New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: The Omnomnomicon (3.5 Food System)

I just thought of something. What about the brain of a high level psion or the blood of a high level sorcerer? Both are naturally infused with innate energy. Also, their are cultures that thought that ritually consuming a worthy foe would grant them spiritual power, any ideas for that?
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Firbolg in the Playground

That will be the entire focus of the anthropophage class, actually. Consuming humanoids/monstrous humanoids/sentient brains to gain their knowledge, their magic, their abilities.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

Have you considered adding their appearance to that list.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If the line between genius and madness is so thin...

Then why do so few in this day and age toe said line?

Thanks to Bongos for the v-13 avvie!

I think the lesson that we can take away from this is that tentacles solve everything, and if you have a problem, then you just need more tentacles. - seadragonknight of the BG boards.

4. - Top - End - #94

Oooh, interesting, I didn't think of that.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95

I added some pictures for the classes. I haven't made any real new DISHES, but I'm almost done with the new list including all the new cuts from each monster.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96

First: I'm reviving this with permission, so, please, no 'thread necro' shouting.

Second: I was kinda in a rough spot of my life for a while, so things like the Omnomnomicon, awesome as it is, got put on hold, for much longer than I'd expected they would.

Third: With time, however, comes distance, and with distance can sometimes come new insight. And so, I present to you the completed, updated dish list, complete with cuts and a brief description of what each dish does, as well as an alphabetical list for easy reference. I also added two more PrCs to the to-do list, the Brewer and the Heavyweight. And finally, I found a good picture for the Phage. So, with the concepts all nailed down, I'm NOW going to get started on the fleshing out of this potentially awesome system.

Let the fun part begin!
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Okay, then, I can deal with silence. I suppose I didn't give you anything crunchy to chew on...

Well, if you want crunch, you shall have it! I present the first five dishes, ready for critique/review.

Aboleth Brain
    Spoiler
    Show
    Aboleth Brain
    Minimum Ranks: 12
    Cut: Head
    Servings: 1
    Cook DC: 28
    Augment: Yes
    Ingredient Creatures: Aboleth

The aboleth brain is a complicated feast of five parts. The frontal lobe, studded with thousands of hornlike protrusions. The primary lobe, a complex net of tangled tendrils. The ventral lobe, four fingerlike extensions from the bottom of the brain. The dorsal lobe, covered with fine tendrils that twitch even in death. The rear lobe, six tendril-like branches from the dorsal lobe.

The Aboleth Brain grants the eater a +10 bonus to all knowledge checks as you tap into the racial memory of the aboleth. In addition, the eater gains a fraction of the aboleth’s psionic power. He gains the following psionic abilities: 2/Day: Dominate Person, Mirage Arcana, Persistant Image, Veil.

Augment:
    For every 5 points the cook beats the DC by, he gains one additional use/day of the psionic abilities.

Ankeg Stomach
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ankeg Stomach
    Minimum Ranks: 6
    Cut: Brisket/Rump
    Cook DC: DC 20
    Ingredient Creatures: Ankeg

This dish consists of the stomach of an Ankeg, emptied out and then stuffed with a number of it‘s other organs, finely minced and mixed with root vegetables and a number of spices. Despite how unappetizing it sounds, it has a delicious savory flavor, though some complain of heartburn afterwards.

The Ankeg Stomach gives the eater the ability to spit acid as a ranged touch attack and deal acid damage with a bite attack. If the eater possesses a bite attack, any time the eater hits with this attack, it deals an additional 1d4 points of acid damage. As a standard action he can also hock up a mouthful of acid and spit it in a searing glob a single opponent within 30 feet. If the attack hits, the target takes 2d4 damage, plus an addition 1d4 acid damage each round thereafter for three rounds. After using the acid spit attack, the eater cannot use it again for one minute, and during this time he does not deal acid damage with a successful bite.

Augment:
    For every 5 points the cook beats the DC by, the spit damage is increased by 1d4, and for every 10 points, the lingering damage after the spit and the damage dealt with each bite increases by 1d4.

Ape Strips
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ape Strips
    Minimum Ranks: 4
    Cut: Arms
    Servings: 4
    Cook DC: 15
    Ingredient Creatures: Ape, Baboon, Dire Ape, Monkey

This dish is prepared by using portions of the bicep and forearm that don‘t touch either bone or skin. The strips are then dipped in a breading mixture and deep fried. The meat has a tough consistency, but is surprisingly flavorful.

Ape Strips grant the eater the eater the ability to climb with monkey-like ease. The eater gains a climb speed of 20 feet. He gains a +8 racial bonus on climb checks and can always choose to take 10 on a climb check, even if rushed or threatened.

Augment:
    For every 5 points the cook beats the DC by, the granted climb speed increases by 5 feet.

Assassin Wine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assassin Wine
    Cook DC: DC 20
    Ingredient Creatures: Assassin Vine

Assassin Wine is brewed out of the bitter, grape-like fruits of the Assassin Vine. It is a strong, heady beverage with a strong kick.

The eater of assassin wine gains blindsense out to 30 feet, using a combination of sound, scent, and vibrational cues. If the eater chooses to close his eyes and rely entirely on the blindsense, either because he cannot use his eyes or because he chooses not to, his blindsense instead becomes blindsight.

Augment:
    For every 10 points you beat the DC by, the range of your blindsense increases by 5 feet.

Athach Strips
    Spoiler
    Show
    Athach Strips
    Minimum Ranks: 11
    Cut: Arm
    Servings: 3
    Augment: No
    Ingredient Creatures: Athach

This dish is prepared by using portions of the Athach’s bicep and forearm that don‘t touch either bone or skin. The strips are then dipped in a breading mixture and deep fried. They have a tough texture to them, and their flavor is relatively gamey. They are quite difficult to make palatable, usually requiring the aid of a strong sauce or a dose of spices.

The eater of the Athach strips gains a third arm, protruding from the center of their chest. This arm is identical to the eater’s other arms. If the wielder has the two-weapon fighting feat, he is treated as having the multiweapon fighting feat as well.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm going to have to review the whole thread now, but it's good to see you're back up.

I have to admit, though, the assassin wine sounds tasty.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

In a posh accent*: "I think I'll have the Nymph Breast, with a side of ooze sauce (from the rump of a Gelatinous cube?! why not? ). And for the lady a Unicorn Heart with a glass of Assassin Wine".. So what if she's a paladin, everyone has to try the heart of a unicorn atleast once right, and it's not like I'm paying for a seared steak of the Tarrasque!?! Oh you farm them locally, well then why not?

10. - Top - End - #100

Quote Originally Posted by Elyk View Post
    In a posh accent*: "I think I'll have the Nymph Breast, with a side of ooze sauce (from the rump of a Gelatinous cube?! why not? ). And for the lady a Unicorn Heart with a glass of Assassin Wine".. So what if she's a paladin, everyone has to try the heart of a unicorn atleast once right, and it's not like I'm paying for a seared steak of the Tarrasque!?! Oh you farm them locally, well then why not?
    Evil gourmand would, most likely, sound exactly like that.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #101
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

I kinda feel bad about the fact that I consider the dishes here appetizing.

Awesome. Please continue.
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-10-27 at 09:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Second: I was kinda in a rough spot of my life for a while, so things like the Omnomnomicon, awesome as it is, got put on hold, for much longer than I'd expected they would.
    Hey man, it's okay. We've all got our briar patches. Glad to see that you're back up on your feet, though.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    I kinda feel bad about the fact that I consider the dishes here appetizing.

Awesome. Please continue.
    I'm glad to hear you approve.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    Hey man, it's okay. We've all got our briar patches. Glad to see that you're back up on your feet, though.
    Trust me, we're BOTH glad that nasty business is taken care of.

And now, I'm going to go to bed, but I'm going to provide you all with some more crunchy bits! Another five dishes!

Baked Spinnerets
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baked Spinneretes
    Minimum Ranks:4
    Ingredient Creatures: Monstrous Spider, Phase Spider

This dish consists of the severed spinneret of a giant spider, drizzled with sticky, sugary syrup and baked thoroughly. The dish is surprisingly sweet and sticky, beneath a warm, crunchy shell. Some don‘t enjoy it, however, due to the tendency for the now-liquefied core of the spinnerets to stick to the eater‘s lips.

Baked Spinnerets give the eater the ability to spin webs. The eater can spin up to 50 feet of silken webbing per day. This webbing functions as silk rope, but the eater gains a +5 bonus to all use rope checks made using his webbing, and the DC of all checks made to escape from or break this webbing are increased by 4.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the eater can produce an additional 5 feet of silk each day.

Basilisk Eyes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Basilisk Eyes
    Minimum Ranks: 8
    Cook DC: 26
    Ingredient Creatures: Basilisk, Abbysal Greater Basilisk

This dish is composed of the eyes and optic nerves of a basilisk. It‘s not particularly filling, and requires a strong stomach to pop an intact eye into one‘s mouth. If you or your guests really have a problem with seeing the eyes themselves, you can bread them.

The eater of the Basilisk eyes can take a swift action each round to fix a single opponent within 30 feet with a petrifying gaze. The opponent must make a fortitude save (DC 10+½ Chef level+Wis) or be turned to stone, as with the stone to flesh spell. An opponent that successfully saves against this effect cannot be affected by this ability for 24 hours.

Behir Brisket
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behir Brisket
    Minimum Ranks: 11
    Servings: 6
    Ingredient Creatures:

This dish is a huge tray of sliced meat. The meat has a slightly unusual blue color, but it has a rich, smoky flavor to it. The dish is prepared with the help of a rich spice rub and then smoking it.

The eater of a Behir Brisket sprouts six short arms from their abdomen, each tipped with sharp claws. The claws are not very strong and not very dexterous, but they can be quite dangerous in a grapple. He can make six rake attacks that deal 1d4 damage apiece, plus one-half the characters strength modifier.

Big T Carapace Cookies
    Spoiler
    Show
    Big T Carapace
    Minimum Ranks: 23
    Cut: Shoulder
    Servings: 12
    Cook DC: 43
    Ingredient Creatures: Tarrasque

This dish is composed of the diamond-hard shell of the Tarrasque, ground down to powder, then formed into a dough-like substance and formed into cookies reminiscent of the tarrasque‘s armored back. The cookies are positively mouth-watering, and have inspired a wide array of imitations.

The eater of Big T Carapace Cookies gains spell resistance equal to 10+ the cook’s ranks in the cooking skill. In addition, any spell that fails to penetrate the eater’s spell resistance is rebounded against the caster, as though by a spell reflection effect. The eater’s skin takes on a metallic, bronze sheen while under the effects of this dish.

Bitter Venom Shake
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bitter Venom Shake
    Ingredient Creatures: Snake, Aranea, Phase Spider, Giant Centipede, Giant Spider

This shake is a minty green color. The shake is made out of the diluted venom harvested out the fangs of a monster. It has a sharp, almost bitter flavor to it, but the sugar and cream added to it help mellow the texture and sweeten the mix.

The eater of the Bitter Venom shake Gains a bite attack that deals 1d4 damage plus the characters strength modifier. In addition, a creature hit by the eater’s bite attack must make a fortitude save (DC 10+½ cook’s level+Wis) or be poisoned (Initial and secondary 1d6 strength or dex, or 1d4 con, chosen at the cooking)

Augment:
    For every 10 point you beat the DC by, the poison‘s damage increases by one die size.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-10-29 at 12:15 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104

Big T Carapace is the most epic cookie idea ever.

15. - Top - End - #105

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    Big T Carapace is the most epic cookie idea ever.
    Isn't it just? I'm so proud.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

This is great. One of the more fun parts of one of my favorite video games (Star Ocean: the Second Story) allowed you to cook ingredients into dishes and consume them for healing, MP recovery, and additional effects.

So anyway, where are the dishes that provide healing? Might that be a class feature for our Gourmand class?

The Predator gaining a Bite attack that deals ability damage is not overpowered in the least. Rogues can deal out 2 Str damage every time they hit with sneak attack starting at level 10. At that level the Rogue's got at least four attacks per round. Giving the Predator the ability to deal 2 Constitution damage if he hits, once per round, seems fine to me. I really like the idea of the Predator attempting to eat his prey in mid combat in fact. Awesome flavor (pun intended). Balance out the benefits added to the Predator's Bite throughout the 20 levels with level-appropriate abilities and it should be fine.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

17. - Top - End - #107

Well, they were both going to have something that heals, actually. The Gourmand was going to offer morale bonuses and some healing to people who eat his food (including himself), and the predator's bite was going to gain an ability that healed him each time he bit.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Library Lovers Contest Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Eating Nymphs?!!!

I think I'm going to be ill....
    Now, you don't get sickened by eating nymphs, you get teleportitis. Oh, wait... that's Nethack, not D&D.

My Homebrew
    Gronk by dallas-dakota

19. - Top - End - #109

On the subject of being sickened, I've found a marvelous example of a evil gourmand:

Spoiler
    Show

I particularly like his menu: 'Xenophage: Morally Indefensible Fine Dining'.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110

A couple more dishes to whet your appetites!

I'd honestly like some critique on all these dishes. Are the DCs too high? Too low? Are the effects balanced for the level you get them? Do they augment effectively to stay relevant?

Blinking Breast
    Spoiler
    Show
    Blinking Breast
    Minimum Ranks: 5
    Cut: Breast/Bacon
    Cook DC: 18
    Ingredient Creatures: Blink Dog

This dish has a tough texture, with not a lot of flavor to it. A cook must be careful when butchering this cut, as this muscle has a tendency to continue blinking even when the blink dog is dead.

The eater of a Blinking Breast gains the ability to blink, much like a blink dog. Activating or deactivating the blinking requires a standard action. In addition, the eater may teleport up to 30 feet as a standard action as long as his is under the effect of the blinking breast.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the range of the teleportation is increased by 5 feet. If you beat the DC by 15, the action required to activate or deactivate the abilities granted by the blinking breast is reduced to a move action.

Boiled Claws
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boiled Claws
    Cut: Fingers
    Ingredient Creatures: Chuul, Giant Scorpion

This hard-shelled claw is usually served with a buttery dipping sauce and eaten by pulling the meat out of the claw. If the boiling water is treated properly, the shell of the claw itself may also be eaten, but it‘s mostly flavorless.

The eater of Boiled Claws gains a pair of claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage as his fingers become encased in hard, bony shell. The eater gains a +2 bonus to grapple checks, and may deal claw damage automatically with a successful grapple check.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 bonus to grapple checks.

Boiled Vines
    Spoiler
    Show
    Boiled Vines
    Cut: Arms
    Servings: 2
    Cook DC: 20
    Ingredient Creatures: Assasin Vine, Shambling Mound, Tendriculous

This dish is made from the vines of predatory plants, boiled until their almost wood-like texture is reduced to an edible one. Once soft, the vines are then sautéed with a mixture of other vegetables and some sauces, and served coiled on the plate like a spool of rope, with the other vegetables in the middle.

The eater of a boiled vine gains a +4 bonus on grapple checks. In addition, the eater gains the ability to constrict a grappled opponent, dealing 1d6 damage plus one and a half times his strength modifier with a successful grapple check.

Augment:
    For every five points you bet the DC by, the eater gains an additional +2 to grapple checks.

Bulette Claws
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bullete Claws
    Minimum Ranks: 10
    Cut: Thigh
    Cook DC: 26
    Ingredient Creatures:

This dish is prepared by carefully separating the meat from the bone of the bullete‘s legs and pan-frying it thoroughly. The meat has an earthy flavor, but yields a delicious flavor if you can deal with it‘s toughness.

The eater of bulette claws gains two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage. If the eater leaps into the air by making a DC 20 jump check, he can make four claw attacks instead of two.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111

'Nother batch of dishes.

Candied Carapace
    Spoiler
    Show
    Candied Carapace
    Cook DC: 16
    Ingredient Creatures: Chuul, Ankeg, Bulette, Frost Worm, Phase Spider, Purple Worm, Remorhaz, Giant Ant, Giant Bee, Giant Bombardier Beetle, Giant Fire Beetle, Giant Stag Beetle, Giant Praying Mantis, Giant Wasp, Giant Centipede, Giant Scorpion, Giant Spider

This dish is prepared by removing the thickest portions of shell off a creature with an exoskeleton, then sinking the carved-up shell into a sweet, syrupy solution and letting it soak. When pulled out, the shell crumbles easily to the bite and has a sweet, sugary flavor.

The eater of Candied Carapace gains a +2 bonus to natural armor.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, the bonus to natural armor increases by 1.

Candied Mandibles
    Spoiler
    Show
    Candied Mandiles
    Cook DC: 16
    Ingredient Creatures: Ankeg, Frost Worm, Purple Worm, Remorhaz, Spider Eater, Giant Ant, Giant Bombardier Beetle, Giant Fire Beetle, Giant Stag Beetle, Giant Praying Mantis.

This dish is prepared by removing the mandibles of a creature with an exoskeleton, then sinking the carved-up mandibles into a sweet, syrupy solution and letting it soak. When pulled out, the shell crumbles easily to the bite and has a sweet, sugary flavor

The eater of the candied mandibles gains a bite attack that deals 1d6 damage.

Cat’s Tongue
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cat‘s Tongue
    Minimum Ranks: 5
    Cook DC: 18
    Ingredient Creatures: Leopard, Lion, Tiger, Dire Lion, Dire Tiger, Dragonne, Tarrasque

This dish is made from the tongue of a feline boiled and finely chopped into thin slices. Generally, most cooks serve this dish without telling their patrons what part of the animal it‘s made of.

The eater of this dish gains a +4 bonus on intimidate checks. In addition, as a move action, the eater may roar, terrifying all creatures nearby. All creatures within 30 feet must make a will save (DC 10+½ cook’s level+eater’s cha) or be shaken for the duration of the encounter.

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, you gain an additional +2 to intimidate checks.

Chilled Breast
    Spoiler
    Show
    Chilled Breast
    Minimum Ranks: 8
    Servings: 2
    Cook DC: 23
    Ingredient Creatures: Frost Worm, Winter Wolf

This slice of meat chills itself. Most chefs prepare this dish on extremely high heat to counteract the cooling effect. Once cooked through, this cut is allowed to re-chill itself and served cold, often with a side of salad or cold pasta salad.

The eater of a Chilled Breast is chilled to the bone. They gain immunity to cold. In addition, the eater’s breath chills. If the eater hits an opponent with a bite attack, he deals an additional 1d6 cold damage, and, as a standard action, he can breathe out a 30-foot cone of cold air every 1d4 rounds, dealing 2d6 cold damage (reflex DC 10+½ cook‘s level+wis)

Augment:
    For every 5 points you beat the DC by, your cold breath deals an additional 1d6 damage, and for every 10 points, you deal an additional 1d6 cold damage with a bite.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-10-29 at 04:07 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Not to be stealin' your thunder, but I believe you mis-spelled 'basilisk' back there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

23. - Top - End - #113

Huh. My spell check apparently has a weird spelling of it installed.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

GAME HUNTER
    Eschewing some of your connection with the wild spirit of the world, you instead reap divine benefits from hunting and feasting on monsters.
    Level: Ranger 1st
    Replaces: If you select this class feature you do not gain Wild Empathy and never gain divine spells or spell slots.
    Benefit: You gain the Connoisseur feature at 1st level. This feature allows you to prepare dishes from various cuts of creatures using the Craft (Cooking) skill to produce extraordinary and often supernatural effects. Additionally, you add the bonuses to skills you would normally get from your Favored Enemy feature to your Craft (Cooking) skill when preparing dishes obtained from cuts of your Favored Enemies. You have a Chef level equal to your Ranger level.

And now we all can play with these rules. Ka-ching!

Connoisseur does for Craft (Cooking) what Trapfinding does for Disable Device, expanding its usage into something more valuable, but only for classes that have it as a class feature.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2010-10-29 at 01:41 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Special Thanks: Kymme! You and your awesome avatarist skills have made me a Lore Warden in addition to King of Fighter Fixes!

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Ziegander View Post
    GAME HUNTER
    Eschewing some of your connection with the wild spirit of the world, you instead reap divine benefits from hunting and feasting on monsters.
    Replaces: If you select this class feature you do not gain Wild Empathy and never gain divine spells or spell slots.
    Benefit: You gain the Connoisseur feature at 1st level. This feature allows you to prepare dishes from various cuts of creatures using the Craft (Cooking) skill to produce extraordinary and often supernatural effects. Additionally, you add the bonuses to skills you would normally get from your Favored Enemy feature to your Craft (Cooking) skill when preparing dishes obtained from cuts of your Favored Enemies. You have a Chef level equal to your Ranger level.

Connoisseur does for Craft (Cooking) what Trapfinding does for Disable Device, expanding its usage into something more valuable, but only for classes that have it as a class feature.
    I approve! Only one thing: Since craft (cooking) wasn't quite it, I ended up making a new cooking skill, based off wis. So, the only change is that instead of opening up craft (cooking) it's add cooking to the class skills.
    Another thing: anyone CAN cook, but you have to buy your ranks cross-class, and since dishes are based off minimum ranks, you would be progressing at half-speed. You wouldn't even be able to make 1st-level dishes until level 4.

But yes, I whole-heartedly approve of the idea of a bushmeat ranger.

EDIT: APPARENTLY, I've forgotten to include this information in the front. Editing now.
    Last edited by Admiral Squish; 2010-10-29 at 02:40 AM.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116

Chimera

GAME HUNTER

Wow, I heartily approve this feat. Now, to find a campaign idea that can put this into use extensively and someone to DM it.

Oh, candied carapace seems yummy but I believe you mispelled 'portion'
    Last edited by Salbazier; 2010-10-29 at 04:06 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharkash View Post
    Let us be enlightened by the wisdom of urban dictionary:
    2. opinion
    immunity to being told your wrong

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by Salbazier View Post
    Wow, I heartily approve this feat. Now, to find a campaign idea that can put this into use extensively and someone to DM it.

Oh, candied carapace seems yummy but I believe you misspelled 'portion'
    It's more an ACF, I believe. At least, that's what I put it under when I applied it to the front page...

As for misspelling, I kinda am beginning to hate the auto-fix feature of my word processor.

Thing that has come to my attention: We need prices for materials. I'm thinking a scaling price based off the minimum ranks required to create the dish, but I'm not exactly sure of how to make that happen in a way that scales nicely with WBL. I'm also worried this would provide an additional income for cooking-related characters.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    It's more an ACF, I believe. At least, that's what I put it under when I applied it to the front page...
    I designed it to be an Alternate Class Feature, yes.

Thing that has come to my attention: We need prices for materials. I'm thinking a scaling price based off the minimum ranks required to create the dish, but I'm not exactly sure of how to make that happen in a way that scales nicely with WBL. I'm also worried this would provide an additional income for cooking-related characters.
    I wouldn't worry about the "additional income" issue. Characters can break wealth by level with incredible ease if they want, without ever needing to leave Core, by 3rd level when they can all afford to buy a Candle of Invocation and Gate in a Wish spell for a Wishblade or something.

Using the normal Craft rules you could assign a sale price to each dish equal to roughly... 20gp/required rank. If you did so a completed dish requiring 4 ranks to cook would be sold at market for 80gp, the materials to create said dish could be bought for a quarter of that price at 20gp, and the character cooking the dish could only sell it for 40gp. Note that characters can already do stuff like this with the regular Craft and/or Profession rules if they want it just takes more time.

To keep higher level ingredients more restrictive it would be better to assign a cost by level rather than by skill ranks. Basing this off of the cost of scrolls, if we compare the effects of cooking dishes to spells, 1st level ingredients (requiring 4 ranks in Cooking) might cost 10gp, while 3rd level ingredients (requiring 6 ranks in Cooking) might cost 75gp. In the middle (roughly equivalent to crafting a scroll of a 1st and one half level spell), 2nd level ingredients (requiring 5 ranks in Cooking) might cost 40gp. At higher levels 15th level ingredients (requiring 18 ranks in Cooking) might cost 1,500gp. In this model a completed dish could theoretically be sold at market for double the price of its ingredient.

Considering rarity of species however it might be better for in-game realism if you set a market price for every individual dish based on the power level of the dish (for example, Aboleth Brain is clearly much more powerful than a 5th level spell effect) and the rarity of the creature.
    Last edited by Ziegander; 2010-10-29 at 07:06 AM.
    Homebrew

Other Stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something's Cooking - Free Adventure

Note: Profession [Cook] check is the main staple for all cooking related checks in dnd, that and Profession [Baker] as baking covers pastries and while an ordinary cook can bake, no ordinary cook can apply said cooking knowledge expertly to pastries.

I've studied cooking quite extensively IRL, and the tuitions required for different red seal levels in different schools. This is the trend.
    1 Year Theory - 1.5 Years Application : Red Seal
    +1 Year Theory - Baker
    +2 Years Post-Baking - Pastry Chef

30. - Top - End - #120

I wouldn't worry about the "additional income" issue. Characters can break wealth by level with incredible ease if they want, without ever needing to leave Core, by 3rd level when they can all afford to buy a Candle of Invocation and Gate in a Wish spell for a Wishblade or something.

True enough, but most DMs know to lookout for that stuff. Most DMs won't be expecting a homebrew to actively provide a way to destroy stuff.

Using the normal Craft rules you could assign a sale price to each dish equal to roughly... 20gp/required rank. If you did so a completed dish requiring 4 ranks to cook would be sold at market for 80gp, the materials to create said dish could be bought for a quarter of that price at 20gp, and the character cooking the dish could only sell it for 40gp. Note that characters can already do stuff like this with the regular Craft and/or Profession rules if they want it just takes more time.

Using that system, you could buy a chunk of tarrasque shell for 460 G. This does not scale enough for the higher levels.

To keep higher level ingredients more restrictive it would be better to assign a cost by level rather than by skill ranks. Basing this off of the cost of scrolls, if we compare the effects of cooking dishes to spells, 1st level ingredients (requiring 4 ranks in Cooking) might cost 10gp, while 3rd level ingredients (requiring 6 ranks in Cooking) might cost 75gp. In the middle (roughly equivalent to crafting a scroll of a 1st and one half level spell), 2nd level ingredients (requiring 5 ranks in Cooking) might cost 40gp. At higher levels 15th level ingredients (requiring 18 ranks in Cooking) might cost 1,500gp. In this model a completed dish could theoretically be sold at market for double the price of its ingredient.

This model seems appropriate, but I think dishes would require special rules. you can't just go to market and offer a guy a plate of behir brisket. No, you'd need to set up some kind of arcane bake sale or a restaurant.

Considering rarity of species however it might be better for in-game realism if you set a market price for every individual dish based on the power level of the dish (for example, Aboleth Brain is clearly much more powerful than a 5th level spell effect) and the rarity of the creature.
    Well, the thing is, it's ingredients by dish, not by creature. The dishes can be made from multiple creature, and the DC/min ranks are based off the creature with the lowest CR among them. So, you don't have to hunt down a colossal giant spider every time you want a bitter venom shake, you can go to the lowest creature available and kill a tiny viper. so, if you're looking for the ingredients for a dish with a higher DC, that means the lowest creature that makes that dish is strong, and this would be more expensive than a lower DC dish.
    Responded in bold.
    My Homebrew

Current Projects:

Spoiler
    Show