New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail] Academy City OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Hey guys. I don't have the time to do a thorough examination of this at the moment since I'm resettling into college, although I do have time to play if I get the chance. Which leads to my question. The way I understand it, these kids have powers, correct? Now, are they born with these powers or do they just pop up without warning like puberty and zits? Because I was wondering if I could create a young fresh middle schooler who just suddenly discovered his power and was suddenly transfered to wherever super power kids go to.

Anyways, that's what I'm trying to find out if I could do that, given what little understanding I have of this. Is that alright with everyone?
    Actually, I think it's explained in the story that you have to go through a process to awaken your powers.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Actually, I think it's explained in the story that you have to go through a process to awaken your powers.
    Ah, see its that kind of thing I wasn't able to research on my own. Still, is there some way to have a character be completely new to what's going on? That way I could learn with my character.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ogre in the Playground

New student, maybe?

Well, there are Gemstones, which I think are supposed to be people who were born with their powers or something, but I'm probably wrong and somebody that know more about the setting will probably correct me.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #454
    Ettin in the Playground

Sure! What about a transfer student (first year, of course) new to the city and fresh out of the Power Curriculum Program?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Sure! What about a transfer student (first year, of course) new to the city and fresh out of the Power Curriculum Program?
    Alright, so what type of knowledge does that entail exactly? And what should he have and know background wise? Would he even know about powers, or would he not know about that and he just suddenly "Drops in on it"?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm asking alot of questions.)

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so what type of knowledge does that entail exactly? And what should he have and know background wise? Would he even know about powers, or would he not know about that and he just suddenly "Drops in on it"?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm asking alot of questions.)
    Well if he's new to the city then he probably wouldn't know a lot of the terms or organizations within the city. Heck, the cleaning robots might give him a jolt depending on how new he is. That said, people go INTO the program after discovering they have power potential and come OUT with the capability to use it.

As for what he'd have..well...Espers are all different in that regard.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #457
    Pixie in the Playground

Academy City is famous for producing people with abilities (as well as advanced technology). Therefore it is not strange that people would be attracted by the prospect of gaining an ability. For some it works out, for others it doesn't. Life threatening or stressful situations can bring about the birth of an ability.

@Silverraptor, hope this helps.
    Because it is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nekutar made by Terry576.

8. - Top - End - #458
    Halfling in the Playground

Second draft time!

Name: Rose Waterpool
    Aliases: I'll think of some
    Level: ?
    Groups:

Appearance: Rose is average height for her age. She has dark brown hair (long but usually kept in a tight bun on he back of her head) and brown eyes.

Personality: Rose is... eccentric... to say the least. It is speculated that she is more interested in holding a conversation with her toaster than with an actual person. It is also said that her current love interest is a fancy new cappuccino machine at a popular cafe. She is a known steampunk addict and her abilities tend to reflect this in their application.

Abilities

Esper Ability: "Macchina Affinità" Her name for it. Machine Affinity. Simply put, she has the ability to instantly understand the working of and deconstruct mechanical devices then reconstruct them in new and sometimes seemingly impossible ways. More interestingly, she is often able to do this without actually touching the machines she is working on. That is, she possesses a telekinetic ability in which she can swiftly deconstruct machinery around her and build new devices using only her mind to do the physical work. Her obsession with steampunk often reflects itself in how her ability manifest, giving the devices she builds an artistic flare that echoes this love of fantasy on her part.

Additional Uses:

Rose utilizes her abilities in two general ways. The first is device construction. She can build an astounding array of devices to accomplish whatever task presents itself.

The other way she uses it is a bit rarer and only utilized when she absolutely needs it. Body Gears. Also her term. She rapidly deconstructs machines and non-machine components from her surroundings and reassembles them into a set of power armor around her body. A very draining technique, Body Gears is reserved only in situations where fighting is unavoidable and the need for survival outweighs the cost of paying to repair the structures she pulls apart to build the armor with. The armor can be constructed to suit whatever her immediate needs are, often focusing on only one aspect at a time. She currently possesses two models: Speed and Strength.

Speed: This armor is light and compact, with elongated, reverse jointed legs and sleet design. It is built to increase her speed and agility, allowing her to dodge attacks, catch fast foes, or run away very very well.

Strength: Build tough and and heavy, Strength is what she uses to deliver punishing attacks against her targets. This armor is massive and can take a lot of punishment, protecting her inside while she retaliates with powerful punches. It is slow, however, and not very maneuverable.

Physical Traits:

-Jujutsu: Rose trains rather intensively in martial arts, which comes in handy when she constructs her suits and puts them into use.

Mental Traits: Rose is a fast thinker and has a high aptitude for machines and technology. She is not very good at social interactions, though.

Notable Equipment:

Background:
    Rose is a foreigner, hailing from England originally. I'll come up with more later.

I was thinking, it might be fun to have her not a part of any particular group at the start, but let people try to recruit her as things go along.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

9. - Top - End - #459
    Firbolg in the Playground

I still like the character. Not that I actually have to vote on characters this time around. Might I also add that I'm really glad you've joined us Purple and Anyr. And also welcome to the new players who I might have missed while I am taking my forced break courtesy of 13.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

10. - Top - End - #460
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, I've now made the (hopefully) final touches to my character sheet. The main one is that Dissolution now converts matter into a dustlike substance instead of disintegrating it. The range has also been increased to 250 feet, since that's apparently the standard for this level of ability.

Oh, and he plays Mahjong now.

11. - Top - End - #461
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I think I've got a quote that shows Cici's character a bit.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
    -Old Saying

Pfft. Screw that!
    -Cici

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

@Anyr: Mahjong, eh? Maybe he could participate in illegal Skill Out gambling to get some quick cash somewhere down the road? XD

@Arkturus: Causing skin cancer is perhaps the most far-fetched way you could use that ability for. XD It might be more useful to note he can cause sunburns, as that's the immediate effect focusing UV light on someone does.

@Purple Rose: I think we need to know a bit of how strong Rose's telekinesis is to give a rough estimate of her level - how far does it reach and how strong structures can it pull apart?

Also, she'd better learn how patent rights work before someone steal her armor design! Also, she could make pocket money by repairing antique clocks.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

13. - Top - End - #463

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    @Purple Rose: I think we need to know a bit of how strong Rose's telekinesis is to give a rough estimate of her level - how far does it reach and how strong structures can it pull apart?

Also, she'd better learn how patent rights work before someone steal her armor design! Also, she could make pocket money by repairing antique clocks.
    It can reach... Well... I would assume it would need to be very close range to really be effective... 30 feet? As for how strong... It can pull apart anything not plot protected and not structurally important.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature.

NarutoITP characters:
    Yasuko/N13/Neko
    Bleach Reborn characters:
    All of 'em

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ettin in the Playground

Then I'd say she's level 4 - and a good ways towards 5. The telekinesis side of her abilities would probably warrant level 3 alone, yet she can also build things that are (from our perspective, not necessarily the setting's) ahead of current technology. Considering how complicated a power armor is, she could pretty much build any modern mechanical gadget if just given enough spare parts.

15. - Top - End - #465
    Pixie in the Playground

Rose's ability reminds me of how Dr. Manhattan builds stuff.
    Because it is awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show

Nekutar made by Terry576.

16. - Top - End - #466
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Oh, I think I've got a quote that shows Cici's character a bit.

Don't fix what isn't broken.
    -Old Saying

Pfft. Screw that!
    -Cici
    If it ain't broke.. You need more software!
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. My attempt at making the tranfer student.

Name: Jason Williams
    Height: 5' 1"
    Weight: 118 lb
    Level: ?
    Groups: ?
    Aliases: ?

Appearance: Jason is an average looking boy. He has brown hair that could do with a haircut soon. He has brown eyes with some fragments of green in them as well.

Personality: Jason is very curious about the world he lives in. Sometimes, he thinks about the physics and laws of how things work in the real world. Some may think of him as lazy since he is very rarely seen doing any sort of school work. However, he is able to perform exceptionally well and has recieved very high grades.

He likes to play any sport for fun, but doesn't like to join the school teams since the practice drills are anything but fun for him. He also is an excellent video game player, able to get the hang of a game almost immediately after he sits down to plays it.

He is friendly and kind, yet hasn't been able to get any friends from where he once lived in California. The place he moved to could be different...

History: Jason lived in California all his life. His mother is a brilliant scientist while his dad is a police officer. He picked up some basic martial arts from his dad since his father believes in the value of all people being able to protect themselves.

Recently, his mother's reputation spread throughout the scientific community and a job offering was given to her. The pay increase was greatly more significant and so she packed up the family and moved to Academy City.

Physical Traits: Jason has pretty good stamina and strength, which he uses for mainly sports. His speed and reaction time comes from basic martial arts training and lots of video games.

Mental Traits: Jason is highly intellegent with a good memory. He also speaks english very fluently, though may stutter in japanese here and there.
    Let me know if there's anything I need to change or add. Another quick question, even though were typing everything out in english, is it presumed that everyone is speaking in japanese?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-08-25 at 12:57 AM.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Ogre in the Playground

Let me know if there's anything I need to change or add. Another quick question, even though were typing everything out in english, is it presumed that everyone is speaking in japanese?
    Yes, I think so, considering some characters have understanding English as one of their traits.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #469
    Ettin in the Playground

Well his physical/mental traits (if any) would be helpful. And you are correct. In another role-play, whenever character's were actually speaking english, they'd put [text in english] or something to point out to people that what was said wasn't in Japanese.

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Well his physical/mental traits (if any) would be helpful. And you are correct. In another role-play, whenever character's were actually speaking english, they'd put [text in english] or something to point out to people that what was said wasn't in Japanese.
    Alright, so I'll go back and put in the mental and physical traits in. And he may have a power and be unaware of it in the future of course. When I understand everything more, then I'll think of a power for him.

Edit: And done. So what do you guys think of him? And At what time of the day and place is the IC at right now?
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-08-25 at 12:58 AM.

21. - Top - End - #471
    Titan in the Playground

Present for ya, Shades.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #472
    Ettin in the Playground

Time of day is late afternoon, school has just ended an hour or so ago. It's early winter, there's frost and some snow on the streets. Most students are in Kadokado Cafe or Hongakuteki Nihon Ryouri.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I made my post of Jason arriving into Academy City (I hope I did it alright). Anyways, I'm trying to move it along a bit towards the next day since Jason will only meet people in school when he starts the next day. Is there anything I need to know to describe while he's there (apart from the robotic trash sweepers) or what the school looks like and what to expect? Remember, Jason and his family doesn't even suspect anything of powers or the like. They're just moving there because his mother has recieved a career opportunity.

Also, if you could put a link to the IC and Character registry thread in the OP, that would be helpful.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

...Remember, Jason and his family doesn't even suspect anything of powers or the like. They're just moving there because his mother has recieved a career opportunity.
    Total ignorance of the existence of powers isn't really an option here. Academy City was built solely to explore the mechanics of Espers and their abilities; Its entire structure and system of government revolves around that objective. Any family moving there would at least have some knowledge of Espers, even if they're not familiar with the specifics.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-08-25 at 11:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #475
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I made my post of Jason arriving into Academy City (I hope I did it alright). Anyways, I'm trying to move it along a bit towards the next day since Jason will only meet people in school when he starts the next day. Is there anything I need to know to describe while he's there (apart from the robotic trash sweepers) or what the school looks like and what to expect? Remember, Jason and his family doesn't even suspect anything of powers or the like. They're just moving there because his mother has recieved a career opportunity.

Also, if you could put a link to the IC and Character registry thread in the OP, that would be helpful.
    What Anyr said, and also there isn't a character registry thread, just the wiki to put your character on. No worries, very simplified process to do.

Also, it occurs to me, that your character would barely be in middleschool at his age. Don't know if that was your intent or not, but I'm pointing it out in case you didn't intend for that to be the case.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Titan in the Playground

Okay, so he's heard about espers from his mother, but doesn't quite believe it yet. Also, I did intend for him to be in middle school, but in the last year of it. Where I'm from, 13 year olds are generally in 8th grade, which is the last year for middle school. Then 9-12 is the grades in high school. Is that not the case in Academy City?

27. - Top - End - #477

Academy City is in Japan, so it may use the Japanese school system...although in the manga, the 'Railgun' was referred to as a '7th grader', which leads me to believe it uses the American system.
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, so he's heard about espers from his mother, but doesn't quite believe it yet. Also, I did intend for him to be in middle school, but in the last year of it. Where I'm from, 13 year olds are generally in 8th grade, which is the last year for middle school. Then 9-12 is the grades in high school. Is that not the case in Academy City?
    This is slightly more likely, but it still seems a little at odds with his character as presented. According to the sheet he's supposed to be a highly intelligent boy with strong curiosity about the world and excellent grades. If that's the case, why wouldn't he believe in Espers? Their existence is common knowledge and is most likely taught as part of the regular school curriculum. Also, if his love of physics is as strong as his sheet says, the idea that he's never studied the world's most renowned reality benders is rather hard to believe.

Sorry if this makes things difficult for you, but the fact is that Espers are an established part of the IC world; They're not the sort of thing that people can avoid hearing about for long.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Wolf View Post
    Academy City is in Japan, so it may use the Japanese school system...although in the manga, the 'Railgun' was referred to as a '7th grader', which leads me to believe it uses the American system.
    I never heard that actually. o.o I was assuming the Japanese school system as well which is 13-15 years old is middle school while 16-18 is High school...I think.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Ogre in the Playground

That may have just been the translators finding an equivalent, though.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show