New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Fey vs Industrial- Industrial Side IC

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Your duties aren't going to be a problem. I'd be more than happy to arrange for a proxy to manage you position while you're gone."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

I have intel of high importance yo your efforts agenst the Fey Than the snake uncoils and slithers across the table, bones clinking on metal, as it makes it's way stopping right in front of the interrogator, and opens it's boned jaw revealing the message within.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Cordially thanking the familiar old man on his way in, Daemon handed the small amount of luggage he carried with him to him, and made his way to the table, quickly scanning over his sister's handwriting.

So there was another military meeting occuring. Excellent; Daemon could finally catch up on the current news about the conflicts with the Fey, and catch up with Amaryliss at the same time. The thin man smiled wanly at his sisters orders against stress; he wondered vaguely if she expected him to heed them at all anymore.

He straightened up quickly, without looking at the elderly servant.

"As a matter of fact, I would like assistance in two matters, if it is no trouble to yourself. If you could, perhaps, give me directions to this meeting my sister has attended and a coat more suited to this weather? I should like to see how the expansion efforts are going myself."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack
    Spoiler
    Show

"I thank you for your offer, but I assure you I am fully capable of taking care of my own responsibilities." Amaryllis says, nodding slightly. She turns and walks away from Roth. There is no chance I would let that incompetent fool anywhere near my home, let alone give him the chance to get his oversized nose into my personal business! she thinks, slightly annoyed underneath an expression of perfect calm.
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-08-20 at 05:03 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Uh what does it say?

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    The old man effortlessly carries the luggage into the next room before returning with a map covered in fresh ink detailing your route. "I can have a carriage arranged if you are feeling under the weather, sir."

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    The fat man smugly smiles at your departure then goes back to his conversation with the hulking flail-wielder.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Daemon replied without taking his eyes from the map he had been handed.

"Yes, that would be most convenient."

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Nano
    Spoiler
    Show
    It reports abnormal fey movement, including a large scale amassment of forces. It also gives statistics on common (Fey) battle tactics, and intell on strengths and weaknesses of many rare fey. Scribed at the bottom are the results of many scyings and the such.

8. - Top - End - #38

@drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    His eyebrows raise after a few moments of reading. "We may have something here... of course it will take time to confirm this information, but until then you are free to go. We will be keeping an eye on you until then." The bowmen lower their weapons and the doorway leading to the rest of the city opens.

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    Without a moments hesitation, he disappears into the rear of the house. He returns with a young man, who after being handed some coin, immediately sets out into the street to flag down your ride. It's not long before you hear a rap at your door and the grease-soaked man stands in the doorway, triumphantly. Your carriage awaits.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

With a quick nod of thanks to both the doorman and the younger servant, Daemon stepped into the cairrage and leaned back, looking steadily at the ceiling as he waited for his arrival to the meetinghouse.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Nano
    Spoiler
    Show
    I ask the interrogator for a good inn and to notify me when he has worked out the matter of how useful the letter was. than i depart, and go to the inn, get a room to retreat into, and make the remaining two cats into detect magic spells, and mutter to myself all night waiting for a reply

11. - Top - End - #41

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The inn he recommended to you looks sort of run down though you do remember a nicer looking one you passed by earlier.

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    The carriage pulls in front of a building that looks to be a mix of bot courthouse and cathedral. The set of massive double doors directly in front stands ajar with light spilling out from within.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Nano
    Spoiler
    Show
    I settle for the run down inn reasoning that this way I will be properly informed, or they will have no excuses. (After all I lived a couple thousand years in a cave, how bad could an inn be? )

I enter the inn and walk over to the innkeeper and say Sir, how much for a room at this establishment?
    Last edited by drack; 2010-08-22 at 04:33 AM. Reason: forgot color

13. - Top - End - #43

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    The look in the mans eye is definitely not friendly, but the prospect of money leads him to speak. "It'll be five silver. You get the room at the end of the hall." He points to a dimly lit hallway off to the right. From where you're standing, you can see four rooms other than the one you've been offered.

In the common area of the inn, you can see a handful of typical tavern-goers, but one in particular strikes you as odd. A little girls sits by herself in the corner eating a bread roll.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Daemon leaned impassively out the window of the cairrage, surveying the apparent meetinghouse. It was an admirable building to be most certain: the inner city got more grand every time he came. Once again avoiding eye contact with the servant, Daemon raised himself slowly off of his seat before dropping out of the cairrage and striding quickly into the open door.

Daemon stood for a while directly inside the door, quickly shaking his drenched and oily hair dry with a single, somewhat wolfish movement and allowing himself to take in the detail of the establishment and the people that were in it.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

I drop a gold coin (only slightly bloodied) in the innkeeper's hand saying I'll take it for two nights for now, no meals, and a tub of water to my room if you will, but mind you not with it's heating.

I than work my way across the inn to the girl. When I get there I take a seat with her placing my blood-coated arms on the tabe, and ask How old are you child, and why do you sit all alone in this establishment.

16. - Top - End - #46

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    She seemed distant when you first approached, but upon speaking she looks up in fear. "You came back to get me too? I don't care anymore, let the monsters have me..." She seems on the verge of tears.

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you enter, the crowd in the main hallway surprises you. All manner of scruffy looking individuals are standing around in their own little cliques discussing battle strategy and filling out various forms. One of the fat political-types is standing near the end of the hall shaking the hand of a man literally twice his size.

Obviously a warrior, and though his armor obscures most of his details, you can still tell he's too massive to be human. The head of the flail hanging from his hip is larger than your head and the handle looks to be made of some rare wood that is capped at one end with an iron spike. He doesn't seem to be alone though, as there are two people listening intently to the conversation from their position nearby the opposite wall.

Walking away from those two, looking quite frustrated, is Amaryllis.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I reply What monsters would want you, and who else did they take? The Medicine Man leans forward in interest.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Knowledge (Fey) check to see if I can scope this big guy out at all:

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+8)[22]

After a quick sweep of the room, Daemon's attention focused on the two figures his sister had left in such a huff. His intuition, as well his experience with his sister, told him that the passionately idealistic Amaryllis had had some form of altercation with these men. Daemon quickly decided he needed to talk to this party before his sister saw him and revealed their connection: Knowing his sister, things could very well turn ugly then depending on just how much they had managed to rile her up.

Daemon quickly stooped forward slightly and widened his eyes out of their usual predatory glare, attempting to fit better the part of the sickly, out of touch lord as he made his way toward the two men.

"Em, pardon me, sirs. I've just come out from one of the outer feifdoms and thought I would see how the recent expansion against the Fey has been going. From the look of things," He slipped an unobtrusive thumb over his shoulder, indicating his sister, "I have just missed a rather dramatic debate. Do tell," He attempted to widen his eyes further in a fabricated look of admiration "What bold move has incited this contoversy?"

At this last statement, Daemon looked at the well dressed man and the giant in turn, making it clear he was expecting an answer from either, if not both, of them.

Spoiler
    Show

I am taking 10 on a diplomacy check to butter up both guys, and likewise on a bluff check to seem less like an intellectual threat to the bureaucrat. I think that would be a 25 on diplomacy and a 21 on bluff, respectively.
    Last edited by questionmark; 2010-08-25 at 09:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell your appearance is what frightened her (perhaps the stench of death as well). Your calm tone and well-intentioned questioning warms her slightly. She looks up at you, attempting to make eye contact. "I dunno. My daddy just disappeared one night, but there was a flower laying in my bed when i woke up. I ran in his room and there were plants and blood everywhere, but not daddy..." She regains her panicked look.

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell he's likely not human, but anything more is hidden by the armor.

The armored man speaks first, albeit briefly. "I ain't really sposed to talk shop cept' wit this guy an my mates over dere." He gestures to two unfriendly looking mercenary types listening in on the conversation from the opposite wall.

The fat man, however, seems enthralled by your manner of speaking. "Can you believe that foul woman would barge in here, no reason whatsoever, and start gibbering at me about wartime morals? She thinks she knows those savage leafbloods better than I do!"

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I ask Do you have any Idea where these monsters are?

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Nanoblack

Spoiler
    Show
    Amaryllis slips into the crowds, mingling, making small talk, and directing conversations towards what is truly on her mind: the expansion and the way people feel about it and the Fey in general. Hoping that she is not the only one who sees the fey as beings with true emotions and ideals, but realizing that many people share Roth's opinion, believing that the fey are savage beasts, fit only to die.

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information: (1d20+1)[16]
    Diplomacy to get people thinking about the morality of the situation: (1d20+6)[10]

22. - Top - End - #52

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    She is now holding back sobs. "I was always told they were the forest people."

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    It's not difficult to get most to explain their stance on the matter, as they're all either eager grunts signing up to be shipped out or aloof politicians, eager for more meat in the military grinder.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I say Don't worry youngling the military will kill all the monsters such that they won't take anyone ever again. Here, child have this and ease your hunger. The Medicine Man pulls a relatively fresh fish from his snake bely, and hands it to her before returning to his alloted room to wait for a reply.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Internally, Daemon rolled his eyes at the pompous bureaucrat; not only had he completely inflated once his ego had been stroked, he appeared to be letting some level of his bigotry into his military strategy. While Daemon did not exactly sympathise with the "leafbloods" as the man had called them, he knew that they were easily civilized enough that "Barbarian" was a completely unfitting term for them.

This man is going to underestimate his foe, be it sooner or later, and pay for it. Having no belief in your enemy is how foolish people die.

The corner or Daemon's mouth began to curl into a bemused grin at this thought, but he quickly beat it down for the sake of his facade of admiration.

"Yes, it never ceases to amaze how some individuals, despite their utter lack of knowledge, insist on pushing their ill-advised opinions on their betters. I'm sure you've had a great deal more experience interacting with these barbaric hordes than she could hope to understand..?"

Daemon dripped a liberal amount of faux curiosity into his expression, confident that the windbag couldn't resist crowing out some of his "experience with these barbaric hordes", which would serve as an excellent entry topic for the things he actually wanted to learn about the situation

(taking another 10 on diplomacy, if necessary)
    Last edited by questionmark; 2010-08-26 at 08:26 PM. Reason: unnescessary words

25. - Top - End - #55

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    She stares at the fish in confusion as you walk back to your quarters. Later that day, a plate with half a roasted fish and a quarter-loaf of bread comes sliding under your door, followed by the quick pattering of tiny footsteps running away.

@questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Of course I do! I get daily detailed reports of their activities on all sides of the city. How anyone could claim to lecture me on the matter is preposterous."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I smile to myself (despite my lack of a digestive track) acknowledging her kindness. I than slip the food into the smaller snake's head such that nobody will later notice it's presence.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

Daemon couldn't believe his luck. Not only was this man easy prey for his silver tongue, but if what he said was true, he seemed to be the single most potent repository of information in this meeting.

"You don't say! All sides? You mean even my friend Stavros and his excavation crew..no, its impossible to know that much."

Now the tone Daemon manufactured was hopeful disbelief, not strong enough to give the man the impression he actually strongly doubted him: if this man did know of Stavros and the area around his camp, than his crowing should give him at least a solid starting point to work from.
    Last edited by questionmark; 2010-08-29 at 11:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

@Drack
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are several other occasions throughout the day where the footsteps return and leave various gifts near your door.

OOC: Sorry for not giving you much to do, but I'm trying to keep everybody on the same timing and something important for the Medicine Man is happening elsewhere...

@Questionmark
    Spoiler
    Show
    "I'm afraid I'm not too familiar with everyone on the ground, at least not on our side. I deal more in enemy intel-" In through the doors comes a man in full plate, decorated with a good number of medals and holding a ragged piece of parchment in his hands. He gestures for Roth to follow and they both disappear further into the building.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Amaryllis sighs, sitting down in a nearby chair. People are idiots. They'd rather have someone else do the thinking for them. she thinks, shaking her head. There are many things that she needed to do, not the least of which was deciding whether or not to ship out with the soldiers and find out what the fey really were like.

Whether I like that man or not, Roth's idea has legitimacy, though likely not in the way he would expect. If I could find evidence that the fey are not barbarians, maybe the commoners would listen. At the very least, we would stop losing so many to their traps and schemes. The fey are not idiotic, if they can slay so many. Indeed, most of them are probably more intelligent than that bigot.

30. - Top - End - #60

@Ajadea
    Spoiler
    Show
    A man in full plate decorated with many medals strides in through the doors holding a ragged piece of parchment. He gestures for Roth to follow and they disappear further into the building.