New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Good IC

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default For Good IC

The drums of war sound, calling the brave to battle against the undead. The common people cry out for protection against the dreaded rakshasa. Horrors from the lands below rise up from their homes in the bowels of the earth, slaying few and kidnapping many. There are times when the world itself faces destruction, and escapes that fate only through the sacrifice of thousands of valiant warriors, each going down in history. This isn't one of them.

A hundred and fifty years ago, an empire of the undead was toppled. An empire that had ruled the continent for over three hundred years, led by Azaron Dalethein, an elven lich. He was slain by many great clerics, who worked together to destroy him, body and soul. Paladins and knights rode through the land, driving away the foul undead that remained. Clerics followed in their wake, cleansing the land of the taint that suffused it. War erupted, ambitious warlords conquering kingdoms for themselves. This all ended a hundred years ago.

But evil never is eradicated completely. Azaron's phylactery was never found. Undead still roam the land, rakshasa have returned, now inhabiting the Demon Wastes. The Demon Wastes themselves are still tainted with evil, an evil that refuses to leave. The drow still scheme, the illithids still work away in their mysterious cabals, the plots of many are still waiting to unravel. Betrayers and betrayed, fallen heroes and reformed villains, stories of the individuals weaving themselves into the tapestry known as history.

Now you will join it.

Spoiler
    Show

Map (yes there are more towns, yes I don't know where they are):

Humans are the dominant species, followed by dwarves, then halflings

Dragons exist, but color-coding is out. You can have a CE gold dragon, an LG white dragon, whatever.

The year is divided into 6 lunar months of 60 days each and a short month of 17 days at the end of the year. Date is often written in a month/day/year fashion, as the rakshasa once used. Snow Moon, Planting Moon, High Moon, Solstice Moon, Harvest Moon, Lichfall Moon (Formerly Ghost Moon), and Saint's Moon (the short one) are the months.

There are 2 moons, a big one and a small one. The small white one follows a 28-day cycle (28 days from full moon to full moon), the larger yellowish one follows a 60-day cycle. The calender tells time by the cycles of the yellow moon.

Timeline:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1460-1500 Before the Human Era: The earliest records of rakshasa history seem to state that this time period was when their empire, which spanned the continent, was founded.
    1060-1080 BHE: Gray elves rebel and throw the rakshasa out, forming their own empire east of the Sjachir Mountains.
    265 BHE: Records show that a plague swept through the gray elf lands, and many of them die.
    53 BHE: The last gray elves disappear, apparently going extinct.
    44 BHE: Emperor Ravana of the Rakshasa Empire dies without declaring which one of his twin children will inherit. The empire splits, and the humans rebel.
    44-10 BHE: The Rakshasa Empire consumes itself in a civil war, and 90 percent of the rakshasa population dies.
    10 BHE: The Rakshasa Empire falls.
    0 Human Era: The Kallean Empire is founded. It covers the area that is now Brightwater and southern Laodren.
    59 HE: The Kallean Empire takes over most of the central plains by this time.
    163 HE: Huatlin is founded.
    0 Dark Age/589 HE: Azaron Dalethein is born.
    20 DA/609 HE: Nairen Sedranel, a Mithranda elf is born.
    105 DA/694 HE: Sessara (a human from Kallean) is born.
    117 DA/706 HE: Zombies begin to appear in the north. Nairen is believed to have allied with Azaron during this year.
    High Moon 126 DA/715 HE: Sessara, now a trained assassin, is sentenced to die for her multitude of crimes. She escapes two days before the hanging.
    Farmer's Moon 126-Fall 127 DA/715-716 HE: Sessara is believed to have allied with Azaron and Nairen some time during this period.
    Ghost Moon of 127 DA/716 HE: Vampires rise in the north. They are all slain within a month by a group of 3 anonymous people, now believed to be Sessara, Azaron, and Nairen. Whether or not this is true, Sessara and Nairen became vampires during this month.
    129-133 DA/718-722 HE: Azaron, Nairen, and Sessara are definitely allied by this time. They invade the Mithrandas Forest with armies of undead and demons, even drawing upon the nigh-extinct rakshasa warriors. By the 5th month of 722 DA, the Mithrandas Forest has become the Demon Wastes, and the rakshasa take the land over.
    136-143 DA/725-732 HE: Azaron’s armies invade Kallean. By 143 DA, he has conquered the continent up to the Sjachir Mountains. Azaron becomes a lich.
    144-431 DA: The Dark Age is retroactively named, and the Human Era is declared to have ended in 589 HE, when Azaron was born. Shadowkeep is founded, and Azaron will rule from there largely unopposed for the next 287 years.
    431-438 DA: An army of the righteous is founded, overthrowing Azaron’s empire. Nairen is slain, Azaron is slain, but returns because his phylactery was still whole. Shadowkeep is sacked and burned to the ground. Sessara escapes, and it is believed that she took Azaron’s phylactery with her.
    440 DA: Sessara is slain, but returns despite the fact her coffin was burned in Shadowkeep two years before.
    Ghost Moon of 441 DA: Sessara is slain, this time for good. Azaron is killed two days later, and does not return. His phylactery is never found. The Dark Age ends with his death, and the Revival begins. Ghost Moon is renamed Lichfall Moon.
    1-53 Revival: Warlords rise up, creating the kingdoms we know today.
    Saint's Moon, 14th day, 3 Revival: The paladin order is founded in an abandoned grey elf citadel.
    147 Revival: House Aeon falls.
    151 Revival: Present Day.

{table]User Name|Character Sheet
    BladeOfOblivion|Cygaar, Spear of Radiance
    Cadian 9th|Razor
    cd4|Temujin Khagan
    Gorgontandess|Sariel
    Lix Lorn|Johann of the Mental Point
    Lord Mattos|Rhakan Tel'Daeos
    Toxin605|Lord Aeon the Resolute
    Zaydos|Thorgrim Steel-Cleaver[/table]

Someone runs in to the great hall, tired and sweaty. Dust covers his face. His clothes are dirty and ripped, his breath shallow and quick. He might be only a boy still, considering how scrawny he is. There's a strip of cloth that might be a makeshift bandage on his arm. His short brown hair is plastered to his scalp by sweat, and his eyes are filled with fear. "Iraness- sacked! Monsters, walkin' corpses, an' the cold'un, she killed me mum an' ripped her bones out, jus' by snappin' her fingers an' pointin'!" he babbles. "Me an' Mara an' Tobe an' Keran an' Hanna an' little Jan were the only ones to ge' away, an' Mara said ta come here, ta you, an' we did, 'cept the red-eyed demon bandits got Mara an' Keran an' every'un else and they're gone an' I'm scared!"

"Hold on, child. When did this happen?"

"We lef' 6 days ago, and we've been runnin' and runnin'!"

"But Iraness is two hundred miles away! You've been pushing yourself far too hard child, you need to rest."

"I can't rest! I've gotta save me friends!"

"We will rescue, them, do not worry." The cleric turns away from the child as another cleric leads the protesting child to the sleeping quarters "You, you, you, you, you, you, you, and you," she says, pointing at each of you in turn, "Go rescue the children. The rest of you saddle up and ride to Iraness!"
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-08-19 at 02:30 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: For Good IC

"As ye command," Thorgrim says quickly, "Just let me grab my axe and Ah'll be ready. Any idea what these red-eyed demon bandits may be? It's best to know yer foe ere ye charge."
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Razor

The elf frowns with characteristic doubt. This world is ending... Let's make the next one a better place... He thinks. Picking up his sacred bow, he lifts arrow to bow and nods to the cleric, hood drawn and cloak present. The power of the Mithranda people broken, Razor has little to rely on, but his speed, skill and devotion to the forces of good and the blessing of Correlon will lead to triumph.

" This is the call of the singer, the song of the silent. We must go now, lest it end forever. Come now. " He says.
    Awesome Avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins!

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

"I would assume that the child is referring to the drow, as they would likely recognize an orc."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

"Ah, sun-haters is it. Never matched my axe with 'eir trea'ry. We'll bring 'em the light soon 'nuff." Thorgrim says as he leaves to get his waraxe.

Current Projects:

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

"These are Dark Times Indeed." The Half-Dragon stands to his impressive 6'2" height, puts his helmet on, and readies a mace. "It seems that this conflict will have to be resolved through a force of arms." He thinks a moment. "This "Cold One" the boy mentioned sounds like a Spellcaster, likely a Cleric. We will have to take extreme caution."
    Last edited by BladeofOblivion; 2010-08-19 at 03:13 AM.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

Avatar by Dorian Soth Thormag. Thanks a bunch.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhakan stays near the back of those paladins in the room, trying not to catch the eye of the child. He knows the reputation of his kind, the rakshasa, would most likey further frighten him. He raises his tiger-like head to speak. "We most likely have little time to waste. Let us go now." His voice is deep yet melodic.
    Last edited by Ranger Mattos; 2010-08-20 at 07:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

"It is sad that this needs to be done." said Johann, sorrowful. "But I am sure we can do it."
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2010-08-19 at 07:10 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Lord Aeon's grip tightens on his great-sword. He feels empathy for the child and is infuriated at any who would dare attack children, but some questions needed answers first."Why would Drow attack a random town out of the blue? What could this small town of country bumpkins have that could possibly want?
    Last edited by Toxin605; 2010-08-22 at 01:39 AM.
    I am a

Neutral Good Human Bard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Thorgrim returns carrying his axe, and shield. "Shall we be off, I believe we have some kids to save."

Current Projects:

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

"Perhaps we should get moving. Temujin rides swiftly, and having Sariel in this room at all with that poor child's talk of walking corpses is unwise." The half-Dragon hefts his mace and his finger begins to glow slightly.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Johann gave a nod, and followed after him.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

You leave the stronghold, heading towards the nearest entry into the Underdark. The air is crisp and clear, and there are no clouds in the sky. However, the seemingly peaceful area is not without dangers. Bugbears are known to inhabit these mountains, and there are many tales of the malevolent spirits which supposedly inhabit this mountain range.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Thorgrim walks quietly, holding his axe and shield read. His mind is sharp and focused, ready for any upcoming attack. He keeps a keen watch on the path, with glimpses towards the rocks to either side. He knows how dangerous bugbears can be, and is ready to face any that he encounters.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to make sure I'm psionically focused so I can take advantage of my Focused Shield feat and/or expend it for Overchannel or another ability.

Current Projects:

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Rhakan walks in the back, silently taking in the natural beauty. However, he is also keeping watch for any rogue monsters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20+7)[6](13)
    Wouldn't a bulb only be sharp if someone broke it? Oh...wait...that's actually very fitting for this situation. Well played Ranger Mattos. Your metaphor-crafting is masterful indeed.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Cygaar walks toward the front, mace in hand. He is aware that his eyesight is awful, but he still tries to keep a watch on his surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[2] - 5 = -3. What a failure.
    Last edited by BladeofOblivion; 2010-08-26 at 05:31 PM.
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

OOC: actually remembering to make Spot (and Listen) checks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: (1d20-5)[-2]
    Listen: (1d20-5)[14]

Current Projects:

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Razor

The Cleric is silent but for the occasional scrape of metal against wood. He glances around, a devoted Traveler.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20-1)[4]
    Listen (1d20-1)[5]

Retired from active duty

It means I am rarely on this site anymore. It's been an honor serving with you all.

PEACH

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Johann paid as much attention as he could to his surroundings as he walked.

Spoiler
    Show

Spot - (1d20+3)[16]
    Listen - (1d20+3)[22]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Halfling in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot: [roll]1d20[/roll] - 1
    Listen: [roll]1d20[/roll] - 1

Broke the Darned thing. I'll roll in the OOC.

Lord Aeon leads his mule through the mountains, wary but slightly distracted.
    "I still don't understand why Sun-Haters as Thorgrim called them would just attack some town."
    Last edited by Toxin605; 2010-08-27 at 12:53 AM.
    I am a

Neutral Good Human Bard (1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 14
    Constitution- 9
    Intelligence- 14
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 12

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Johann
    Spoiler
    Show

You can hear guttural grumblings in a language that you do not understand and the soft steps of something above you. Looking up, you see the ear of a bugbear and the top of the head of a second one.

Nothing seems to be there, except your overactive imaginations.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Johann stopped still, getting his sword and shield from his back.
    "Bugbears." he said aloud.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Thorgrim's lips turn up in a snarl,
    "Where be 'ey? I'll show 'em the might of the Steel-Cleaver clan."

Spoiler
    Show
    Can I go ahead and use my Thicken Skin psionic power?

Current Projects:

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm not exactly sure." he said. "Above us, I believe..."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

At the mention of bugbears, Rhakan unsheathes his greatsword in preparation for battle. But believing that not all are evil, Rhakan utters a short prayer to see if the bugbears are enemies.
    Spoiler
    Show
    In short, Detect Evil, 2 rounds concentration.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Cygaar responds: "What? Where? I don't see anything!" He readies his mace and casts a simple enchantment upon himself.

Spoiler
    Show
    I activate Celestial Deflection. (Same as Entropic Warding, but less chaotic-sounding.)
    Extended Signature

Óla tha eínai éna.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Thorgrim
    Spoiler
    Show

You'd spend 3 power points, because it's a 2nd level psionic power for you, right? But yes, you can.

Rhakan
    Spoiler
    Show

Wherever the bugbears are, it isn't in range of your detect evil, for you see nothing.

A shimmering white field of divine energy gathers around Cygaar.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Actually Thicken Skin is a 1st level power for me all of mine are.

Current Projects:

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Razor

The Elf glances around again, this time even more focused. Uttering a prayer to Correlon, he brandishes his... bow... and shouts the warcry of the Mithranda, a dead cry lost in time - living on in Razor's heart.

" Swift, Stars, show your fires! Let my black desires show themselves! BUGBEAR! Rogue, come hither, so I can teach you some honour! " He intones, quietly.

Spoiler
    Show
    A bit o' shakespeare.

Retired from active duty

PEACH

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Thorgrim
    Spoiler
    Show

Go ahead and manifest it.

A javelin flies down from the rocks above, clattering on the ground next to Razor. (1d20+3)[4] (1d6+2)[8]
    Last edited by Ajadea; 2010-08-29 at 01:01 AM.