New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4E] Tomb of Horrors IC

"Yes, good evening madame," Aki says as he walks into the inn. "As a general rule, once night has fallen I find 'indoors with a glass of wine' superior to most other options. You give me the impression, however, that nightfall in these parts brings with it more than difficulty in seeing where one is going. Would you care to elaborate?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll fork out for a glass of the best wine they have, assuming the inn doesn't explode or something.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

Arthur

Arthur steps into the inn, and addresses the inkeeper. "Thank you for your hospitality, Miss Eledserei. How much is the going rate for a meal and a room? I imagine we won't be going much further tonight, especially with that tree across the road." Arthur continues, as he rummages in his coin pouch to produce the coins for bed and board for the party. "How has business been for you recently miss?"

Spoiler
    Show

If manage Nature >15, (((d20+10)[11])) Arthur will continue on, "Has the town had trouble with attackers, that the road is barricaded?"

I supose he'll be using his streetwise here to find out why the road has been blocked, and to see if it has to do with the problem they're here to investigate. (d20+9)[28]
    Last edited by Anonomuss; 2010-08-24 at 07:15 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Travok Bluesteel - Dwarf Battlemind

Travok strides into the inn and finds someplace to sit. If someone's taking orders, he says, "I'd like a stout ale, please. Dwarven, if you have it. And something for my friend here." He hooks a thumb to point at Rynthel.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Orc in the Playground

Maharal

"I bid you thanks for your kind hospitality, Miss Eledseri. Is there perhaps a town priest in the area, a brother... brother..."
    Frowning, Maharal pretends to search his memory for a moment, rummaging around for a piece of paper in his pack. "Gerigar? Ah, yes. Brother Gerigar. While on the road we were hired to deliver a letter to him, and I'd like to ensure that it is taken care of before retiring for the night if he is available."

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to avoid asking the exact same thing for a third time here, and maybe not flag ourselves as WANDERING ADVENTURERS, ATTACK HERE IF YOU ARE DOING SOMETHING BAD considering what happened to the four paladins. I'll do a Religion check to see if what she tells me checks out, assuming she knows anything in the first place; (1d20+10)[26]

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

KT-937 walks in and surveys the bar, looking over all the other patrons curiously. He pays particular attention to anyone that looks like fellow travelers before finding a table to sit at himself, back to the wall preferably.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Troll in the Playground

When you enter the inn it's plain that there are no other guests, which to some extent explains why she was so pleased to see you. Eledseri flutters about getting you drinks and food. In between conventional remarks and laughing at your bad jokes, she answers a few of your questions.

"As you can no doubt tell, trade has been bad with that terrible business further north. About now, in high summer it's all but standing room only at the Three Bells, and with the three serving girls I usually all we can do to keep everyone victualed. But now..." she threw a depreciating gesture at the empty room with a dry laugh "it's naught that I can do to keep meself in food and fuel." She looks darkly at Arthur. "That tree is all the foresters can do to keep the fools out that like to play hero." She pours a tall tankard of dark strong smelling drink and passes it to Travok. "Hope you're equal to it, Master dwarf, or your friends are equal to picking ye off the floor if you're not. They make strong stuff in Hammerfast that could scale a dragon."

At the sound of Gerigar's name her face twitches somewhat unpleasantly but she maintains her friendly demanour. "Gerigar? You'd best be troublin' him in the mornin' then, if you can stand the fire in his voice. No disrespect meant, father," she says with a quick nod of deferance to Arthur, "but is it not rather provoking in these different times, when a man who's filled with blight and bluster and backed by the might of his holy office lays blame for the tragedy on those who are afflicted?" It looks as if she's been wanting to speak about this for a while, but she checks herself in time and picks up a lit candle. "Listen to me jawing off when there's beds to make and rooms to air. Bed and board for the night's a piece of gold each, and included's a brief repast in the morning. And now if you don't mind I'll see if the rats haven't devoured the bed clothes."
    Taking her candle in a long brass candlestick, she goes up a set of stairs at the side of the room and leaves you alone.

Running Tomb of Horrors 4E in all that horrific tombyness.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Travok - Dwarf Battlemind

Travok takes a cautious sip of the ale, and then grins, pleased. "Ah, this is Brightaxe brew! It's some of the best that Hammerfast offers. Here, have a sip." He offers a taste to Rynthel.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Barbarian in the Playground

"People tryin'a play heroes, eh? We wouldn't want none of that, would we?" Dimble grins to himself.
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"I generally try to avoid playing at being a hero. If I'm going to get involved in such situations I much prefer to simply succeed and actually be one," Rynthel says, shrugging. He takes a sip of his own drink and then tries the proffered taste of Travok's drink.

"Ahh, excellent. Lacks the subtlety of eladrin brews, but then, if you're looking to get drunk the subtlety of eladrin brews is wasted on you and pointless. Good solid straight to the point brew." He looks curiously at the two Warforged and leans in towards Travok. "I doubt you know about the other, but the one who seems to be your friend, Maharal... What exactly is he? Some sort of golem? I've never seen the like before now. Magic? Some odd type of new-fangled machinery? Strange psychic phenomenon? I realise it isn't actually important, but I'm incredibly curious. I ask you because I don't want to offend them, unless you think Maharal or the other would be comfortable with such questions." Rynthel at the moment reminds you of nothing so much as an excited child who's just found out about some new, fascinating aspect of the multiverse and wants to know everything there is to know about it in the next five minutes.
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    Twitter | Google+ | AIM: iankunx | Skype: Nai.Calus | Y!IM: nai_calus
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

"I don't know about this Katy fellow," Travok says. "For all I know, he's not the same sort of being as my friend at all. But Maharal... well, he's never been embarrassed to say where he's from. If you're curious, you should ask him."

11. - Top - End - #71
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The metal man listens to all of this impassionately. Or so it seems. He offers forth his one gold for the room. "I will not need a meal tonight, or in the morning. Or bed linens. Just insure a good chair and extra candles for the night. He pauses a moment before adding, "What can you tell us of the troubles that have been occuring to the north?"

12. - Top - End - #72
    Orc in the Playground

Maharal

"Hmm... most interesting."
    Maharal motions Arthur over to a table, carefully seating himself in the chair to ensure that it can support his weight. "What do you make of this? I know you cannot speak for all the members of your order, but is it usual for a priest of Pelor to take his frustrations out on villagers? It seems most unlikely that they could have been waylaying the caravans, much less four Paladins. Perhaps we should approach him together and see what information we can discover as two men of faith."

Maharal's voice doesn't stumble over the words, and he finds no irony in his statement; despite his artificial nature, he believes himself to be as much of a man as anyone else. Well, except Jadira and Kay'Tee. Jadira is a law unto herself, as the High Priest could attest to, and Kay'Tee was a true puzzle.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think that waitress slipped some sort of mild poison into your drink. Possibly trying to throw us off of investigating whatever is going on around here. Perhaps she's one of the ones behind it. I'd advise caution around her." Rynthel says, raising an eyebrow. "You'd think she'd target me, though, or perhaps she's heard enough stories to not be foolish enough to try to poison a drow."
    Every time you spell Corellon wrong, Gruumsh gets excited and kills a kitten. Please, think of the kittens.
    RIP Eltain Sharma, Chosen of Corellon, and Frank, his faithful Celestial Pegamule. May you find the peace you sought.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Travok - Dwarf Battlemind

"Bah!" Travok says. "You just don't appreciate a good dwarven brew. It tastes fine." And to prove it, he takes a large swallow.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

"I appreciate it just fine, I do believe I just complimented it. Just be wary, is all I'm saying. It's possible she's had a lack of exposure to non-human races and simply doesn't realize that some poisons may have different effects on other races. Indeed, it may be that it's my drink that's poisoned. In fact, I think I'll avoid drinking the rest of it. It may be fine, but I'm not about to risk it."

16. - Top - End - #76

Arthur

Arthur muses for a moment before replying. "I have known some priest who'd blame misfortune on the lack of piety of their parish, but merely to encourage them to greater levels of devotion. I have little love for trickery such as that, but I have never heard of a Priest having blamed his flock for waylaying caravans on the road, without good reason. Although I get the impression from Eldressa that Gerigar is of the former sort, as opposed to the latter, more driven by his own frustration than by any lack of piety. It is most certainly worth talking to him." He paused for a moment, " He may be able to provide us with more information. We might be best waiting until morning though. A man of his supposed self-importance may not take well to traveller's disturbing his evening preparations."

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

"Interesting..." Aki muses as he lounges in the most comfortable seat he can find, sipping his wine, studiously ignoring the beer-related shenanigans. "I concur that this 'Gerigan' character is our best lead, but he can wait until morning. A priest of Pelor should be particularly easy to find at sunrise."

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Eledseri returns and places her candlestick on the bar. She smiles at Rynthiel's rather worse for wear appearance.
    "Well, I did warn you of its potency."
    "As for the troubles here, well..." she thinks for a moment, wiping a cloth against the bar, "if it were not so serious it would seem almost mundane. We have always had the odd danger and folks know well than to venture far at night...but the attacks by usually harmless creatures are rather different. We thought that they would lessen when winter left us, they didn't. And what's more with the roads open they have made matters worse."
    She turns to the others, speaking quickly and almost too brightly. "Is there anything else that I can get you before you wish to settle for the night?" She nods to KT. "I can provide you with a sturdy chair if that is all you require, though I must say it has been some time since I have seen some of your kind in these parts."

Insight 25
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eledseri seems only inclined to speak of the recent events on general terms...there could be a personal reason for this

My Blog The Level 1 GM

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Rynthel gives his best disarming smile to the woman but keeps silent.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20+9)[28]

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

KT tilts his head curiously to the woman, "you have seen those of my type before?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Insight
    (1d20+10)[16]

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Travok fails to notice anything unusual.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight - (1d20+9)[20]
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-08-26 at 09:45 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Maharal

"Attacks by usually harmless creatures? Is that what the roadblock is there for - something is disturbing the local wildlife and making them more aggressive?"

Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[12]
    Last edited by RPZip; 2010-08-26 at 09:54 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dimble's ears perk up and he listens in.
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+5)[18]
    Sweet avatar of Gikalek by KaptainKrutch.

Now running The Goramitar Games
    IC|OOC

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Aki drinks his wine and remains oblivious.

Spoiler
    Show
    Insight +14: (1d120+14)[72]
    Last edited by potatocubed; 2010-08-26 at 02:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Arthur

Arthur listens to the conversation.

Spoiler
    Show

Insight-(d20+15)[30]

26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground

Yes I have, [/COLOR] she says to KT I saw a wizard with another like you a year ago, though he didn't say much when I asked him questions." She turns to Maharal. Yes, that is pretty much the quick of it. The roadblock has stopped people going forward but I'm not sure how much longer it can do that. They're coming closer, and people have been here to do something about it but haven't returned.
    Last edited by Katana_Geldar; 2010-08-27 at 12:45 AM.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

27. - Top - End - #87

Arthur

Arthur nods. "Thank you for your hospitality miss Eledresi" he says bowing to her, "You have shown us much kindness. We would not like to see anything happen to you or anyone hereabouts. We will do whatever we can to stop it. But if you happen to remember anymore details, we would very much appreciate it."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, thank you for your good wishes, kind sir," she says, bowing her head and colouring slightly. She turns away and polishes the far end of the bar with a cloth but it doesn't look as if it needed it.

My Blog The Level 1 GM

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Rynthel, sensing that the girl is holding back, quietly stands and walks over to her, placing one of his hands on hers and looking up at her with a sympathetic half-smile.

"Things must have been very difficult for you here lately. I'm sure it's been awful. You musn't bottle things up inside, though, it's bad for the mind and the heart. I'm sure you'll feel better if you talk about it, and I'm here if you need someone to listen."

Diplomacy: (1d20+15)[16]

30. - Top - End - #90
    Troll in the Playground

She seems a little taken aback at this. "Thank you for that, I'll keep it in mind." Then goes back to what she was doing.

My Blog The Level 1 GM