New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Quote Originally Posted by Anyr View Post
    "[It's about those killbots that were throwing their weight around yesterday. You hear about those yet? I thought everyone'd be talking about them, but it's been pretty low key so far. Anyway, one of them jumped me in an alley and gave me some trouble, so now I'm trying to find the guys who sent it. Got any ideas?]"

Jirou wasn't really expecting much from his new acquaintance, but there was no harm in asking. Besides, it gave him something to do besides moping in dark corners.
    Jason pauses for a second, thinking.

"[Killbots? Sorry, I don't have any idea what you're talking about. And I really don't know anybody in the city yet. But my mom is working on Advance rebotics research for the city. She might be able to give you more information.]"
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ettin in the Playground

There was a slight pause at the other end of the line so as to allow Jirou's mind to absorb this development.

"Kiyoshi Jirou, we'll make a detective out of you yet. I bet even the pros have trouble tracking down a high-class robot wrangler on the first call. Must be that killer instinct that they always talk about in the books..."

With this revelation Jirou's faith in his own methods was restored. Clearly he must have been doing something right to get such a lead so early in the day. Some cynical people might have called it a fluke, but he knew better; After all, it was he who'd befriended Jason just the previous day. Obviously his keen intellect had discerned the boy's family ties from some small clue and stored it subconsciously for future reference.

"[Jason, you've just saved me a whole lot of time and effort. I'm gonna text you the details of the robot, along with a weird symbol I found on it; Next time you see your expert, could you pass it along?]"

3. - Top - End - #543
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lillith View Post
    <Jane, Level... three I think they said.> She looked at Cale. Trying to get a reading on him. <Did you just say those kind of things happen often here? What kind of place is this?>
    <Why, This is Acadamy City, The greatest research center in psionic ability's on earth. But don't worry, robots like that aren't very commonplace things to see, its just that most people know that they should either walk away and ignore it, or join the battle, seeing as strange things happen a lot.

It's not just that advanced robotics like those around here can go rampant, it's also the fire-flinging fistfightiers and teleporting thief teams. If you mix that up with the numerous skill-outs that hang out in the city, you can see why most people quickly grow a somebody else's problem syndrom.>

Cale found that he couldn't really stop rambling about, which meant that either he was starting to like this mysterious girl, or something else was happening.

<Oh and if you're a level three esper, how come you were scared of a silly little robot, what's your power anyways? talking with fish?>

4. - Top - End - #544
    Titan in the Playground

There was a slight pause at the other end of the line so as to allow Jirou's mind to absorb this development.

"Kiyoshi Jirou, we'll make a detective out of you yet. I bet even the pros have trouble tracking down a high-class robot wrangler on the first call. Must be that killer instinct that they always talk about in the books..."

With this revelation Jirou's faith in his own methods was restored. Clearly he must have been doing something right to get such a lead so early in the day. Some cynical people might have called it a fluke, but he knew better; After all, it was he who'd befriended Jason just the previous day. Obviously his keen intellect had discerned the boy's family ties from some small clue and stored it subconsciously for future reference.

"[Jason, you've just saved me a whole lot of time and effort. I'm gonna text you the details of the robot, along with a weird symbol I found on it; Next time you see your expert, could you pass it along?]"
    "[Uhhh... Okay? If you mean my mom, sure. But why? Why not send it to Anti-skill? My dad is recruited with them. He'll listen.]"

5. - Top - End - #545
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rhydeble View Post
    [COLOR="Blue"]

<Oh and if you're a level three esper, how come you were scared of a silly little robot, what's your power anyways? talking with fish?>
    Jane's face turned red and she stared to the ground. Her powers weren't that flashy at all. On one hand she didn't really want to tell her powers to just someone random, but chances were that people would know sooner or later so it might as well be because she was the one doing the exposure. Not the one being exposed.

<Uhm... no. I kind of... read peoples minds...> The last words came out as a whisper.
    (Christmas) Lillith Avatar by Serpetine
    Psylock Lillith Avatar by Bradakhan
    Ceras Lillith Avatar by Araveugnitsuga

6. - Top - End - #546
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    "[Uhhh... Okay? If you mean my mom, sure. But why? Why not send it to Anti-skill? My dad is recruited with them. He'll listen.]"
    This time there was no long pause; Jirou's reaction was instantaneous.

"[No no no, there's no need for that. The Antis are overworked enough as it is; They won't want us bothering them with something minor like this. Let's just keep things low-key for now, okay?]"

Just when things seemed to be going smoothly something like this came along to add a new complication. The last thing he needed right now was Anti-Skill getting involved. Those selfish elitists would take the whole thing over in an instant, and Jirou would be left in the cold as usual. This was his chance to shine, and he wasn't about to let them swoop in and take all the credit.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

Jason blinked confusedly.

"[Something minor as this? Whatever. Nevermind. Anyways, remember the tests I did yesterday? Turns out I have the potential to become an esper to. Isn't that great? I'll be just like you.]"
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-11-19 at 03:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #548
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane's face turned red and she stared to the ground. Her powers weren't that flashy at all. On one hand she didn't really want to tell her powers to just someone random, but chances were that people would know sooner or later so it might as well be because she was the one doing the exposure. Not the one being exposed.

<Uhm... no. I kind of... read peoples minds...> The last words came out as a whisper.
    <Whoa!, You can actually read people's minds? Do you have any idea of how neat that is? people'd kill for a power like that, but anyway, if you're a mindreader, why didn't you just read that robot's mind?>

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Jason blinked confusedly.

"[Something minor as this? Whatever. Nevermind. Anyways, remember the tests I did yesterday? Turns out I have the potential to become an esper to. Isn't that great? I'll be just like you.]"
    "[Ha, nobody in the whole world is just like me. But anyway, congratulations! Don't start buying the champagne yet, though, because there's a lot of hard work around the corner. Academy City is full of drop-outs who thought the Program was an easy ticket to stardom.]"

Despite the cautionary words, there was genuine happiness in Jirou's voice as he congratulated Jason. After building up his hopes so much yesterday, it would have been heartbreaking to see them crushed so soon. Of course, the fact that it was also a great way to steer the subject away from Anti-Skill didn't hurt either.

10. - Top - End - #550

<Whoa!, You can actually read people's minds? Do you have any idea of how neat that is? people'd kill for a power like that, but anyway, if you're a mindreader, why didn't you just read that robot's mind?>
    <Well, human minds are different then robot minds. Technically robots don't even have minds so they're programmed and don't think. They're not sentient so to speak. Humans on the other hand think in words, or images, or both. So when I'd focus on a human I'd pick up on those. With robots I don't get anything, so I can't really do anything with them.> Jane smiled weakly. <It's not really such a great power. When I first had it I heard voices all. the time. I can ignore them now but I pretty much have a constant background noise in my head. And sometimes I pick up emotions too.>

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

"[Ha, nobody in the whole world is just like me. But anyway, congratulations! Don't start buying the champagne yet, though, because there's a lot of hard work around the corner. Academy City is full of drop-outs who thought the Program was an easy ticket to stardom.]"

Despite the cautionary words, there was genuine happiness in Jirou's voice as he congratulated Jason. After building up his hopes so much yesterday, it would have been heartbreaking to see them crushed so soon. Of course, the fact that it was also a great way to steer the subject away from Anti-Skill didn't hurt either.
    Jason smiles.

"[Don't worry. Once I set my mind on something, I don't quit. Though I wish I knew what my esper power is. I have to wait until monday atleast.]"

Jason sighs. To be so close yet separated by so much time. He could dissolve that time in an instant if he had his laptop atleast.

12. - Top - End - #552
    Ettin in the Playground

"[Yeah, the suspense is the worst part. There's always that voice in the back of your head telling you that your power's gonna be totally useless. Can you imagine going through all that effort and then ending up with...I dunno, talking to birds or something...as your power?

That's gotta be why so many people learn faster after they reach Level 1: It's because they finally know what they're gonna be getting from all the work.]
    "
    Last edited by Anyr; 2010-11-19 at 08:07 PM.

13. - Top - End - #553
    Titan in the Playground

"[Alright, cool. So is there anything else?]"

14. - Top - End - #554
    Ettin in the Playground

"[No, at least not until you've heard back from your robot wrangler. Call me as soon as you get any leads!]"

With that Jirou hung up, his good mood fully restored. A lot had been accomplished during that short conversation, with the promise of more to come; So much so, in fact, that any further detective work didn't seem particularly necessary any more. Having brilliantly set the investigative wheels in motion, Jirou felt secure in resting on his laurels for a while and indulging in a bit of leisure. Perhaps a stroll down to the nearest Mahjong parlour was in order...

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Jason hangs up his cell phone and then turns around. He then looks back at the chocolate before his cell phone rings again. He rolls his eyes amused before anwsering the phone without even looking at it.

"[What? Did you remember someth-]"

"[Jason, no chocolate. Don't even think about getting any!]"

Jason freezes in his place.

"[M-mom?!]"

"[You heard me young man. No chocloate.]"

Jason drops the cell phone, still frozen in place. How did she know? She had to be an esper too. It was the only way she could've known what he was doing.

Sighing, he bent down and picked up his cell phone and after ending the call, he left the pastery, defeated.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Dwarf in the Playground

<Well, human minds are different then robot minds. Technically robots don't even have minds so they're programmed and don't think. They're not sentient so to speak. Humans on the other hand think in words, or images, or both. So when I'd focus on a human I'd pick up on those. With robots I don't get anything, so I can't really do anything with them.> Jane smiled weakly. <It's not really such a great power. When I first had it I heard voices all. the time. I can ignore them now but I pretty much have a constant background noise in my head. And sometimes I pick up emotions too.>
    <Ahh so it doesn't work on robots... I feel silly now...

That still doesn't explain why you aren't wearing a tux in a black&white movie, your power could be really useful in finding the idiot that made me do actual physical exercise. Oh and of course you also made you afraid, we should totally track him down, together.>

Now if only the chase would get a little scary and she'd grab him in fear of something. This was going to be a better saturday then Cale had expected.
    Last edited by Rhydeble; 2010-11-20 at 05:53 AM.

17. - Top - End - #557

<Ahh so it doesn't work on robots... I feel silly now...

That still doesn't explain why you aren't wearing a tux in a black&white movie, your power could be really useful in finding the idiot that made me do actual physical exercise. Oh and of course you also made you afraid, we should totally track him down, together.>

Now if only the chase would get a little scary and she'd grab him in fear of something. This was going to be a better saturday then Cale had expected.
    Jane stared at Cale for a bit. People over here sure loved to have adventures and use their own powers. She wondered if all ESPers were like that. <Isn't a bit rude to just read random people's minds?> Jane eventually asked him. <I mean, it's kind of invading their privacy and all that.> She paused for a second. Might as well ask him. <And... are all ESPers adventure seekers? The ones that I've met don't seem to shun down from a fight.>

18. - Top - End - #558
    Dwarf in the Playground

Jane stared at Cale for a bit. People over here sure loved to have adventures and use their own powers. She wondered if all ESPers were like that. <Isn't a bit rude to just read random people's minds?> Jane eventually asked him. <I mean, it's kind of invading their privacy and all that.> She paused for a second. Might as well ask him. <And... are all ESPers adventure seekers? The ones that I've met don't seem to shun down from a fight.>
    <well, The question is wether or not it'd be rude to read the mind of someone who tried to kill you with a robot.> Cale answered.
    <And about the adventuring thing... I geuss everyone would do that if it meant spending time with a girl as pretty as you are>, Cale continued, blissfully unaware of his slip of the tongue, for he didn't mean to tell her that just yet.

19. - Top - End - #559

<well, The question is wether or not it'd be rude to read the mind of someone who tried to kill you with a robot.> Cale answered.
    <And about the adventuring thing... I geuss everyone would do that if it meant spending time with a girl as pretty as you are>, Cale continued, blissfully unaware of his slip of the tongue, for he didn't mean to tell her that just yet.
    Jane's eyes turned wide and her face turned a very deep shade of red. A sensation of panic crept up, no guy had ever said something like that to her. How should she respond? What should she say? Did he mean it? Questions, questions, panic, calming down, more panic.

<Uh... why... I uh... uhm...> She stuttered. Why would a guy even say that to her? Suddenly she seemed a lot more confident, though everybody could see it was a facade. <Uh well... uhm... I guess it would be safer for the city as a whole if we find out who send in those robots! Can't have a murder spree around! Hehehe...hehe...he> On her face was a grin, but Jane was beating herself up in her mind, she must look like an utter fool right now, laughing about nothing. Where was a killer robot to break this awkward moment when she needed one?
    Last edited by Lillith; 2010-11-20 at 01:36 PM.

20. - Top - End - #560
    Ettin in the Playground

As if in answer to Jane's silent prayer, her vision was suddenly blocked by a solid mass. All the homicidal droids were apparently busy elsewhere, but in their absence Kiyoshi Jirou was a fairly solid conversation stopper. He walked between the two students with all the grace and finesse of a rampaging rhino, filling the gap between them almost completely. Not that he bore any hostile intent towards them; It was just that this was the most direct route to the Mahjong parlour and he didn't feel like changing course. He did at least do them the courtesy of speaking in English as he went past, though, because that's what they'd been speaking as he approached; Never let it be said that he didn't have some sensitivity.

"[Out of the way, lovebirds. There's time waiting to be wasted!]"

He elbowed his way through the two with barely a glance at either of them. As soon as they left his sight they were already forgotten; There was Mahjong on the horizon.

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ettin in the Playground

FRIDAY NIGHT

By some stroke of luck, Shelley catches the right train after all. She squeezes into the theater at the very end of the previews. I say, "squeezes," but the theater is mostly empty and she ends up in the good seats with the rest of the A/V club. She puts on her thick headphones to prevent explosion-induced headaches, and only the occasional yawn or gasp distracts from the cheesy dialogue of Meat Punchbeef and Goth Limpneck.

That is, until they get to the credits. Amidst the talking, laughing, and the murmur from the lobby, someone props the exit door open and Shelley hears something interesting. She takes off her headphones and tries to make it out...

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Warehouse

Catarino uses [a thug] as a springboard and launches himself out of the window. He grabs the ledge and climbs, sometimes jumping, down. Once he reaches the ground, he dashes off, jumping and ducking around obstacles.

...the thugs try (and fail) to bullrush their way through the various knickknacks in the warehouse.
    She gets up and approaches the exit door to be sure...

[Catarino] makes it to the door with no problems and, as far as he can tell, no pursuers immediately behind him.

"Damn it, get him! GET HIM!"
    "Hey, do you think that they'll let me refill my drink on the way out?"

Argh. Loud friend is loud.

*SLUUUURRk-k-k-k--k--k*

"I think the real question is, 'will they NOTICE you refilling your drink on the way out.' Hey, Shelley, are you okay? What's going on over there?"

"I'm not sure," she says, squinting into the darkness. "I think there's a break-in across the street or something..."
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2010-11-20 at 05:50 PM.

22. - Top - End - #562
    Dwarf in the Playground

As if in answer to Jane's silent prayer, her vision was suddenly blocked by a solid mass. All the homicidal droids were apparently busy elsewhere, but in their absence Kiyoshi Jirou was a fairly solid conversation stopper. He walked between the two students with all the grace and finesse of a rampaging rhino, filling the gap between them almost completely. Not that he bore any hostile intent towards them; It was just that this was the most direct route to the Mahjong parlour and he didn't feel like changing course. He did at least do them the courtesy of speaking in English as he went past, though, because that's what they'd been speaking as he approached; Never let it be said that he didn't have some sensitivity.

"[Out of the way, lovebirds. There's time waiting to be wasted!]"

He elbowed his way through the two with barely a glance at either of them. As soon as they left his sight they were already forgotten; There was Mahjong on the horizon.
    Realizing what He just said to Jane, Cale started getting embarassed.

and then, all of a sudden, some idiot walked right through their conversation. Not only that, he had been listening, seeing how he was speaking english tot hem as well.

Luckily, stopping someone walking away from him his specialty after all. Cale Formed a solid Bar of air slightly above ankle height before the impolite interrupter, and called out to him in Japanese.
    How about you stop right there and apologize to her?

If the delinquent stopped, he'd be alright, If he walked on, his face would soon meet the pavement.
    Last edited by Rhydeble; 2010-11-20 at 06:14 PM.

23. - Top - End - #563

The sudden interruption had come as quite a relief for Jane. This put an end to wherever this conversation had let too and she wasn't sure she would have been able to come out of it without completely making a fool of herself.

Cale however seemed to respond quite differently to the interrupter, which didn't really surprise her. The guy did act a bit rude. She looked at Cale and said quietly:
    <He doesn't have to apologize, really.>

24. - Top - End - #564
    Ettin in the Playground

Some people might have called Cale's little test a clever example of justice in action. Others would label it nothing more than a cruel practical joke. Jirou himself would no doubt have found it very funny if he hadn't been slated to play the victim. Unfortunately it was also a test with two major flaws, because:

A) Jirou hadn't actually heard what Cale said when he called, and

B) Even if he had stopped, it would purely have been to hurl a few more insults.

So yes, Jirou was basically doomed from the start on this one. On the plus side, his face did make a very satisfying sound when it hit the pavement.

"...Ouch."

25. - Top - End - #565
    Dwarf in the Playground

I told you to apologize didn't I? Cale said tot he fallen delinquent, only barely resisting the urge to place another plate of air right above his head.

How about I give you another way to make it up to her, you help us track down the robotic overlord, and I forgive you.

If the young man accepted, it would be nice, they'd have a wizard (jane), a ranged attacker (Cale) and a meatshield/redshirt (mister face-floor)

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ettin in the Playground

Jirou got to his feet with a tired familiarity that hinted at how often he'd been in this position. At least this time it was from misadventure rather than someone trying to kill him. It was just his luck to trip over something right as he went past some annoying little squirt. Especially since this particular squirt, as it turned out, was apparently a complete lunatic. What sort of person recruited random people they met on the street to hunt robots with them?

Rather than trying to address this clear madman, Jirou instead directed his speech towards the much saner (and prettier) looking girl who was with him.

"Hey, what sort of line is your boyfriend trying to shoot here? If I were you I'd tell him to back off before-Say, don't I know you from somewhere?"

"Well waddayaknow. It's one of the fence trio! Seems like I've been up to my ears in Tokiwadai girls lately..."

27. - Top - End - #567

"He's not my boyfriend." Jane said flustered, but not in a tone that would suggest she was offended by the statement. It was more of a calm statement of fact. Her eyes narrowed, this guy was rubbing her the wrong way. She had the feeling of having to be cautious around him. "I just met him and I don't believe I've met you before."

28. - Top - End - #568
    Ettin in the Playground

"He's not my boyfriend." Jane said flustered, but not in a tone that would suggest she was offended by the statement. It was more of a calm statement of fact. Her eyes narrowed, this guy was rubbing her the wrong way. She had the feeling of having to be cautious around him. "I just met him and I don't believe I've met you before."
    Jirou did at least have the decency to look abashed in the face of Jane's stare. He didn't like the way those piercing eyes of hers felt on him one bit, and his dormant conscience was starting to squirm under their gaze. After all, she certainly hadn't done anything to warrant his harsh treatment, and in many ways he'd behaved very badly; It hadn't been at all fair to take out his anger on this girl when her idiotic friend was the sole cause of it. As such, he put on his best sheepish grin and gave her an apologetic tilt of the head.

"Sorry, sorry, my mistake. There I go again, jumping in headfirst without thinking. I should've known that a girl like you wouldn't have a moron like him as a boyfriend, and I'm sorry for insulting you by suggesting it. Oh yeah, and sorry for thinking we'd met before; It's the uniforms, you know? All look the same from a distance."

"It's definitely her, no mistake. She looks much nicer at close range, aside from the eyes; Good smell as well. Not that she'd have anything to do with me, of course. Somehow I always end up scaring the nice ones away..."

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum Zersk View Post
    Cici quickly tries to finish reprogramming it.

Almost, almost... there!

She finishes. The robot should stop moving now.
    Friday

Cici's Apartment

Indeed, the killbot's buzzsaw and engine come to a complete halt. In the distance, Cici and Katsu can hear police sirens.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

@ Zersk:

Repost:

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Gunsforhands View Post
    FRIDAY NIGHT

By some stroke of luck, Shelley catches the right train after all. She squeezes into the theater at the very end of the previews. I say, "squeezes," but the theater is mostly empty and she ends up in the good seats with the rest of the A/V club. She puts on her thick headphones to prevent explosion-induced headaches, and only the occasional yawn or gasp distracts from the cheesy dialogue of Meat Punchbeef and Goth Limpneck.

That is, until they get to the credits. Amidst the talking, laughing, and the murmur from the lobby, someone props the exit door open and Shelley hears something interesting. She takes off her headphones and tries to make it out...

She gets up and approaches the exit door to be sure...

"Hey, do you think that they'll let me refill my drink on the way out?"

Argh. Loud friend is loud.

*SLUUUURRk-k-k-k--k--k*

"I think the real question is, 'will they NOTICE you refilling your drink on the way out.' Hey, Shelley, are you okay? What's going on over there?"

"I'm not sure," she says, squinting into the darkness. "I think there's a break-in across the street or something..."

-----------------------------------------------------

Anti-Skill Precincts

The questioning by the Anti-Skill goes without incident. They ask for basic personal information, what they saw, and what the did at the scene of the crime.

-----------------------------------------------------

Saturday

Masaki

No rest for the weary, as they say. Not even weekends are times off for Academy City researchers, and especially not for teachers.

Masaki sets down the phone, a hint of annoyance in his eyes.

"Hmph. So meet with Williams today. Don't know how they pulled up his schedule so quickly when they haven't even figured out how to fund my own project since October."

Then he remembers that he can't remember Jason's number...perhaps it's in his office?

He grabs his coat and heads out.

30. - Top - End - #570
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [Rail IC] Academy City

Cici's Apartment, Friday

Katsu looks from Cici to the robot and back a few times

"Did you stop it?"

-He asks, now standing right next to her.

"How did you do it? Are you a robot-whisperer?"

He asks excitedly, which wouldn't be so bad if he weren't three inches from her face. He really should stop doing that.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.