New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [RailgunITP] OOC I : Biribiri.

Best way to think of it would be "reroll last die". So if Takeshi pulls really bad hand in poker, he can shift reality a little to resemble a world where the deck was shuffled differently, and gave him good cards.

As an aside, how old people go to Onizuka Middle school? XD
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    As an aside, how old people go to Onizuka Middle school? XD
    AFAIK, Japanese Middle School seems to be the American equivalent of 7th grade to 9th grade. (I don't know what this is in Finnish schools, unfortunately. ) After that, it's 3 years of high school until college.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Wait, wouldn't Takeshi's powers have possibly dangerous effects on spacetime?

EDIT: Of course the many-worlds theory is more stable when it comes to these kinds of things than the single-world theory.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-12 at 06:48 PM.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    AFAIK, Japanese Middle School seems to be the American equivalent of 7th grade to 9th grade. (I don't know what this is in Finnish schools, unfortunately. ) After that, it's 3 years of high school until college.
    13 to 15 years old, then? Did I guess right?
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

No, because that'd get loopy and because yes, the Infinite Worlds Theory has it so there is some level of barrier precived by what ever exists to view it keeping them all seperate. Takeshi merely exists on that point. In other words Schrödinger's cat applies here.

But FF has the most boiled down version of all of it. It's super luck. At it's basest form.

Edit: He will also be a Gemstone.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2010-08-12 at 06:57 PM.
    My Current Works

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Also I'm pretty sure you're GLaDoS now.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    13 to 15 years old, then? Did I guess right?
    Pretty much.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    In other words Schrödinger's cat applies here.
    "Somewhere Niels Bohr walks among us, unobserved and IMMORTAL."
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-12 at 06:54 PM.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Here's my character idea: Harada Rin, a recent transfer to Tokiwadai. Her extraordinary ability was discovered within the last year, and only for the upcoming year has she transferred to Tokiwadai from her home, at the insistence (and possible bribery of her parents) of Academy City.

As a consequence, she is widely known of, but little is known of her besides her ability and the fact that she is from a wealthy family.

Spoiler
    Show
    Name: 原田 凛 Harada Rin
    Aliases: None
    Level: 5
    Groups: Tokiwadai Middle School

Description

Appearance:

White haired and skinned, and possessed of violet eyes, Rin is resistant to sunlight because of her powers. Though melanin is not absent in her body, she does not have a need for it- thus, color is only barely present in her appearance. Along with this oddity, Rin has delicate and refined features which were only emphasized in her wealthy and sheltered upbringing.

Slender and tall, but lacking in weight (and thus significant curves), Rin's aloof and aristocratic appearance is further augmented by expensive but subdued clothing and a perfect posture. She seems untouchable and elegant, a perfect example of Tokiwadai.

Personality:

At least... until you get to know her. Rin's appearance contrasts her personality almost completely. Curious, cheerful, and friendly, Rin seems like she'd be more at home in a playground than the home she came from. She displays numerous vestiges of her wealthy life, mostly in terms of ignorance of how things really work and how to do things on her own, but is eager to learn and perform even the most tedious chores with a rather excessive vigor.

Someone will very quickly learn that Rin is extremely sheltered and fairly naive, but this manifests in curiosity and unshakable optimism rather than timidity and fear. This is perhaps explained by the confidence her astounding level of power lends her.

Innocent, and kind and generous to a fault, Rin is more likely to get in trouble by someone taking advantage of her or through her own curiosity than intentional trouble making or mischief. No matter what she's doing, it's quite likely that Rin means no harm- and if she is getting something wrong, it's probably a terrible misunderstanding on her part.

Still, though she might be a little tiring or even annoying, the core of Rin's personality is selfless and confident. When it matters, Rin will direct her boundless energy, optimism, and powers to accomplish whatever needs to be done to help everyone around her.

Abilities

Esper Ability: Radiance Genesis

Radiance Genesis is the ability Rin possesses to manipulate light emitting properties in regards to herself. In simpler terms, this grants her the ability to generate vast quantities of light from her body in many varying ways. The distinction is made in that she can alter such properties that she already has- the simplest way this manifests is that Rin can cease emitting the infrared light that naturally accompanies body heat. However, as of yet nothing but her ability to raise her light generating capabilities has proven useful, for obvious reasons.

As suiting someone of her level, Rin has few limits on the way her power can manifest. She can emit light from all portions of her body and from her AIM field (thus allowing her to generate light a very short distance away from her body) in all directions at once, in multiple select directions, or single directions, anything from massive beams to incredibly thin rays. She may emit wavelengths that range anywhere between Infrared to Ultraviolet, and of intensities between imperceptible to light potent enough to vaporize metal. More impressive, Rin can combine these factors, allowing her to generate multiple lights of varying colors and intensities.

While the most obvious use of such powers is offensive, the research of Rin and Academy city have been directed towards identifying other uses of her power, and she has slowly gathered a suite of smaller abilities that her light generating powers allow her. Despite this, most know her for the devastating power that Radiance Genesis holds.

Additional Uses: Rin's body and AIM field also display a one way resistance to her own powers and similar effects, allowing her to manifest even the strongest rays without harm to herself or her clothing. Further, by distorting the form of this resistance, Rin has found herself capable of creating lasers- though impressive, there is little practical reason for her to do so, given the intensity of light she can already create. Using the natural properties of UV light, Rin can also detect varying substances (most interesting being bodily fluids such as blood). Lastly, her resistance is sensitive enough that she can identify light that touches her field- giving her the capability to 'see' Infrared and Ultraviolet light as well as normal wavelengths, as well as distinguish minute qualities about them (such as approximate wavelength). Among other things, this gives her a semi-effective form of heat vision, and more amusingly, allows her to identify the patterns of infrared remotes and replicate them with a bit of time and experimenting.

It is theorized that with her abilities, Rin could replicate the effects of an EMP- but as she cannot create Gamma Rays, the required output of light would be massive. Thus, the heat produced by such an attempt would be too destructive to make the small effect she could produce worthwhile.

Physical Traits:
    -Totally weak! Don't expect Rin to pick up much more than a pillow. If you ask her to though, she'll definitely give it her best shot, as amusingly pathetic as it'll be.
    -Poor vision! Probably due to her lack of melanin, Rin has slightly below average vision. She doesn't technically need glasses, but will often have to squint at things further away from her. She's too embarrassed to admit this though; luckily it doesn't really cause her many problems due to it being so minor.
    -Needles! She may not be strong or the best sight, but Rin knows how to use a needle. Embroidery, sewing- she can do it all, and quicker than anyone else, too. Just one of few skills she picked up so she could be a 'proper' lady. Ironically, she uses it mostly to make silly and cheery pictures.

Mental Traits:
    -Boundless Optimism! It's very hard to get Rin to give up hope on even insignificant matters. It's much better to just distract her with something interesting or shiny. In more serious matters, Rin won't ever lose her hope and confidence- she'll give even the fight against overwhelming odds her best shot.
    -Polyglot! She may not know how to prepare food or even wash clothing without ordering a maid to do it for her, but Rin knows an impressive list of languages for someone her age: Japanese, English, Spanish, German, and French. Apparently she showed an enthusiasm and aptitude for learning other languages, and her parents thereafter paid for an extraordinary number of tutors to teach her in her spare time.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-08-13 at 07:34 AM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see any problem with Rin as she's stated, or the fact she's a Level 5. Anyone else?
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Looks fine to me.

Whoever's playing the villain's gonna have a tough time beating her, though.

11. - Top - End - #71

I don't mind Rin, it seems that she won't go around killing 20,000 clones of another level 5, so it's balanced.

Anyway, a banner is made.
    Last edited by Shades of Gray; 2010-08-12 at 10:21 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

The 4 characters I'll be playing (all of them have already been approved by Callos, but feel free to protest/criticize them as necessary):

Satoku Masaki, Onizuka Middle School AIM Field Sciences teacher

Yoshikawa Hitomi, owner of Pâtisserie Joyeux

Yoshikawa Futae, owner of Kadokado Café

Yoshikawa Sanin, owner of Hongakuteki Nihon Ryouri

Of the 4, only Masaki is of any real importance. The other 3 are around so that I can DM the 3 hang out spots (and by "DM" I mean "RP the dull, boring jobs like waiters, waitresses, drink mixers, etc.").

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, I finished the twins. Of course, I still need to work on their Backstory, but how are they right now?

Name: Sato Catarino and Sato Cici
    Aliases: Fire and Ice Twins
    Level: Both Level 3
    Groups: Don't know yet.

Description

Appearance: The two are Romani-Japanese. Physically, the Twins are nearly the same. They both have brown skin, dark hair, and hazel eyes. They're both tall and thin, being around 5' 6". Catarino has a cut across arm, unkempt hair and a tattoo of a falcon talon mark on his chest. Cici has circles around her eyes, and straight, neck-length hair. The big difference are in how they dress and act.
    Catarino, when not wearing his school uniform, doesn't wear a shirt at all. He'll wear a pair of pants, if only because people don't seem to care for half-naked teenagers in the middle of the street. He wears a black feather necklace over his neck. He'll walk around with a crouching, feral gait. Cici, when not wearing her school uniform, wears a t-shirt, and jeans, and a pair of shoes. She has a necklace of a wrench around her neck. She has a laid-back posture.

Personality: Catarino and Cici are opposites when it comes to this. Catarino is wild on the outside, seemingly unpredictable, and prone to growling, but calm on the inside. Cici is seemingly laidback and calm on the outside, but prone to RAEG and outbursts. Catarino follows a form of honour, putting that higher then logic. He treats it higher than reason. Cici is the opposite; she puts logic and reason above Catarino's bestial form of honour. Of course, that doesn't mean that, say, Catarino is illogical and that Cici is unhonourable. If the logical choice seems better, Catarino will follow that. With Cici, if someone does something that she finds outright wrong, she'll go against it, even if it's illogical.
    Socially, Cici is the winner in that regard, if only because Catarino is either ignorant, or apathetic about social mores and rules. He'll follow them to an extent, but he will, say, intrude on someone's personal space. Cici isn't the most charismatic person in the world, but she does know enough not to get odd looks or to get teased too much.
    Their interests are obvious; Catarino is interested in nature and wildlife, such as Biology, and Animal Psychology. Cici is interested in Information Sciences, and multiple forms of Engineering.
    Abilities

Catarino's Esper Ability: Animal Empathy (Falcon)

Catarino has the ability to communicate with and command the genus known as Falcons. At Level 3 he can control up to twenty falcons within a ten mile radius around him to do anything but explicitly kill themselves. He can also communicate at the level of a fluent foreigner with them. With this, he can use the falcons to fight with him, or to scout for him.

Additional Uses: Can't think of any.

Cici's Esper Ability: Technokinesis

Cici has the ability to reprogram and control electronics. She does this by turning individual electric charges on or off, into a 1 or a 0. At Level 3, she is able to quickly reprogram a single program; that is, a game mod would be a piece of cake for her. An early 2000s computer would be more challenging. Simple robots are the limit for her.

Additional Uses: Because her ability uses small electric charges, she is able to form static electricity and make a sort of 'climbing material' on walls.

Catarino's Physical Traits:
    -Parkour: "The urban jungle is almost the same as the natural jungle, so why not learn to move quickly in there?" Catarino uses this reason to justify him knowing Parkour. He's been a practitioner for quite a few years, and takes the Philosophy of it to heart.
    -Fights Like a Beast: In Physical fights, Catarino can be strong and ruthless, like a beast. He's quite a good fighter, and can't be taken down easily.
    -Survivalist: Catarino can survive in places that the average person couldn't without extra baggage. He can drink lakewater without getting sick, can fight off bugs and disease, and is a sort of extreme omnivore.

Cici's Physical Traits:
    -Weak: She spends most of her time with electronics, so she isn't in the best of shape. She gets some excercise, but that's only because of her brother, most likely.
    -Dextrous: Cici is quite dextrous, being able to handle minute objects and delicate electronics with ease.

Catarino's Mental Traits:
    -Learning Ainu and Romani: Interestingly, Catarino is learning the Ainu language and the Romani language. He's at a student level at both.
    -Interest in Nature Sciences: Catarino is quite interested in this.
    Cici's Mental Traits:
    -Skill at Programming: Cici is a master at this kind of thing. She can program in C++, Python, PERL, and so on. She can even program behaviour into robots a bit.
    -Sharp: Cici has quite sharp skills and may notice things that many wouldn't.
    Catarino's Notable Equipment:
    -Blade: Catarino always carries a dagger around in his pocket, just in case he needs it.
    -Bird Feed: Catarino always carries some bird food in his pocket-- whether to feed falcons, or to munch on as a snack (yes he eats bird food sometimes).

Cici's Notable Equipment:
    -Screwdriver: Cici carries around a screwdriver when she needs it to fix something, or to break it. Also doubles as a hand weapon when needed.
    -Pendant: Always carries around a pendant with her, around her neck.
    So how does it look?
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-08-13 at 02:55 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Bugbear in the Playground

Finished mine. Hisagi Tsukiri, he controls lightning.

And I can't find any source that does from google and the manga I don't want to read.

Name: Tsukiri Hisagi
    Aliases: Lightning
    Level: 3
    Groups: Azabu Academy, Judgement.

Description
    Spoiler
    Show

Appearance:

Hisagi has blue eyes and brown messy hair, with a large gouge of white across the left side. He's fairly tall, about 5'10", and usually is found wearing the school uniform, or some form of casual dress, such as jeans and a black turtleneck. His main defining trait is a large scar across the middle of his face, which he refuses to talk about.

Personality:

Hisagi practices the "I don't give a damn" philosophy of living, where he insults half the people he meets, ignores the other forty-nine percent, and the one percent who get close to him discover he's actually quite kind. Hisagi's incredibly loyal to his close friends, and doesn't really allow others to mess with them. He gets to mess with them all he wants though. Strangely, only his friends really refer to him as Lightning, whereas acquaintances either call him Tsukiri or Hisagi.
    Abilities

Esper Ability: Lightning Blade.

Hisagi controls lightning, allowing him to summon it from his hands, toss it at people, and give people slight electric shocks. A breakdown is in the spoiler:

Spoiler
    Show

Level One: Mild electric shocks, like if you do that whole rub your socks on the carpet. Slight resistance to heat, Boiling Water.

Level Two: Can create lightning up to two feet long, but it dissipates once it leaves his hand or touches someone.

Level Three: Current level. Can create small lightning bolts up to five feet to use, and create them approximately ten feet away. Moderate resistance to heat, up to Open Fire.

Level Four: Massive control over lightning. Can create lightning within a fifteen foot radius, and manipulate it to a great extent.

Level Five: Can create Pseudo-Lightning, which is pretty much like real lightning, only summoned. Massive resistance to heat, up to a thousand degrees.

Additional Uses: Hisagi's AIM field makes him incredibly resistent to heat, but only around the parts of his body that he can summon lightning with: his arms and hands. So if he was burned, it would hurt most of his body, but not his arms and hands, which is the most important part of his ability. In addition, he can easily fry electric locks, but he's a horrible person when it comes to anything more complex then five circuits at his current level.

Physical Traits:
    -Slender Physique: Hisagi, while not exactly scrawny, is lighter and leaner then the average fifteen year old. Strangely, he manages to pass it off, probably thanks to his ability.
    -Weird Eyes: Hisagi's eyes are Electric blue, and I literally mean electric blue. As in, there's something that's like electricity sparking inside his eyes.
    -Fashion Crazed: Hisagi's fashion tastes are strangely consistently up to date, sometimes ahead of fashion. One day he'll be wearing a Zoot suit, the next he could be wearing ripped jeans and a barely fitting shirt with a pink skull on it.

And some lightstick wristbands.

Mental Traits:
    -Rampant Apathy: Hisagi's way of showing he cares is by not caring. While this sounds like a way of being a massive prick, the more he cares, the less likely he is to insult you.

-Snarky Bastard: Hisagi prefers to insult practically everyone he speaks to, with no preference, to race, gender, sexual identity, esper, magician, or one without abilities. He's kind of a cruel dude.

Social Butterfly: At 90% of the parties involving the surrounding schools, Hisagi somehow shows up, even though he only knows about thirty people at each school, and is friendly with about ten of each of those.

Stress Smoker: In order to deal with the stress of the Academy, Hisagi smokes. He's well aware that it's bad for him, and his friends have given up on trying to stop him, as he'll freely admit that he shouldn't, and says he always stops once the stress levels go down.
    Feel free to comment.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-08-13 at 03:52 AM.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

@ Zersk and Terry: both look fine. (I must say, though, I get the feeling that Tsukiri gets into a lot of trouble with the teachers at Azabu >.>)

16. - Top - End - #76

@ Zersk and Terry: both look fine. (I must say, though, I get the feeling that Tsukiri gets into a lot of trouble with the teachers at Azabu >.>)
    Really! You got that?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WAS GOING FOR!

Hisagi's history:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hisagi's part of the more prestigious part of the Academy, as his parents are talented musicians. He himself plays the violin excellently, and everyone thinks that he'll join his parents once he leaves the academy. But, Hisagi doesn't enjoy traveling, and he hates how much his parents do. Strangely, at a young age, Hisagi became close friends with someone who now attends Tokiwadai, and the two often are found walking around together after hours. Hisagi is also close friends with several of the poorer children who live in the School Garden, and scorns the company of most of the richer boys, accusing them of being snobbish prats, and loathes them generally.

The position of his close friend is free.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-08-13 at 04:18 AM.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Name: 金槌 勝規 Kanazuchi Kazumi
    Ability Name: [Enduring Bastion]

Appearance: A modest, average height junior high school student, often Kazumi wears her hair in a ponytail. Sometimes she does not wear her hair in a ponytail, but if she is to fight, she will always pull it back. Dressed in the school uniform of that famous school, when not, she wears functional clothes that is easy to move in. Of course she likes fashionable things, but unfortunately those often it seems are destroyed too easily in a fight. She often has a bandage somewhere too. Maybe it moves to a different place every week.

Personality: A strong-headed girl, Kazumi is the person who will never betray her beliefs or her friends. She is the kind of person you either love as a friend, or hate and think annoying as a rival. Though she is normally fairly relaxed, when she gets excited or angry, she is difficult to stop (even for herself). With this kind of explosive personality, she has many bad nicknames - though people don't say these to her face. She is an 'temper-head' girl who is well used to fights. Still, she does act like a fairly normal junior high school student (she just 'seems to be drawn into fights often'). She has a strange reputation because she is admired for standing up for weaker students, but maybe she is not a model 'princess' of Tokiwadai. It is rumored she has to attend extra lessons on correct behavior as a punishment often. She likes red things.

Abililty & Level: [Enduring Bastion] Level 4

Description:
    [Enduring Bastion] is a defensive skill that is something of a forcefield and endurance booster. At the highest levels, a person might be able to be hit many times by such things as bullets easily, with no mark or bleeding. But it is much more effective against blunt or physical objects (instead of say, electricity or fire). Still, feelings of things like pain and exhaustion are much much slower for this person, which may let them do things that are insane, like keep fighting with a broken arm, or when burned.
    Kazumi earned her first nickname when she jumped off of a bridge to stop a criminal who was being chased by Judgment below. She was uninjured. She also holds a school record in the marathon running because she does not become tired easily. In last year's City Sports Festival she was undefeated in the marathon races.

Weakness:
    [Enduring Bastion] has a few drawbacks- Kazumi doesn't sleep very well because 'she is not tired.' Maybe if you see her 'sleeping,' she is a fake. Because she can still be injured and not notice the pain, she can push her body beyond what it can do - but certainly in the end she will be in the hospital with a certain frog face doctor.
    Though the ability allows her to stop many attacks with her body (like a shield), kinetic energy will still come (if she is hit by a car, likely the car will not stop. But she will move. If she is punched, there is still force though maybe it will not bruise or feel pain).
    The big drawback maybe is a feeling of 'invincible.' But it is surely not that case. To think so is dangerous, for such a person. But it is also necessary, because her [Personal Reality] is such a 'I cannot be stopped!' expression.

Explain?:
    It is a manipulation of AIM field on the skin to increase toughness. So it is like being covered in steel maybe, or to think a barrier covers the skin and surrounds the nerves. Being partly a forcefield power, but mostly endurance, it is more of an 'internal' power based of [Personal Reality]. The more determined and confident she is, the harder it is to stop her (and for her to stop herself). The opposite, of being not-confident in self hurts her ability.

Other Information:

月華拳 Gekkaken
    The legendary 'technique' of Kazumi, it is a name in rumors by other students (she doesn't call it of course by such a name). She punches with vicious force. Maybe because she doesn't care if she injures her hand. Certainly she is a 'melee fighter.'
    Kasanip's Sketchbook 2 Thread
    It is difficult to speak English, please excuse mistakes kindly m(_ _)m

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [RailgunITP] OOC I : Biribiri.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Finished mine. Hisagi Tsukiri, he controls lightning.

And I can't find any source that does from google and the manga I don't want to read.

Feel free to comment.
    The main character of Railgun uses lightning... To make a railgun using coins as bullets! And electrocute them for good measure

Hello everybody!

I was thinking about making a speedster character, to avoid the obvious problems (breaking stuff from the energy created just by running by it, being overpowered due to being able to hit stuff three thousand times a second, etc.) I was thinking he could become less dense the faster he runs.

But I'm not sure how that work scientifically, maybe something with the conservation of matter/energy? But that wouldn't explain how he gets the matter back...

A little help? I'm not used to need logic in my character creation!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Halfling in the Playground

Hey! I'm interested in joining this....I just have to read the manga. I've read some of the Index, so I have an idea of what's going on, but I'm still a little shaky on the concept. Posting my interest here. When I've read enough of Railgun to fully understand it, I'll be back...mwa ha ha...
    NarutoITP Characters
    Generals Morgan
    BleachITP Reborn Characters

Full Metal Madness(ITP) All images by Terry576

GB week Alilah avvie by Keveak!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    ...Oh beautiful and stylish woman, Moon Wolf. Please, take these internet flowers as a token of my love, and an appeasement so that I may not have to endure your wrath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    Gah! Onmitsukido'd!

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    The main character of Railgun uses lightning... To make a railgun using coins as bullets! And electrocute them for good measure

Hello everybody!

I was thinking about making a speedster character, to avoid the obvious problems (breaking stuff from the energy created just by running by it, being overpowered due to being able to hit stuff three thousand times a second, etc.) I was thinking he could become less dense the faster he runs.

But I'm not sure how that work scientifically, maybe something with the conservation of matter/energy? But that wouldn't explain how he gets the matter back...

Well, the closer an object gets to the speed of light, they're supposed to get less dense, so that might work.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Well, the closer an object gets to the speed of light, they're supposed to get less dense, so that might work.
    But that requires him to stay at those speeds, anything less and the buildings nearby will be turned to dust...

Unless *idea*

Perhaps his powers could manipulate his own relation to speed and as such he can lower his density while being slower than anything else would need to.

He could of course turn denser but that could kill him just like anybody else would be at that speed
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

22. - Top - End - #82

But that requires him to stay at those speeds, anything less and the buildings nearby will be turned to dust...

Unless *idea*

Perhaps his powers could manipulate his own relation to speed and as such he can lower his density while being slower than anything else would need to.

He could of course turn denser but that could kill him just like anybody else would be at that speed
    When you first said that I had this image of a dude running with Matrix bullet-time happening around him, as he parts of him slowly fall off.

It was awesome.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Hello everybody!

A speedster, eh?

Hmm...I don't think there's a strict need for your character to go anywhere near light speed; to the human eye, something traveling at 4000 meters per second is no different from something traveling at 300000 meters per second (the speed of light): they're both simply too fast for the eye to see.

If you decide to have your fellow travel near the speed of light anyway, there are other issues for you to think about:

Air friction. Objects traveling much slower than the speed of light nonetheless tend to burn up just by traveling through air too fast thanks to air friction. What about your character? He could try to protect himself with his AIM Field somehow, but that may require his AIM field to do 2 completely different things at once (unless you get creative).

Reaction time: someone traveling quickly must also be able to react quickly, or else he's going to crash very fast into something very hard. Your character may need a way to up his reaction time somehow to avoid this.

So, if you still want to go for a speedster, there's no strict need for him to try to break the light speed barrier. Nonetheless, I have a method for which you character can do so if he wishes:

Localized temporal acceleration.

That is, your character can focus his AIM field so that it only extends to his body and no further, and speed up time inside his body relative to the outside world. Neurons transmit faster: muscles pull faster: nutrients are consumed faster; the end result is that the body is able to move much faster relative to everything else.

Potential trade offs:

1) System shock: the body tries to "decelerate" and slow back down, but it ends up doing so at a clumsy rate. THe end result is that his organs slow down at a different rate from his heart, which slow down at a different rate from his nervous system, etc. How much the body is forced to slow down depends on how fast the body was accelerated before. As a result, he may feel anywhere from disorientation to severe discomfort, to even unconsciousness and perhaps death.

2) Deceleration: Instead, the body tries to slow down to slower than normal speeds in order to "match up" with the outside timeline. The result is that the body is slowed down relative to the outside world.

24. - Top - End - #84

Hello everybody!

Wait seriously?

That's the most worthless use of Lightning ever. I just had a vision of Hisagi as Zeus and rolled with it.

My motto is when in doubt, Matrix bullet time. Instead of being physically faster, he perceives everyone else as slower, so he can move faster than them, but not touch them at his current level.

@^: And if we're talking Speed of Light travel, he's got a major problem, that makes him the least broken character of all time:

Before he can stop to punch you, he's on the other side of the planet.

No. Seriously. This isn't a "Maybe" or a "sometimes", no matter WHAT he will be on the other side of the planet EVERYTIME he uses his Speed of Light travel.
    Last edited by Terry576; 2010-08-13 at 03:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait seriously?

That's the most worthless use of Lightning ever. I just had a vision of Hisagi as Zeus and rolled with it.

My motto is when in doubt, Matrix bullet time. Instead of being physically faster, he perceives everyone else as slower, so he can move faster than them, but not touch them at his current level.
    It's also a good bit impossible. Unless Yen are made from magnetic materials, that is. A railgun works by activating extremely powerful electromagnets, which fire a round that must also be magnetic. Coins, at least in America, are not magnetic. She also would have to have something that could act as an electromagnet on each arm, and aiming would be extremely hard. So would actually loading the weapon.
    Sir Dan Avatar by Mrgone!

26. - Top - End - #86

I think people are forgetting something else. When you reach the speed of light. You become light. According to Einstien anyway, but who wants to listen to that old nut. He'd have to have a way of turning back from light. Among the other issues that light speed travel brings.

Quote Originally Posted by riccaru View Post
    It's also a good bit impossible. Unless Yen are made from magnetic materials, that is. A railgun works by activating extremely powerful electromagnets, which fire a round that must also be magnetic. Coins, at least in America, are not magnetic. She also would have to have something that could act as an electromagnet on each arm, and aiming would be extremely hard. So would actually loading the weapon.
    It's called soft science.
    Last edited by Innis Cabal; 2010-08-13 at 03:21 PM.
    My Current Works

27. - Top - End - #87

I think people are forgetting something else. When you reach the speed of light. You become light. According to Einstien anyway, but who wants to listen to that old nut. He'd have to have a way of turning back from light. Among the other issues that light speed travel brings.
    We could brush that off with AIM fields though, claiming that he can will himself back into being.

The main problem is if he does travel that fast, he's halfway to the moon before he can turn back into not-light.

28. - Top - End - #88

Light speed travel is a no no, just like time travel.
    My Current Works

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Light speed travel is a no no, just like time travel.
    Yeah...this isn't to say 'super-speed' is off limits, just that it doesn't need to be THAT fast to still get the same effect. In other words, lets see the character first so we can see what you have in mind in terms of 'how fast' and limitations. Then we can give more constructive help.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Spoiler
    Show
    A speedster, eh?

Hmm...I don't think there's a strict need for your character to go anywhere near light speed; to the human eye, something traveling at 4000 meters per second is no different from something traveling at 300000 meters per second (the speed of light): they're both simply too fast for the eye to see.

If you decide to have your fellow travel near the speed of light anyway, there are other issues for you to think about:

Air friction. Objects traveling much slower than the speed of light nonetheless tend to burn up just by traveling through air too fast thanks to air friction. What about your character? He could try to protect himself with his AIM Field somehow, but that may require his AIM field to do 2 completely different things at once (unless you get creative).

Reaction time: someone traveling quickly must also be able to react quickly, or else he's going to crash very fast into something very hard. Your character may need a way to up his reaction time somehow to avoid this.

So, if you still want to go for a speedster, there's no strict need for him to try to break the light speed barrier. Nonetheless, I have a method for which you character can do so if he wishes:

Localized temporal acceleration.

That is, your character can focus his AIM field so that it only extends to his body and no further, and speed up time inside his body relative to the outside world. Neurons transmit faster: muscles pull faster: nutrients are consumed faster; the end result is that the body is able to move much faster relative to everything else.

Potential trade offs:

1) System shock: the body tries to "decelerate" and slow back down, but it ends up doing so at a clumsy rate. THe end result is that his organs slow down at a different rate from his heart, which slow down at a different rate from his nervous system, etc. How much the body is forced to slow down depends on how fast the body was accelerated before. As a result, he may feel anywhere from disorientation to severe discomfort, to even unconsciousness and perhaps death.

2) Deceleration: Instead, the body tries to slow down to slower than normal speeds in order to "match up" with the outside timeline. The result is that the body is slowed down relative to the outside world.
    I didn't mean he would be travelling at light speed, I meant he would be affected by that particular law (you grow less dense the closer you get to light speed) at much lower speeds to explain away how he isn't turned to porridge when he moves fast. His speed would then be a result of the same kind of effect on the laws about how much energy is needed to move that fast.

Essentially the same as Mikoto's ability to generate more electricity than she has energy for plus an additional ability in style with her ability to not be electrocuted by herself

Decelerating needs to be easy, otherwise it's no fun to steal people's milkshake

Wait seriously?

It needed to be shot through a pool of water and into a reinforced wall just to be measured. It's pretty much on level with a tank in the manga!

So instead of becoming faster everything else becomes slower? Perceiving things as slower is achieved by being insanely fast, even in The Matrix.

Otherwise it's reality warping which I think was out-ruled some time ago

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    Yeah...this isn't to say 'super-speed' is off limits, just that it doesn't need to be THAT fast to still get the same effect. In other words, lets see the character first so we can see what you have in mind in terms of 'how fast' and limitations. Then we can give more constructive help.
    I'll get right to it as soon as I can but I assure you it won't be anywhere near light speed. More like the speed of sound if anything.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.