New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920
  1. - Top - End - #571
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: UKitP meet VII "X-mas/Winter" Sheffield 04/12/10 *UPDATED Nov 23, 2010*

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    I'm voting Brighton. City by the seaaaa!
    Brighton would be easy for me to get to for a summer meet up - almost too easy >.>
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

2. - Top - End - #572
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: UKitP meet VII "X-mas/Winter" Sheffield 04/12/10 *UPDATED Nov 23, 2010*

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post
    Brighton would be easy for me to get to for a summer meet up - almost too easy >.>
    We already tried a meetup in the very south of England.
    It is the one that is being claimed as happening as Archie went to meet up with Charity and Ikki, but as far as I can remember, they werethe only attendees.

So, Brighton probably has about the same chances of being arranged as a meetup here in Largs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

3. - Top - End - #573
    Ogre in the Playground

*curses loudly crappy net at residence that finally connected after 8 hours*

Quote Originally Posted by Thufir View Post
    Next meetup... I'm thinking of investigating options in the Newcastle area, but really the next one should probably be a bit further south, to be fairer on the people who live in that direction.
    Ech... No chance for Edinburgh/Glasgow, then? Newcastle could be fine, Foreign Legion is people, too! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Eldpollard View Post
    But yes, we played lots of games and no one became board.
    I wanted to play OotS

At least I won something. But too much Munchkin is too much Munchkin. Also, a pity there was not trip to suitably epic landmark in plans, though I don't know if there are any in Sheffield.

Quote Originally Posted by CurlyKitGirl View Post
    By the way, I may try and do a full write-up of the Burning Wheel game tomorrow;
    Please do.

@photos: Hehe, I'm only pictured from the front in one of them. Although my hands got a lot of attention.
    You were pictured far better than I am on those, anyway :P

Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I blame the outside interference by Jibar, and the fact that everyone else in the game tried to nuke me first.
    Because you wasted your shots on people who were no threat to you :P

I think this is by far the least expensive meetup for me to attend due to sharing petrol costs with Irbis and randman, and being able to crash at Spanner's place. And in this case, cheap is definitely good.
    *starts planning to rob KuR for the above* :P
    Above Us Only Sky

4. - Top - End - #574
    Firbolg in the Playground

Favourite parts:
    Everything really.
    Especially the Burning Wheel game, and the duels of wits. And the poisoning plot. And the eventual result. And why it happened.
    Oh, sidenote: My favourite bits of overhearing that game: Glug being the gnome, and when the dwarfs had (I believe) been consulting outside the room, and the first thing I heard when they came back in was Archie saying "Right, so we **** the Prince."

And the Once Upon A Time games. Oh my lord. Evil gumbo possessed by the spirit of Bad Horse whose arch nemeis is an evil magical dog. Stupid mechanical trees which are computers - and sometimes keys - which plan to take over the world. The blacksmith.
    With his mechanical shark hooks. Also he has a chapel on his boat.

Iibbers cracked up laughing multiple times. And he took notes. Actually, we all cracked up laughing.
    Yeah, if we played with that optional rule Cassie mentioned of losing the story if we paused for too long, we'd all be screwed by laughing fits. The story hasn't advanced at all for a couple of minutes, and we now have like 20 cards each.

By the way, I may try and do a full write-up of the Burning Wheel game tomorrow; but for the parts when I was away from the game table doing stuff could someone (an elf perhaps) write up what they talked about?
    I look forward to reading this.

@photos: Hehe, I'm only pictured from the front in one of them. Although my hands got a lot of attention.
    There are a couple more on facebook. And the card bomb shelter had to be documented!

The Waistcoat Brigade look exceptionally spiffy,
    Hellz yeah. Next meetup, we're looking to recruit some more members. Make the meetup dress code waistcoats. Well, not just waistcoats (Although, man, if it's as hot as last year, being topless under the waistcoat could become a very appealing prospect...)

Next time around, screw bringing sleeping bags, pyiamas and the like, I'm iust bringing baking.
    I imagine someone else will be able to provide you with a sleeping bag, and in a pinch you can sleep in your clothes. The plan is sound!

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphale View Post
    I don't post here enough no more.
    This is a very true statement. Post more!

I blame the outside interference by Jibar, and the fact that everyone else in the game tried to nuke me first.
    Well, I was originally trying to decide whether to nuke Hamish or Spanner, but then Curly told me to go for you.

I thought Sheffield was very good.
    Venue was perfect. Great possibilities to arrange the tables as needed, quiet (no interference from intoxicated bystanders or people using the booked room as a shortcut) and, of course, Spanner managed to get it for free.
    I think this is by far the least expensive meetup for me to attend due to sharing petrol costs with Irbis and randman, and being able to crash at Spanner's place. And in this case, cheap is definitely good.
    Another good point was that, while we didn't have the venue as late as usual, we still had it a good 11 hours, and having started early, we could still perfectly reasonably adjourn to somewhere else and continue the fun into the wee hours of the morning. This is how meetups should be. Start early, finish late, packed with awesomemagicfuntimes* for all.
    Though, it was still too short for my liking.

*Totally a word.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

5. - Top - End - #575
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Irbis View Post
    Also, a pity there was not trip to suitably epic landmark in plans, though I don't know if there are any in Sheffield.
    Nah, they demolished their only famous landmark in 2008:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinsley_cooling_towers

6. - Top - End - #576
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Spanner View Post
    Also, Glug's Burning Wheel game was epic.
    *slanderous lies*
    the true account.

The elven deligation entered with the elven prince wearing the most outrageosly ornate and expensive armour that any dwarf had ever seen. the drunken uncle tried to purchace the armour while our extremely compatant advisor gracefully granted the elven prince the privilige of valuing his armour which they declined. they then proclaim that they had no tribute for seeing the prince, but after a quick talk between their loremaster and their prince they settled that maybe if they couldn't find a settlement the armour may have to suffice but for now they only had some elven "wine"1 as their gift.
    we then ask that they show their peaceful intentions by leaving their weapons in our armoury. this didn't go down as well as it should have to a "peaceful" party but a comprimise was reached where all our arms were placed in a locked chest and put into, the locked treasure room by the enterance hall (under the throne).
    after that was sorted the elves retired to the second most ornate room in the kingdom while the Dwarved prince washed himsef in his gold.
    we drunk to peace with the elves refusing to drink our beer and instead asking that we open the bottle that THEY brought themselves...

in the morning we greeted them with the traditional dwarven breakfast of beer and cornflakes. we were also greeted by a strange jester who made cups appear from various places too small for cups to be stored. the Dwarven party started to drink except the elderly drunken uncle strangely enough while the elven party hesitated as their loremaster thought his "wine"1 was off.

immidatly as we drunk the 2 advisors to the dwarven prince fell over with incredible pain while our prince was luckly strong enough to resist some kind of poison he immidatly called for the guards to watch the elven deligation while another batallion hunts for the jester who just left

while the elves tried to protest their innocence the master of the guards and chief military advisor accused the drunken uncle of plotting to take the throne, this resolved when it was agreed that no dwarf would sink so low as to use poison. this looked bad for the elves who were sure that they too were targeted for this assination attempt. the drunken unkle then sought to prove their innconece by drinking the poisoned wine himself. this worked as the wine was indeed poisoned too. this further implicated the gnome jester who had now been cornered into the treasure room

after we captured him we took him to be captured where he attempted to escape and was killed by an over eager guard but not before our preliminary interrorgation which showed that he was part of a gnomish plot to destabilise the fragile peace between the dwarves and elves so they could wait till both sides were weakened and conquer us all.

the elves agreed to help with the upcoming war and took the clan axe as a sign of our alliance while the elves sung a song so all the elves would know that the dwarves were friends of the elves and that a lasting allince was born.

anything other than this offical story is mearly hearsay...

1: more like moose urine or water than an actual "drink"
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

7. - Top - End - #577
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy View Post
    the elves agreed to help with the upcoming war and took the clan axe as a sign of our alliance while the elves sung a song so all the elves would know that the dwarves were friends of the elves and that a lasting allince was born.
    Funny that, the elves left with more treasure than they started with!

The two nations got the peace they were seeking and a war was declared on a nation that had no involvement with the conflict so that the Dwarven Seneschal Kol would not take the blame for tryin to kill the elves behind his prince's back.

I foresee Seneschal Kol going crazy with greed before the war with the gnomes is over.

8. - Top - End - #578
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    Funny that, the elves left with more treasure than they started with!
    i know not fair right!

and how can you blame an innocent dwarf for this conspirisy?
    such a thing would be unthinkable .... and unprovable
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

9. - Top - End - #579
    Troll in the Playground

I've got a thread for the game I ran.

Here

I'd appreciate the attention there. Attention, how much I crave thee.

10. - Top - End - #580

I foresee Seneschal Kol going crazy with greed before the war with the gnomes is over.
    I believe he is still plotting to get that armour. Seriously, everything happend because I failed my steel roll at the begining...

Well, not quite everything, but you get the idea...

11. - Top - End - #581

By the way, I may try and do a full write-up of the Burning Wheel game tomorrow; but for the parts when I was away from the game table doing stuff could someone (an elf perhaps) write up what they talked about?
    If we all write something up we could combine them to produce a very accurate account.

Then if someone could produce a graphical representation (comic style I'm thinking) it would be awesome.

12. - Top - End - #582

If we all write something up we could combine them to produce a very accurate account.
    That's debatable. We might have a case of multiple unreliable narrators there.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

13. - Top - End - #583

BlackDragon

That's debatable. We might have a case of multiple unreliable narrators there.
    Then you can make a feature of it and show it from the viewpoints of all the protagonists, showing up the differences!

14. - Top - End - #584
    Troll in the Playground

There was a Farscape episode like that. A really good episode.

I bet all the players perceived the events a little differently. As a GM I was trying really hard to keep up with the reasoning behind each of the characters for their actions. They're a complicated bunch!

Plus I didn't want it consuming the whole day. I went slightly over the anticipated 4 hours.

15. - Top - End - #585
    Troll in the Playground

Because you wasted your shots on people who were no threat to you :P
    Considering it seems that everyone were plotting against me, I would claim that there were no players in the game that were no threat to me.
    They all had it in for me!

Well, I was originally trying to decide whether to nuke Hamish or Spanner, but then Curly told me to go for you.
    My point thus stands as first stated.

*starts planning to rob KuR for the above* :P
    Having said that it's the cheapest one I've been to only means that I didn't spend the usual £150-ish that I usually do for the meetup weekend.

I think I got away with about £75 for this weekend.

Another good point was that, while we didn't have the venue as late as usual, we still had it a good 11 hours, and having started early, we could still perfectly reasonably adjourn to somewhere else and continue the fun into the wee hours of the morning. This is how meetups should be. Start early, finish late, packed with awesomemagicfuntimes* for all.
    Though, it was still too short for my liking.

*Totally a word.
    Agreed. A meetup that lasted either over a bank holday weekend, or, even better, a whole week, would be awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

16. - Top - End - #586

Yeah, a bank holiday one would be good. The problem is that it would make it a lot more expensive for people considering an extra day of food and accommodation.
    Also we should totally have the next meet-up in Aberystwyth. Easy for everyone (as in only me) to get to... It has good travel links, well it has one train every two hours...
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

17. - Top - End - #587

Yeah, a bank holiday one would be good. The problem is that it would make it a lot more expensive for people considering an extra day of food and accommodation.
    Also we should totally have the next meet-up in Aberystwyth. Easy for everyone (as in only me) to get to... It has good travel links, well it has one train every two hours...
    You're at aber? How convinient for the rest of us
    Last edited by GrlumpTheElder; 2010-12-06 at 12:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #588

You're at aber? What course you doing?
    Information and Library Studies. I'm in my first year and I'm in a class of a whole eight people. I'm posting this instead of working on my assignment. I really am very good at procrastinating.
    I now have a blog. Have a look if you wish. It contains those naughty profanities that you won't find here. If you like what you read send me a PM, or if you don't like it. I'd like to know how many people here read it.

Avatar done by me. If you want one then you clearly have no taste. I'll do one happily. You just have no taste.

19. - Top - End - #589

There was a Farscape episode like that. A really good episode.
    There was also an episode of Coupling like that, showing the same events from two different points of view. Rather hilarious.

My point thus stands as first stated.
    Look, I'd be a pretty lousy High Priest if it didn't smite infidels (Or at least try to) when specifically ordered to by my Goddess.

Agreed. A meetup that lasted either over a bank holday weekend, or, even better, a whole week, would be awesome.
    Absolutely. I once attended a party which extended over 3 whole days and it was great. Admittedly by the third day we were a bit tired and ended up just sitting around watching DVDs, but 3 relaxed days in good company is just a really enjoyable experience.

Except for those people who stay over at someone's house. Well, I suppose they still need food, but accommodation's the really expensive one. So ideally we need someone with a really big house. Or somewhere with multiple people who can offer sleeping space.

You realise the summer meetup is fairly likely to be after university terms end? You won't be there any more.
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

20. - Top - End - #590

Information and Library Studies. I'm in my first year and I'm in a class of a whole eight people. I'm posting this instead of working on my assignment. I really am very good at procrastinating.
    Better work on it or they might throw the book at you
    I know, terrible

21. - Top - End - #591
    Troll in the Playground

Better work on it or they might throw the book at you
    If they do that, he'd have to turn another page in his life and look for something else to do.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

22. - Top - End - #592

If he's got any spine, he'll turn over a new leaf.

I shall type my account of the amazing Burning Wheel game later, when I can obtain some precious seconds. Which will probably be tomorrow. Busy Fred is busy.

23. - Top - End - #593

I enjoyed the Burning Wheel game- and ended up doing a little of improvisation when it came to thinking of cultural greetings for both races.

Not very original improvisation, admittedly
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

24. - Top - End - #594
    Troll in the Playground

I've made a thread for if anyone would be interested in a Mouse Guard play by post.

Here

25. - Top - End - #595
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd like to point out that Spanner and myself didn't just survive, we still had enough population to rule the world

14 mil subjects ftw

Just proves that when WWIII starts, the best thing to do is hum tunelessly and pretend you are inspecting the wall

And for Burning Wheel, I'm fairly certain that both the Elves and Dwarves came up with many plots and counter-plots for murdering each other, that were then promptly thrown out the window in favour of 'randomly-pick-a-race' genocide

TRAF Awards

Spoiler
    Show
    I fought The Mysterious Circle of Shadowy Chairs in Discworld I (Dei in Machina) till the end, won the game and survived and all I got is this lousy signature line.

Thanks Banjo1985 for Count Catula!

26. - Top - End - #596
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering it seems that everyone were plotting against me, I would claim that there were no players in the game that were no threat to me.
    I wasn't. But next time, I will!

Having said that it's the cheapest one I've been to only means that I didn't spend the usual £150-ish that I usually do for the meetup weekend.
    We can help you remedy that problem next time ;P

Uhm. And, speaking of awesome: two movies I played at the meeting:

The beginning of the most awesome animated RPG-based series in a long time (just click on the start of second minute if you don't believe);

And, the most awesome moment in the history of RTS games (might be NSFW) :P
    Above Us Only Sky