New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5] Shadow Agent (PrC) - PEACH

Last of the three Shadow classes here. Since Illumians tend to favour monks and rogues more than most other classes, I figured a monk/rogue hybrid would be best for the espionage-based class.

As with the other two, balance is probably off, so I appreciate any and every piece of advice or help. PEACH!

Shadow Agent

HD: d6

Entry Requirements:
    Race: Illumian
    Base Attack Bonus: +3
    Feats: Weapon Finesse
    Special: Must pass combat examination from sentinel leaders.
    Special: Must have at least Sneak Attack +1d6 (or a variant thereof, such as Sudden Strike +1d6).
    Special: Must have an unarmoured AC bonus as a class feature.

Class Skills: (6+Int modifier per level) Balance, Bluff, Craft, Decipher Script, Disable Device, Disguise, Escape Artist, Forgery, Gather Information, Hide, Jump, Knowledge (Local), Knowledge (The Planes), Listen, Move Silently, Open Lock, Profession, Search, Sense Motive, Sleight of Hand, Spot, Tumble and Use Rope

Weapon and Armour Proficiencies: A Shadow Agent gains no proficiencies.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Unarmoured Abilities, Shadow Espionage (Communication)

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Elirhondas Elite

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Sneak Attack +1d6

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Shadow Espionage (Stealth)

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Umbral Finesse

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Sneak Attack +2d6

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Shadow Espionage (Detection)

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Wordsmith

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Sneak Attack +3d6

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Shadow Espionage (Mobility), Agent of the Citadel[/table]

Class Features:

Unarmoured Abilities: For the purposes of this ability, the class that grants you your unarmoured armour bonus is referred to as your "unarmoured class". You add your class level to your unarmoured class level to determine your AC bonus, any unarmed damage you may be granted and any unarmoured speed bonus you may be granted. Additionally, you may add your Intelligence bonus to your AC in place of the existing ability score bonus added, if any. If you do not add any ability score bonuses to your AC, you may now add your Intelligence modifier to your AC as long as you wear no armour or wield a shield of any kind.

Shadow Espionage: Your work as an agent of Elirhondsa is demanding, requiring you to become the very shadows that surround the citadel. You learn new techniques to disappear and remain hidden, contact allies at great distances, locate those you seek and to even bend shadowstuff to your will. You gain the abilities listed below at the levels mentioned. These abilities only function while you wear no armour and carry no shield of any kind.

Communication: Your training as a Shadow Agent involves learning the complexities of every language known to the Library of the New. As such, you gain knowledge of all spoken or written languages. This excludes languages that would be considered secretive (such as Druidic). This ability functions even while in armour or wielding a shield.

Stealth: Further training allows you to utilize your knowledge of the shifting shadows of the Plane of Shadow. At fourth level you gain an insight bonus equal to your class level to your hide and move silently checks.

Detection: You learn to notice the slight flickers of light bending due to magic, or the faint murmurs of a hidden assailent's breath. At 7th level you gain an insight bonus equal to twice your HD on all listen, search and spot checks. Additionally, you gain the Uncanny Dodge class feature. If you already have this class feature, you instead gain Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Mobility: At a moment's notice, you can call upon the shadowstuff contained within your body to flicker from one location to another. At 10th level you gain the use of Dimension Door as an Extraordinary ability at-will. Additionally, you gain 20% concealment.

Elirhondas Elite: You are the elite of the great shadow metropolis. As such, Illumians revere you and the Gith fear you more than any other of your kin. You gain a +5 circumstance bonus on all Charisma-based checks involving another Illumian, additionally all Illumians start as friendly toward you.
    You also gain Frightful Presence out to 30ft that only affects Githyanki and Githzerai. Any time you perform a dramatic action (usually charging, attacking or making an intimidate check) all Gith within 30ft must make a Will Save (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod) or become frightened for 5d6 rounds. A successful save prevents the Gith from being affected for 24 hours.

Sneak Attack: Training as a Shadow Agent improves your existing ability to target the vulnerable parts of an enemy. At 3rd level, your Sneak Attack (or a variation thereof) damage increases by 1d6. At 6th level it increases by a further 1d6 and at 9th level by a final 1d6 to a total of an extra 3d6 damage.

Umbral Finesse: Your mastery with close-quarters weapons improved greatly with your training. You learn to use precise strikes and blows to empower your attacks in place of raw strength. At 5th level you may add your dexterity modifier to damage instead of strength with any weapon that is able to be used with your Weapon Finesse feat.

Wordsmith: Using the innate power of words your race grants you, you learn to use your words to great effect when interacting with others. At 8th level you may use Suggestion as a Spell-Like Ability at-will with a caster level equal to your HD. The save DC is equal to 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha mod.

Agent of the Citadel: Your life is dedicated to the furthering of the metropolis of Elirhondas. As such, you become accustomed to the changing shadowstuff it's composed of. The city itself begins to morph to your will to a very slight degree, recognising you as an agent of the Illumian sanctuary. Your type changes to Outsider (Native). You no longer need to eat or sleep (but may do so if you wish), although you still need to breathe. You gain darkvision out to 60ft. You become immune to ability damage and drain. You gain Blindsense out to 30ft. Additionally, so long as you're in the city of Elirhondas, you always know your way around the city, you can use your sneak attack ability against any creature at any time and you can use the spells Dimension Door and Improved Invisibility at-will with a caster level equal to your HD.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-08-16 at 01:06 PM.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Shadow Agent (PrC) - PEACH

Communication should work whatever your armour.

You say 'interaction' in the table, and detection in the abilities.

Those are the only things I can see. (Shrugs)
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Communication should work whatever your armour.

You say 'interaction' in the table, and detection in the abilities.

Those are the only things I can see. (Shrugs)
    Nah, they're all armour-dependnt.

Fixed that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

llumians hold a special place in my heart. I like it. Looks good, at least to me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Niezck View Post
    Nah, they're all armour-dependnt.

Fixed that.
    It kinda makes no sense for armor to make you forget languages you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dencero View Post
    llumians hold a special place in my heart. I like it. Looks good, at least to me.
    As they do in mine

You should check out the other two classes - they're on the first page of the homebrew forums.

I've actually started planning a game based around Elirhondas for when my internet becomes more stable. Both for balance testing of the 3 classes and 'cos I love Elirhondas

Edit: Actually yeah ill make Communication work in armor.
    Last edited by Niezck; 2010-08-16 at 01:02 PM.