New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Jirou wasn't one of those people who waited well in lines. Here he was, standing before a sign which gave promises of delicious ice cream in a multitude of flavours, just a few feet ahead. And yet before him stood a battalion of people whose sole intent seemed to be focused on preventing him from reaching it. Also, behind him was an eager throng of glory seekers looking to steal his position should he waver for even a single second. Yes, surely this was a lesser manifestion of one of the many circles of-

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    "Hey!"
    No. No no no. It couldn't be. It absolutely couldn't be.

...It was.

Coming towards him was none other than the Goddess of Tokiwadai herself, Harada Rin. She was waving enthusiastically at someone nearby, and Jirou instinctively glanced around to see who it was. Strangely, he couldn't seem to see who it was...that...

She was standing in front of him. She was standing right-in-front-of-him. She was also saying something, but he couldn't make them out over the brass band that had suddenly taken up residence inside his ears. A hand was extended, and operating on pure instinct he took it. It was a nice, soft hand.

Maybe he should say something.

"Hi."
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-10-01 at 01:07 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    When Jason parted ways with Jirou after school, he hurried over to Masaki's cubicle. Hopefully the teacher was there...
    Masaki

He is indeed at his cubicle, reading yet another stack of papers--strange numbers and formulas, from what Jason can tell. Masaki looks up and puts away the papers as Jason approaches.

"Ah, Mr. Williams. Are you ready for testing?"

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Ice Cream, Current Flavor: Embarrassment

Rin giggles a little at the stunned and somewhat confused response that Jirou gave her, then turns to face forward, standing next to him as she takes another look at the ice cream stand.
    "So what flavor are you going to get?"

She looks towards him curiously, a smile still gracing her face. He doesn't quite seem to have caught up with reality, but she has no reason to think he isn't a nice and fun person so far. Maybe a little clumsy and uncertain of himself, but that's not bad, right? I mean, it wasn't like it was her fault when she plowed her way across the snow yesterday.

After a moment, she adds on to her words, trying to encourage and prompt him into talking.
    "I like peach, myself."
    Indeed, that appears to be the type of ice cream she's holding. It's melting a little bit, actually, and if she doesn't do something soon, she might have a mess on her hands.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay, this was getting surreal. One of the greatest, richest and prettiest Espers in the city was standing next to him and asking about his favourite flavour of ice cream. This had long ago passed the point of established reality, leading to only one conclusion: Somewhere on the way home he'd slipped and smashed his head against something. He was probably lying unconscious on the ground right now while some random miscreant stole his keys. Not a very comforting thought, but as far as hallucinations went this was one of the better ones.

Well, no sense in letting this go to waste. Having a happy, smiling Harada Rin who didn't think he was scum wasn't something that came along every day. Suddenly seeming a good bit less dazed, he smiled back at her and displayed his newly rediscovered ability to form a coherent sentence.

"I'm getting double chocolate. It's a nice, strong, thick flavour that stays a long time even when the ice cream's gone. I've never tried peach, but...Er, actually, you might wanna-"

He gestured slightly towards Dream Rin's rapidly dissolving cone. It was a good job none of this was real, or he'd be feeling really guilty right now for distracting her from it.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Titan in the Playground

Rin follows his gesture, looks down at her ice cream, and-

Oh no!

Seeing her ice cream attempting to make an escape, Rin swiftly remedies the situation, eating it quickly so it won't melt. The sight is probably a bit humorous, given the eagerness with which she attacks it... and then how she is affected by the cold.

With a pout, Rin raises one hand to her head, as if trying to press out the cold, though it is quite a futile effort.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ettin in the Playground

The laugh escaped from Jirou's lips before he had a chance to contain it. He couldn't help it; The sight of such an elegant and aristocratic person engaged in pitched battle against a frozen confection was just too incongruous for words. It was like seeing the Pope using his staff of office to play miniature golf. Getting his laughter under control and trying not to look at the not insignificant amount of ice cream still on Dream Rin's face, Jirou choked out a quick apology.

"Sorry, I-heh heh-I didn't mean to-ha-make fun. It's just that I never he-xpected to see a sight like that today."

A nudge in his back alerted him to the fact that the line had moved forward, and that (wonder of wonders) he was finally at the front. He wasted no time in getting his double chocolate scoop and stepping aside to join Rin on the sidelines.

"Seriously, though, are you all right? Those ice cream headaches can really ache badly."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Masaki

He is indeed at his cubicle, reading yet another stack of papers--strange numbers and formulas, from what Jason can tell. Masaki looks up and puts away the papers as Jason approaches.

"Ah, Mr. Williams. Are you ready for testing?"
    Jason nods enthuciastically.
    "Yup. Where do I start?"
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

8. - Top - End - #308
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Rooftop]

Hisagi looks down. Then he looks up.

Then he flips the hell out.

Panicking, ignoring the fact that it's the middle of the school day, he opens his phone, and hits speed dial "One".

Three guesses who Speed Dial "One" is.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Titan in the Playground

Ice Cream- Dream?

Rin blushes a little at Jirou's laughter, realizing how she must have looked. Oh dear, she was making a fool of herself again.
    "H-hey! I didn't laugh at you yesterday!"
    She protests, quickly retrieving the napkin she had wrapped around the handle of the cone, trying to remove the excess ice cream from her face.

When he returns from getting his own cone, Rin has managed to clean up her face and recompose herself, as much as Rin can be composed, at least.
    "I'm okay."
    There is still a bit of a pout on her face though.
    Last edited by AmberVael; 2010-10-02 at 11:12 AM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

By now Jirou's mind had finally given up trying to reconcile any of this and was just going along for the ride. All right, this Rin was amazingly different from the one he'd always pictured, but it was a good kind of different. The noble queen resplendent on her high throne was something to be admired from a distance, but wouldn't have been half as nice to actually meet. This one was so approachable, so pleasant, so...human.

His smile quickly became a wince at the mention of yesterday. He should have known that nobody in the cafe would have forgotten that, whether imaginary or not.

"Yeah, thanks for that. If you'd started laughing everyone would have gone right along with you, and then I'd never have lived it down. It's not like I make a habit of stuff like that; It's just that I'm not always that light on my feet, you know? Well, I guess you wouldn't know, actually..."

That was at least one thing that hadn't changed: Rin's form remained just as graceful and elegant as it always had been. She might have problems with rogue ice cream, but it was hard to imagine her falling backwards out of a leaning chair.
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-10-02 at 12:50 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

"Um..."
    Falling over in a chair doesn't seem nearly as bad as crashing into a street lamp to Rin, but she decides not to bring that up. She was embarrassed enough, after all.
    "Nope."
    Rin is a terrible liar, but moves on quickly so that Jirou likely won't get a chance to ask her about it. Finding a good bench, she takes a seat and smiles up at him.

"So, we were never really introduced. I'm Harada Rin- what's your name?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

After taking a few licks of his ice cream Jirou took a seat beside Rin, at a safely respectable distance along the bench.

"Kiyoshi Jirou. I'm a student at Onizuka, a Level 3 and...that's about it, really. Just another average guy trying to make his place in the world. This is gonna sound strange, but I still have no idea why you're talking to me at all..."

He trailed off. Despite his mind's acceptance of the situation, the earlier awkwardness had started to creep back into his manner around the edges. Now wasn't that pathetic; Even a hallucinated Rin who had bent over backwards to be welcoming and friendly still made him a little nervous.

"Come on, go with the flow, go with the flow. Just relax and enjoy it..."

13. - Top - End - #313
    Troll in the Playground

Jason nods enthuciastically.
    "Yup. Where do I start?"
    Masaki

"We start by going to the testing facility. Let's not waste time." He packs up the papers and gets ready to leave.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Jason nods and prepares to follow Masaki to wherever the testing facility is.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Ice Cream Has Run Out, How Sad

"Well, I don't really know anyone here."
    Admits Rin, watching her legs as she swings them back and forth .
    "And I get the feeling that a lot of people at my school don't want to talk to me. Not that they won't, but..."
    She frowns a little, but then looks towards Jirou and smiles.
    "You don't seem that way though. You're a lot nicer."

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

After School...

01011001011011110111010100100000011001100110111101 11010101101110011001000010000001100001011011100010 00000110010101100001011100110111010001100101011100 100010000001100101011001110110011100100001...

Cici hand was placed on a security robot. If you looked closely, you could see small spark flying off her hand into the electronic construct rapidly. She was inserting a program into it's AI to search for Catarino as a secondary program. If they found him, it would send a signal to her. The way it was made, the program would erase itself after the objective was finished.

She finished and got up. The security robot zoomed away, doing it's usual, but with a new order.

She looked over at Hajime* and said, "Well, that's done. Should we go look ourselves now?"

* If he's there, of course.

A webcomic by Sahaar and I, Shadow of Fire. Read it!

Giant in the Playground Worldbuilding Project.

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.
    Regardless of whether that was intentional or not, I think I love you.

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #317
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    After School...

01011001011011110111010100100000011001100110111101 11010101101110011001000010000001100001011011100010 00000110010101100001011100110111010001100101011100 100010000001100101011001110110011100100001...

Cici hand was placed on a security robot. If you looked closely, you could see small spark flying off her hand into the electronic construct rapidly. She was inserting a program into it's AI to search for Catarino as a secondary program. If they found him, it would send a signal to her. The way it was made, the program would erase itself after the objective was finished.

She finished and got up. The security robot zoomed away, doing it's usual, but with a new order.

She looked over at Hajime* and said, "Well, that's done. Should we go look ourselves now?"

* If he's there, of course.
    Of course Hajime was there. He makes certain to keep his word. It's a prime rule in business and in social interactions, afterall, and he would be foolish to cast it aside.

He stands there, looking about calmly, his long white hair shining in the sun. He watches as the security robot skitters off. He nods as Cici speaks of searching. "Yes, we should. It would be best that way." He then takes another scan of the surroundings. "Now, where do we start our search?"
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Moff Chumley View Post
    ...and now I'm imagine Yoda as a DJ. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracklord View Post
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Cici pointed up. "The roofs!"

She started climbing up the nearest fire escape as she explained. "See, Catarino's a traceur, or a practitioner of parkour. The first place to look would be the rooftops of the city."

Avatar by James Cameron. Or Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Oh wait, I mean Tom Siddell.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks. I just happen to be a hug Grammar Nazi at times. Sorry if it bothers you at all.

Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Orc in the Playground

Hajime silently listened as he followed her up the fire escape. He waited until she was done explaining before speaking in his usual calm, reserved voice.

"Perhaps then, a good place to look would be from a high vantage point. Perhaps we should find a high building to climb up to?"
    How is my roleplaying? Feel free to send me thoughts and/or constructive criticism.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    We've already got a perfectly rational explanation. We don't need to get Ponies involved.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

As she climbed, she replied, "Sounds like a good idea." As she got up to the flat rooftop, she looked around.

She pointed to a tall building a few buildings away. "That looks like a pretty good building. Looks like we can get there from the rooftops," she said.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #321
    Orc in the Playground

Hajime quickly followed suit on the rooftop. He looks towards the building, nodding in agreement. He then tries to find a way to get there.

But first, he looks around from where they are, making sure they aren't missing anything.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #322
    Ogre in the Playground

There's nothing notable. A stairwell into the building, a mop and a bucket, and a electric wire with a falcon sitting on it.

A falcon. While we're looking for someone who regularly talks to falcons.

Not notable at all.

The falcon is staring at the two.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-10-03 at 01:52 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #323
    Orc in the Playground

Hajime notices the falcon, and looks at it for a moment. "Cici." He takes a step towards her and faces her, pointing to the falcon on the wire. "Your brother has the ability to speak to falcons, am I right?"
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

She looks around a bit more. "Yes, but wh--"

She turns her head around and sees where he's pointing. She looks over at the falcon.

"Oh," she says. She walks over to falcon. It just stares at her. She stares back at it.

Finally, she says, "So... I think you might know my brother."

The falcon just stares at her.

"Er... Looks like me? Doesn't wear a shirt? Can talk to you guys?"

The falcon just stares at her.

"Right... so he hasn't shown up for a while now. I was wondering if you might know where he might be?"

The falcon stares at her. Suddenly, it jumps off the wire onto the rooftop. It starts walking towards the adjacent building and turns it's head to look at the two, as if expecting them to follow.

Cici looks a bit surprised. "Can't believe that worked..." she mumbles to herself. She then turns to Hajime. "Shall we, uh, follow it?" she asked him.
    Last edited by Maximum Zersk; 2010-10-03 at 02:21 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vael View Post
    Ice Cream Has Run Out, How Sad

"Well, I don't really know anyone here."
    Admits Rin, watching her legs as she swings them back and forth .
    "And I get the feeling that a lot of people at my school don't want to talk to me. Not that they won't, but..."
    She frowns a little, but then looks towards Jirou and smiles.
    "You don't seem that way though. You're a lot nicer."
    Jirou blinked. Then he blinked again. Okay, so Harada Rin (bright as the sun, pure as the dove)...was lonely. Fair enough. Go with the flow, go with the flow. Following his better self's advice for once, he gave her his best encouraging smile (which came a lot easier than usual) and shrugged in genuine self-deprecation.

"Nah, I'm not that nice; I'm just in good company right now. Speaking of which, if you ever need someone to talk to, look me up. Here, I'll give you my mobile number."

After a quick search of his pockets he extracted a torn envelope and a brand new pencil, which obligingly sharpened itself to a point under his gaze. It was one of his favourite tricks, and he always made sure to carry an unsharpened pencil just to show it off. A few seconds of hurried scribbling later he hesitantly held out the paper for Rin to take, marked with a number which was just about legible with a bit of squinting.

"It's still hard to believe that you're not swimming in friends already, but...Well, if you need one..."

26. - Top - End - #326
    Orc in the Playground

[Rooftops]

Hajime looks at the falcon as the events unfold, examining him as he moves. Hajime steps backwards to give the falcon some space as it hops onto the rooftop. When the falcon turns his head towards them, Hajime turns his head to look at Cici.

"Yes. He's our best lead at the moment." He says simply. He then turns to the falcon and nods his head, as though to say "lead on".
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Jason nods and prepares to follow Masaki to wherever the testing facility is.
    Masaki

Masaki says nothing as they make their way to the testing facility. Fortunately for Jason, the disturbingly quiet walk is quite short.

"Here we are."

The testing facility is buzzing with activity. A dozen or so students wearing Onizuka uniforms, and some wearing uniforms that Jason doesn't recognize, mill about the lobby accompanied by scientific-looking folks with labcoats.

Beyond the lobby is a big hallway, presumably leading to the actual testing facilities. Students and scientists enter and exit the facility. Jason might notice that some of those who are leaving seem quite elated; others seem terribly disappointed.

Masaki deals with some registration business, and soon they are on their way down the hall. It's not long until they reach a reserved testing facility, wherein await two scientists and some fancy-looking machinery.

"Here we are."

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

"Great sooo..."
    He faulters, trying to think of the right words.
    "Wh...what do I need to do?"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Troll in the Playground

"Great sooo..."
    He faulters, trying to think of the right words.
    "Wh...what do I need to do?"
    Testing Facility

One of the other scientists step up, a portly, balding man with glasses and a mustache.

"Hello there! You're Mr., ah," he glances down at his notepad then back up, "Mr. Williams, yes? Here to be tested for AIM Field Manipulation aptitude?"

Not even bothering to wait for Jasaon to reply, he grabs Jason and pulls him over to one of the machines. "Here, sit down, sit down..."

And so the testing begins.

Spoiler
    Show
    Silver, have you thought up of a power for Jason yet?

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Rooftops of Academy City

Quote Originally Posted by InyutheBeatIs View Post
    [Rooftops]

Hajime looks at the falcon as the events unfold, examining him as he moves. Hajime steps backwards to give the falcon some space as it hops onto the rooftop. When the falcon turns his head towards them, Hajime turns his head to look at Cici.

"Yes. He's our best lead at the moment." He says simply. He then turns to the falcon and nods his head, as though to say "lead on".
    The falcon seems to do a quick, nodding movement. Then, it turns around and and starts walking.

The falcon guides them across the maze-like rooftops and alleys, until it finally brings them to a small alley a block away from the event last night. The falcon stops suddenly and flies up to a power-wire above. Lying in the middle of the street was a necklace.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show