11]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[17]

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Dearg's massive Axe landed with a loud thunk in the cobblestone road, cracking the rocks. The Halfling was small and wily, but looked on with nothing but abject terror. There didn't seem to be any way to halt the Dwarf's flurry of blows. How long could he possibly dodge...

Spoiler
    Show
    Halfling Will Saves:

Halfling 1 (1d20+1)[2]
    Halfling 3 (1d20+1)[16]
    Halfling 4 (1d20+1)[21]
    Wow, a critical failure and critical success in the same round.

The Halfling that stabbed Kian's leg sudden let his eyes hang heavy and collapsed to the ground, snoring peacefully. Drix's spell had caught ahold of his mind and forced him into unconsciousness.

the other Halflings, adrenaline still pumping and fear still quite alive, merely shook their heads. As they did, their vision cleared and they raised their weapons once again.

Spoiler
    Show
    Init Order Final:
    Halfing 1 - 23 (attacking Kian/Asleep)
    Kian - 21
    Dearg - 20
    Halfing 3- 10 (Attacking Kian)
    Halfling 4 - 6 (Attacking Dearg)
    Drix - Entered with surprise round here.
    As I see it, Kian needs to take his third round, since the halfling that goes before him. Then Dearg takes his third. I do some Halflings, and Drix can take his second. Assuming the Halflings live that long.
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-20 at 10:10 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kian

Kian didn't even notice the new halfling until he caused his attackers to fall asleep around him. Atleast he is backing up the right people, he thought. His mystical powers better not turn on us or we're worse off than poor Vladinek! Again he stepped backwards and out of the hostile halflings reach (Another 5-foot steep) and threw his third javelin. This one better find it's target, he prayed softly.

Attack: (1d20+5)[14]
    Damage: (1d6+1)[3]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    At first I was attacking the Halfling that was fighting Kian, but upon closer inspection, I saw that Kian had hurt him, so I thought it was better to attack the one in my back, since my blows, if they hit the target, have a very high chance of being fatal. If it's not allowed, though, please let me know, and I'll edit it back.

Not sure of what to do with the unexpected guest, Dearg thought it was better to end with the current menace, and deal with the possible one latter.
    He turned once again and went for the Halfling that inflicted him a small wound. He swung his axe in a diagonal movement, from his lower right, to his top left.

Attack: (1d20+6)[22]
    Damage: (1d12+5)[11]

After dividing him in two pieces, Dearg turns around and faces the last standing Halfling menacingly.
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-20 at 12:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

The standing halfling that menaced Kian took the javelin high in the shoulder- roughly waist-high on Kian. He stumble back and his eyes widened at the sight of his on blood. The Halflings were savage and brutal, but they were still craven theives. The rogue's thoughts of escape were dashed once he realized that both sides of the path were blocked to him now, and the sorcerer now stood between him and treeline.

He looked to his one remaining ally for support-
    just in time to see him cleaved completely in half by the Axe of the mad dwarf.

Gathering up every bit of his remaining resolve the Halfling turn, and charged the Sorcerer. It was clear his goal was the treeline, and timely escape.

Spoiler
    Show

Halfling attack on Drix - (1d20+3)[15]
    Halfling Damage (1d4)[3]

The crazed halfling let out a yelp of victory has his blade parted the Sorcerer's flesh, leaving a bloody streak across his chest. He continued to attempt to move past his magical enemy, caring not for his own defense.

Spoiler
    Show
    Drix, take an attack of opportunity and then it's also your turn
    Last edited by Crunchy English; 2010-08-20 at 05:09 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Drix feels a lingering pain from the blow, and staggers back a bit, but launches off a sling at the halfling as it passes him. He then summons up a ball of acid, and fires it as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    AOO (1d20+3)[14] Dmg. (1d3)[2] Acid splash attack: (1d20+3)[23] dmg (1d3)[2] These mods are all guesses, lol. Don't have my sheet in front of me.

Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

The last of the Halflings, already wounded by Kian's javelin, was stuck first in the back of the head by a stone, and then in the leg by sizzling acid. The wounds caused him to scream in agony, the loudest noise any of the bandits had made yet.

Despite his grievous wounds, his adrenaline carried him into the woods and he staggered into the treeline. Still adorned by his bush-disguise, he was only 5ft into the woods when he disappeared from sight. The combat was over, but now the remaining Settlers were faced with 3 problems.

First, and perhaps the most promising, was the Halfling Sorcerer that had come to their aid. He was likely trustworthy, since he had put his life on the line for strangers and been wounded in the process. However, he was also an unknown, which is always dangerous in these parts. Worst of all, he was a Halfling, which was preventing the Settlers from spewing out their favourite Racial Slurs.

Second, there was the escaped Halfling. In his cunning costume, he would be difficult to find in the woods, although his wounds would make him easier to track at a distance.

Third, the sleeping Halfling that had fallen at Kian's feet was still alive, and apparently dreaming of food. He could be captured, but there were no known authorities in these parts. He could be killed, but as he was currently unarmed and defenseless which could have presented a moral quandary.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Drix opens his mouth, and a torrent of words comes out, fast as he can talk. "Heya folks! Name's Drix, Drix Blix of the Law Lands. Sorry about the entrance, figured you might need some help, haha. They're some nasty little buggers. What're your names?

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dearg stands with every muscle tensed up, both hands holding his battleaxe in front of him, looking straight to the halfling's eyes. Vladinek was the one in charge of the "chatting", but with him gone, the task fell into Kian's hands. Dearg just hoped he'd make a quick resolution, for he would tire sooner or later, and they still had to extract information from the sleeping one, before executing him and moving on.
    Last edited by Anders Celsius; 2010-08-25 at 12:03 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Kian

Spoiler
    Show
    I apologize for my slow post rate the last few days, but I've been busy handling complaints at the university I go to. Being a studentrepresentative is taking up alot of time these first weeks of school.

Still panting and clutching his wounded leg, Kian saw that Dearg was too wound up to talk and adressed the newcomer: "Hail! And thank you Drix. I'm not sure if we owe our lives to you, or if we should thank the gods for sending you here to us, at this moment in time!
    We were on our way to find suitable land for a settlement when these raiders attacked us. Normally I wouldn't go for this, but it seems we're one man short and you're alone and unprotected so far. So how about you join up with us for awhile as we travel?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Drix, who never really learned to be distrustful because of the safety of the lawlands, said "Well sure! Been awful lonely out here alone! And findin' someplace for you to settle sounds like an adventure!"

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!