New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

frown Nerving shield ward (3.5)

He there,

Just a quick question: Do you feel like Shield Ward from PH2 is to strong a feat for a defensive character? My DM ruled it only affects the touch ac and not the grapple, trip etc modifier. Is that fair or does that make the feat rather weak?

Kind regards,

Zanticor

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

confused Re: Nerving shield ward (3.5)

Fighter types already have enough problems, no need to nerf them further...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    *high fives*
    Someone get this man a medal, because he either reads my posts or my mind.

Avvy by azuyomi244
    A Warforged Warlock who thinks he's a gnome in a power-suit?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

PirateGuy

Default Re: Nerving shield ward (3.5)

It doesn't break the fighter at all. You should get that bonus everywhere.

Houseruling a decrease in its usefulness is making the feat weaker. Tell your DM that GitP disagrees with him.

Also, the title should be "Nerfing shield ward" (emphasis mine) and I believe this belongs in the Roleplaying Games thread.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Nerfing shield ward (3.5)

Does Shield Ward really deserve a nerf? Let's see:

1) It requires a feat as a prerequisite (Shield Specialization), which means you have to...

2) Be proficient in shields. Yep, no Shield spell on that one. Also, you must...

3) Hold the shield. No Dancing Shields for you, which means you are a...

4) Sword and Board warrior, which is considered a deficient fighting tactic in D&D. Furthermore, you already have...

5) Parrying Shield (from Lords of Madness), which does exactly what you propose, and it's actually easier to qualify for (only needs shield proficiency, which you can get rather easily). Exactly the same as proposed.

Thus, in conclusion, no: Shield Ward isn't powerful. It's actually a patch for the fighting classes, which have to struggle (no pun intended) with the spellcasters in utility. Adding...what, 2~4 plus enhancement bonus to touch AC is strong? Well, spellcasters already topped that with...what, +10 bonus to AC with a few spells? Or, heck, complete immunity to spells, or concealment, or invisibility, or...you get the idea. The fact that you can get the bonus on bull rush, disarm, grapple, sunder and trip is a godsend, since you won't specialize enough on those if you wear a shield.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.