New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Oh really? I guess it isn't much of a problem then.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #392
    Troll in the Playground

Meanwhile, Futae 2nd draft:

Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Meanwhile, Futae 2nd draft:

Spoiler
    Show
    Nice picture, but I can't help but think she hungers for souls.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Final Draft:

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by nothingclever View Post
    Nice picture, but I can't help but think she hungers for souls.
    That was sort of what I was going for, actually. I made her eyes wider than usual on purpose since one of Futae's most noticeable traits are her creepy, staring, piercing red eyes.

By the way, I'm reading over your proposed changes to Bliss Maker at the moment. I'll PM you a response soon.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Pixie in the Playground

Macarius Amann

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Macarius Amann
    Aliases: --
    Level: (3 or 4?)
    Groups: (None that I know of yet!)

Description:

Appearance: Macarius is a boy of average height for his age, though appears rather toned. He can often be found with a variety of bruises and scrapes, suggesting a less than peaceful nature. Untrusting hazel eyes glare out from beneath a mop of unruly ginger hair, which he occasionally pulls back in some semblance of a ponytail when it gets long enough. He might be a decent looking kid, if not for the rather unflattering scowl he tends to wear at all times.

His clothing is usually fairly plain, though definitely western in style; a mix of cargo pants, boots, and hoodies most often.

Personality: Macarius is blunt, abrupt, and generally rather surly. It seems at times that he purposefully tries to make himself unpleasant to be around should anyone try to stick around. While on his own he is fairly calm, quiet, and fairly mellow, an attitude seems to manifest itself the minute someone attempts to interact with him.
    This mindset however does make him an easy target for those who like to poke fun at others, as he tends to be easily provoked. It doesn’t take much to bring Macarius to violence either as a means of deterring further teasing, nor does he need much encouragement for a fight.

Abilities

Esper Ability: Tidal Wave

Macarius can, through the force of his AIM field control water in a similar manner as the Earth’s Moon. The power takes it one step further, by being able to manipulate waters viscosity, density and shape. This power is a willed ability, only functioning when Macarius wishes to utilize the power. The power requires an external source of water to manipulate most times, though Macarius can manipulate the water in his muscles* with a great deal of effort and energy. Larger sources of water, steam or ice require more energy from Macarius.

Examples:

Water walking- Macarius can alter the tension of the water so that he (and potentially others near him) can walk across a body of water as though it were a solid surface.
    Rain avoidance– Almost unconsciously, Macarius prevents rainfall from coming down directly on himself.
    Water shaping- Macarius can make shapes out of the water present, such as tendrils to shoot at people, or with more energy, a wall for defense.
    Water Sword- Macarius’s favoured shaping, he forces the water into the shape of a simple broad sword, using it as though it were a real cutting blade.
    *Muscle augmentation- Macarius can make his muscles denser, allowing him to hit harder. A punch he throws would be hard enough to be both noticeable and unusual for a boy of his age and stature, but not supernatural.

Physical Traits:
    Street Fighting
    Strong

Mental Traits:
    Quick Temper

Notable Equipment:
    A swiss-army knife
    Bottles of water
    Last edited by Da Mongoose; 2010-08-23 at 02:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ogre in the Playground

What, no hello? No "Hi, this seems like a really interesting thing happening here, I'd like to join?"

The character seems okay. The water... kinesis seems qutie interesting, but you'd have to wait for the people who are more knowledgeable when it comes to the world than I am.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    What, no hello? No "Hi, this seems like a really interesting thing happening here, I'd like to join?"
    Da Mongoose is a sister of Innis, and has talked to me, Innis, and others about joining this game and coming up with a character for some time. No need for alarm.

I'm afraid that I'll have to get to the character tomorrow, however.
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-23 at 02:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Da Mongoose is a close friend of Innis, and has talked to me, Innis, and others about joining this game and coming up with a character for some time. No need for alarm.
    Ah, okay. I wasn't really alarmed much, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    My sister :P Silly.
    You are the one who is silly!

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Firbolg in the Playground

It's a vast conspiracy against you Zersk. Tommorow your home will be transported to a more scenic local. Then the day after that, your room will be replaced with cotton candy. Then, you'll be whisked away to a parallel reality where your feet are made of burning coals.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Ogre in the Playground

My feet are already made of magma pigs though!

And my room technically has the same molecular structure as cotton candy. Not the same composition though.

Yeah, the architect went crazy halfway through building our house. Now, the faucet spills green televisions and an automaton of Ozzy Osbourne made out of Carved Antimony rides through Court and the Jelly Woods on a very crazy, yet awesome train.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Pixie in the Playground

Haha XD HELLO EVERYONE! Sorry, just wanted to get the character posted before more poking occurred! :p

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ogre in the Playground

Don't apologize, I'm just being crazy, thinking that the Mongoose hordes of Alberta finally found me.

Well, welcome anyway.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arkturus View Post
    How about shadow travel? Think it could work?
    Perhaps the destruction of photons create necessary energy for it to work (among other applications as well).

Yes I know that Vael said it would be bad, but I like to keep all options open (to somehow connect it to science and not magic).
    Could you explain why it would be bad?
    Despite the article 13 linked, I don't think Photons are actually destroyed so much as they are absorbed or simply change states. Still, given my only rudimentary knowledge of physics, I could be mistaken (but I doubt it).

That said, using destruction of photons to travel through shadow is completely incomprehensible. Theoretically, destroying photons to create shadow might possibly make sense, but I can't understand how destroying photons would ever translate to "and now I can jump around like a teleporter, especially to places where photons aren't."

14. - Top - End - #404
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
    Basically, to all foreigners, American food= burgers, fries, that sort of thing. Cheeseburger sound like a compromise?
    This is true, I have never seen grilled cheese on a McDonald's menu.

I don't come there that often, though.

That is the most insane music I have ever heard and seen.

And my favourite song has been accused of being about LSD so that says a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Despite the article 13 linked, I don't think Photons are actually destroyed so much as they are absorbed or simply change states. Still, given my only rudimentary knowledge of physics, I could be mistaken (but I doubt it).
    *Appears in a flash of lightning wearing a lab-coat*

According to what you would call 'the laws of physics' it is indeed impossible to destroy photons as well as anything else.

Only change is possible, matter to energy, energy to matter and I think plasma is in there somewhere too.

Of course, we never know if we are wrong. We thought we were right when we thought heat was matter after all.

*Cackles madly while disappearing in thin air*
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

For all practical purposes, "destroying photons" amounts to having a portable black sheet with you. You put it up and lo, no more photons! Unless a character can do that in a really vast scale (like blocking light over a whole city), it's at best a level 2 power.

As such, Arkturus, the power I propose to you, in science speak, is "controlling movement of photons by altering reflective quality of matter it moves through." If you're wondering what you could do with such power, take a look at optics.

To give you examples of what it could do, you could make air pitch-black, achieving the same result as "destroying photons". Alternatively, you could create a polarized lens that lets through none / only certain type of radiation, and reflects the rest back, creating a huge mirror. Alternatively, he could create an incorporeal magnifying lense. Or mirages. Or proably make himself invisible once he learns to create those really weird meta-material states that have negative reflectivity or something like that...

I'm against all forms of "shadow travel", as there really isn't any way you could justify such ability within framework of known physics. It's a magical ability through and through.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-08-23 at 08:42 AM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ettin in the Playground

For your consideration:

Spoiler
    Show

Name: Kiyoshi Jirou
    Aliases: None
    Level: 4
    Groups: None

Description:

Appearance: Simply put, Jirou looks like a troublemaker. Blessed with height but not beauty, strength but not finesse, he seems every bit the typical delinquent. His habitually messy hair and clothing go out of the way to reinforce this impression, suggesting that he either approves of or has given up trying to fight it. The real irony, though, is that despite all these menacing features...he really doesn't look all that intimidating. He's certainly big and strong, but he just doesn't have the presence to be truly menacing.

Personality: Jirou's attitude is at first glance hard to pin down, not least because Jirou himself isn't quite sure of it either. Sometimes he's loud and aggressive, challenging people to fights on the slightest pretence. Others he's subdued and seemingly indifferent, as if he's above all petty concerns. Still others he's just another background member of any social group that will take him.

The truth is that he's really none of those things; He's just confused. When his Esper abilities matured Jirou suddenly went from being an unregarded nobody into a moderately visible 'talent'. Now he wants more. Above all else he simply wants to be noticed and respected by those around him, but has no idea how to go about doing that. So instead he just flip-flops, alternately trying to be feared, admired or just accepted. Sometimes he even succeeds...for a little while.

Abilities:

Esper Ability: Dissolution

Jirou has the ability to disrupt the basic form of concrete matter. With only a slight effort he can cause objects to rapidly lose their form, converting them to an inert dustlike substance in a matter of seconds. Nonliving targets can be reliably affected within a range of about 250 feet, but living ones require direct physical contact with the affected area.

Dissolution can also be used defensively against incoming projectiles (including bullets), but only so long as Jirou is aware of the attack. Doing so prevents him from taking any other action while this is happening.

Physical Traits:

Strong: Jirou has above average physical strength.
    Judo: Since his Esper ability neutralises most ranged offence, Jirou has taken the time to become trained in close combat grappling. This has proved very useful, since casual brawls don't usually warrant the disintegration of people's flesh.

Mental Traits:

Language (English): Jirou has a decent (if accented) command of the english language.
    Mahjong skill: Jirou is surprisingly adept at playing Riichi Mahjong. He only got into the game because it was popular, but quickly developed a liking for it on its own merits. His strange waits and habit of disguising discards make his hands hard to read, as well as showing a subtlety which is unfortunately absent in his dealings outside the table.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-24 at 06:07 AM.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    For all practical purposes, "destroying photons" amounts to having a portable black sheet with you. You put it up and lo, no more photons! Unless a character can do that in a really vast scale (like blocking light over a whole city), it's at best a level 2 power.

As such, Arkturus, the power I propose to you, in science speak, is "controlling movement of photons by altering reflective quality of matter it moves through." If you're wondering what you could do with such power, take a look at optics.

To give you examples of what it could do, you could make air pitch-black, achieving the same result as "destroying photons". Alternatively, you could create a polarized lens that lets through none / only certain type of radiation, and reflects the rest back, creating a huge mirror. Alternatively, he could create an incorporeal magnifying lense. Or mirages. Or proably make himself invisible once he learns to create those really weird meta-material states that have negative reflectivity or something like that....

That power is awesome, I can't believe I've never thought of a character with mirror/darkness powers.

Oh well, I can alway steal it for next time
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post

That power is awesome, I can't believe I've never thought of a character with mirror/darkness powers.

Oh well, I can alway steal it for next time
    You know what the strange part is? I actually did think of having a guy with shadow powers for a bit. Then I thought it might be too close to magic.

I was wrong. God, I was wrong.

But yes, that character sounds really awesome Arkturus. Thumbs up to you!
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Troll in the Playground

That indeed does sound rather cool, though I'm wondering if this might overlap with Rin's powers a bit.

Also, shadow traveling sounds something more like magic, and there's absolutely no scientific basis for it, I'm afraid.

What say you, Arkturus?

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    For your consideration:

Spoiler
    Show

Name: Kiyoshi Jirou
    Aliases: None
    Level: 4
    Groups: None

Description:

Appearance: Simply put, Jirou looks like a troublemaker. Blessed with height but not beauty, strength but not finesse, he seems every bit the typical delinquent. His habitually messy hair and clothing go out of the way to reinforce this impression, suggesting that he either approves of or has given up trying to fight it. The real irony, though, is that despite all these menacing features...he really doesn't look all that intimidating. He's certainly big and strong, but he just doesn't have the presence to be truly menacing.

Personality: Jirou's attitude is at first glance hard to pin down, not least because Jirou himself isn't quite sure of it either. Sometimes he's loud and aggressive, challenging people to fights on the slightest pretence. Others he's subdued and seemingly indifferent, as if he's above all petty concerns. Still others he's just another background member of any social group that will take him.

The truth is that he's really none of those things; He's just confused. When his Esper abilities matured Jirou suddenly went from being an unregarded nobody into a moderately visible 'talent'. Now he wants more. Above all else he simply wants to be noticed and respected by those around him, but has no idea how to go about doing that. So instead he just flip-flops, alternately trying to be feared, admired or just accepted. Sometimes he even succeeds...for a little while.

Abilities:

Esper Ability: Dissolution

Jirou has the ability to break down the bonds which form concrete matter. With only a slight effort he can cause objects to rapidly disintegrate, reducing them to dust in a matter of seconds. Nonliving targets can be reliably affected within a range of about 100 feet, but living ones require direct physical contact with the affected area.

Dissolution can also be used defensively against incoming projectiles (including bullets), but only so long as Jirou is aware of the attack. Doing so prevents him from taking any other action while this is happening.

Physical Traits:

Strong: Jirou has above average physical strength.
    Judo: Since his Esper ability neutralises most ranged offence, Jirou has taken the time to become trained in close combat grappling. This has proved very useful, since casual brawls don't usually warrant the disintegration of people's flesh.

Mental Traits:

Language (English): Jirou has a decent (if accented) command of the english language.

Sounds good.

Does Dissolution also affect liquids and gasses? Or by "concrete" matter do you mean solids?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ettin in the Playground

That indeed does sound rather cool, though I'm wondering if this might overlap with Rin's powers a bit.
    It's control of light versus generation of light. While the proposed power could replicate some of Rin's abilities to small extent, it'd not render it useless.

In fact, the two powers would be most useful if used together.

EDIT: I think Dissolution should turn solid objects into liquid, and liquids into gas, rather than disintegrate stuff.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-08-23 at 12:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ettin in the Playground

Does Dissolution also affect liquids and gasses? Or by "concrete" matter do you mean solids?
    Yes, Dissolution can be used against both. It has no effect on things like fire or lightning, but water and air are easy enough.

EDIT: I think Dissolution should turn solid objects into liquid, and liquids into gas, rather than disintegrate stuff.
    Why?
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-23 at 12:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Ettin in the Playground

It breaks down molecular cohesion of subtances, right? Normally, that makes objects go from solid to liquid to gas. From a scientific point of view, solids, liquids and gasses all turning into solid dust is really bizarre.

EDIT: Also, if he could control his ability so that it doesn't just evaporate things, it'd have much more mundane utility than just disentigrating things. He could, for example, create exotic materials from steel that stays liquid in room temperature.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2010-08-23 at 01:31 PM.

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

It breaks down molecular cohesion of subtances, right? Normally, that makes objects go from solid to liquid to gas. From a scientific point of view, solids, liquids and gasses all turning into solid dust is really bizarre.
    Actually, I did somehow miss the "turns into dust" bit. I think that makes sense for certain solids, but I'm not certain if separating liquid/gas molecules turns them into dust (especially since gas particles are usually separated anyway, except for stuff like Oxygen).

Edit: Now that I'm actually awake ()...does Dissolution affect chemical compounds? For example, could he break down salt into Sodium and Chloride?
    Last edited by 13_CBS; 2010-08-23 at 01:32 PM.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is true, I have never seen grilled cheese on a McDonald's menu.

I don't come there that often, though.

*Appears in a flash of lightning wearing a lab-coat*

According to what you would call 'the laws of physics' it is indeed impossible to destroy photons as well as anything else.

Only change is possible, matter to energy, energy to matter and I think plasma is in there somewhere too.

Of course, we never know if we are wrong. We thought we were right when we thought heat was matter after all.

*Cackles madly while disappearing in thin air*
    McDonalds also isn't purely american. I wish they had grilled cheese though.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    McDonalds also isn't purely american. I wish they had grilled cheese though.
    It is here, the only other American restaurant around is Burger King but I haven't seen many of those and eaten at fewer.

I personally don't mind their lack of grilled cheese, the cheese in their burgers are bad enough in my taste.

then again, I regularly eat liver pate so it's not like I'm the one to talk about disgusting foods
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2010-08-23 at 01:39 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Firbolg in the Playground

How in the hell did the second song get through without a mention
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Barbarian in the Playground

It is here, the only other American restaurant around is Burger King but I haven't seen many of those and eaten at fewer.

I personally don't mind their lack of grilled cheese, the cheese in their burgers are bad enough in my taste.

then again, I regularly eat liver pate so it's not like I'm the one to talk about disgusting foods
    Eh, I meant that they're world wide. In japan I think they have a different menu, for example.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

28. - Top - End - #418
    Ettin in the Playground

Edit: Now that I'm actually awake ()...does Dissolution affect chemical compounds? For example, could he break down salt into Sodium and Chloride?
    While severing ionic bonds would count as dissolution within the dictionary definition of the word, it'd be a different phenomena from dissolving molecular cohesion.

That is, a power that breaks molecules to elements would be different from a power that breaks down cohesion of a substance.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

How in the hell did the second song get through without a mention
    I can only speak for myself but I honestly didn't find it very special.

It's depressing but I have heard plenty more depressing ones like in The Year 2525 and Ride The Lightning so it just doesn't stand out as much as the other one.

It didn't even have flashy pink stuff O_0
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Ettin in the Playground

I'll answer this one first because it's more pressing: No. He could destroy the compound as a whole, but his control isn't (and never will be) good enough to separate its components.

Actually, I did somehow miss the "turns into dust" bit. I think that makes sense for certain solids, but I'm not certain if separating liquid/gas molecules turns them into dust (especially since gas particles are usually separated anyway, except for stuff like Oxygen).

These are good points, but on reflection they might end up creating more problems than they solve. The first one which springs to mind is ironically a question of physics: Admittedly my knowledge on this subject is very limited, but I was under the impression that the transition between material states usually required a comparable infusion of energy. For instance, steel only becomes a liquid when heated to high temperatures. Likewise, once the additional energy is gone the material quickly reverts to its natural state. So (if that's the case), the altered Dissolution suddenly ceases to make very much sense; Unless it too works by superheating its targets, the new version breaks even more physical laws than the old one! Creating steel which is liquid at room temperature is quite an achievement, even if it reverts to a solid puddle afterwards.

The main problem, though, seems to be one of game balance. Dissolution is already a powerful ability with broad focus; Do we really want to boost its potency even more? Just off the top of my head I can think of at least half a dozen useful/deadly applications that this new version has over the old one. The added drawbacks definitely don't outweigh the benefits here.

That said, I'm perfectly happy to make the change if it's still desired; If the community doesn't mind the power boost then igniting petroleum smokescreens and drowning people in floors would certainly be fun...
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-23 at 02:15 PM.